Wild West Decks - Lawman and Outlaw Decks

Designing a deck? Need input? Show us here!
Jamm Pakd Cards
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Jamm Pakd Cards »

Hey Everyone,

I wanted to give everyone a sneak peek into the next project Gonzo and I are working on. The next project is inspired by the Wild West!
There is going to be 2 decks the Lawman Deck and the Outlaw Deck. Each deck will have different court cards and different backs. Lawman Deck will have famous lawman of the wild west and the outlaw deck will have famous outlaws.

Here is the card we are working on for the Lawman Deck, King of Spades - Wyatt Earp. This is the first version, card could be modified. I just wanted to share with everyone what we are working on. Gonzo is hand drawing the court cards now and then we will be working on the illustrations.
Attachments
w earp jpeg.jpg
w earp jpeg.jpg (65.65 KiB) Viewed 3937 times
Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards
Wild West Decks - Now Live

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/JammPakdCards?ref=hl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Website: http://www.jammpakdcards.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kickstarter: Wild West Decks Now Live
Nathan

Re: Wild West Decks - Lawman and Outlaw Decks

Unread post by Nathan »

This looks great! The only thing that bugs me a little is the point of the Spade lining up behind the gun. It feels like one or the other should be nudged a bit so we can see the point.
Design Enthusiast
cherrynukacola
Collector: Yes

Unread post by cherrynukacola »

Lovely! Just a couple of things, IMO, the gun placement creates an optical illusion that makes the spade look unbalanced and have you tried it without the text? I think that might help the art to pop more.
volantangel
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 350

Unread post by volantangel »

Nathan wrote:This looks great! The only thing that bugs me a little is the point of the Spade lining up behind the gun. It feels like one or the other should be nudged a bit so we can see the point.
Indeed, heres another suggestion. Toss the spade pip to the right side, and move the person's name to under the indices.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

volantangel wrote:
Nathan wrote:This looks great! The only thing that bugs me a little is the point of the Spade lining up behind the gun. It feels like one or the other should be nudged a bit so we can see the point.
Indeed, heres another suggestion. Toss the spade pip to the right side, and move the person's name to under the indices.
Or just remove the name altogether, and have an ad card with an identity index.

Ex: K♠ - Wyatt Earp
Q♠ - Calamity Jane
J♠ - Billy The Kid
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
Jamm Pakd Cards
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Glad you guys like it and thanks for the suggestions. More to come in the future.
Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/JammPakdCards?ref=hl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Website: http://www.jammpakdcards.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SimonTornberg
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Decks Owned: 150

Unread post by SimonTornberg »

If you really want the names on the court I have a suggestion for you. Split Wyatt in half and make a small bar to display his name in a fancy way!
Jamm Pakd Cards
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Hey Everyone, We are back to the Wild West Decks!
There will be two different decks in this project. The Lawman Deck will have lawmen and women from the Wild West as the face cards. The Outlaw deck will have the Outlaws of the Wild West. Each Deck will be different, different backs, colors, tuck boxes and of course face cards. With this project I am also going to have poker chips, cases and a coin. I have been interested in the wild west since I was little. Living in Arizona I have been fortunate to have been surrounded by elements from the wild west my whole life. I remember going to Tombstone as a child to watch the Wild West Shows in Old Tucson.

More information to come as Gonzo and I complete the cards. All cards are hand drawn and then illustrated. Wyatt Earp is our 1st card in the Lawman Deck. Deck arriving on Kickstarter in Early 2016.
Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards

Jamm Pakd Cards
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Hey Everyone,

We made some changes from the 1st pic, We took some suggestions and moved the spade over which I think makes a big difference. Here is the updated version.
Attachments
western_card_KofS.jpg
western_card_KofS.jpg (149.09 KiB) Viewed 3724 times
Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards

TGunitedcardists

Unread post by TGunitedcardists »

I don't like the shape of the spade pip. Looks like the silhouette of stubby Christmas tree.

The problem with the pip being behind the gun is solved by making Wyatt Earp looking in the opposite direction (to the right) like the King of Spades is on most decks... Basically flip him on the horizontal axis.

I don't like the text. Ad card with the names is best. If you really want to use the names, make them really small.
Jamm Pakd Cards
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

TGunitedcardists wrote:I don't like the shape of the spade pip. Looks like the silhouette of stubby Christmas tree.

The problem with the pip being behind the gun is solved by making Wyatt Earp looking in the opposite direction (to the right) like the King of Spades is on most decks... Basically flip him on the horizontal axis.

