Hidden Leaves Playing Cards by Mahdi The Magician

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
RichK
Collector: Yes
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

Too much red for me.

Move on, nothing to see here.
theCapraAegagrus

Re: Hidden Leaves Playing Cards by Mahdi The Magician

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

Not only is there too much red, and the inner circle of the back design is awful, but the imperfections of the pips looks like a clear rip-off of Lorenzo's Faro Edition. I don't like this at all.
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Jock1971

Unread post by Jock1971 »

This has got me all rattle up.

Took almost a year of his life to lovingly draw these cards , inspired by & a homage to the legendary card artist for andrew Dougherty including Tally-Ho.

Directly copied from Goodalls more like.
Goodalls.jpg
At least when Ims_jam used these courts for his Phonograph 5 deck he gave credit where credit was due.
theCapraAegagrus

I just took the time to read the campaign, so now I know where the inner circle of the back design came from. I don't feel bad because it's just a poor design regardless of its inspiration. It's also overpriced.

A couple of bad quotes, too:

"I believe that life is stronger than pain and love is stronger than death."

"This is not a deck of playing cards. This is a symbol of overcoming the world."

Edit: Also wtf does this mean:

"Embracing The Rainbow, Painted Strokes Drawn from & Bringing color to Life, Lies, & Love."
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Räpylätassu
Player: Yes
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

Love the old school look, but it sure does look very similar to the decks Jase posted.
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
alric
Cardist: Yes

Unread post by alric »

I'm going to give mad props to Mahdi for overcoming his disabilities in becoming a great magician. The techniques he has to use to perform without hands (or feet) is pretty mind-boggling. I barely get by and I have all my limbs. I say "good for him!" in coming out with his signature line of playing cards and I wish him the best of luck in this campaign.

Having said all that, this is disappointing:
Jock1971 wrote:Directly copied from Goodalls more like.
This reminds me of the Voltige deck. It was advertised by D$D as fully custom and being entirely hand drawn from scratch. Of course the members here at UC uncover the fact that the courts were actually copied from French decks instead. :roll:
TwoPieceFeed wrote:Edit: Also wtf does this mean:

"Embracing The Rainbow, Painted Strokes Drawn from & Bringing color to Life, Lies, & Love."
Maybe he's channeling Bruno's babbling nonsense.....
theCapraAegagrus

alric wrote:I'm going to give mad props to Mahdi for overcoming his disabilities in becoming a great magician. The techniques he has to use to perform without hands (or feet) is pretty mind-boggling. I barely get by and I have all my limbs. I say "good for him!" in coming out with his signature line of playing cards and I wish him the best of luck in this campaign.

Having said all that, this is disappointing:
Jock1971 wrote:Directly copied from Goodalls more like.
This reminds me of the Voltige deck. It was advertised by D$D as fully custom and being entirely hand drawn from scratch. Of course the members here at UC uncover the fact that the courts were actually copied from French decks instead. :roll:
TwoPieceFeed wrote:Edit: Also wtf does this mean:

Maybe he's channeling Bruno's babbling nonsense.....
:lol: :lol:
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
TheGentlemanWake
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by TheGentlemanWake »

Im supporting him. Just out of a sense of sympathy. If he took some liberties with the court card designs so be it... he couldve given us standard bicycle courts.. How would that have been any different. Nobody EVER credits whoever the designer of those was.
For the best in playing cards related content:

https://www.wake.video/youtube
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

Im supporting him. Just out of a sense of sympathy.
What? A United Cardists member handing out sympathy? We need to revoke your membership. :ugthink:
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

TwoPieceFeed wrote:Not only is there too much red, and the inner circle of the back design is awful, but the imperfections of the pips looks like a clear rip-off of Lorenzo's Faro Edition. I don't like this at all.
Doesn't seem to be a rip off of Lorenzo's Faro edition as Mahdi has been working and sharing the work done on his deck for around 1 year or more. I remember seeing it on my social media feed last year. The funding goal makes me believe that he will be funding most of the production and shipping costs for Kickstarter through his own pocket and for which I applaud him.
theCapraAegagrus

guru wrote:
TwoPieceFeed wrote:Not only is there too much red, and the inner circle of the back design is awful, but the imperfections of the pips looks like a clear rip-off of Lorenzo's Faro Edition. I don't like this at all.
Doesn't seem to be a rip off of Lorenzo's Faro edition as Mahdi has been working and sharing the work done on his deck for around 1 year or more. I remember seeing it on my social media feed last year. The funding goal makes me believe that he will be funding most of the production and shipping costs for Kickstarter through his own pocket and for which I applaud him.
I'm still angry. I'm always angry.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

