Name of the Wind Art Deck (Echo Chernik/Patrick Rothfuss)

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
ecNate
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 400

Name of the Wind Art Deck (Echo Chernik/Patrick Rothfuss)

Unread post by ecNate »

Given the artist and popular book background, no surprise this took off FAST, but wow!

RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Re: Name of the Wind Art Deck (Echo Chernik/Patrick Rothfuss

Unread post by RichK »

I find it amusing that they mention 36 pip cards. :)
Move on, nothing to see here.
Azid

Unread post by Azid »

Nice deck with good artwork, maybe i'll back it.

Very impressive support for this campaign, what makes me wondering. There are really nice projects that struggle to reach their funding goal of 7k or 10k. And then BOOM a first time creator blasts it of with 175k+ in 2 days. Miracles still happening on kickstarter. :lol:
ecNate
Decks Owned: 400

Unread post by ecNate »

Azid wrote:Very impressive support for this campaign, what makes me wondering. There are really nice projects that struggle to reach their funding goal of 7k or 10k. And then BOOM a first time creator blasts it of with 175k+ in 2 days. Miracles still happening on kickstarter. :lol:
Not really. The book it's based on sold millions of copies and was a best seller with plans for tv and/or movie. The author has a quarter million facebook followers alone. Then there is the popular artist who did the artwork. That pair was also the primary reason this past card game took off so well too - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ch ... c-pub-game. It was bound to happen.

I'm not quite sure myself though, I liked her work on Pairs deck, but having not read the book the artwork alone isn't quite enough I think.
NataliaSilva2015
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by NataliaSilva2015 »

Nice deck, but I am wondering if it would get the same funding, if it wouldn't be based on the book........
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Really impressive take up. I have heard about the book from friends.

That said, I am curious about the gilding and EPCC. My understanding says Expert's Taiwan factory did not had the capability of doing gilding in house. I might be wrong with my assumption though. Has someone got any gilded decks coming from Taiwan factory? Or, it might be the case that they are doing printing in China and getting gilding done from some partner there itself. Or, getting the printing done in Taiwan and gilding happens in US through GW etc.
Gareth

Unread post by Gareth »

guru wrote:Or, it might be the case that they are doing printing in China and getting gilding done from some partner there itself.
Exactly my thought - I was going to back these (to go with the original Name of the Wind decks by Albino Dragon), but the uncertainty regarding where any EPCC deck might be printed put paid to that.

I guess 'Legal Tender' was an expensive lesson to me - no more EPCC (unless I'm sure it's _already_been_printed_ in Taiwan).
Thedissident001

Unread post by Thedissident001 »

I must be missing something on this deck. The art is good without being anywhere near great, and the overall layout of the cards themselves is just a pass mark. No accounting for taste I suppose.
jsantafe

Unread post by jsantafe »

I'm just reading the second book from the trilogy (the third hasn't been published yet) and it's very nice. Wouldn't call it an all time classic, but very entertaining and the characters are well designed.
I passed over the Albino Dragon deck but now I will try to get it.

Also, this deck is based on the first book only, new campaign will come with characters from the second one and same when the third appears.

Can't really think how this campaign affects Albino, their rights and its position, however
JS

Every deck I open makes your sealed one more valuable. You're welcome.
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

Did anyone get these? In the end I had to bow out of this. However, while doing some background on the highest funded decks, I went back and noticed that this finally was released a couple of months ago. I was interested in the impressions of those that received the decks. It looks really nice from the photos I have seen. I was surprised that not many have shown up on ebay. I guess this is another deck to consider for this year. Given that it was the largest funded deck on Kickstarter, I wanted some input on it from some folks that have it in hand.
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
Magic Tapp
Decks Owned: 816

Unread post by Magic Tapp »

Bradius wrote:Did anyone get these? In the end I had to bow out of this. However, while doing some background on the highest funded decks, I went back and noticed that this finally was released a couple of months ago. I was interested in the impressions of those that received the decks. It looks really nice from the photos I have seen. I was surprised that not many have shown up on ebay. I guess this is another deck to consider for this year. Given that it was the largest funded deck on Kickstarter, I wanted some input on it from some folks that have it in hand.
I have their set (Sela plus Chandrian plus the alternative versions of both) and the cards are nicely done with beautiful artwork but the tucks are a bit plain and disappointing compared to the cards themselves. In other words, the opposite of some of the T11 decks...
wingedpotato
White Whale: Cardistry-Con Tally Ho 2018
Decks Owned: 600

Unread post by wingedpotato »

Magic Tapp wrote:
Bradius wrote:Did anyone get these? In the end I had to bow out of this. However, while doing some background on the highest funded decks, I went back and noticed that this finally was released a couple of months ago. I was interested in the impressions of those that received the decks. It looks really nice from the photos I have seen. I was surprised that not many have shown up on ebay. I guess this is another deck to consider for this year. Given that it was the largest funded deck on Kickstarter, I wanted some input on it from some folks that have it in hand.
I have their set (Sela plus Chandrian plus the alternative versions of both) and the cards are nicely done with beautiful artwork but the tucks are a bit plain and disappointing compared to the cards themselves. In other words, the opposite of some of the T11 decks...
Exactly my thoughts as well. The tucks were missing some contrast so the foil doesn't pop like it should.
"I have no response to that."

https://portfolio52.com/profile/1230