2020 'Deck of the Year' COMMITTEE / DISCUSSION

Featuring our favourite decks including winners of the Decks Of The Year awards and the Annual United Cardists Decks
Strag
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: None
Decks Owned: 0

Re: 2020 'Deck of the Year' COMMITTEE / DISCUSSION

Unread post by Strag »

Harvonsgard wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:58 am Should be all in one page. Like one ballot with all categories. Having to select every category by itself isn't slick imo.

+💯 @shkorc

If Matt wouldn't have mentioned the voting in his instagram stories I might have missed it.

I know that this IP blacklist bug kept Pip from posting here but it felt a bit weird this year.
Felt more like food served in a cantina, *slaps mashed potates on the plate*
"There you go, keep moving"...
Disagree. You go to the first category. See all the images. One click to vote. Click on the arrows to see next.

Having all the categories on one page would mean long load times.
PipChick
White Whale: StrangeLove + Italian Cats
Decks Owned: 200

Unread post by PipChick »

Hi y'all!

I've been working seriously non-stop for y'all to help get everything up and running and let me tell you, it has been A LOT but I wanted to make just a quick post here before taking much more time to update everything here at UC.

To keep it quick, I'll address everyone one at a time and try to be concise;

Jocu wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:22 am Hey guys are nominations open/have they closed already? There’s usually a sticky prompting people to submit but I’ve not seen anything this year...
Hi Jocu!

Yes, I'm sorry to say that nominations are now closed; if you read the first post of this thread under '2.) DOTY Timeline' as well as on the nominations thread here, nominations were being accepted between Saturday, Dec. 19th - Saturday, Jan. 9th, 2021 (actually, a bit longer as I accepted 'em pretty much up until voting opened yesterday and was legit up all night double-checking and updating and whatnot with Alex right up until we went live at around 2pm CT - it was A LOT but we tried our best to best represent those that were nominated. This year was definitely a weird one for deck releases with so many that were greatly anticipated being so greatly delayed due to covid and whatnot... the number of deck releases this past year did not see the same growth as we've tracked in previous years but we still definitely had a lot of amazing decks and there will be many more coming in 2021 so definitely keep watch and we'll do our best to keep track too on UC and the P52 platform, which has become immensely helpful in particular for this year's event.

shkorc wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:50 am Why is there no mention of UC over at the P52 DOTY page?
It's been updated! TBH, there's been a ton of testing of how the site build performs both on PC and how it translates to the mobile format which we had come to realize distorted and cut off some of our images and text in the description areas which we had to make about a zillion and one adjustments to... ugh... we're actually *still* working out little bugs here and there and needing to adjust as we learn and improve - please be patient as this is our first year trying out this custom voting system and there's already a huuuuge laundry list of areas we're excited to implement in next year's event and are super grateful for any and all feedback y'all can provide on how we can make it better.
shkorc wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:50 amI couldn't find any info on when's the voting deadline?
if you read the first post of this thread under '2.) DOTY Timeline' as well as another updated post here explaining the push-back of the event from Friday to Monday, voting is open between Monday, Jan. 18th - Sunday, Jan.31st, 2021. The best part of the new voting system is that you can always vote and change your vote at any time and as many times as you need to until you're absolutely certain! Actually, we're *still* making updates to many of the deck pages to bring you the most comprehensive overview of each deck so that you could digitally enjoy all the best cards one by one as if you were holding the deck in your hand yourself! HUGE thanks need to go out to Romeril in particular for supplying many of the AMAZING high quality photos and scans of the cards from his own personal collection and many more thanks to others that also helped out too - without y'all, it really wouldn't be nearly the same kind of DOTY experience for voters and we really hope that y'all find this to be a pretty neat feature of the voting system. Of course, there's things I'd love to improve on and, as I mentioned, it's in the laundry list of things we're hoping to do for next year's event.
shkorc wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:50 amI couldn't find any info on the prize giveaway competition that should motivate new and old members to join and vote?
Have no fear! There is a voter giveaway and it will, as always, be EPIC!

