TGW presents The Beetlebacks designed by Widakk

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
Evilgamer
Collector: Yes

Re: TGW presents The Beetlebacks designed by Widakk

Unread post by Evilgamer »

I'll be honest not really in for the gaffe pack. I do think I would have gone for the marked deck but thats a different beast cost wise and still might only have limited interest.
brownsl
White Whale: UUSI Le Jeu De Tarot
Decks Owned: 10000

Unread post by brownsl »

I will second Evilgamer, I do not have any interest in a gaffe pack.
jasonx73it
White Whale: Blue Golden Oath

Unread post by jasonx73it »

Only thing that I would really like is the 600% unlock.
Other than that gaff pack and marked deck would really make sense for the highest tiers but I don't think missing them would devalue them.
Timmargh
Player: Yes
White Whale: Cartes Indiennes green back

Unread post by Timmargh »

I wish I could go in for more, but I’m happy with my red and Dynastinæ. (I’m not sure why, but I’ve been bitten by the Dynastinæ bug … or maybe it was a beetle. :D)

It’s not that I can’t afford it this time, I’m just at a point in my collecting that I don’t want multiples of everything. I’m still really chuffed that I got the Tempest big reward in the end, but selling off the brick was a pain.

EDIT: I should also add that I live in a single room in a neurological centre and am running out of space!
Evilgamer

jasonx73it wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:38 am Only thing that I would really like is the 600% unlock.
Other than that gaff pack and marked deck would really make sense for the highest tiers but I don't think missing them would devalue them.
I know I sound like a broken record so I'll stop after this.. I would really consider just unlocking the prism faces. I know that it's a not insignificant amount of money that has to be spent, but I truly believe that the lack of this unlock is going to result in a lot of canceled addons and possibly even higher tiers. There are right now going to be about 200 of these left to sell after the kickstarter to make up for that investment and they will be a lot more desirable with it.

I also realize you are trying to "move the needle" and even throwing in the reserve prisms is only going to go a little ways.
manu

Unread post by manu »

I would grab the gaff pack if it were available, but it seems I'm in the minority here
Sir Toddalot
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Delirium Signature Edition

Unread post by Sir Toddalot »

I would be in for a gaff pack if they became available! I’m currently trying to get into card magic, and this looks like a great pack.
“An open mind is like to an open wound, vulnerable to poison. Liable to fester. Apt to give its owner only pain.”

-Sand Dan Glokta, The First Law
balrog326

Unread post by balrog326 »

I know it won't happen but I wish the remaing 30 or so prototypes were available to purchase separately. The only thing holding me back from the proto tier is the fact that I definitely dont need an entire mixed brick on top of the set. I would rather pay $200 for a proto deck, its simply a lack of space which is why I can never buy bricks from campaigns. I obviously realize why Omar wouldn't do this but it is a quick way to add another 7k onto the total. Great campaign so far and glad to see its doing so well, I've been spreading the word to try and get more folks to become backers.
TheGentlemanWake
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by TheGentlemanWake »

Evilgamer wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:04 am
jasonx73it wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:38 am Only thing that I would really like is the 600% unlock.
I know I sound like a broken record so I'll stop after this.. I would really consider just unlocking the prism faces. I know that it's a not insignificant amount of money that has to be spent, but I truly believe that the lack of this unlock is going to result in a lot of canceled addons and possibly even higher tiers. There are right now going to be about 200 of these left to sell after the kickstarter to make up for that investment and they will be a lot more desirable with it.

I also realize you are trying to "move the needle" and even throwing in the reserve prisms is only going to go a little ways.
I appreciate how badly you want the prism faces unlock to happen but the project can simply not afford it. Losing a handful of completionist backers would be less expensive unfortunately. And I have a fiduciary duty to the campaign to make sure that no financial liabilities threaten the completion and fulfillment of the project. Remember there’s still a long road ahead with production and fulfillment and a lot can go wrong. Often the only way to deal with problems is growing money at them. If the goal was significantly closer. Let’s say just $2.5k away it might be possible. But we are $17k away from that as it currently stands.
For the best in playing cards related content:

https://www.wake.video/youtube
TheGentlemanWake
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

balrog326 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:06 pm I know it won't happen but I wish the remaing 30 or so prototypes were available to purchase separately. The only thing holding me back from the proto tier is the fact that I definitely dont need an entire mixed brick on top of the set. I would rather pay $200 for a proto deck, its simply a lack of space which is why I can never buy bricks from campaigns. I obviously realize why Omar wouldn't do this but it is a quick way to add another 7k onto the total. Great campaign so far and glad to see its doing so well, I've been spreading the word to try and get more folks to become backers.
Im not actually even sure how many prototypes I have. And if the price were indeed be $200 a deck it would be almost more expensive than purchasing the prototype tier and throwing away the brick box altogether. But unfortunately, and trust me I am trying to make everyone happy, it is impossible. And i doubt it would raise the funding level much because I suspect If prototypes were available as a base add-on some prototype tiers would adscond their pledges.

