Nightdreams and Daymares by Native Tongue

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
GandalfPC
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Ambergris
Decks Owned: 1700

Re: Nightdreams and Daymares by Nativetongue

Unread post by GandalfPC »

I am a touch worried myself, but these things take time - my hope holds
Hunting Karl Gerich and Elaine Lewis

My collection and tradelist: http://gandalfpc.great-site.net
Fenrir
White Whale: No 17 Crown
Decks Owned: 475

Unread post by Fenrir »

I have confidence Brad will deliver and I hope everything is okay with him.
CCwonder

Unread post by CCwonder »

Strag wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:52 am This was more the straw that broken the Camel's back for me. Of course it's not just this one, but the list of Kickstarters I have backed that didn't deliver and/or ghosted backers is just far too long. I haven't added up the money it's cost me and I don't want to, but it's definitely mid 4-figs (that is, around $5K). So yeah, I don't think swearing off all Kickstarters is a bridge too far.

In terms of increasing costs to acquire decks, it can actually often be the opposite where I am able to acquire decks in the aftermarket for less, and with little to no risk.

Overall I am rethinking my approach to collecting and as a few people on here know, I've actually started to sell off parts of my collection, albeit very slowly.
Where can the sales for your collection be seen?
Strag
White Whale: None
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Strag »

CCwonder wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:07 pm
Strag wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:52 am This was more the straw that broken the Camel's back for me. Of course it's not just this one, but the list of Kickstarters I have backed that didn't deliver and/or ghosted backers is just far too long. I haven't added up the money it's cost me and I don't want to, but it's definitely mid 4-figs (that is, around $5K). So yeah, I don't think swearing off all Kickstarters is a bridge too far.

In terms of increasing costs to acquire decks, it can actually often be the opposite where I am able to acquire decks in the aftermarket for less, and with little to no risk.

Overall I am rethinking my approach to collecting and as a few people on here know, I've actually started to sell off parts of my collection, albeit very slowly.
Where can the sales for your collection be seen?
They have been all private to date, as I don't really have the time to really do sales properly.
Strag

Unread post by Strag »

I really did want this campaign (and also CARDS) to deliver but both are seeming increasingly remote with NativeTongue not having logged in here or on Kickstarter in over 2 months. Really hope they reconsider and decide to communicate to backers at least for closure purposes if nothing more.
bdawg923
White Whale: bdawg x 923

Unread post by bdawg923 »

I wrote it off. So disappointing.
This comment has been mod-approved since you are able to see it.
steampunk52

Unread post by steampunk52 »

I had signed up for his Patreon and he was once very active and responsive to messages. However, he went dark there as well. I reached out directly there, but nothing. Whatever has happened, it must be substantial (as Gandalf implies). Hopefully, he and family are doing ok. As for the projects, if they dont deliver, I presume it's not for lack of desire to finish them. That said, I cancelled my Patreon and dont expect further fulfiullment at this point. However, I hope to be pleasantly surprised.
BaconWise
White Whale: Gold Arabesque
Decks Owned: 225

Unread post by BaconWise »

I picked up the mini NIghtdreams & Daymares Jr. deck from Wounded Corner and it is so fantastic. Unfortunately, I picked it up because I don't know what to expect as a backer of the actual campaign. I really do hope it gets fulfilled because he did a great job, but the outlook is pretty grim.
"But why male models?"

Curio Playing Cards

Web: www.curioplayingcards.com
Instagram: @curio_playingcards
Facebook: Curio Playing Cards
bdawg923
White Whale: bdawg x 923

Unread post by bdawg923 »

How did they have these?
This comment has been mod-approved since you are able to see it.
BaconWise
White Whale: Gold Arabesque
Decks Owned: 225

Unread post by BaconWise »

bdawg923 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:39 pm How did they have these?
I believe decks were sent out to his Patreon supporters a few months ago. I am not a subscriber, so I can't say for certain.
"But why male models?"

Curio Playing Cards

Web: www.curioplayingcards.com
Instagram: @curio_playingcards
Facebook: Curio Playing Cards
kevork
White Whale: NPCCD 17 Amethyst + Prototypes
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by kevork »

Well, Steve also has his connections and will get prototype decks and special shipments for his website. He's not only a retailer but also a deck producer and has hosted a web talk show on playing cards. I've yet to see anyone post this deck on social media, otherwise. If Baconwise is accurate, then patrons got undue special treatment.

