Review: Blind Faith by Stephen Tucker

In here you'll find rabbits in hats and aces up sleeves.
EndersGame
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes

Review: Blind Faith by Stephen Tucker

Unread post by EndersGame »

Blind Faith by Stephen Tucker

A smart in-the-hands monte routine that's super easy to perform

Overview

Of all the genres of card magic, the one that I have a special fondness for is packet tricks. I know that I'm not alone, because card magic has a long history in this area. And packet tricks still continue to be popular today.

Part of the appeal of a good packet trick is that it packs small and plays big. In fact, some of the best card tricks in the world are packet tricks. Notable examples include Dai Vernon's Twisting the Aces, Frank Garcia's Wild Card, Jim Temple's Color Monte, Max Maven's B'Wave, and Michael Skinner's Ultimate 3 Card Monte.

A packet trick that I've especially been enjoying recently is Stephen Tucker's Blind Faith, which was produced by Big Blind Media. Consisting of just four cards, it enables you to do an in-the-hands monte routine that is quite spectacular, and yet can be accomplished with ease.

Effect

Most people will be more than familiar with the premise of card monte routine: one card is the odd one out in a set of three cards, and your spectator has to try to keep track of this "money" card.

In Blind Faith as seen in the performance video, the challenge is to pick out the red King from two black 8s. Initially your spectators get two chances to find the money card from just two face-down cards. When that proves impossible, they'll get suspicious that perhaps all three cards are in fact black spot cards. But then comes the first twist: you show that the money card is indeed among them: a red King.

In the second phase, your spectator again fails in a couple of attempts to find the money card. Now come a second twist: all the cards are revealed to be black number cards. Somehow the red King has been magically transported to your pocket!

In a final phase, your spectator finally manages to pick out the red King correctly. But that's only because you perform with all the cards face-up, to make it easy for them, so they really can't go wrong! But a surprise still awaits, because incredibly the money card turns out to have a different coloured back, along with the words "It's This One!"!

You can see the entire routine performed in this promo video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqzB2m5QE7A

Contents

This packet trick comes inside a clear plastic package, and includes a card with a link for downloading the video instructions, along with a password. Next is a blue envelope, inside of which is a generic plastic wallet in black, the kind typically used for storing and carrying packet tricks. I like the fact that this is included, because it's handy for protecting the cards when shelving them or when carrying them around.

Inside the wallet are the four cards you need for the trick. They aren't identical to the ones seen in the video trailer; mine were the Jack of Hearts and the Ten of Spades. But clearly they have opted to ensure that the cards are a good contrast, with a court card for the odd card out, and opposite coloured number cards for the other cards. It's Bicycle quality stock, with standard artwork for the court cards, so it immediately looks familiar.

The odd card out doesn't have text written on the card, as shown in the video trailer. So it's up to you to do that if you wish, and you can opt to use a symbol like a big cross instead, or just go with the different coloured card back.

Video

The tutorial video runs for 14 minutes, which includes a full performance, along with an introduction, an overview of what's good about the trick, and a look at the cards. That takes about six minutes, and the actual explanation of how to do the trick only takes up another six minutes. The final couple of minutes includes an explanation of the Olram Subtlety by Ed Marlo, which you can use if you perform this on a table instead of in the hands, although even then this move is optional.

The teaching is by Liam Montier. Big Blind Media regulars will be very familiar with Liam from many of their other videos and products. As usual, he does a good job of explaining everything.

The production quality is exactly what we've come to expect from Big Blind Media: top visuals and top sound. These guys are top tier when it comes to production, and this instructional video is no exception.

Difficulty

The handling is smooth and easy, because there's a single gaff card that does all the work for you. The only real sleight of hand required in the whole routine is a double lift. Since you're working with just a packet of three cards, it's very easy to get into this move, and there's really no heat on you when you're doing it at that moment. While this trick is not something that's self-working, it is well within the reach of someone who has some basic experience with handling cards, say between beginner and intermediate level.

You do of course need to remember correctly the sequence of moves that you are performing. What can make this a bit tricky for you as a performer is that you're staring at the back of a gaff card, and this can mess with your mind a little. But it's just a matter of practicing enough to ensure that you have the handling straight, and you should have no difficulty with this at all.

Unlike some other monte routines on the market, Blind Faith is surprisingly easy to learn and perform. The gaff does all the work for you, and if you're worried about this screaming "gimmicked cards" to some spectators, it's especially wonderful that you're left completely clean at the end, and can actually hand out the three cards for examination. And if you're creative, there's even potential for developing your own comic presentation.

Recommendation

There's a lot to like about this clever little packet trick:
● It packs small, using just four cards, and even comes with a protective wallet.
● It uses the well-known monte concept, but moves quickly, while presenting things in a way that makes it seem truly impossible.
● It has several phases as part of a well-constructed routine, including a couple of unexpected twists.
● It is not difficult to learn, with the only sleight required being a simple double lift, at a moment where you can easily get away with it.
● It is completely examinable at the end.
● It is particularly well-suited as a worker for walk-around performing, can be done at chest height, and resets easily.
● It can be performed live, but works equally well on camera for Zoom or social media.

Blind Faith really does live up to the ad copy. A workers monte routine that fits in your wallet as the perfect pocket trick, using just four Bicycle stock cards? Yes. Easy, simple moves? Yes. Visual, practical, fooling, ends clean? Yes. Works live or on videochat? Also yes. It really does tick all the boxes. All the reviews I've seen of this have been universally positive, and I heartily agree.

I was impressed when I first saw the performance video, and Blind Faith has proved to be everything that I'd expected and hoped for. Highly recommended if you enjoy packet tricks or monte routines, and want something you can easily perform, and yet still packs a real punch.

Want to learn more? Visit the product page over at Big Blind Media.

--
BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame => Playing Card Reviews <=>Magic Reviews <=> Board Game Reviews <=