TGW presents The Beetlebacks designed by Widakk

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
Disenchanted_11

Re: TGW presents The Beetlebacks designed by Widakk

Unread post by Disenchanted_11 »

I just like to add that when laitostar asked about the gold borders on Prestige edition, Omar responded with this:
Well it did and then technically lost it as people cancelled. I’m going to try to do it. Getting quotes from wjpc now.
I'm trying to clarify, but no response so far. Now this is unacceptable if he change the agreed and advertised final design.

And he will apparently ask quotations for holo faces for prism.
Hi <@537708489544302633> s im going to get quotes for everything and do what I can within the budget. But I cannot promise anything.
Honestly, I don't know what to believe at this point. There's been supposedly giveaways for sharing the beetlebacks campaign, but I guess it's been snowed under.

I like to support Omar until we get through the current projects.
Evilgamer
Collector: Yes

Unread post by Evilgamer »

He hasn't said anything that would indicate hes not going to honor the gold borders, the last time he mentioned it on a podcast they were still in there.

If he puts the holo faces back on I'll pick that deck back up too, assuming I can. I haven't heard that was remotely a plan though.

I believe the giveaways were some of the prototype decks (cartamundi printed with some of each deck variant present in one tuck)
Disenchanted_11

Evilgamer wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:56 pm He hasn't said anything that would indicate hes not going to honor the gold borders
Until the quotated quote? :lol:
I also get where those questions are coming from, because at some point Omar openly said he's regretting keeping those stretchgoals.

And yeah those are the supposedly giveaways, you can see it mentioned on KS updates, but nothing happened. Least of the problems, but still.
crazy_lazy

Unread post by crazy_lazy »

The holo faces were never unlocked, so there’s nothing to “put back” there. At this point he’s trying for the holo faces because he (and backers) want them, not because he is required to.

As for the giveaway, I admittedly haven’t been keeping track of the giveaway in KS updates, but I know he’s been having giveaways every episode of his podcast and on there he’s very public about announcing winners and having them contact him to ship prizes, so losing track of a giveaway doesn’t seem to be a routine for Omar
Disenchanted_11

We had to remind him multiple times before he was able to draw the Groundskeeper Cartamundi prototype giveaway, which kevork won, I believe. I lost track of how many giveaways from his podcast are there, and I'm not seeing anything about the winners yet, or he's not publicly announcing the winners which would be weird. I believe there are pending giveaways from SoCal, Lorenzo, Spacesuits, chambertincards, and from Wyrmwood.

I don't like to push this further, only for the sake of context. Card fulfillment stuffs should be and is Omar's priority.
And no, I'm not desperate for these giveaways :D
Evilgamer

Disenchanted_11 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 9:43 pm
Evilgamer wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:56 pm He hasn't said anything that would indicate hes not going to honor the gold borders
Until the quotated quote? :lol:
I also get where those questions are coming from, because at some point Omar openly said he's regretting keeping those stretchgoals.

And yeah those are the supposedly giveaways, you can see it mentioned on KS updates, but nothing happened. Least of the problems, but still.
Im unable to piece together the chronology of those data points. other than I know Omar has consistently said the gold borders stayed.

If he backs away from that will I be pissed? Yes, and it was the only reason I kept the solid gold deck.

I wrote the prism deck off because the faces weren't also supposed to be prism and I already had..I cant remember..2? 3? decks with that face.
TheGentlemanWake
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by TheGentlemanWake »

I spent 45 minutes writing a huge response and them UC timed me out so I lost the entire thing. I don't have the mental state to rewrite it.

SIGH. This is how this has gone for me lately.

Bullet points: I am TRYING to make this work. The campaign did not do well comparatively (worst performing TGW campaign despite having 6 deck offerings--Parlour (my first) did better with only 4 decks). Production costs are more expensive than ever. Fulfillment is more expensive than ever. If i absorbed the costs of the EU vat charges it would be untenable.

I made a commitment to print the black and gold borders (although I really shouldn't have). This will be honored even though the stretch goal was NOT met. I succumbed to the pressure of folks like Evil gamer and Disenchanted threatening to cancel their decks if the borders were not printed. Damned if you do damned if you dont.