I, too, hope to be pleasantly surprised. I'd go even as far as to say I hope the color version of this series comes to fruition as well.
Image@playingcardophile
Invisible ink. Who woulda thunk it?
[BUY] Complete Lotrek Collection
[BUY] NPCCD Decks
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

I guess I have been too busy myself lately to even realize that Brad has been silent these past couple of months. I am a Patron of his this year. From what I remember, he was getting really busy with his main design work. He had been doing a lot of work for a Texas clothing manufacturer if memory serves me correctly. I think it is very possible that this part of his business has exploded such that he has been forced to focus his time on it. Even so, the occasional shout out to his backers and Patrons is always a good idea. I am sure stuff will come through in due course.
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
Fenrir

Unread post by Fenrir »

kevork wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:30 pm Well, Steve also has his connections and will get prototype decks and special shipments for his website. He's not only a retailer but also a deck producer and has hosted a web talk show on playing cards. I've yet to see anyone post this deck on social media, otherwise. If Baconwise is accurate, then patrons got undue special treatment.

I, too, hope to be pleasantly surprised. I'd go even as far as to say I hope the color version of this series comes to fruition as well.
The mini decks were sent out awhile back and were on both the FB groups and Instagram. Haven’t seen one in awhile but that may be why you haven’t seen it.
kevork

Unread post by kevork »

Fenrir wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:50 pm
kevork wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:30 pm Well, Steve also has his connections and will get prototype decks and special shipments for his website. He's not only a retailer but also a deck producer and has hosted a web talk show on playing cards. I've yet to see anyone post this deck on social media, otherwise. If Baconwise is accurate, then patrons got undue special treatment.

The mini decks were sent out awhile back and were on both the FB groups and Instagram. Haven’t seen one in awhile but that may be why you haven’t seen it.
Welp. I never received mine.
Image@playingcardophile
[BUY] NPCCD Decks
Fenrir

Unread post by Fenrir »

kevork wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:28 pm
Fenrir wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:50 pm

Welp. I never received mine.
Strange. Are you are a patreon? It may have been the special incentive where you have to be a patreon and back. I’m not sure. I could ask around.
kevork

Unread post by kevork »

Fenrir wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:43 pm Strange. Are you are a patreon? It may have been the special incentive where you have to be a patreon and back. I’m not sure. I could ask around.
I was not on the patreon but I did back the KS, including a mini deck. Perhaps patrons got the mini early as you said.
Image@playingcardophile
[BUY] NPCCD Decks
brownsl
White Whale: UUSI Le Jeu De Tarot
Decks Owned: 10000

Unread post by brownsl »

I went back and checked my pledge and it was $251 and another $137 on C.A.R.D.S. Really hope that they both end up fulfilling. I have lost quite a bit of money on KS campaigns and direct purchases the last couple of years. I would hate to add it up. Seems like an incredible amount of designers are having personal issues. Or, they are saying they do to hopefully keep the mob at bay. To be honest, my sympathy is waning.
Fenrir

Unread post by Fenrir »

kevork wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:00 am
Fenrir wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:43 pm Strange. Are you are a patreon? It may have been the special incentive where you have to be a patreon and back. I’m not sure. I could ask around.
I was not on the patreon but I did back the KS, including a mini deck. Perhaps patrons got the mini early as you said.
I checked and yes, if you were a patron and backed the campaign this was a special gift for patrons only. Mini decks backed in the campaign are part of that fulfillment we are all waiting for.
CCwonder

steampunk52 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:48 am I had signed up for his Patreon and he was once very active and responsive to messages. However, he went dark there as well. I reached out directly there, but nothing. Whatever has happened, it must be substantial (as Gandalf implies). Hopefully, he and family are doing ok. As for the projects, if they dont deliver, I presume it's not for lack of desire to finish them. That said, I cancelled my Patreon and dont expect further fulfiullment at this point. However, I hope to be pleasantly surprised.
Are refunds available on patreon if a creator doesn't fulfill their rewards that are advertised for signing up?
CCwonder

