Bharata Playing Cards

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Re: Bharata Playing Cards - Live now on Kickstarter

Unread post by guru »

@All- We're funded. Thanks for the support.

I've launched the tarot deck and it runs for a short duration too. See you there.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/su ... ying-cards" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pablo

Unread post by pablo »

Really wish this was a full tarot deck with all cards illustrated like the tower, death. It seems lile one of the few times you've comprimised on the actual goal

Enviado desde mi Aquaris_M4.5 mediante Tapatalk
vedus

Unread post by vedus »

Conversely, I backed the new deck and wouldn't have if it was a full tarot.
Bruno
Collector: Yes
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Bruno »

Did you find it yet pablo?
The bit where Sunish pulls a swifty on us and compromises his integrity by going back on his stated intention of producing a full tarot ? (deep breath)
No ?
Couldn't find that exact bit ?
Probly a reason fer that pabs.
His tarot never was going to be a full on tarot type tarot ....
Simply a nice blue poker type tarot.
So ....
O, I beg of you your comprehensions,
yet laugh at your contempts ....
my only competition is with myselves.

But Lèse-majesté, especially >Normans, natch.

Is jarnstill the Ars of the Hors Nebulous ?
Neigh .... the Effluxor of the Omniverse ??
pablo

Unread post by pablo »

Bruno wrote:Did you find it yet pablo?
The bit where Sunish pulls a swifty on us and compromises his integrity by going back on his stated intention of producing a full tarot ? (deep breath)
No ?
Couldn't find that exact bit ?
Probly a reason fer that pabs.
His tarot never was going to be a full on tarot type tarot ....
Simply a nice blue poker type tarot.
So.
I think maybe the compromised integrity belongs wholly to your good self ?

You have had time to explore your error, it should not have taken this amount of time to retract the above, hey.

This message will self destruct in .... :?:
Sorry Bruno, sorry Sunish. I retract my statement and hope my integrity is restored. [emoji14]

In all fairness, maybe i did phrase it wrong (though your approach, Bruno, isn't any better). My view is that a poker deck with 4 tarot cards is not a full tarot and having already put in production a poker deck Im not sure about why the "tarot" deck that IS a compromise between a poker and a tarot deck is happening in the first place. Sunish never compromises on a product and always tries to get the most for his backers, so why not go with a full tarot? I really like the art on the tarot cards and would love to see more of it.
Bruno
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Bruno »

Sunish, he's a great one for exploring the avenues towards getting the better result ....
In a game where sleight gets out of hand, I reckon that the only thing Sunish Chabra ever compromises would be his own finances.
Thanks for coming back pablo.
I just could not leave your post unanswered .... :D
O, I beg of you your comprehensions,
yet laugh at your contempts ....
my only competition is with myselves.

But Lèse-majesté, especially >Normans, natch.

Is jarnstill the Ars of the Hors Nebulous ?
Neigh .... the Effluxor of the Omniverse ??
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Thanks guys for the feedback & suggestions.

I'd seriously like to get the tarot inspired deck funded. Even if there are people who are not tarot collectors or enthusiasts, it does provide 4 extra cards apart from the usual 52, and comes with a new back and tuck as compared to the other version.

I'm aware that there will be an expectation towards getting a full tarot deck or an expansion having Major Arcana, before I move to that, I'd like to see the uptake of the current deck by backers. I also understand that GPCC being a new entity, there is going to be a general lack of confidence by a no. of folks on KIckstarter but I'm looking for people who take a leap of faith or can give a chance to new creators. For the former, the work will speak itself.

That said, an expansion is already there in my backlog of work, so it will happen in future. Now, I'd like to see how this deck fares even though it is an usual departure from a regular poker deck by having different pips on other diagonal & 4 cards but no jokers. Let's see.
NineLives
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by NineLives »

Good luck with the campaign Sunish :)
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Re: Bharata Playing Cards

Unread post by guru »

Shared an update for Bharata tarot deck. There is a plan for a stretch goal of interior foil on tuckbox.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/su ... ts/1937305" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Just posted a Production update. It is going well folks...Fingers crossed for the next steps.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/su ... ts/1942147" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Tuckbox foil picture and a video in the latest update on KS.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/su ... ts/1946937" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
vedus

Unread post by vedus »

Looking pretty slick. Can't wait to get mine.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

vedus wrote:Looking pretty slick. Can't wait to get mine.
Just wait for embossing and gilding to finish.....Fingers crossed.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Embossing and inner foil on tuck is complete. Cards are in gilding workshop while tucks go for cutting at printer's.