TwoPieceFeed wrote: I'm still angry. I'm always angry.
Is that your secret? :ugthink:
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
theCapraAegagrus

MagikFingerz wrote:
TwoPieceFeed wrote: I'm still angry. I'm always angry.
Is that your secret? :ugthink:
Yes, but when I jump out of a ship onto a bridge, it'll take me a minute to get angrier. :evil: :evil:
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
theCapraAegagrus

An imposter pretending to be MahdiTheMagician wrote:Hi,

I'm Mahdi Gilbert. I just created this account to address some of the comments here.

Firstly, I did draw every single card in the deck. And yes, it did take up a year of my life.

You are correct in that the Court Cards are from Goodall. I've never hid that. If you follow my social media accounts I have been covering every aspect of designing this deck since January 2017. It isn't written in the Kickstarter but it's highly publicized online.

It's very funny to me that I'm quoted but not understood.

I sourced original sets cards of cards and redrew them by hand to make my own version. I don't know much about most of the playing cards that have come out in the last few years but I did not copy anyone's idea of creating a vintage aesthetic.
I really don't think that is something that anyone can claim ownership of. I also didn't knock off the idea of using no indexes, that's how playing cards used to be made.
You can read more about my inspirations and my process in the October 2017 issue of Card Culture Magazine.

Also, why do you insult my write-up of my deck, my artwork and my quotes?

I would really rather people to reach out and contact me (I'm very easy to find online) instead of accusing me of things on a online public forum.

Anyways, I'm so insulted by the whole conversation that is taking place on this thread. You guys clearly have no respect for my project. You don't do any research. Instead you slander my good name for no reason. I'm never even contacted. Just insulted.

I would like an apology from this forum and it's members.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ma ... e-magician" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sorry, not sorry; not gonna happen.

I don't see any insults or slander. There's legitimate criticism. I applaud you for overcoming adversity to bring your project to life, but by admitting that you 're-drew' another deck's courts, you must understand that our thirst is for new and unique playing cards. There are enough "custom" decks out there with standard or reissue faces.

I have nothing to apologize for.

Edit: Your friendly neighborhood moderator here just popping in to note that the original e-mail, quoted above, had been posted by an imposter who presented himself as the creator of the project.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
theCapraAegagrus

An imposter pretending to be MahdiTheMagician wrote:
TwoPieceFeed wrote: I would like an apology from this forum and it's members.

I don't see any insults or slander. There's legitimate criticism. I applaud you for overcoming adversity to bring your project to life, but by admitting that you 're-drew' another deck's courts, you must understand that our thirst is for new and unique playing cards. There are enough "custom" decks out there with standard or reissue faces.

Yes you do. And you will.
I think it's in very bad taste of you to register here only demand apologies. You seem to lack humility and perspective. I feel sorry for you if you're offended, but I am not sorry for anything that I've posted, and I will not apologize. That is the end of this discussion from me.

Similar to the Wild West creator and their thread, this is my last response on this subject.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Bradius

Unread post by Bradius »

Madi, I am glad you have posted here and glad to here more of the background of the deck. This is a place where cardists and card collectors can fairly freely state there opinion. While some (definitely me at least) probably have not followed your deck development elsewhere, there is considerable knowledge on playing cards here. I also think if you look at the thread at least one person is backing you. In fact I just backed your Kickstarter early this morning before I read the latest posts. If your looking for an apology from all of us, it isn’t likely to happen. If you would rather me not support your project, I can cancel my pledge.
PipChick
White Whale: StrangeLove + Italian Cats
Decks Owned: 200

Unread post by PipChick »

An imposter pretending to be MahdiTheMagician wrote: Also, why do you insult my write-up of my deck, my artwork and my quotes?

