DeckCollect.com - A new place to track your playing card collection

Anything and everything playing cards!
Timmargh
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Cartes Indiennes green back

Re: DeckCollect.com - A new place to track your playing card collection

Unread post by Timmargh »

manu wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:04 pm Sequential IDs have a few drawbacks, unique IDs are usually considered best practice now. That said, I agree that the links are a little longer than I'd like. I don't think it's a huge deal, but I can look into implementing neater urls in the future.

I personally don't see a problem with the URLs as it's not like you're going to type then in.
kevork
White Whale: NPCCD 17 Amethyst + Prototypes
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by kevork »

Right now, if you open a couple of decks in new tabs, it asks you to log in. If you refresh the page, then it's back to having logged you in. Something about a new tab isn't translating the login token correctly.
Image@playingcardophile
Invisible ink. Who woulda thunk it?
[BUY] Complete Lotrek Collection
[BUY] NPCCD Decks
hsbc
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Grid 1 LE
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by hsbc »

kevork wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:49 pm Right now, if you open a couple of decks in new tabs, it asks you to log in. If you refresh the page, then it's back to having logged you in. Something about a new tab isn't translating the login token correctly.
I do not have this issue
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
Harvonsgard
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

hsbc wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:56 pmI also think the description should be moved below the infobox -- thoughts?
That's an yes from me. Seeing that the description most likely will be copy and pasted ad copy anyways it makes sense to me to have the objective features above them.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
hsbc

Unread post by hsbc »

I've added 257 decks to my collection and the "view collection" page won't load: "Application error: a client-side exception has occurred (see the browser console for more information)."

If I had to guess I'd say it's trying to pull too many decks at once since there's no pagination on user collections

I also can't export anything -- it worked a few days ago

Also, what should we do about companies that change names? Specifically I have decks by Elephant Playing Cards and they're now called Talking Point -- ideally I'd like an "alias" tag that would show "Elephant" but clicking either tag should show both companies (if that makes sense?)

Idea: add a simple text footer, something like:
Deck Collect - 1,205 decks - 85 users (51 active)

Tag request: Theory 11 > theory11
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
Timmargh

hsbc wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:58 pm [...]

I also can't export anything -- it worked a few days ago

[...]

Nor can I. (I was checking to make sure that it wasn't related to your collection size.)
manu

Unread post by manu »

Thanks everyone. Exports should be fixed and collections are paginated now. I also truncated deck descriptions, which you can expand to read more.
hsbc

Unread post by hsbc »

manu wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:31 am Exports should be fixed and collections are paginated now
Both work :D
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
hsbc

Unread post by hsbc »

I still think the description should be second -- and the print run should be more prominent, maybe next to the year?

Bicycle Example 2023 (x/1,500)

I also think I accidentally make a dupe Company tag called "Excelsior" in addition to "Excelsior Playing Cards", could you delete the first (empty) one please?
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
shaneriley
White Whale: Crypt
Decks Owned: 550

Unread post by shaneriley »

I'd like to check out the beta instance. I had scraped what I could from Wayback's archives of P52's deck detail pages and paired them up with the front and back images in an app I wrote on my local machine, and then when I saw this I stopped developing it. I could see about getting them added to the database.
Timmargh

shaneriley wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:27 am I'd like to check out the beta instance. I had scraped what I could from Wayback's archives of P52's deck detail pages and paired them up with the front and back images in an app I wrote on my local machine, and then when I saw this I stopped developing it. I could see about getting them added to the database.

Can you upload that data so that others can grab a copy? Especially the images.

EDIT: Apologies; I forgot the magic word: please? :)
wingedpotato
White Whale: Cardistry-Con Tally Ho 2018
Decks Owned: 600

Unread post by wingedpotato »

Timmargh wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:13 am
shaneriley wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:27 am I'd like to check out the beta instance. I had scraped what I could from Wayback's archives of P52's deck detail pages and paired them up with the front and back images in an app I wrote on my local machine, and then when I saw this I stopped developing it. I could see about getting them added to the database.