Now, with that said, I must admit that since we had a late start on organizing the DOTYs event this year, the voter prize giveaway has been sort of a low priority but we're working really hard to get the ball-rolling! I've written up and am finalizing a compelling script that I'll be recruiting help of in sending out to potential donors for sponsorship that will hopefully make it easier for them to also fill-out with all relevant info for participating in our great event. That's also something we hope to implement into the voting system as well but will need to be put on the 'to-do' list for next year! In the meanwhile, I'll start reaching out to sponsors over the next couple of days and all throughout the event until it ends to try to secure as many amazing prizes as possible for y'all in participating this year. I'll also create an area to feature the giveaway prizes probably next week as we get commitments from donors and will have something posted here for UC as well. But since the giveaway doesn't actually happen until *after* the event is over, it is atm a lower priority as we really try to push hard on the marketing end and this is actually where you can help out! Word of this event across any and all social media allows for bigger sponsors to see the value of supporting the DOTYs so it's up to us, the community to grab their attention with what a great opportunity this would be for them to want to participate. If this event doesn't gain enough traction and reach, donors will less inclined to donate so please consider helping and showing your support by spreading the word wherever possible so we can help get y'all the best giveaway prizes out there!

Harvonsgard wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:58 am Should be all in one page. Like one ballot with all categories. Having to select every category by itself isn't slick imo.
We've considered that but under the incredibly limited time pressure to get this completely built from scratch, the development of the voting system in that format did not translate well for mobile but that is something we hope to have improved upon somehow for next year! As Strag mentioned, the load time for ALLL the images would be not at all practical nor would the looooong scroll very user-friendly... think of this year's DOTY event as in beta mode and give us any and all feedback ya got so we can improve for next year!
Harvonsgard wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:58 amIf Matt wouldn't have mentioned the voting in his instagram stories I might have missed it. I know that this IP blacklist bug kept Pip from posting here but it felt a bit weird this year.
Honestly, this is largely due to the technical issues I explained above as well as the time pressure to get this all up and running properly in time! I'll be investing more time for an official post here at UC but the problem with IG is that in order for posts to be most effective, they *need* to go up at particular times and it puts on a whole new level of pressure in marketing... to best keep up-to-date, follow along on either my own IG account @pipchickadee or P52's @Portfolio52 (or better yet, both because some of the content will actually be different featuring the nominated decks for a more in-depth look and such on one account than on the other for maximum coverage and reach). Also, if any of y'all would like to help in getting the word out, I'll try to get an open-share dropbox organized with all the marketing content from which y'all can share and/or use however you'd like... I'm thinking to try and make an overlay badge or set of category badges of sorts that can be applied to your own personal pics but I'm not sure if that's something that many people would want to use or not... this way, it would allow y'all to customize your own content while helping to spread the word of this amazing community event! Thoughts?
Harvonsgard wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:58 amFelt more like food served in a cantina, *slaps mashed potates on the plate*
"There you go, keep moving"...
really trying to do the best we can but it seriously has been non-stop, tedious work and countless hours to even just bring you the event this year... something that, 2 months ago, I was still very much deeply contemplating if I even wanted to take on managing again at all since it's beyond stressful and doesn't seem very much appreciated anyways...

sms69x wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:24 am The new voting page looks slick Congrats.
I see that my nominees are not there, don't know why, as I sent the votes in time.
All should be in... was there one that I missed?! DM me and we'll figure it out!
sms69x wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:24 amOne problem I found is that Vittoria playing cards are nominated in several categories, but that deck was delivered in 2019...
So this deck was KS project with an anticipated for fulfillment for Dec. 2019 but did not actually make it into backer's hands until early 2020 (scroll through the comments of the KS project); decks that are released between the years always risk either missing out on recognition in the DOTYs or are forgotten about in the following year's event but being that this deck didn't get nominated at all in last year's event and *did* only get into backer's hands in 2020, I let it slide in for this year as an eligible nomination and I hope that is a fair call because it would be an awful shame for such a great deck to be ignored completely due to a potential technicality (which, from my due diligence, doesn't seem to be the case but please do correct me if I'm wrong :ugthink: )

