2015 Decks of the Year Contest - Prize Selection !

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Re: 2015 Deck of the Year Contest

Unread post by vasta41 »

chach wrote:Does Mana qualify given its odd "fulfillment"?
Mana not only qualifies but also already won the "Worst KS Playing Card Campaign of All Time" category, beating out Bicycle Army Men.
cherrynukacola
Collector: Yes

Unread post by cherrynukacola »

The PCF have a pretty comprehensive list of releases here: http://www.playingcardforum.com/index.php?topic=7664.0 . I Found the easiest thing to do was to narrow it down to a shortlist. This was my shortlist (YMMV, obviously):

Retro Deck by Poconoco Modern
Aves by Lux Playing Cards
Heretic Lux & Noctis by Stockholm 17
No. 17 by Stockholm 17
Impressions & Foil Impressions by Make Playing Cards
Draconian Spitfire & Lightning by Midnight Playing Cards
Bowl-A-Rama & Cosmic Lanes by Midnight Playing Cards
Arcana by Chris Ovdiyenko
Bicycle Ultimate Universe by Gamblers Warehouse
Delicious by Emmanuel Jose
Classic by UUSI
Brut by UUSI
Delirium by Thirdway Industries
Scarlett Tally-Ho by Kings Wild Project
Emerald Tally-Ho by Kings Wild Project
Hive 2 by Kings Wild Project
Dark Venexiana by Half Moon Playing Cards
The Coven by 52 Ravens
Seven Seas Master Collection & Sea Creatures Playing Cards by Brain Vessel Creative
Luxx Palme by JP Playing Cards
Virtuoso Spring/Summer by Virtuoso Playing Cards

Hope that's helpful to jogging your memory. Feel free to add any to my list, anyone! :P
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
Player: Yes
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Re: 2015 Decks of the Year Contest

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

vasta41 wrote:
Mana not only qualifies but also already won the "Worst KS Playing Card Campaign of All Time" category, beating out Bicycle Army Men.
I suppose we need to add a new category this year: "Biggest pile of stinking sh%@!", which is unfortunately where this project is at this point in time - nowhere. We always do as we sit as a group, this year is no different. (but every vote for Mana 3/Sybil counts as 1/3 vote since only about 30% (maybe 20%?) got delivered (I was going to say "so far", but - I can't even make that qualifier). We call 'em like we see 'em, folks - that's not going to change, praise the gods of decks, magik, cardistry et al.

I noticed Kai forgot that we changed it to "DeckS of the Year" contest this year, which only makes sense, really. There will be one overall category winner, but all of them have always been the deck of the year as far as we're concerned, and that's not changing either. "UC 2015 Decks of the Year Contest". I'll fix...
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
volantangel
Decks Owned: 350

Unread post by volantangel »

Mike Ratledge wrote:
vasta41 wrote:
I suppose we need to add a new category this year: "Biggest pile of stinking sh%@!", which is unfortunately where this project is at this point in time - nowhere. We always do as we sit as a group, this year is no different. (but every vote for Mana 3/Sybil counts as 1/3 vote since only about 30% (maybe 20%?) got delivered (I was going to say "so far", but - I can't even make that qualifier). We call 'em like we see 'em, folks - that's not going to change, praise the gods of decks, magik, cardistry et al.

I noticed Kai forgot that we changed it to "DeckS of the Year" contest this year, which only makes sense, really. There will be one overall category winner, but all of them have always been the deck of the year as far as we're concerned, and that's not changing either. "UC 2015 Decks of the Year Contest". I'll fix...
NO MANA DECKS

Ok that aside, there have been a few questions:

1. Deck Series, so long as there has been one release in 2015, it qualifies. Deck series is not branding, ie. bicycle, legends & LUXX are not a series. Applicable series just off the top of my head, Jackson's tally ho series, Giovanni's Omnia series, Alex's Seasons series, Brain Vessel's Seven Seas, Emmanuel's paper-cut series etc.

