Avalon by Natalia Silva

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
ecNate
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 400

Avalon by Natalia Silva

Unread post by ecNate »

NOW LIVE

ust finally noticed the latest tease on these from Natalia Silva. Potential for sure.
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Magician: Yes

Re: Avalon (Natalia Silva) On Kickstarter in November

Unread post by rousselle »

That back is SICK! (As in, really good, for all you old folks out there.)

And, that sample face card looks not bad, too.

Assuming she ships some of what's currently in production between now and then, I'll be backing this one for certain.
This space intentionally left blank.
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by shermjack »

Nice! I like what I see so far! A metalluxe back would be perfect for this deck :ugthink:
A deck a day helps keep the addiction at bay!

Check out my collection on Instagram @caratcasecreations
PlanisViator

Unread post by PlanisViator »

Looks great - but in my opinion it just seems so similar to her other decks... like the slipper, or the bird deck...
I have very little complaints about the court cards though.
Maybe it's just me.
Oscar53955

Re: Avalon (Natalia Silva) On Kickstarter in November (wap)

Unread post by Oscar53955 »

Looks good! I didn’t really like her recent Calaveras decks enough to get those, but I like these. I will be waiting for the more pictures and details
shaitani
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Artistic Spring

Unread post by shaitani »

I'm not a fan of the text that appears on the tuck or the card backs, they look like afterthoughts. But literally everything else looks amazing, especially the court (Guinevere?). Can't wait to see more.
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

I am definitely interested. It looks good to me.
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

shaitani wrote:I'm not a fan of the text that appears on the tuck or the card backs, they look like afterthoughts. But literally everything else looks amazing, especially the court (Guinevere?). Can't wait to see more.
I agree. It almost looks like an Elite deck. I don't like how the front and back of tuck are so similar. But everything else looks great. Here's hoping for MetalLuxe (even as a stretch goal)?
theCapraAegagrus

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

I haven't backed any of Natalia's previous campaigns but these look really, really good.
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
JacksandJokers
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by JacksandJokers »

TwoPieceFeed wrote:I haven't backed any of Natalia's previous campaigns but these look really, really good.
Likewise, but I may be in for a few of these & Yes, this deck is just crying out to be gold foiled :D
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

The sword handle next to the "olive branch" thing look odd to me. It's as if there is no pointy end to the sword.

I don't think metalluxe would work with so much fine detail either.
Move on, nothing to see here.
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by rousselle »

One thing I just noticed: the shading effect on the card back seems the same both on the tuck and the card back, implying that it's part of the design and not something being done to enhance the render.

I really don't like it when the back has a faux shading/shining effect like that.

Natalia? Is the back a solid gold color on top of a solid black background, or are you shading the gold part to simulate a shine effect?
This space intentionally left blank.
Räpylätassu
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

LOVE that court! Best design from Natalia I have seen so far!

The back design is good, but does not jump to me as anything mindblowing, but still solid work. I just wonder that why to make the back black-gold and have the courts full of color?
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
Stepchild
Decks Owned: 146

Unread post by Stepchild »

The work in that sample court!!

I am in.
NataliaSilva2015
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by NataliaSilva2015 »

Hey Everyone!

Thank you so much for all your comments! I really appreciate this!

This deck will be with gold foil and embossing on the box, but I can't decide which printing company to choose. I usually print all my big projects with USPCCC, but they would charge a fortune for gold foil/embossing.

NPCC and EPCC are 2 other options. Which one do you prefer? I would love to hear your opinion!

Thank you so much!
Natalia
NataliaSilva2015
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

rousselle wrote:One thing I just noticed: the shading effect on the card back seems the same both on the tuck and the card back, implying that it's part of the design and not something being done to enhance the render.

I really don't like it when the back has a faux shading/shining effect like that.

Natalia? Is the back a solid gold color on top of a solid black background, or are you shading the gold part to simulate a shine effect?
Hi,

Thank you for your comment!