Okay, that's all for now! I'll take some time to work on getting the UC post updated a bit later but in the meanwhile, please enjoy this super blindingly bright graphic of our event that y'all can share! :ugthink: What do y'all think of the pop-art/comic theme? I was inspired by Roy Lichtenstein but with a PipChick twist lol :ugthink: :mrgreen:

BEST - IG Posts.png

Lots of Love,

- Pip
Strag

Unread post by Strag »

Please don’t let Harvongard’s snarky comment stop you from doing this. I never understand how people can crap on someone who is doing something for free. Your work is greatly appreciated PipChick!
PipChick

Strag wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:45 pm Please don’t let Harvongard’s snarky comment stop you from doing this. I never understand how people can crap on someone who is doing something for free. Your work is greatly appreciated PipChick!
Thanks Strag; that truly means a lot to hear since I'm often wondering if this all is worthwhile... but having the amazing opportunity to work with Alex and provide insight of the event to help develop and build a voting system from scratch has been immensely satisfying and, while it's not perfect, I'm excited of how we can better improve it for next year and many years to come to make this the best DOTY awards ever!

Honestly, it has been an insane amount of work and sooo many frustrations this year... I hated that I couldn't get more done on the UC-front but at least Alex sorta saved the day and offered a platform for which I could still work away to get this event going BTS while I couldn't here... but it really has been just a ton of sleepless nights getting everything ready and, while I know it's not perfect this year, I just hope everyone understands the circumstances, not to mention my own doubts and contemplations of taking on the event again since it is such a massive and timely commitment. I'm grateful for all the help I've had so far and will be for any and all that can help out even in just spreading the word anywhere and everywhere if possible.

Also, we're really excited to possibly be getting a feature with Deckin' Around to talk about the event and help spread the word! So def stay tuned for more details about that! (I'm nervous AF but hopefully it can be well represented and gain more recognition within the greater card-community :ugthink: )

more soon! xoxox

- Pip
andreac75

Unread post by andreac75 »

Thank you for all the work!
Maybe I've a problem with Portfolio52 but I can't find how to vote.....
Harvonsgard
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

Strag wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:45 pm I never understand how people can crap on someone who is doing something for free.
If you critic something it doesn't equal crapping on someone.
If I say a picture is bad, it doesn't mean that the artist behind it is a bad person.
What kinda logic is that 🤷🏿‍♀️?
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
Strag

Unread post by Strag »

You can give a critique without being denigrating. In my view you went over the top with your wording. Also you gave no thanks for the effort and only complained. I'm going to stick with my opinion that it was a snarky comment.
Romeril
Decks Owned: 272

Unread post by Romeril »

PipChick wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:41 pm really trying to do the best we can but it seriously has been non-stop, tedious work and countless hours to even just bring you the event this year... something that, 2 months ago, I was still very much deeply contemplating if I even wanted to take on managing again at all since it's beyond stressful and doesn't seem very much appreciated anyways...
I know I’m not the only one, but I do recognize that this event, and in particular this event this year, is a ton of work and I can imagine that it is way beyond stressful. I am very grateful for your dedication and all of the hard work that you have done. I look forward to the DOTYs every year and I would be depressed if the event ever went away. So, thank you Pip for all that you do for this event and for the community.
BaconWise
White Whale: Gold Arabesque
Decks Owned: 225

Unread post by BaconWise »

I love the Pop Art approach and the voting site looks great, PipChick! While I would have liked to assist this year, I will at least donate some decks for the giveaway. I am VERY excited to see the future of this collaboration between P52 and UC. It's amazing the dedication you have, despite all of us being unworthy.

unworthy.gif
unworthy.gif (482.86 KiB) Viewed 9233 times
"But why male models?"