2. Comprehensive list, I highly doubt that anyone can give a definitive and exhaustive list, last year's list was contributed by the members of the board, even that was not absolutely exhaustive, but I guess good enough, sure if PCF has a list go ahead and use it, if portfolio 52 can churn out a list, awesome. If not just whatever our little minds can think of =) I will try my best to let you know if anything is invalid.

And please try to stick to the submission period !
JacksandJokers
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by JacksandJokers »

I will try and get a fairly comprehensive list of all Kickstarter decks up the next few hours :D
JacksandJokers
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Hi All,

Ok, So here is a fairly comprehensive list of all Kickstarter decks fulfilled during 2015.
Apologies if I have missed or duplicated any.
MODS / UC Members: Feel free to message me if any of these do not qualify for voting or you want me to add to the list. :D

Animaqigue - Noir Arts
Angelarium - Albino Dragon
Arcana - Chris Ovdiyenko
Arcanum - Gamblers Warehouse
Aztec Codex - Emmanuel Valtierra
Back to the Asylum - Noir Arts
Bicycle Ancient Machine - CPC
Bicycle Collectors - Elite
Bicycle Essence - CPC
Bicycle Feudal - Crooked Kings
Bicycle Fireworks - CPC
Bicycle Full Moon - Crooked Kings
Bicycle Made - Crooked Kings
Bicycle Paragon - Shapeshifters
Bicycle Pin-Up - CPC
Bicycle Redcore - CPC
Bicycle Robotics - CPC
Bicycle Rongo Rongo - Matifu
Bicycle Sky Descender - Barry
Bicycle Sovereign Metal - Jeff
Bicycle Spirit - Gamblers Warehouse
Bicycle Stained Glass - CPC
Bicycle Starlight Blackhole - CPC
Bicycle Titanic - RJ Tomlinson
Bicycle Ultimate Universe - Gamblers Warehouse
Bicycle US Presidents - CPC
Bicycle Vintage Vampires - Nat Iwata
Black Fontaine - Zach Mueller
Bowl-A-Rama - Randy Butterfield
Branle - Noir Arts
Breaking Bad - Albino Dragon
Brut - Uusi
Coven - Kirk Slater
Deep - Galen Ihlenfeldt
Defunctorum - Noir Arts
Delirium - Giovanni Meroni
Dia de los Muertos (2nd Ed) - Edgy Brothers
Draconian - Randy Butterfield
Emerald Tally Ho - Jackson Robinson
Empire Bloodlines - Lee McKenzie
Fishing for compliments - Pixel Initiative
Four Beasts - Sishou
Four Seasons - Ace Collectable Cards
Fuego - Cellar Window
Gettysburg - RJ Tomlinson
Ghostbusters - Albino Dragon
Golden Spike - Jody Eklund
Gremlins - Albino Dragon
Grimoire - Edgy Brothers
Hellsgate - Sishou
Heretic - Lorenzo Gaggiotti
Innovation - Jody Eklund
Jetsetter - Paul Ruccio
Joker & the Thief - Joker & the Thief
Kings of India - Bhavesh & Reena Mistry
Leonardo - Dent-de-lion du Midi
Love is - Natalia Silva
Love is a smoke - Passione Team
Malam - Michael Muldoon
Manifesto - UnCommon Beat
Mardi Gras - Dave Edgerly
Memento - Legends Playing Card Co.
Metropol - Mike Lambert / LUX
Moku Hanga - A Vol d'Oiseau
No. 17 - Lorenzo Gaggiotti
Noble - Design Imperator
Olympia - Steve Minty
Omnia - Giovanni Meroni
Once upon A Time - Toronto Playing Card Co.
Regal - Gamblers Warehouse
Royal Pulp - Gamblers Warehouse
Russian Folk Art - Natalia Silva
Scarlett Tally Ho - Jackson Robinson
Seasons (Inverno & Verana) - Alex Chin
Seven Seas Masters Collection / Bicycle Sea Creatures - Brain Vessel
Spectrum 52 - Cosmo Solano
Tendril Ascendant / Nightfall - Paul Carpenter
Tenebre (Acqua & Verde) - 4PM Designs
US Army - Jackson Robinson
Uusi Classic - Uusi
Venexiana Dark - Lotrek
Whispering Imps Gamesters
Wizard of Oz - Albino Dragon
JacksonRobinson
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer
White Whale: Hermes 2 Deck Set
Decks Owned: 78623

