Mythos Playing Cards - Trickster Gods (Collector's Edition)

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Mythos Playing Cards - Trickster Gods (Collector's Edition)

Unread post by guru »

Some of you have seen it in the drafts section & thought to start a thread here.

Trickster Gods across a number of mythologies (Finnish, Norse, Greek, African, Roman, Islamic, Native American, Slavic, Chinese, Maori) are the subject of this deck. Non-symmetrical court cards make it real tough and it is as if you are making twice the number of courts for a deck. Another worthy theme after doing custom decks, tarot & transformation decks.

More soon.
joc_first.jpg
Diamonds-K (1).jpg
Diamonds-K (1).jpg (96.29 KiB) Viewed 8205 times
Diamonds-J (1).jpg
Diamonds-J (1).jpg (107.86 KiB) Viewed 8205 times
Diamonds-Q.jpg
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Re: Mythos Playing Cards - Trickster Gods

Unread post by guru »

Anansi - from West African, African American and Caribbean folklore.
Attachments
Hearts-K.jpg
Magic Tapp
Collector: Yes
Decks Owned: 816

Unread post by Magic Tapp »

Thanks Sunish - the deck is coming along nicely. The only thing is that I am not sure about the white background - may be better to try some sort of off-white/ivory. Just my two cents.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Magic Tapp wrote:Thanks Sunish - the deck is coming along nicely. The only thing is that I am not sure about the white background - may be better to try some sort of off-white/ivory. Just my two cents.
Yes. Going to check out the availability of off-white/ ivory stock with USPC. I just don't want to color the background like that on a normal white stock as it will be subjected to chipping from the edges then.
Eric Lee
Player: Yes
White Whale: Korchma Taras Bulba

Unread post by Eric Lee »

When I first saw the Scandanavian card, I was afraid it would look too similar with JE's Luminosity. The art style is similar, but after seeing the other cards, I'm really excited for this.

I'm curious though. Any reason for the 2 different images for the courts? Luminosity had 2 images to show before and after the schism. Is it trickster/action vs standard mode?
dawn

Re: Mythos Playing Cards - Trickster Gods (wap)

Unread post by dawn »

Loving this deck. Will there be a roll call card or a booklet with the names/background of each god?
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Re: Mythos Playing Cards - Trickster Gods (wap)

Unread post by guru »

dawn wrote:Loving this deck. Will there be a roll call card or a booklet with the names/background of each god?
I have always done both roll call extra card and a free booklet with previous mythology based decks and this time an extra card with the names is confirmed. Booklet isn't.
theCapraAegagrus

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

Love the artwork. Hate the background shapes mostly.
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Eric Lee wrote:When I first saw the Scandanavian card, I was afraid it would look too similar with JE's Luminosity. The art style is similar, but after seeing the other cards, I'm really excited for this.

I'm curious though. Any reason for the 2 different images for the courts? Luminosity had 2 images to show before and after the schism. Is it trickster/action vs standard mode?
Thanks Eric. I am glad to know that you are excited and looking forward to it. Comparison with Luminosity is flattering too. Someone compared this with Wicked Kingdom but apart from dual courts, there isn't anything common. I think if you take a look at my previous decks you will always find a tie to mythology except 'A Motley Pack'.

Duality has been associated with the tricksters in the mythologies. As destroyers of duality, Trickster archetypes expose illusions, challenge worldly rules, and celebrate holy madness. For every likable trait within them, there is an equally disturbing trait. For every form of provocation, there is a hidden lesson.
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by shermjack »

Though I really like the art style, I think that the animal courts need a little more work. The heads on the Fox Court don't look like they belong with the body and appear disjointed. As for the Monkey King, there is something not right about it, but I can't put my finger on it...maybe he looks too human, maybe he looks too angry...IDK, but it just doesn't feel right, especially for someone like me who has a special attachment to the Monkey King as I am Chinese and born the Year of the Monkey. Also, why does he have 3 hands on the top part of the court (one holding the staff and two in front of his face)?

As it stands, this will probably be the first GPC deck I don't back. :?
A deck a day helps keep the addiction at bay!

Check out my collection on Instagram @caratcasecreations
Harvonsgard
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

shermjack wrote: why does he have 3 hands on the top part of the court (one holding the staff and two in front of his face)?
The hand on the staff belongs to the lower half of the card.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

shermjack wrote:Though I really like the art style, I think that the animal courts need a little more work. The heads on the Fox Court don't look like they belong with the body and appear disjointed. As for the Monkey King, there is something not right about it, but I can't put my finger on it...maybe he looks too human, maybe he looks too angry...IDK, but it just doesn't feel right, especially for someone like me who has a special attachment to the Monkey King as I am Chinese and born the Year of the Monkey. Also, why does he have 3 hands on the top part of the court (one holding the staff and two in front of his face)?

As it stands, this will probably be the first GPC deck I don't back. :?
As @shiroo56 mentioned below, the hand holding the staff belongs to the lower half of the body. Anatomy has been looked into in detail here, and yes, this is a different treatment to what you'd have usually seen in a deck. We have all been wired to look for similar traits, the notion of a trickster opposes that worldview.
Outsider

Unread post by Outsider »

I'm actually really liking the way you've drawn these to be technically one-way but workable both ways. Very fitting. Very tricky.
Eric Lee

guru wrote:
As @shiroo56 mentioned below, the hand holding the staff belongs to the lower half of the body. Anatomy has been looked into in detail here, and yes, this is a different treatment to what you'd have usually seen in a deck. We have all been wired to look for similar traits, the notion of a trickster opposes that worldview.
Ah, very tricky! ;) So the art is purposely distorted to play with our perceptions and force a closer look . Very clever, but it'll have to spelt out to the lowest common denominator on the extra card. Such subtlety will be lost to the general public, sadly. The average joe/jill seems to now just prefer to have things spelled out and served to them.