I would really rather people to reach out and contact me (I'm very easy to find online) instead of accusing me of things on a online public forum.

Anyways, I'm so insulted by the whole conversation that is taking place on this thread. You guys clearly have no respect for my project. You don't do any research. Instead you slander my good name for no reason. I'm never even contacted. Just insulted.
When a person creates a product marketed to the public, it opens said product to public criticism... criticism that is in no way a personal attack on the creator (although understandably it's a bitter pill to swallow when you are so personally invested in said product) but rather serves the purpose of establishing an open exchange of the needs/wants of the consumers it is marketed to and the creators for a mutual gain of satisfaction in product and profit.

Responsible marketers seek out and discover what consumers want and proactively respond with the right products at the right price point to provide good value and quality to potential buyers while also producing profit for the creator... with that said, it is not the responsibility of consumers to seek you out (regardless how available you are) and you are not entitled to their own thoughts or opinions on your product. No one owes you anything.
TwoPieceFeed wrote:
An imposter pretending to be MahdiTheMagician wrote:
TwoPieceFeed wrote: I would like an apology from this forum and it's members.

Yes you do. And you will.
I think it's in very bad taste of you to register here only demand apologies. You seem to lack humility and perspective.
The fact that members on this forum, not only took the time and effort to post your campaign to further spread the word and selflessly promote your product to other potential buyers, but even took the time to look at your deck, read your campaign, consider its costs, and write an opinion is something I think should be valued regardless if you personally like it or not.

But demanding apologies from the public on a product you are marketing to the public for opinions you personally don't feel warranted is a whole new level of entitlement and petulance. You are not owed an apology from anyone for anything regardless how slighted you feel. Your deck and campaign was fairly and unbiasedly critiqued; however, after this quite hostile exchange, I can't say if that will always be the case - at least for me, your response has tainted the opinion of indifference I personally held towards your deck.

Best of luck in your campaign and in all your future endeavors; needless to say, I will not be supporting.

oh, and welcome to the forum.

Edit: Please note that this thread quickly devolved after a series of posts by a troll falsely pretending to be the creator of this project.
Jock1971

I wrote a reply to Maghi and i got logged out and lost it all.....twice...so this time i`ll keep it nice and simple.

I have not insulted you , your write up or your deck
i have not accused you of anything.

i did state a FACT that the court cards are an EXACT COPY of goodalls courts.

i have nothing to apologize for.
jase
TheGentlemanWake
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Out of empathy I backed him. His response to valid (even if harsh) criticism makes me regretful of giving him support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Gareth

Unread post by Gareth »

TheGentlemanWake wrote:Out of empathy I backed him. His response to valid (even if harsh) criticism makes me regretful of giving him support.
Funnily, after reading Mahdi's message I took a second look at the project and actually liked the decks enough that - without seeing his post - I probably would have backed for a couple.

Oh well... there's plenty of fish in the sea.
Myke15

Re: Hidden Leaves Playing Cards by Mahdi The Magician (wap)

Unread post by Myke15 »

I too was very interested in the deck until seeing Mahdi’s comments. Definitely won’t be backing this deck.
akicer
White Whale: Encarded 2020 Patreon deck
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by akicer »

I was reading this post as reading all others as usual, and enjoy seeing these old faces discussing about the deck until I saw mahdi's comment...

A little bit weired since I can't even see a single insult in the previous post.. or it's just our way of communicating on this forum is too "insulting" by it's nature?

lol anyway I'm not a big fan of this deck but seems there's enough supports already, good for the creator
https://portfolio52.com/profile/2276/tradelist" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jock1971

i actually like reproductions, recreations, facsimiles or redrawings of old decks. i buy them and back them on kickstarter all the time. i actually went to you campaign hoping to back your project.
However... i back kickstarter decks based on the campaign page alone, no outside influence, i don`t have time to go through every creators on-line presence to see what they get up to.. just the project page.
After reading your project page i got the impression that you designed the court cards yourself. no mention about goodalls anywhere on the page. And possibly a high number of your backers who have not seen the goodalls courts would have the same impression, that these courts were your design, but in fact they are just copied from Goodalls
surely it would have taken you the same time and effort to actually say the courts were in fact a copy of Goodalls, instead of how these courts were inspired by and a homage to the designer of Andrew Doughertys courts

I have nothing to apologise for in my original post here on UC, so you`ll be waiting here for a very long time
jase
PipChick
White Whale: StrangeLove + Italian Cats
Decks Owned: 200

Unread post by PipChick »

MahdiTheMagician wrote:I don't want anyone to have my cards who insults me and my work. Save us both a favor and keep your money.