I'm sorry that EU customers have to pay for VAT. I have allowed for backers to downgrade tiers in order to offset the additional amount owed if they so wish. For most EU customers the amounts are very small. Less than $10.

I'm deeply worried that the Playing Cards niche is dying.
For the best in playing cards related content:

https://www.wake.video/youtube
bdawg923
White Whale: bdawg x 923

Unread post by bdawg923 »

Would still like to hear your thoughts on the issue. Sucks your post got lost :/
This comment has been mod-approved since you are able to see it.
Evilgamer

You've got that flipped a little Omar, I threatened (more like said that I expected people to do it) to drop the prism deck sans a matching face and I did. Not once did I intentionally threaten to drop any other pledge even though I would have been sad to see the gold edges go away, I assumed that they would once the funding dropped.

The gold deck was the opposite, I stayed in it to help offset the last minute bleeding just a little BECAUSE you agreed to keep the gold borders on the other decks even though Im pretty sure I had come to view it as redundant in any form by that point. I would have stayed with the other 4 decks regardless because I collect your prestige and dynastinae editions and had decided to pick up the standard decks this time.

I do think a simpler mix next time is probably the right answer, and only having entire editions as unlocks, not features (and probably not having pledge levels that have decks that may never be made or personal pet peeve, expensive non-deck items).

I dont think it's dieing I do think that people are choosing to be less free in what they pick up based on price and features and that is going to cause producers in it just for a quick buck out.

I like your stuff, its what got me into collecting, and Ive been perfectly clear while that the grave witness art isn't really my favorite, I'll still pick up decks (dynastinae and prestige at the least if they are offered) just to support you, and Im very much looking forward to your other campaigns if and when those happen.
TheGentlemanWake
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Evilgamer wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 2:29 pm You've got that flipped a little Omar, I threatened (more like said that I expected people to do it) to drop the prism deck sans a matching face and I did. Not once did I intentionally threaten to drop any other pledge even though I would have been sad to see the gold edges go away, I assumed that they would once the funding dropped.

The gold deck was the opposite, I stayed in it to help offset the last minute bleeding just a little BECAUSE you agreed to keep the gold borders on the other decks even though Im pretty sure I had come to view it as redundant in any form by that point. I would have stayed with the other 4 decks regardless because I collect your prestige and dynastinae editions and had decided to pick up the standard decks this time.

I do think a simpler mix next time is probably the right answer, and only having entire editions as unlocks, not features (and probably not having pledge levels that have decks that may never be made or personal pet peeve, expensive non-deck items).

I dont think it's dieing I do think that people are choosing to be less free in what they pick up based on price and features and that is going to cause producers in it just for a quick buck out.

I like your stuff, its what got me into collecting, and Ive been perfectly clear while that the grave witness art isn't really my favorite, I'll still pick up decks (dynastinae and prestige at the least if they are offered) just to support you, and Im very much looking forward to your other campaigns if and when those happen.
I used the word threatened in a pejorative way and shouldn't have. It was more the THREAT of people dropping rather than people threatening. If that makes sense? So sorry for the misuse. Having said that, thank you for your support! Thank everyone for their support! Playing cards production is still a viable business. Barely. But it's only so because of backers/customers/fans like you.

Here are my hopes for the future.

1) I want to fulfill Goldsmith to the 300 or so who preordered it ASAP. This is well underway. With the decks printed, tucks printed and decks being assembled at WJPC. Awaiting shipment to Gamblers for fulfillment. Wood carat cases and coins are already there and waiting to be packed out.
2) I HOPE other customers find Goldsmith and it sells more decks. This will go towards bringing the project to a profitable conclusion. If it sells out eventually that would be fantastic. We only printed 750--in part to keep costs down and in part because we don't want to sit on dead stock. We reserve the right to print the remaining 250 but that seems unlikely.
3) I want to finish Beetle Backs production and get this project out asap. As it stands the cartamundi delay has created a ripple effect on the project timelines. So it seems we will be a little late. 3-4 months. I'm working to make up the time where I can. But production has yet to begin in earnest. Waiting on Goldsmith to be finished so WJPC can start up. In the meantime I hope some additional support rolls in for Beetlebacks with preorders open and with the surveys going out. This additional funding will help immensely.
4) I HOPE to launch Parlour V (fifth anniversary) decks with Lorenzo. This will be a small campaign. Likely launched before Beetle Backs has shipped--just because logistically it's important to keep things moving. Goldsmith, Groundskeeper and Corrupted will ALL likley be in customers hands by then.
5) I HOPE to launch Sanctuary/Villa Beluno decks with Kevin Cantrell. Small campaigns as well. Likely one of the two launched some time after Parlour and just before fulfillment on Beetlebacks. And the second launched as Parlour/Beetle Backs ship.
6) I HOPE to launch The Grave Witness with Russ Gray. Tent pole campaign. I THINK. Depends on what the market looks like. Russ had designed 6 editions. But perhaps only 4 get made. Originally I was planning a novella to go with it but I just don't think the juice is worth the squeeze there.