TheGentlemanWake
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

As far as the gaff pack is concerned I will likely use it as a backerkit stretch goal. Backer kit allows you to list an addon and if enough backers select it it unlocks. This will be a good way of at least giving the gaff pack a chance.

zuccha
Magician: Yes

Unread post by zuccha »

I'm not good at English so I can't participate in the conversation too much, but as a regular viewer, +1 to the demand for gaff pack.
I have only had red, blue and black Omar decks so far.
I am (a bit excitedly) BACK the COMPLETIONIST tier for this project.

I was thinking of buying "The Tale of the Tempest: Gaff Card Pack" when "The Corrupted" goes on sale at thegentlemanwake.com, but I bought it and Sarcophagus during the Blackfriday sale.
I hate Blackfriday!

Yes, I do magic as a hobby and I like Omar decks that are close to standard court cards. But do you guys use cards in this price range? Does it make sense for the deck to be ordered by mnemonica? I don't know... but I am sure that when the oil comes out of my parents' backyard, I will want to use Beetlebacks for everyday use. So I still want a gaff pack for that time.

I know it doesn't really matter to you, but maybe inflation in the U.S. is totally different from inflation in Japan, and last week's lunch box (katsudon) was $2.
IMG_20231107_123949.jpg
You can buy 10 of them at one Crimson Edition.
Evilgamer

I don't use any of the decks I buy from producers for play or magic, no.

If I was going to play cards with a deck I would use a $5 bicycle deck or something.

I open them, look at all the cards and then put them in 15 deck boxes. Some may never come back out again, others I will look at occasionally.

$2 for lunch might get you a Pepsi to drink in the US thats about it. (or a really cheap hamburger from McDonalds, not even a normal one)
kevork
White Whale: NPCCD 17 Amethyst + Prototypes

Unread post by kevork »

Yeah, what do you guys do with a brick of decks? I'm genuinely curious.

The only brick I have is Tale of the Tempest and that's because Lotrek played a role in it.
Image@playingcardophile
Invisible ink. Who woulda thunk it?
[BUY] Complete Lotrek Collection
[BUY] NPCCD Decks
zuccha
Magician: Yes

Unread post by zuccha »

Yes, I too shuffle it and put it away on the shelf, dreaming, "It would be great if I could use this deck in front of my friends at the bar."
As Evilgamer wrote before, I'm not very good at selling things either. So if I get a Brick in the COMPLETIONIST tier, I may be able to use some of it for everyday use.
"Don't touch them with those wet, beer-drinking hands!" I might say. :D
masagin303

Unread post by masagin303 »

kevork wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:52 pm Yeah, what do you guys do with a brick of decks? I'm genuinely curious.

The only brick I have is Tale of the Tempest and that's because Lotrek played a role in it.
So far I only grabbed Parlour, Tempest and now Beetlebacks bricks. All the single decks I get I open to appreciate the cards and then they are going to one my S17 shelves. Bricks go on a normal wooden shelf above my desk. They are still a design prop and also it is a preservation of decks for future generations. :)
Remember Earth clearly.
Evilgamer

zuccha wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:56 pm Yes, I too shuffle it and put it away on the shelf, dreaming, "It would be great if I could use this deck in front of my friends at the bar."
As Evilgamer wrote before, I'm not very good at selling things either. So if I get a Brick in the COMPLETIONIST tier, I may be able to use some of it for everyday use.
I don't have the patience for it. I didn't even get a single response when I tried to sell extra TWI incubo decks I got as part of a very large package, never even got a single response at "make an offer" and had the only eBay up for about a week at significantly less than retail and barely even got views I finally just took them down (rather than have to try to make sure it was kept at a competitive price).

Yeah Im pretty done with bricks now unless they are functionally free (the TWI brick kind of was)
Timmargh

Apologies for the off-subject question, but I thought I'd try my luck as there are a few TGW collectors in here: anyone know of anyone selling or willing to sell a Parlour Dynastinæ?
Evilgamer

Timmargh wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:26 pm Apologies for the off-subject question, but I thought I'd try my luck as there are a few TGW collectors in here: anyone know of anyone selling or willing to sell a Parlour Dynastinæ?
oddly, I just got one off eBay last week, It was about $130 (yes thats a lot but Im also a completionist and I wanted a complete set)

not sure how long it had been there, I know I didnt find it by looking for dynastinae earlier.