Unread post by JacksonRobinson »

volantangel wrote:
Mike Ratledge wrote:
vasta41 wrote:

NO MANA DECKS

Ok that aside, there have been a few questions:

1. Deck Series, so long as there has been one release in 2015, it qualifies. Deck series is not branding, ie. bicycle, legends & LUXX are not a series. Applicable series just off the top of my head, Jackson's tally ho series, Giovanni's Omnia series, Alex's Seasons series, Brain Vessel's Seven Seas, Emmanuel's paper-cut series etc.

2. Comprehensive list, I highly doubt that anyone can give a definitive and exhaustive list, last year's list was contributed by the members of the board, even that was not absolutely exhaustive, but I guess good enough, sure if PCF has a list go ahead and use it, if portfolio 52 can churn out a list, awesome. If not just whatever our little minds can think of =) I will try my best to let you know if anything is invalid.

And please try to stick to the submission period !
I would have to kindly disagree that my Scarlett and Emerald Tally Ho's are not a series. Branding aside all of the luxury tally ho decks are named after or dedicated to all of the girls in my life IE Scarlett my daughter, Claire my oldes daughter, who's birthstone is Emerald, Becca my wife who's birth stone is Diamond. This is also why each deck has each person's birthday at the bottom. Just because a series is Branded does not automatically make it not a series. IMO
JacksandJokers
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Deck series is not branding, ie. bicycle, legends & LUXX are not a series. Applicable series just off the top of my head, Jackson's tally ho series, Giovanni's Omnia series, Alex's Seasons series, Brain Vessel's Seven Seas, Emmanuel's paper-cut series etc.
I'm a little fuzzy on this whole series / Not a series business. I can understand Bicycle and Legends but how is Luxx not a series when there is soon to be 10 different decks, released at 4 different times? Likewise, how can Omnia be a series when to date there has only been 3 decks released, all at the same time under 1 campaign?? Baffled :?
montecarlojoe
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Re: 2015 Deck of the Year Contest (wap)

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

To be fair Luxx is both. Overall luxx is a brand, but the Original Luxx playing cards were a series of 4 decks before Palme came along...
volantangel

@jackson, I stated that your tallyho series is a series.

@mrharmanko, the way I see it, the original LUXX is a series, but with palme and the elipitica, the decks has little to do with the previous decks in the line. Omnia is a series to me because Giovanni launched omnia golden age, while that isn't fulfilled yet, it made it into a series.
JacksonRobinson
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer
White Whale: Hermes 2 Deck Set
Decks Owned: 78623

Unread post by JacksonRobinson »

volantangel wrote:@jackson, I stated that your tallyho series is a series.

@mrharmanko, the way I see it, the original LUXX is a series, but with palme and the elipitica, the decks has little to do with the previous decks in the line. Omnia is a series to me because Giovanni launched omnia golden age, while that isn't fulfilled yet, it made it into a series.
gotcha! Thanks, i just read what you said as the opposite. Thanks for clearing it up.
sinjin7
Cardist: Yes
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by sinjin7 »