Evilgamer

TheGentlemanWake wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 3:16 pm
I used the word threatened in a pejorative way and shouldn't have. It was more the THREAT of people dropping rather than people threatening. If that makes sense? So sorry for the misuse. Having said that, thank you for your support! Thank everyone for their support! Playing cards production is still a viable business. Barely. But it's only so because of backers/customers/fans like you.
It's all good, question though. I just got my survey and the entry for the holo edition clearly says that the faces are also Holo. Is this correct?
TheGentlemanWake
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Evilgamer wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 4:07 pm
It's all good, question though. I just got my survey and the entry for the holo edition clearly says that the faces are also Holo. Is this correct?
No. I'll make this adjustment. I'm waiting on final quotes to decide. But no for now.

Evilgamer

TheGentlemanWake wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 4:08 pm
Evilgamer wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 4:07 pm
No. I'll make this adjustment. I'm waiting on final quotes to decide. But no for now.
Thanks I see the edit now, but with pictures showing The original plan, I can see this turning into another controversy later if the answer stays no. You've sold about 35 since I first looked at it.
brownsl
White Whale: UUSI Le Jeu De Tarot
Decks Owned: 10000

Unread post by brownsl »

Beetle Backs was the first campaign of yours I did not back as I was cutting way back on card spending at the time. I regret it now. Can a nonbacker place an order?
masagin303

Unread post by masagin303 »

I went all in (Completionist Tier) with this because of the EU friendly handling. Now I am looking at $100+ extra fees. :(
I will have to take it but it hurts. My only excuse is that this is really my only campaign in years so my card budget feels not that guilty lately. But ouch!
Remember Earth clearly.
Disenchanted_11

brownsl wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 4:18 pm Beetle Backs was the first campaign of yours I did not back as I was cutting way back on card spending at the time. I regret it now. Can a nonbacker place an order?
Click Pre-Order on KS page
TheGentlemanWake
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Hi all,

I received some advice from fellow creators and have decided to remove the VAT charges from Backerkit. I cannot guarantee that local postal services/delivery services will not require VAT on delivery, however this is the best bet to make the most folks happy.

Evilgamer

TheGentlemanWake wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 5:51 pm Hi all,

I received some advice from fellow creators and have decided to remove the VAT charges from Backerkit. I cannot guarantee that local postal services/delivery services will not require VAT on delivery, however this is the best bet to make the most folks happy.
Hopefully some appreciate you trying, I have less faith in humanity than that and more expect several all capital "why did I get another bill for this on delivery" posts when the time comes.
Disenchanted_11

My relatively short post got lost as well.

But it's along the lines of not being upset with the special mention above :lol: All my participation in discussions is because I love the product and as a voice of different perspective, as some kind of extra support. Lessons learned, no need to rehash. Will continue my support of TGW.
kevork
White Whale: NPCCD 17 Amethyst + Prototypes

Unread post by kevork »

I think exploring less variants per major campaign instead of sticking to the old formula might be a way to go. Speaking for myself, I was able to go all-in for Beetlebacks (~$330), but I don't know if I can sustain that for future campaigns.

When you say small campaigns, what do you mean, Omar? As far as I'm aware, while the "smaller" campaigns you listed offer less complexity in terms of deck variants, the CAP campaigns warrant a $100 commitment, which to me does not seem small for the collector.