I don't like the text. Ad card with the names is best. If you really want to use the names, make them really small.
Hey, Thanks for the suggestions, yes I think we will have to make the names small or have them on the ad card. There are some big names of some of the people we putting on the cards. We are still working on the name idea.

Thanks again - more to come,

Justin
Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards

Jamm Pakd Cards
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Hey Everyone! Here are some sketches for the Back of the Outlaw Deck. I wanted to have some key elements on the back of the card but there are some different ways we thought of how the layout could go. Keep in mind these are just sketches :) Let me know which one out of the three you like best!

Thanks,
Attachments
IMG_1799.JPG
IMG_1800.JPG
IMG_1801.JPG
Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards

Levent Suberk
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Unread post by Levent Suberk »

Very good drawings.

I think that the third one is the best.
TGunitedcardists

I don't really like any them. The hat feels out a place. You need bullets and guns. Maybe some horses.
Jamm Pakd Cards
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Levent Suberk wrote:Very good drawings.

I think that the third one is the best.

Thanks!
Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards

sprouts1115
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Decks Owned: 50

Unread post by sprouts1115 »

defiantly not #1. Your looking at a head with upside-down guns.
RussellSprouts
Jamm Pakd Cards
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Hey Everyone, So I have the illustrated art for the Outlaw deck. I decided to go with the third one. Here are a couple of color options, still working on which colors to use. I would like to use like a black and silverish color. Maybe put in metallic silver (maybe stretch goal of metallic ink or foil) , still not sure yet.
Attachments
outlaw_card_back_A1.jpg
outlaw_card_back_A4.jpg
outlaw_card_back_A6.jpg
Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards

TGunitedcardists

I think the first one is the best of the three.
4.of.Clubs

Unread post by 4.of.Clubs »

The mask is popping out so much it just reminds me of the vintage fan.

I think the second back would look super cool if the gray areas in the background is silver foiled (kinda like the silver split spades).
----------> Check out the decks I have for sale! <----------
----------> Also check out my Trade List and Wish List, maybe we can make a deal! <----------
sprouts1115
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Jamm Pakd Crads - I Don't like any of them.
Screenshot 2016-01-29 18.40.23.png
Screenshot 2016-01-29 18.40.23.png (35.61 KiB) Viewed 3401 times

You are missing the fan.

You have to think what is your opponent going to see when you are playing a game. Maybe, it's to obvious. Place the center image inside your fan. Ppl like little circles in the fan. It's a growing trend. It use to be...
Screenshot 2016-01-29 18.42.59.png
Screenshot 2016-01-29 18.42.59.png (29.47 KiB) Viewed 3401 times
RussellSprouts
Jamm Pakd Cards
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

4.of.Clubs wrote:The mask is popping out so much it just reminds me of the vintage fan.

I think the second back would look super cool if the gray areas in the background is silver foiled (kinda like the silver split spades).
Thanks, I think silver foil would be cool, might have to do a stretch goal for that.
Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards

Jamm Pakd Cards
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Hey Everyone, Here is the Lawman Deck Back!
Attachments
lawmen_back_A2.jpg
Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards

jsantafe

Unread post by jsantafe »

Very cool back
JS

Every deck I open makes your sealed one more valuable. You're welcome.
sprouts1115
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Jamm Pakd Cards - Nice back. You can put a small dash for the "A" in USA and make it a "one-way" back. You broke the rule, but made it work. You can't see the "U" I mean "A" in the fan...
RussellSprouts
Jamm Pakd Cards
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

jsantafe wrote:Very cool back
Thank you,
Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards

Jamm Pakd Cards
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

sprouts1115 wrote:Jamm Pakd Cards - Nice back. You can put a small dash for the "A" in USA and make it a "one-way" back. You broke the rule, but made it work. You can't see the "U" I mean "A" in the fan...
Thanks Sprouts1115 for the suggestion, I agree I think I need to add something there or I might just get rid of the USA and put a different design in the middle.
Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards

Jamm Pakd Cards
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

we made some changes on the kings of spades, I believe this spacing is better. Thanks for all of the suggestions they really helped.
Attachments
lawmen_cards_B.jpg
Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards

TGunitedcardists

Looks better. I still dislike the shape of the spade pip, but it's your project!

As far as the middle of the back goes, maybe guns or handcuffs instead of USA and keep the back 2 way.
Jamm Pakd Cards
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

TGunitedcardists wrote:Looks better. I still dislike the shape of the spade pip, but it's your project!

As far as the middle of the back goes, maybe guns or handcuffs instead of USA and keep the back 2 way.

Thanks, guns or handcuffs might work, thanks for the suggestions.
Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards

montecarlojoe
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

Just a thought - but Aces are often referred to as bullets - maybe there's something you could do with that...