Yes, the back has some shading/shining effect, that's the only way to create a gold color. The problem with gold as a flat color is that it just turns into a horrible yellowy-brown. Gold tends to be made up of lots of flecks of different colors. Let's see what happens.....maybe I would get a budget big enough to make metalluxe back :)

Thank you!
Natalia
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

NataliaSilva2015 wrote:Hey Everyone!

This deck will be with gold foil and embossing on the box, but I can't decide which printing company to choose. I usually print all my big projects with USPCCC, but they would charge a fortune for gold foil/embossing.

NPCC and EPCC are 2 other options. Which one do you prefer? I would love to hear your opinion!

Thank you so much!
Natalia
My 2 cents? I would rather pay $25 for a USPCC MetalLuxe deck than $15 for an NPCC deck.
Oscar53955

Unread post by Oscar53955 »

vasta41 wrote:
NataliaSilva2015 wrote:Hey Everyone!

Thank you so much!
Natalia
My 2 cents? I would rather pay $25 for a USPCC MetalLuxe deck than $15 for an NPCC deck.
Yeah I would also prefer USPCC. I also like EPCC but not NPCC.
If a MetalLuxe deck is offered, I’m definitely in!
sinjin7
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by sinjin7 »

Either USPCC or EPCC (Taiwan, not China) would be a good choice, and if you go with foil on the back of the cards, then USPCC's MetalLuxe is a better choice than EPCCs foiling (due to better handling and the fact that EPCC's foiling technique causes a stamped impression to bleed through to the fronts of the cards). If these are printed by NPCC or EPCC in China, then I will avoid them as if they're radioactive.
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

I still think the back is too detailed for Metalluxe. See if USPCC can do it then you can decide on a printer.
Move on, nothing to see here.
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

RichK, you may be right. Honeybee Special Edition though was fairly intricate and it was made with MetalLuxe. I agree though, best to check with the manufacturer. If if not, it might be able to be modified slightly to use MetalLuxe. I agree with others, that it would be great to see this in foil. I would prefer a stunning deck, and pay more for it. Either way though, I am in.
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
Bruno
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Bruno »

The brightworked coins for the "MetalLuxe" Honeybee SE deck were by definition better than the defective and un-shiny decks themselves.
Before we get all distracted about this failure to deliver by uspcc, concentrate on the art of this creator, and put it in the hands of a company sympathetic to that art ....
i.e. *Any company other than uspcc*
This post is a simple statement of neccessary facts, nothing else.
Let us leave the disinformation right out of this, please.
O, I beg of you your comprehensions,
yet laugh at your contempts ....
my only competition is with myselves.

But Lèse-majesté, especially >Normans, natch.

Is jarnstill the Ars of the Hors Nebulous ?
Neigh .... the Effluxor of the Omniverse ??
Räpylätassu
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

I don't mind NPCC, but it might be a big turn off for others. Still, NPCC is nowhere near as bad as some people say, completely fine for normal gameplay, does not feel "off" when you look the cards in your hands. They also get nowhere enough recognition for the excellent tuck boxes they have put out, one of the best in that regard. Maybe their decks does not fit to magic or cardistry that well, but honestly, honestly, who is really going to use this deck for either of them. That being said, EPCC, LPCC, USPCC are all good options. Problem with USPCC of course that you need a heck of a lot of money to get the decks even printed and then even more to have a foil and embossing on the tuck box. I take EPCC/LPCC deck with all the bells and whistles over an USPCC plainjane tuck any day.

I finally got Giovanni's Sins decks today and I think they were printed in EPCC's Chinese factory. The quality wasn't bad at all, they were just a pain in the ass to open, as the cellophane outside and inside was quite hard to remove. So I prefer the Taiwanese factory.