But depending on your comfort level with eBay and pricing, Id keep an eye.
Timmargh

Evilgamer wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:03 pm oddly, I just got one off eBay last week, It was about $130 (yes thats a lot but Im also a completionist and I wanted a complete set)

not sure how long it had been there, I know I didnt find it by looking for dynastinae earlier.

I'd be comfortable with that.

I thought I had a saved search set up but, after checking, it seems that I did not; I have one now.
Evilgamer

Timmargh wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:24 pm
I'd be comfortable with that.

I thought I had a saved search set up but, after checking, it seems that I did not; I have one now.
like I said I had been looking a few times and then Friday it was just there

he called it

"The Parlour Dynastinae Gilded Playing Card Deck Lotrek Gentleman Wake New/Sealed"
Disenchanted_11

Unread post by Disenchanted_11 »

zuccha wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:56 pm So if I get a Brick in the COMPLETIONIST tier, I may be able to use some of it for everyday use.
I think this literally implies what you do with bricks. Use them one by one until they all get wet and dirty :lol:
kevork

Unread post by kevork »

Evilgamer wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:03 pm
Timmargh wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:26 pm Apologies for the off-subject question, but I thought I'd try my luck as there are a few TGW collectors in here: anyone know of anyone selling or willing to sell a Parlour Dynastinæ?
oddly, I just got one off eBay last week, It was about $130 (yes thats a lot but Im also a completionist and I wanted a complete set)

$130 was a great price for it. I bought two at $200 each and then sold one back for the price I bought it for.
Image@playingcardophile
[BUY] NPCCD Decks
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

kevork wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:52 pm Yeah, what do you guys do with a brick of decks? I'm genuinely curious.

What do I do with them? Well, for starters...

A "house" made from bricks...just because I can.

:lol:
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
kevork

Unread post by kevork »

Let me know if you decide to open that as an Airbnb. I might be able to fit in there.

That's beautiful 😍
Image@playingcardophile
[BUY] NPCCD Decks
Timmargh

Bradius wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:49 pm What do I do with them? Well, for starters...

download/file.php?id=26772

A "house" made from bricks...just because I can.

:lol:

You should give it an appropriate name like, ooh, I don't know, The House Of The Ascending Diamond … ?
Honeybee
White Whale: Blk prototype Aviator Heritage
Decks Owned: 200

Unread post by Honeybee »

Evilgamer wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:47 pm I open them, look at all the cards and then put them in 15 deck boxes. Some may never come back out again, others I will look at occasionally.
Ignoring the marked decks I bought 6yrs ago, I have really only been collecting for 18mths. I have a 10 drawer file which will hold 260 decks (plus a box of unloved). I am aiming at restricting myself to that many decks as I want to be able to view all of them semi-regularly (which I do now), otherwise I do not see the point of having them.

A combination of what is on offer (declining) and self control (initial surge has obtained most of what was available and that I liked), I may succeed in staying under 300. I have definitely got my obsessiveness under control for it cannot be about getting new decks all the time ie. all about the hunt and not the product.

I am lucky I can still enjoy the hunt without making a kill/buy. I am in the enviable position of being retired and today I went through a sellers whole catalogue while he still has 50% off but in the end none of them were MUST haves despite some of them being on 50% sale plus another 50% off. I would rather put the money towards a deck that I am desperate to get (and some are testing my < $100Au/$66Us limit).It is the same with my love of horse racing - I have been going for decades and I don't have to have a bet (rarely do)

This forum is an outstanding outlet that costs nothing (don't even think about it GandalfPC)
KoD - my initials, no wonder I grew up a lover of playing cards
Avatar - Honeybee (No.15+17) Tuck pic by Randy Butterfield for PM
Harvonsgard
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

TheGentlemanWake wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:25 am I did that with the Successor Legacy edition and ended up being saddled with an extra 200 units I couldn't/can't sell
Dafuq what? That's why I dislike the "exclusive to..." marketing strategy. You shoot yourself in the foot.
I'd create an eBay account and would trickle them into the secondary market. Not what a Gentleman would do but that's why I'm not TGH, haha.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
TheGentlemanWake
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

SO according to kicktraq the Beetle Backs will close at $126k. If the trend of the last few days continues it could be 127k.

Obviously 600% is 135k. Not easy. But I'd be willing to make the prismatic faces happen at 130k. But the last day will be a whirlwind.

I'm going to be streaming on the final day of the campaign from 6pm to the last minute at 8pm eastern on Dec 8th. It's a friday. Hope everyone will join me on my youtube channel as we count down.

TheGentlemanWake
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Backertracker is being more generous calling it 139k. It's predicting a sharp incline in backers over the last 4-5 days.