Curio Playing Cards

Web: www.curioplayingcards.com
Instagram: @curio_playingcards
Facebook: Curio Playing Cards
sms69x
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by sms69x »

PipChick wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:41 pm
sms69x wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:24 amOne problem I found is that Vittoria playing cards are nominated in several categories, but that deck was delivered in 2019...
So this deck was KS project with an anticipated for fulfillment for Dec. 2019 but did not actually make it into backer's hands until early 2020 (scroll through the comments of the KS project); decks that are released between the years always risk either missing out on recognition in the DOTYs or are forgotten about in the following year's event but being that this deck didn't get nominated at all in last year's event and *did* only get into backer's hands in 2020, I let it slide in for this year as an eligible nomination and I hope that is a fair call because it would be an awful shame for such a great deck to be ignored completely due to a potential technicality (which, from my due diligence, doesn't seem to be the case but please do correct me if I'm wrong :ugthink: )
Actually I'm quite sure I received this deck before the end of 2019 (all orders were shipped before/early December, so many of us in Europe received it in 2019). But I understand your reasoning and am totally ok with it!
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

+1 to what BaconWise said up above in the thread.
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
Timmargh
White Whale: Cartes Indiennes green back

Unread post by Timmargh »

Considering that it was whipped up in mere seconds the voting system is sweet.

† Somesequenceswereshortenedactualproductmayvaryiferectionlastsformorethanfourhoursseekmedicalhelp.
IAmTheChin
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 300

Unread post by IAmTheChin »

Timmargh wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:45 pm † Somesequenceswereshortenedactualproductmayvaryiferectionlastsformorethanfourhoursseekmedicalhelp.
lmfao
Manage Your Collections with
http://www.Portfolio52.com

Every collection starts somewhere. Start your saga. Start with Seasons.
http://www.SeasonsPlayingCards.com
hsbc
White Whale: Grid 1 LE
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by hsbc »

I was over on P52 and suddenly saw the voting page was open! Awesome, awesome work - very nice to see the aces, fans, etc. next to each other to pick :D Sad that I somehow missed out on nominations, though :lol:
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
Harvonsgard

Strag wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:20 pm I'm going to stick with my opinion that it was a snarky comment.
That's exactly what it is 😃. You're of course free to stick to it.

FD14284D-FE27-46ED-9C2A-E26AB4C5EA82.jpeg
FD14284D-FE27-46ED-9C2A-E26AB4C5EA82.jpeg (29.28 KiB) Viewed 9098 times
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
PipChick

Hey y'all!

I just posted and updated the *OFFICIAL* 2020 Deck of the Year Awards page here at UC! Go Check it out HERE and tell me if there's anything I missed or anything that's not linked up properly so I can promptly edit and fix it asap before spreading the word elsewhere across the interwebs. Also, any help in sharing and promoting this amazing event would be greatly appreciated - the more you spread the word across any and all social media platforms, the more attention this will grab of the bigger sponsors in seeing the value of supporting the DOTYs and potentially helping with donations in the Voter Prize Giveaway so it's up to us, the community to come out loud and proud of the event and show them what an amazing opportunity this would be for them to want to participate in as well! If this event doesn't gain enough traction and reach, donors will less inclined to donate so please consider helping and showing your support by spreading the word wherever possible so we can help get y'all the best giveaway prizes out there!

Speaking of the Voter Prize Giveaway; we will now be accepting donations to be announced within the *OFFICIAL* 2020 Deck of the Year Awards page here at UC! If you'd like to donate, simply post there in the thread below or contact me directly (through a message here on UC, IG, or FB) with what you'd like to contribute and please also state any specifications relating to shipping arrangements (ie. whether shipping costs will be covered with the donation or whether you'd like to request that they are the responsibility of the recipient if they so desire to choose your donated giveaway prize)

If you'd like to donate anonymously, you may also reach out to me privately and we can make arrangements on your behalf.

Donations are now being accepted and will continue to be accepted thoughout the course of the DOTY event up until prior to announcement and presentation of the Awards on February 8th, 2020 to all designers/producers in recognition of their amazing work.

If you'd be interested in also contributing to UC and the 'Deck of the Year' Awards, please consider showing your support of the community and this event by making a donation of your choosing and declaring it in the *OFFICIAL* 2020 Deck of the Year Awards page. Any and all donations are very much appreciated and we all thank you for helping to make United Cardists the amazing community that it is and allowing us to bring you the DOTY awards.