I never thought the Best Deck Series made much sense as a category and should probably be edited out in future contests.
sms69x
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by sms69x »

volantangel wrote:Omnia is a series to me because Giovanni launched omnia golden age, while that isn't fulfilled yet, it made it into a series.
So we can vote Omnia as Best deck Series this year?? This makes no sense, the Omnia Golden Age is yet to be fulfilled, so I think it may qualify for 2016 Best Decks Series, but for 2015 I don't think so.
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by shermjack »

sms69x wrote:
volantangel wrote:Omnia is a series to me because Giovanni launched omnia golden age, while that isn't fulfilled yet, it made it into a series.
So we can vote Omnia as Best deck Series this year?? This makes no sense, the Omnia Golden Age is yet to be fulfilled, so I think it may qualify for 2016 Best Decks Series, but for 2015 I don't think so.
If we can't vote for Omnia for Best Deck Series in 2015, when can we vote for it? You admit that it is part of a series due to Omnia: The Golden Age, but also must concede that Omnia was delivered in 2015, therefore we can't vote for it to be Best Series of 2016...does that mean that these beautiful decks don't get considered at all?

Ultimately, as this is Kai's & Mike's contest, I leave it to them to decide what qualifies and what doesn't...I personally think that the more the merrier! :ugdance:
A deck a day helps keep the addiction at bay!

Check out my collection on Instagram @caratcasecreations
sms69x

Unread post by sms69x »

shermjack wrote:
sms69x wrote:
If we can't vote for Omnia for Best Deck Series in 2015, when can we vote for it? You admit that it is part of a series due to Omnia: The Golden Age, but also must concede that Omnia was delivered in 2015, therefore we can't vote for it to be Best Series of 2016...does that mean that these beautiful decks don't get considered at all?

Ultimately, as this is Kai's & Mike's contest, I leave it to them to decide what qualifies and what doesn't...I personally think that the more the merrier! :ugdance:
The way I see it we can vote for Omnia as best deck series in 2016 after the Golden Age been delivered, because as of 2015 there is no series for Omnia, only one set was done in 2015, but that's my view of it. If everyone agrees that Omnia can enter for 2015 best deck series than better, that is for sure one strong contestant.
volantangel

Ok granted, given the differing opinions, lets vote for omnia in next year's contest for best series =)
Thirdway Industries
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Thirdway Industries »

Hello guys, I'm very happy we're talking about Omnia :mrgreen:

I can say that I already consider Omnia as a series, I designed six decks and hopefully more, in future.

However, I have no idea about if it can qualify UC Series of the year 2015.
I think it's up to Mike and Kai, I'm happy either ways and don't want push in one way or another. If it won't be 2015, I'll wait for 2016...I'm a patient man ;)

I'm very excited with this contest and I hope that many people will partecipate --- there are a couple of prizes from Thirdway Industries too ;)
Thirdway Industries shop > https://www.thirdwayindustries.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JacksandJokers
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

BEST DECK SERIES:

Do the following qualify:

Tendril Ascendant / Nightfall
Venexiana Dark
Seasons Inverno & Verana
Dia de los Muertos (2nd Edition)
sms69x

Unread post by sms69x »

misterharmanko wrote:BEST DECK SERIES:

Do the following qualify:

Tendril Ascendant / Nightfall
Venexiana Dark
Seasons Inverno & Verana
Dia de los Muertos (2nd Edition)
I believe so!

If you want you can add:
KWP's Tally-Ho by Kings Wild Project
Ussi 6 Deck Series by Uusi
Inventor's Series by Black Ink Playing Cards
Paper Cut by Emmanuel Jose
JacksandJokers
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

I've added a few more decks to my list of 2015 fulfilled Kickstarter decks.
pstaehlin
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by pstaehlin »

Hello,

Newbie here. How does this contest work? What do I do to participate?

Thank you!
montecarlojoe
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

Everything oyu need is in the first post in this topic.