4 campaigns expected to launch within this year is probably contributing to people having to be selective / burn out but I did watch your podcast today after it had aired and saw you were planning to launch these campaigns and then pause to re-evaluate things. That gave me better perspective on your goals and I also understand that these campaigns would have been more spaced out if it weren't for the whole Cartamundi debacle. I'm still going to be here to support as I pretty much love all the campaigns ahead despite being a bit impartial to Villa Beluno.

I really don't know a magic solution and I empathize with the "damned if you do; damned if you don't" predicament with many of the decisions having to be made.
Image@playingcardophile
Invisible ink. Who woulda thunk it?
[BUY] Complete Lotrek Collection
[BUY] NPCCD Decks
CourtCurator

Unread post by CourtCurator »

I pledged at the $1 no reward tier due to tight funds at the time with the intent to pick up a Legacy edition when the surveys came out. But, $15 shipping for one deck has me balking.
JazzBaloo

Unread post by JazzBaloo »

CourtCurator wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 11:56 pm I pledged at the $1 no reward tier due to tight funds at the time with the intent to pick up a Legacy edition when the surveys came out. But, $15 shipping for one deck has me balking.
It seems especially high if you consider that some other projects with WJPC decks are selling from 12€-15€ and offer much cheaper shipping rates or in some cases free. The current quality and pricing of the KS market has me buying in the aftermarket. Decks are cheaper and shipping is usually free and there is no bs with campaigns making changes halfway through or even worse, when the campaign is over. It also avoids the scams altogether. I believe that it isn't taking long for new card collectors to realize this and so the days of using Kickstarter as a store are nearing the end for some.
CourtCurator

Unread post by CourtCurator »

CourtCurator wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 11:56 pm I pledged at the $1 no reward tier due to tight funds at the time with the intent to pick up a Legacy edition when the surveys came out. But, $15 shipping for one deck has me balking.
I Just looked at pre-ordering on the The Gentleman Wake website and shipping is $9 instead of the $15 seen on BackerKit. Is there some sort of problem with shipping charges through BackerKit?
Disenchanted_11

I was thinking about adding the Legacy deck to my Prestige pledge, but then backerkit is asking me for additional $12 on top of $8 shipping I already paid on KS. Doesn't make sense at all so I just proceeded with my original pledge.

I'm not gonna sweat it though because one thing is for sure: shipping fee calculation is a sh*tshow everywhere. It's considering the box packaging weight and dimension, the shipping method to be used, where to ship. At some cases % of sale is added into it (just look at ebay lol). Then you'd wonder how come Vanishing inc. and Penguin magic is able to ship for free?

So yeah, for the most part, shipping fees are bitches you gonna have to endure to get something you like.
PiazzaDelivery

Unread post by PiazzaDelivery »

did the BackerKit go out to everyone yet?
"[...] But someday you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again."
https://www.portfolio52.com/profile/20093
Disenchanted_11

Yeah should be out for everyone
Harvonsgard
Cardist: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

TheGentlemanWake wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 1:37 pm I spent 45 minutes writing a huge response and them UC timed me out so I lost the entire thing.
Just a little tip, if you get timed out just hit back, then you'll be back at the submit page with your post intact. Ctrl+C the post and then log in and ctrl+V it.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
Honeybee
White Whale: Blk prototype Aviator Heritage
Decks Owned: 200

Unread post by Honeybee »

I have done the same plenty of times too harvs - you are right, the post is not lost, all I thought I have had to do is after going Back is just hit Submit again
KoD - my initials, no wonder I grew up a lover of playing cards
Avatar - Honeybee (No.15+17) Tuck pic by Randy Butterfield for PM
PiazzaDelivery

Unread post by PiazzaDelivery »

Disenchanted_11 wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 6:21 pm Yeah should be out for everyone
Ok well that's a tad worrisome. Completionist plus a couple add-ons and I've yet to receive anything. Ima hit up Omar if I haven't received anything in the next couple days.
"[...] But someday you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again."
https://www.portfolio52.com/profile/20093
TheGentlemanWake
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

PiazzaDelivery wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 8:00 pm
Disenchanted_11 wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 6:21 pm Yeah should be out for everyone
Ok well that's a tad worrisome. Completionist plus a couple add-ons and I've yet to receive anything. Ima hit up Omar if I haven't received anything in the next couple days.
Hi. Send me an email to info@thegentlemanwake.com

Make sure you are signing on with the correct email. Check spam folders too!