IMG_0905.JPG-1.jpg
IMG_0902.JPG-1.jpg
Latest update here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/su ... ts/1947929" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Beautiful gold holographic gilding is done. Videos and pics await you all backers.
Screen Shot 2017-08-05 at 12.51.32 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-05 at 12.51.32 AM.png (188 KiB) Viewed 1596 times
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/su ... ts/1955101" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Feedback on handling is not what I expected.....please check the update and reach out to me for any question.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Just to be more clear here on UC. I do understand the importance of post processing on cards and the role different varnishes play to get that handling.

Per my latest status update, cards are almost done as you would have seen but due to the special gilding, one of the key varnishes could not be applied to the sheet or else it would have resulted into some kind of reaction paving the way to discarding the whole production run. Given the deck is in Production, the guys informed me about it after it was completed because production can't stop for such a reason as it can impact timelines for gilding orders waiting downstream. This will result into the handling being not on par, and though this is a new finish called ORNATE but I'm afraid it won't live up to the high standards I envisioned it to be.

If given a choice between finish or gilding, I would have still gone with the gilding and it is my personal choice.

I understand folks here are pretty passionate about card handling so in case someone hasn't gone through the latest update, please do so and message me for any question. If handling is what you were after from this project, then I have already offered to provide full refund to anyone. Till now only @Flashcards came to me with refund request and it was processed within a minute of him sending the message to me. I understand his point of view and also understand this deck may not have lived upto his expectations from handling front. Any other backer feels about the same, just ask now before fulfillment starts.

All said, I've not received the deck yet but I'm here to manage expectations. This is still a deck that I personally believe you all will be proud to have in your collection.

Let me know for any question.

Best Regards,
Sunish
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

More pics, manual cello wrap issue and call out for extra add-ons or pre-order....check the latest update here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/su ... ts/1961464" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Fulfillment has started....As promised,decks will be sent through one of the best and recommended shipping channels which means most of you can expect to get the decks delivered through your local postal service. On Kickstarter, most know it as <country name> friendly shipping.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/su ... ts/1969979" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please share your reviews, critique and any feedback here once you've the decks/s in your hands.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Looks like backers have started receiving their rewards starting with Singapore & Hong Kong. Initial feedback has been encouraging on both the decks as well as packaging + shipping.

Fingers crossed for receiving feedback from rest of the backers community.

Thanks everyone.
Thedissident001

Unread post by Thedissident001 »

Deck received in Sydney Australia today.

First impressions, the gold holographic detailing on the tuck is strikingly beautiful. The embossing on the tuck is perfectly accentuating of the detailing on the tuck, not excessive in any way. The cello is very tight and will appease those who detest a loose fitting cello. Once this was carefully removed, I encountered the two of only three possible downsides to this deck. First, the deck was exceedingly difficult to open, although this is not a reasonable criticism. The second is, in my opinion, however; this being the glue that adheres the side of the box together came away very easily of its own accord when the tuck was first opened. I attribute this to a combination of weak glue (sparingly applied) and the fact that the embossing on the inner edge of the gold/white tuck meant there was no fully flat surface to form a strong bond. Onto the cards, the gold holographic gilding is awesome and ties the cards in with the tuck seamlessly. The colouration and detailing of the court cards, jokers and extra card are vivid and quite striking. The cards feel solid without being too thick. Although I am not qualified to comment intelligently on handling, I feel that these will endure quite well. This is easily the best quality playing cards I have seen come out of the PRC factory by a long shot. The third and final possible minute observation is that some of the pips on the indices aren't aligned perpendicularly to the left and right side edges of the card. I stress that this is not apparent on all the indices, but specific cards like the 9 ♥️ are quite obvious in their lack of symmetry. I'm unconvinced whether this was intended as a design feature but they arguably remove the balance when viewing the card from opposing angles.
Sunish and Guru Playing Cards should be incredibly proud of what has been delivered here, congratulated on an impeccably communicated and well planned Kickstarter project. The project was turned around swiftly, significantly more so than other more experienced (and 'reveered') creators.

The "bang for your buck" on this deck is outstanding. The $14USD delivered worldwide price point (less for early birds and multiple backers) is a complete steal.