And for further clarification on what the DOTYs are and how to participate or have any other questions/comments/concerns/etc. about the 'Deck of the Year' Awards/Giveaway and/or the UC community, please feel free to reach out in this Discussions thread.

Wanna show your support of this amazing community event? BECOME A DOTY SPONSOR TODAY!
PipChick

Hi y'all!

Just wanted to give a super quick update before taking more time to update the main DOTY event page and discuss changes made in management of the Voter Prize Giveaway to avoid the problems we experienced last year.

At the moment, I'm working hella hard for y'all get as many amazing sponsors as I can for everyone that participated in voting this year and I'm getting excited for some of the awesome prizes being donated which I'll be announcing to y'all towards the end of next week when I'll have a more finalized list of pledges from committed sponsors.

But in order to avoid the massive months-long delays we experienced last year due to an overwhelming support from our amazing donors, the giveaway prizes will be given out at complete random and we're discussing to potentially make the drawing a live event! This means no more waiting and everyone will still have the same opportunity as in previous years to get the chance to win some amazing prizes! Because as awesome as it has been to see this event grow, unfortunately, as we experienced last year, the tag-teaming of picking out prizes is just not effective or efficient. Tbh, I was even quite hesitant to even go through with organizing an associated giveaway with the DOTYs this year because just this one aspect alone of reaching out to sponsors and organizing prizes for y'all is a MASSIVE undertaking on it's own... but I know how much we all love it and it definitely feels like it's something that needs to stay and I'm super excited to announce that we can absolutely make it work by giving away prizes completely at random!

Who else is getting excited? I seriously can't wait to show y'all what we've got coming for ya and I know y'all are gunna be PUMPED!

WOOT WOOT!
Harvonsgard

PipChick wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:18 am Tbh, I was even quite hesitant to even go through with organizing an associated giveaway with the DOTYs this year because just this one aspect alone of reaching out to sponsors and organizing prizes for y'all is a MASSIVE undertaking on it's own...
The giveway was never important for me; I would vote regardless. But bwoi would I lie if I say it doesn't sweeten the deal tremendously therefore, awesome that I didn't get dropped.
Picking the prizes is better but with the amount of prizes it sure is the smartest choice to make, no need to put more on your shoulders than necessary PipChick.

RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

Voted! Love the banner old time comic of each category. Great job!
Move on, nothing to see here.
PipChick

RichK wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:24 pm Voted! Love the banner old time comic of each category. Great job!
omg you get it! that's exactly what I was going for - like a super fun and bright pop-art, comic book style inspired by Roy Lichtenstein's art! Definitely wanted something to catch people's attention lol
theCapraAegagrus

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

With choice being eliminated from the prize pool, I'm not sure how well-received mine will be. :lol: :lol:
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
portcullis
Decks Owned: 440

Unread post by portcullis »

I think I just completed the mixed brick I'm looking to donate (it's ust my "bits box")
Harvonsgard

So it wasn't just me, being surprised seeing Cabinetarium there, haha.
I give it the benefit of the doubt though - yes, art decks do feature classic pip and index but they would slow down gameplay that crazy that they are practically indeed non-poker (and even non-gameplay) decks. Same applies for example to the Beer Deck.

Maybe It would be helpful to have like a category catalog that sets the rules for every category. But no matter how well defined a category might be, I guess it'll always leave room for interpretation.

For the UC instagram dilema... just throwing it out there that e.g. @UC_Deck_of_the_Year is surely not taken...

Overall my verdict still stands; like montenzi I felt, too that this wasn't really UC. Again, it felt a lot like descisions made behind closed doors and things getting outsourced due to the grown frustration.
That is not to diminish taken efforts but a dialogue looks different.
Just to further clarify, this is not a critic on PipChick - who from an outside perspective looks to have been left alone with the DOTYs in the past years - but more a critique towards the UC management.
If I was left alone, I would surely reach out for help from other places as well.