saffron

Designing a deck? Need input? Show us here!
willroya
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 1000

saffron

Unread post by willroya »

New deck in progress, thoughts?
Attachments
SAFFRON-SECRET-concept-design-proposal.jpg
http://www.PlayingCardDecks.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://stores.ebay.com/Playing-Card-Decks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.facebook.com/playingcarddecks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.instagram.com/playingcarddecks_com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/playingcarddecks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Re: saffron

Unread post by Bradius »

I would like to see more of the courts, but for some reason I kinda like it. I do prefer black borders to white borders. The white borders seems to distract from the design.
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
PipChick
White Whale: StrangeLove + Italian Cats
Decks Owned: 200

Unread post by PipChick »

black border for sure.

Also, other than just sharing the commonality of color in this deck and the spice saffron, I'm not sure I see much else connecting the design to the theme... perhaps I'm mistaken, but it feels kinda like the decision to include 'Saffron' into the name was made sorta arbitrarily... is there maybe something I'm missing?
Merlebird
White Whale: Moon Prism + Dondorf Saks
Decks Owned: 212

Unread post by Merlebird »

PipChick wrote:Also, other than just sharing the commonality of color in this deck and the spice saffron, I'm not sure I see much else connecting the design to the theme...
I don't even see that connection, to be honest, though it may just be the color temperature of my phone screen. But saffron is a rich, deep orange-yellow, and this looks red to me.
theCapraAegagrus

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

I have to disagree with my compatriots here. I like the white border better. It makes the red contrast more with the black. It also compliments the white card faces.
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
PipChick
White Whale: StrangeLove + Italian Cats
Decks Owned: 200

Unread post by PipChick »

Merlebird wrote:
PipChick wrote:Also, other than just sharing the commonality of color in this deck and the spice saffron, I'm not sure I see much else connecting the design to the theme...
I don't even see that connection, to be honest, though it may just be the color temperature of my phone screen. But saffron is a rich, deep orange-yellow, and this looks red to me.
well, I guess rather the saffron threads that come from the flower, which prior to being harvested and dried to be used as the spice, I believe are more of a red-orange color... also, I *think* if the color of the saffron is deeper and more red in appearance naturally, it's sometimes used as an indicator of being higher quality/strength grade, but I'm really not sure - I just remember reading somewhere that people were adulterating batches of low-grade saffron with something like paprika & beet juice to achieve a more red appearance and therefore be able to sell at a higher premium for suggesting it's of better quality than it actually is... I mean, it is referred to as "red gold" after all ;)

But as for this deck, it seems to be missing the mark thematically speaking IMO.
Magic Tapp
Decks Owned: 816

Unread post by Magic Tapp »

I would also like to see more of the courts. As for the black v white border, I am definitely in the black border camp.
Eric Lee
White Whale: Korchma Taras Bulba

Unread post by Eric Lee »

Black camp for me. However if you go with the green or purple, the white border seems better to me. As for fonts, I like the bottom one best. However the pic is rather low res. can't see the details and the colors well. Can you put the different colours seperately on their own ?