Very well done and can't wait to see (and back) your future offerings Sunish!
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Thedissident001 wrote:Deck received in Sydney Australia today.

First impressions, the gold holographic detailing on the tuck is strikingly beautiful. The embossing on the tuck is perfectly accentuating of the detailing on the tuck, not excessive in any way. The cello is very tight and will appease those who detest a loose fitting cello. Once this was carefully removed, I encountered the two of only three possible downsides to this deck. First, the deck was exceedingly difficult to open, although this is not a reasonable criticism. The second is, in my opinion, however; this being the glue that adheres the side of the box together came away very easily of its own accord when the tuck was first opened. I attribute this to a combination of weak glue (sparingly applied) and the fact that the embossing on the inner edge of the gold/white tuck meant there was no fully flat surface to form a strong bond. Onto the cards, the gold holographic gilding is awesome and ties the cards in with the tuck seamlessly. The colouration and detailing of the court cards, jokers and extra card are vivid and quite striking. The cards feel solid without being too thick. Although I am not qualified to comment intelligently on handling, I feel that these will endure quite well. This is easily the best quality playing cards I have seen come out of the PRC factory by a long shot. The third and final possible minute observation is that some of the pips on the indices aren't aligned perpendicularly to the left and right side edges of the card. I stress that this is not apparent on all the indices, but specific cards like the 9 ♥️ are quite obvious in their lack of symmetry. I'm unconvinced whether this was intended as a design feature but they arguably remove the balance when viewing the card from opposing angles.
Sunish and Guru Playing Cards should be incredibly proud of what has been delivered here, congratulated on an impeccably communicated and well planned Kickstarter project. The project was turned around swiftly, significantly more so than other more experienced (and 'reveered') creators.

The "bang for your buck" on this deck is outstanding. The $14USD delivered worldwide price point (less for early birds and multiple backers) is a complete steal.

Very well done and can't wait to see (and back) your future offerings Sunish!
Thanks @Thedissident001 for the feedback. Much appreciated. Hope you'll cherish the decks for years to come.

I'd a word with the printer on the feedback too. On the glue coming off the sides, they are also not sure of why it happened because they are using same process & quality control for all other decks. They did acknowledge that this was the first deck with this level of embossing done on every design element on tuck including sides where there is no fully flat surface to form a strong bond, an assertion you'd already reached as well. This is still a dampener & I'm sorry that it happened with the deck you received.

It is a thick deck if you compare it to any other deck from other printers while I've used a better n sturdier tuckbox material. The third observation seems to be registration issue during cutting of the cards but the proof (uncut sheet) I've got doesn't has it. I'm yet to receive the decks as the courier company left the package at the nearest newsagency and I've not been able to pick it up yet.

That said, I wanted this deck to be the best bang for the buck and a reward for all Kickstarter backers, and I'm glad to see it being perceived as that. I'd told everyone that on this project you won't have to wait for the ship to arrive on the port, suffer long production lead times, exaggerated claims by creators while having genuine pricing and international shipping costs. As I tell everyone, we all have a choice. Go with the status quo or try to rise against it. In this day and age where price determines how valuable a thing is, I wanted to challenge this belief by producing such a deck which will be termed as the best decision and investment a backer does on Kickstarter ( I think this is what Kickstarter is for).

I'm feeling chuffed that I could meet those expectations. Thank you for the feedback again.

Please keep the feedback and reviews coming.
maxs

Unread post by maxs »

I received my decks yesterday.

First of all, the decks were absolutely well packed. Never seen so much bubble wraps around a deck of cards before :D . Well done!

I really like the artwork of the tuck and deck, very colorful and vivid.

The gilding looks really cool.

Now to the downside. The cards don't handle very well. To be honest, I was expecting that because I've never had a gilded deck that handles well. I wished there would have been a non-gilded version as well.

If you are a collector, get this deck. If you plan to use the cards, I wouldn't recommend them.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Thanks @Maxs for your feedback.

After the fulfillment of Divine Art project, I'd been more careful in shipping/packaging and wanted to make sure decks reach safely in your hands even if the packets get abused during the transit. In fact, a backer messaged me saying she loved the packaging because when she received the box it was wet due to the rain water flooding the mailbox but due to the multiple bubble wraps, nothing happened to the deck.