I am pretty much going to get this deck anyway, wherever it's printed, given that the design continues to be as good as shown. If you are once again going to print a limited special version, I hope that
1. It's not just a tuck swap (different courts, different Jokers, different back design, foil, just as it someway different, not just in color).
2. If a different printer is used for the possible limited edition as in previous projects, I prefer NPCC over MPC. Simply: So much better tuck boxes.
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
TGunitedcardists

Unread post by TGunitedcardists »

I like it.
sms69x

Unread post by sms69x »

Räpylätassu wrote:Still, NPCC is nowhere near as bad as some people say, completely fine for normal gameplay, does not feel "off" when you look the cards in your hands. They also get nowhere enough recognition for the excellent tuck boxes they have put out, one of the best in that regard.
I can agree with you here, sure the cards are fine to gameplay and the boxes are quite good. But the thing that bugs me is the prices they charge. For an ok deck to play I don't pay more than $3- $4, but NPCC charges the same values as USPCC when they product is lightyears behind them... So yeah, NPCC is crap, when you weight the price charged and the product delivered. Their decks should be in the price range of $5 - $8 and not the $10-$13 they practice...
sinjin7
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by sinjin7 »

Räpylätassu wrote:NPCC is nowhere near as bad as some people say, completely fine for normal gameplay.
I can't even remember what my first NPCC deck was, the handling was such utter crap I threw them away and I swore I'd never buy an NPCC deck again. But after several months, some people on this forum started to say NPCC was improving and the quality of the finish was not so bad anymore. I decided to give NPCC another chance and pledged for the Midgard decks since the artwork was so nice. NPCC improved . . . from utter crap to disappointingly inadequate. It was fine for normal gameplay for about 3 hours and then they started to clump and stick to the point they were unpleasant to even shuffle. Now granted, my weekly poker nights last 5 hours and even a USPCC deck is pretty beat up by the end of the night, but at least they last the 5 hours and are in still usable condition afterwards. And forget about any cardistry application with NPCC.

With all the great decks being pumped out now, I don't need to compromise with my custom decks. It is unacceptable to have to choose between great quality or great artwork, I expect all my decks to have both now. Even awesome art/design with mediocre quality and handling doesn't cut it for me anymore. If a designer puts so much time, effort, and love into their design and they produce something beautiful, I just don't understand why they would compromise on the printer and not go for the highest quality they can truly be proud of and produce the complete package? To sms69x's point, most people printing with NPCC still charge the same prices as USPCC/EPCC decks. When I see this, I suspect it's just a naked cash grab and I walk away.

It looks like Natalia has a great deck in the works with Avalon, I hope she follows through with the complete package.
NataliaSilva2015
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Thank you so much everyone for your comments and suggestions! I really appreciate each and every opinion!

I totally agree that when you put so much time, effort, and love into your design......you want to see a beautiful, high quality product at the end.
I like USPCC but it will be crazy expensive even just to print gold foil/embossed tuck case. With EPCC (in Taiwan) I could afford to add more luxury elements to the deck. hmmmm.....not sure yet.

Thank you so much EVERYONE for your help!!! :)

Kind regards,
Natalia
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

NataliaSilva2015 wrote:Thank you so much everyone for your comments and suggestions! I really appreciate each and every opinion!

I totally agree that when you put so much time, effort, and love into your design......you want to see a beautiful, high quality product at the end.
I like USPCC but it will be crazy expensive even just to print gold foil/embossed tuck case. With EPCC (in Taiwan) I could afford to add more luxury elements to the deck. hmmmm.....not sure yet.

Thank you so much EVERYONE for your help!!! :)

Kind regards,
Natalia
If you feel comfortable doing so, I would love to see the price comparisons with the two companys. As in: you could do A for $$$ with USPCC or A+B+C for $$ with EPCC.
portcullis
Decks Owned: 440

Unread post by portcullis »

Hey Natalia! Not what I was expecting at all for your next deck, these look brilliant. Can't wait to see more of the court designs. I'll be good for a couple I think.
NataliaSilva2015
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Hey Everyone!

"AVALON" Playing Cards campaign starts on November 1st at 10:00 A.M. California time!

Thank you so much!

Kind regards,
Natalia
Attachments
22904766_10155528914029193_6418501802521836461_o.jpg