Bradius wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:33 pm I guess I have been too busy myself lately to even realize that Brad has been silent these past couple of months. I am a Patron of his this year. From what I remember, he was getting really busy with his main design work. He had been doing a lot of work for a Texas clothing manufacturer if memory serves me correctly. I think it is very possible that this part of his business has exploded such that he has been forced to focus his time on it. Even so, the occasional shout out to his backers and Patrons is always a good idea. I am sure stuff will come through in due course.
I believe it's been just under 5 months since the last ks update. Has there been any news or word from Brad since the ks update?
GandalfPC
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Ambergris
Decks Owned: 1700

Unread post by GandalfPC »

I heard from him a while ago - a month or more - he had some personal issue that we are awaiting his recovery from with crossed fingers and at this point, and general nervousness
Hunting Karl Gerich and Elaine Lewis

My collection and tradelist: http://gandalfpc.great-site.net
Bradius

Unread post by Bradius »

I went back and checked my Patreon posts for Native Tongue and his last post was at the end of August, which I don't count as an insanely long amount of time (I have been trained by Lotrek). At that time he posted some images of the Patreon exclusive deck he was working on, as well as some designs he was doing for a local retailer, Perdido Provisions.

PerdidoProv01.JPG
PerdidoProv01.JPG (29.77 KiB) Viewed 10538 times
CCwonder

Bradius wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:44 pm I went back and checked my Patreon posts for Native Tongue and his last post was at the end of August, which I don't count as an insanely long amount of time (I have been trained by Lotrek). At that time he posted some images of the Patreon exclusive deck he was working on, as well as some designs he was doing for a local retailer, Perdido Provisions.
5 months is a long time though to wait for a ks update. The campaign is getting closer to being funded 1 and a half years ago. I saw that Stockholm 17 has commented about it on ks.
hsbc
White Whale: Grid 1 LE
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by hsbc »

KS wrote:...

I’m here now to let you all know that I am back and I am intent on getting this project back in motion. ... With that being said, after this and the other project (C.A.R.D.S.) are fulfilled I will not be producing any more decks and will be strictly designing for others. I’m working now to figure out the way forward and I will certainly keep you all updated soon on what the plan is and it’s progress.

In an attempt to further put your minds at ease that I didn’t just run off with the funds, here are a few pictures taken when all of this stuff originally came in. You’ll see everything here with the exception of the decks…

P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
Harvonsgard
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

Good news. Would have been a nightmare if they would've never seen the daylight.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
Strag

Unread post by Strag »

Very glad he has resurfaced. Also a very wise decision, I wish more deisgners would stick to just that, when they are clearly talented, and let others do the fulfillment work for them.
kevork

Unread post by kevork »

KS price was $14 and it looks like we'll be getting our decks soon, but if anyone wants a mini deck right now, then here's one for 25€:
https://www.dutchcutdecks.com/product/1 ... aymares-jr
Image@playingcardophile
[BUY] NPCCD Decks
Strag

Unread post by Strag »

Well back to being very pessimistic about this and C.A.R.D.S.
I’m working now to figure out the way forward and I will certainly keep you all updated soon on what the plan is and it’s progress.
Nothing for over 2 months now. Never did update anything on C.A.R.D.S. project. Even a post to say he's not going to complete would be welcomed at this point, if only to put things to bed.

I really hope that whatever caused the initial delays hasn't come back again for him, but in any case I'm just unable to compreheand not being able to take 5 minutes to say that even if nothing else.
Bradius

Unread post by Bradius »

I did get a package from Brad last week, so he is still around. I think he has just been either really busy with his other design work or family issues or maybe both. I think the decision to focus on finishing and delivering these two Kickstarter projects first is wise. I can't imagine how much effort is involved in these playing card Kickstarter projects. Anyone that thinks this is the path to vast riches is deluding themselves. Still, I guess it isn't impossible to make some money, or no one would do it. Jack Brutus mentioned on his campaign a couple of days ago that he was still below break-even for his Kickstarter at that point.
Strag

Unread post by Strag »

Yeah it's not about being a path to riches. It's about being a decent human and communicating with the people who have given you money. I've spent over $400 across 2 projects well over a year ago. Being ghosted doesn't make me feel good, when I've tried to contact him in every conceivable way.

Help me understand why it's ok to go dark? Two months ago he apologised and did a Black Friday sale on his site. Were those connected?

Tell me it'll be another year and that you'll update every month and at least I know something is moving. Not being able to take 5 minutes to write a message is ????