On the handling front, as I'd mentioned before, one of the key coatings could not be applied to the deck due to the hand gilding process applied on the cards. Still, if you've got the Archduke deck which had quantum grain finish by any chance, you will find that Bharata deck has a finish inspired by the former which is completely made in-house. Because of the gilding, it is not a deck for cardists for sure as are other gilded decks which are sold at a higher premium making collectors or reviewers not to open or review such decks. But if you talk about playability, then yes, it is a completely playable deck.

I also feel that I should have gone for non-gilded version too, and these are the instances where you learn and get better next time onwards.
maxs

Unread post by maxs »

guru wrote: Because of the gilding, it is not a deck for cardists for sure as are other gilded decks which are sold at a higher premium making collectors or reviewers not to open or review such decks. But if you talk about playability, then yes, it is a completely playable deck.
You are right, it is indeed a playable deck, no doubt. When I was talking about handling I was referring to shuffling (riffle, faro etc.), fanning, spring & dribble.
Räpylätassu
Player: Yes
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

Hey if anyone has an extra Bharata deck, I would like to acquire one by a trade. My tradelist
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
vedus

Unread post by vedus »

Decks came in today and they look great. The gilding looks fantastic in day light. I had the same issue with the box separating along the side, but I was expecting it, so it didn't really bother me. Looks great and well (over) packaged for shipping.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Thanks @davidshute.

sms69x
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by sms69x »

My decks came in a few days ago and I was extrmely happy with them!
First things first:
*Packaging and shipping: What a great service Sunish provided!! Shipment took about a week and it came directly to my doorstep, no customs delays or fees (can't remember of this happening lately with any other order)!! I hope other creators follows Sunish footsteps reggarding this matter, or maybe Sunish could share how he managed to provide such a great shipping service at "no cost" to backers.
Packaging was also great, a bit exaggerated, in my opinion. I believe that the same quality could be archieved with half of the material... Just hope that Sunish still managed to get some profit out of this deck with such a shipping and packaging service.

Now for the good stuff:
*Tuck box: Very sturdy and beautiful. The holographic foil looks great and the embossing is also good - was expecting a bit more detail on the embossing, but still very nice. Only problem is the glue on the side, mine also came off, but since the cellophane is so tight it holds the box together pretty good!!

*Cards: Taking the obvious out of the way, the artwork is great, both faces and back (very colorful and vivid). The holographic gold gilded is fantastic, great job, and it doesn't come off that easily, very nice indeed!!
The stock is somewath thick, but it isn't that stiff, it is still hard to do springs at first, but dribbles and riffle are quite easy. As for the finish, it is linen, although if feels more like smooth finish. You can see it has a linen finish but you can't feel it that much. As for the coating, it looks as a plastic coating, and maybe because of this the cards feel that smooth. Sunish said that one coating could not be applied due to this special manual gilding. All of this together makes the handling not that good, after I played with the deck for some minutes I managed to start being able to do some fans and spreads even (still some clumping but almost even!), so I guess it is a matter of #practicemore!!! Don't expect this deck to be a cardistry deck, but it sure can be handled quite well.

All in all, this is a fantastic deck, one of the bests out there, and for the price, I'm sure you can't get any better deal than this (Holographic gold gilded deck for $12 USD?? Who else dares to do such a deck???). Other creators are all about profit, but I'm not yet sure whats Sunish about!! Sure he isn't loosing money, but it looks like he is really interested in costumers satisfaction and quality product delivering most.
Bharata
Bharata
Congrats Sunish, and please count me in for your next project.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Thanks @sms69x for the detailed review, loved reading it.

Good to know that you received the decks fast and without any hassles. I didn't think that someone will be able to do fans, spreads, riffles etc. with this deck easily because it simply lacks a particular varnish that could have improved the handling but it was a tradeoff decision I made while choosing gilding.
shaitani
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Artistic Spring

Unread post by shaitani »

I received mine as well, while I don't open my decks very often I am strongly considering opening one of mine for these so I can see that amazing looking gilding, especially after those pictures from above.

Although I did want to comment on how fitting and underrated the foil on the tuck is. It's a like a holographic or pearlescent gold foil, and I don't think I've ever seen it before on another deck, I was pleasantly surprised by it.
It brings the wild colors of the rest of the tuck together in a very unique way.
sms69x's picture above captures what I'm talking about on the spine of the tuck, and I'm suspecting that the gilding is the same way.

Sunish, I hope the rest of this fulfilment goes smoothly and I'm looking forward to the next project and what cool ideas you're able to bring to it.