I don't need to degrade myself to the depths suggested by the attitude here.

I will be here waiting for an apology. If you pretend not to know what I'm referring to I can go through every post and break down every word.
You're doing a fantastic job degrading yourself all on your own dude... 10/10trum
Attachments
triggered tantrum GIF-downsized_large.gif
triggered tantrum GIF-downsized_large.gif (398.29 KiB) Viewed 1685 times
theCapraAegagrus

MahdiTheMagician wrote:I don't want anyone to have my cards who insults me and my work. Save us both a favor and keep your money.

I will be here waiting for an apology. If you pretend not to know what I'm referring to I can go through every post and break down every word.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
wingedpotato
White Whale: Cardistry-Con Tally Ho 2018
Decks Owned: 600

Unread post by wingedpotato »

Mahdi, the manner in which criticisms were leveled require a thick skin, but they were VALID criticisms of your design and your project parameters. Nobody has wronged you here than I can see and so no apology is necessary. I would humbly ask you to consider looking past your wounded pride and try to view the comments as intended.
"I have no response to that."

https://portfolio52.com/profile/1230
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

Mahdi, I reread most of the recent posts, and I understand that you are sensitive to criticism, all artists are. But feedback is not always positive and some of the views are subject to interpretation as well.

Now, the users here are always going to be giving their honest opinions and as otherwise noted, that requires a thick skin as far as the reception. I think that it wasn't intended to be negative, more like open discussion and no two people have the same perspective - much less precisely yours.

I am not saying that some of it couldn't be presented in a softer way, but please excuse any overzealous views. I would not expect to be hearing an apology from users here. They state their opinion - right, wrong or indifferent. The discussion is intended to provide insights and guidance on how to improve your work, and it can be frustrating.
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
theCapraAegagrus

I really have done my best to stop responding on this topic entirely, however...

Mike is quite probably the fairest and nicest person on this board. His criticism, if any, is always put in the most polite mannerism you could ask for.

Mahdi, your response to Mike's post is so ridiculous, that I honestly cannot believe you are Canadian. You really should be ashamed of yourself. Your responses on this thread, to the people of this forum, clearly reveals the type of person that you are; which is someone that is completely undeserving of the funding that your project has amassed. I really wish that your project wouldn't fund, because my educated guess is that a lot of backers have done so to support your struggle with bringing this to light in spite of your external limitations, despite those supporters being unable to see the monster that you are on the inside.

You are a freakin' deplorable person.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Bradius

Unread post by Bradius »

Since 2016, I have backed 227 successful Kickstarter projects. On my first backed project, I funded 257 CAD for a pledge that has still not been delivered, but I continue to back many Kickstarter projects. Right now, I am backing 13 active Kickstarter projects. The items I back are not just playing cards. Right now I am the first backer for a film project that I consider worthwhile.

When you put a project out on Kickstarter, it is an invitation for all to consider to help fund your vision, without any guarantee that we will receive any actual real reward in the end. For that reason, it is not for everyone. UnitedCardists tries to list many of the Kickstarter playing card projects and some are commented on and some not. We also have discussions on other non-kickstarter playing cards that are available. While I appreciate your sensitivity to your work product, your expectation that we fully research your project development are contact you directly rather than simply comment is unrealistic at best. Some members may be pointed in their comments, but I can also say they also have a keen eye for playing cards and often their praise and criticism is usually on the mark. Just the other day, several favorable comments on a project made me look again at it and back it to the tune of $120. This is a place, whether you choose to believe it or not, puts up a ton of money to back many kickstarter projects.

I don't wish your project ill, nor do I think it is badly designed. That said, I am not backing it.
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
TheGentlemanWake
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Do we even know if this is the real Mahdi? I think we're being trolled guys.