Basically pick a deck of cards released in 2015 that you think is the best in each category listed. Once all votes are in they are counted up and the best deck in each category is determined. You score points based on whether the decks you chose were 1st, 2nd or 3rd in each category. The top point scorers win prizes donated from all over the communiry.
volantangel

CONTEST HAS STARTED !
NoirArts
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by NoirArts »

misterharmanko wrote:Hi All,

Ok, So here is a fairly comprehensive list of all Kickstarter decks fulfilled during 2015.
Apologies if I have missed or duplicated any.
MODS / UC Members: Feel free to message me if any of these do not qualify for voting or you want me to add to the list. :D

Angelarium - Albino Dragon
Wizard of Oz - Albino Dragon
Back to the Asylum, Animagique and Branle decks are missing. All of them were delivered on 2015. Please add it to the list if possible, maybe someone will be interested to vote.
Best luck for everyone!
octave
Decks Owned: 400

Unread post by octave »

So, do the aves playing cards qualify or not? they are in the PCF list but portfolio dates them to 2014?
JacksandJokers
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Back to the Asylum, Animagique and Branle decks are missing. All of them were delivered on 2015. Please add it to the list if possible, maybe someone will be interested to vote.
Best luck for everyone!
List updated as requested :)
So, do the aves playing cards qualify or not? they are in the PCF list but portfolio dates them to 2014?
I would say YES as the majority of backers would've received their decks in 2015, however this one is on the fence and up to the Mods to decide.

Funded in Nov 2014.
Shipping started mid Dec 2014
First backers received decks Dec 23rd 2014.
Finished shipping Jan 2015.
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

misterharmanko wrote: I would say YES as the majority of backers would've received their decks in 2015, however this one is on the fence and up to the Mods to decide.

Funded in Nov 2014.
I would assume not simply because it was eligible in the 2014 contest: http://unitedcardists.com/viewtopic.php ... ear#p75543" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wouldn't be fair to run twice.
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

vasta41 wrote:
misterharmanko wrote: I would say YES as the majority of backers would've received their decks in 2015, however this one is on the fence and up to the Mods to decide.

Funded in Nov 2014.
I would assume not simply because it was eligible in the 2014 contest: http://unitedcardists.com/viewtopic.php ... ear#p75543" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wouldn't be fair to run twice.
Glad you loked! I was going to say "yes", but if we allowed it to be vote for last year, it's not fair to allow it this time. Heck, I got my first deck (it was a prototype) in July of 2014, so I couldn't remember when it shipped.
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
octave
Decks Owned: 400

Unread post by octave »

thank you for clarification!
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by rousselle »

Not on the KS list but a couple decks worth keeping in mind:

Midnight Calaveras by Chris Ovdyenko / Dead on Paper
Oracle Shadow Edition by Chris Ovdyenko / Dead on Paper
Luxx Palme by Rick Davidson / JP Playing Cards
Luxx Shadow Edition v2 by Randy Butterfield / JP Playing Cards
Gold Monarchs by Theory11
Green Monarchs by Theory11
Red Monarchs v2 by Theory11
Contraband by Theory11
Nomad by Theory11
Mail Chimp Black Edition by Theory11
52 Plus Joker 2015 Deck by Paul Carpenter / 52 + Joker
Red Wheel by DKNG / Art of Play
Union by Theory11
HoneyBee by Randy Butterfield / Penguin Magic
Killer Bees by Ellusionist
Bumble Bees by Ellusionist
Superior Brand Robusto Classic by CARC
Superior Brand Robusto Classic Reserve by CARC
Christmas by Natalia Silva
Tenebre Zucca and Nero by 4PM Designs / Legends PCC
Cardistry Red and Blue by Handlordz
Hive 2 by Brendon Hong / KWP
Antler by Dan & Dave
Aviator by Dan & Dave
Guy Hollingworth by Dan & Dave
Bicycle Rider Back Luxe Series by USPCC
Firefly by Quantum Mechanic
Beetle Royale
Mythical
Vellichor
Medieval Revival
Sleepy Hollow by Chris Chelko / Whispering Imps
Black Market decks - Red Bar, Veteran, and Tzarouka
Amontillado

Okay. A few decks, I meant. A few decks worth keeping in mind. Your Mileage May Vary.

The list of KS decks is a HUUUUGE help for me making my picks, but I realized that a couple of my absolute faves aren't on the list, because they weren't KS. I haven't figured out how to get a list of 2015 decks from Portfolio52 yet. So, I hope this list is of use to some of you. :)
This space intentionally left blank.