Will the courts of each suit have a matching distortion theme or everyone of them is just random as per the overall trickster theme?
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Laverna - From Roman Mythology

The Goddess of thieves, cheats and the underworld.
Hearts-Q.jpg
STLBluesNut

Unread post by STLBluesNut »

This deck is looking so good.

Sent from my Galaxy 8 using Tapatalk
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

The deck is taking time but I hope the wait will be worth it.

This time there is something special for puzzle enthusiasts as well. A wooden box which is a trick or a puzzle box (goes very well with the Trickster Gods theme of this deck ) that will test your skill in opening it. I've started the testing at present and a few friends who tried it out were not able to open the box, so I am not sure if this puzzle box is mindboggling and extremely difficult or if the issue lies with my test audience selection.

Sneek peak of the 2 extra cards, Ace of Spades & the wooden box below.

Joker-1.jpg
Joker-2.jpg
AoS.jpg
IMG_20190910_204031_Bokeh.jpg
JuFiN
White Whale: Delirium Signature
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by JuFiN »

That Ace of spades does not fit. All the other art is very three dimensional and that ace comes across as very flat and out of place.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

JuFiN wrote:That Ace of spades does not fit. All the other art is very three dimensional and that ace comes across as very flat and out of place.
Good point JuFiN. Something to think about.

The aces are kept in line with the number cards & when you look at the sheet as a whole, they seem to go well.
Trickster Gods Sheet-min.jpg
sms69x
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by sms69x »

JuFiN wrote:That Ace of spades does not fit. All the other art is very three dimensional and that ace comes across as very flat and out of place.
My thoughts exactly. Aces need a bit more depth, otherwise, they go well with the number cards, but I think in the all deck they will feel a bit misplaced.

The courts look fantastic! Great work!
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Thanks for the feedback guys....Working on it.
Eric Lee

Will there be a card with the names of all the courts and jokers? Or are you planning a booklet to go with the deck?
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Eric Lee wrote:Will there be a card with the names of all the courts and jokers? Or are you planning a booklet to go with the deck?
An additional card with the deck and not the booklet. I was keen to do a booklet but need to keep the deck a good fit inside the wooden box and the booklet in addition to the deck would take more space.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Here you go guys...thanks for the feedback. These look better because of the depth and still look good on a full sheet.
Spade-A.jpg
Hearts-A.jpg
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Card back - draft...
Back.jpg
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

There has been little variation in the back design and here is the tuckbox. This draft may look plain but it will be pritned on a special paper with both foiling and embossing.

TUCKBOX-Mythos-Draft.jpg
Back-4.jpg
Trickster-55.jpg
Looking to get it printed by Legends. Lawrence is great to communicate with. After the fire in their factory last year, it seemed like a very few kickstarter projects happened with them as printers, and I think they need more support after Cartamundi bought USPCC. Options & competition is better apart from their expertise on registration details.

I am looking to offer only 1 deck, no recolors or minor variations with back or tuckbox color change. It is not economical and this is the reason you get to see lot of variations offered by creators. With that said, the cost of cold foil at Legends is costlier compared to Cartamundi and they have MoQ of 900 which is higher than Cartamundi's. With the offer of only 1 deck, I want to go with cold foil on the card back but then the per deck's cost increases while gold metallic inks is still manageable. Legends also charge more for any extra card > 54 while Cartamundi, USPCC, WJPC don't.

On kickstarter, it will be a simple project, one deck and the trick box. Please share your thoughts and suggestions.
RelativityCards

Unread post by RelativityCards »

Outsider wrote:I'm actually really liking the way you've drawn these to be technically one-way but workable both ways. Very fitting. Very tricky.
Same. Really enjoying the asymmetry :D
hsbc
White Whale: Grid 1 LE
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by hsbc »

If possible, could you be more specific than "Native American" "Chinese" etc.? :D
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

hsbc wrote:If possible, could you be more specific than "Native American" "Chinese" etc.? :D
These trickster gods and characters are from the above mentioned mythologies. Example. Coyote is from Native American Mythology while Monkey King is from Chinese Mythology. Just trying to understand your suggestion here, do you mean to say I need to add the word "Mythology" as the word to all of the above. Please let me know if my understanding is correct. I did try that, by the way, but it made the card feel too congested. I may need to play with the font size then.
hsbc
White Whale: Grid 1 LE
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by hsbc »

guru wrote:These trickster gods and characters are from the above mentioned mythologies. Example. Coyote is from Native American Mythology while Monkey King is from Chinese Mythology. Just trying to understand your suggestion here, do you mean to say I need to add the word "Mythology" as the word to all of the above. Please let me know if my understanding is correct. I did try that, by the way, but it made the card feel too congested. I may need to play with the font size then.
Here's an example :D Saying Anansi is "African" is really broad - saying Akan mythology would be a lot more accurate :D BUT on the other hand it's tricky with e.g. Coyote because it's common across multiple native American peoples, even with different names

Mythology is complicated :? :lol: Maybe you've already thought about all this?? :mrgreen: :uggrin:
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J