+1, +1 please
"I have no response to that."

https://portfolio52.com/profile/1230
GandalfPC
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Ambergris
Decks Owned: 1700

Unread post by GandalfPC »

Regarding anyones ability to use the data that people had uploaded to Portfolio52, images and data on decks - the terms of use seem to allow it. They were granted the right to use them, not rights over them…

“Seasons Playing Cards, LTD does not claim ownership of any materials you provide to Seasons Playing Cards, LTD (including feedback and suggestions) or post, upload, input, or submit to any Website Services for review by the general public, or by the members of any public or private community (collectively "Submissions"). However, by posting, uploading, inputting, providing, or submitting your Submission, you are granting Seasons Playing Cards, LTD, its affiliated companies, and necessary sublicensees permission to use your Submission in connection with the operation of their Internet businesses (including, without limitation, all Seasons Playing Cards, LTD services), including, without limitation, the license rights to: copy, distribute, transmit, publicly display, publicly perform, reproduce, edit, translate, and reformat your Submission; to publish your name in connection with your Submission; and to sublicense such rights to any supplier of the Website Services.”

IMG_0355.png

https://web.archive.org/web/20230403060 ... rms-of-use
Hunting Karl Gerich and Elaine Lewis

My collection and tradelist: http://gandalfpc.great-site.net
hsbc

Unread post by hsbc »

In the US collections of data (like a phone book) are not copyrightable
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
hsbc

Unread post by hsbc »

P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
bdawg923
White Whale: bdawg x 923

Unread post by bdawg923 »

Sorry if I missed this in the post, but what does Search look through? For example I search "Stockholm 17" and get 0 hits. I see an ellusionist deck recently added. If I search "Ellusionist" I get 0 hits. If I open an ellusionist deck and click the Ellusionist name/link then it shows 7 results.

Also is there a way to submit corrections? Like, https://deckcollect.com/deck/35c444ff-b ... be2e608d36 Animal Kingdom shows Companies are Theory 11, Ellusionist. Afaik it's only t11. Is only the person who added the entry the one who is able to make changes to the deck?

Lastly, is there a way to make the searches have easy to read urls? Like, instead of https://deckcollect.com/search?q=&a=8cd ... 35e5b839c0 could it say something like search?q=&a=thirdway+industries. This way it's easy to tell what that search is for. If I click a tag like Thirdway industries, it doesn't put Thirdway industries into the search box on the search page, or anywhere on the page for the matter. So if I share the link, it doesn't tell the person what was searched for anywhere (edit: nvm I see where it does. it is in the filters section but it's not shown unless I expand the filters). Also would allow people to quickly do new searches using the url. Not sure if that's useful but probably a bit more useful than the unique search IDs there are now. Like if I searched thirdway, I can then add +uspcc in the url at the end to filter down only his uspcc decks search?q=&a=thirdway+industries+uspcc

(if you need more testers I'd be happy to help)
This comment has been mod-approved since you are able to see it.
hsbc

Unread post by hsbc »

bdawg923 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:05 pm Sorry if I missed this in the post, but what does Search look through? For example I search "Stockholm 17" and get 0 hits. I see an ellusionist deck recently added. If I search "Ellusionist" I get 0 hits. If I open an ellusionist deck and click the Ellusionist name/link then it shows 7 results.
Yes I've been meaning to post the same thing! Search only seems to look for titles
bdawg923 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:05 pm Also is there a way to submit corrections? Like, https://deckcollect.com/deck/35c444ff-b ... be2e608d36 Animal Kingdom shows Companies are Theory 11, Ellusionist. Afaik it's only t11. Is only the person who added the entry the one who is able to make changes to the deck?
Fixed :ugthink:
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
bdawg923

hsbc wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:28 pm
bdawg923 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:05 pm Sorry if I missed this in the post, but what does Search look through? For example I search "Stockholm 17" and get 0 hits. I see an ellusionist deck recently added. If I search "Ellusionist" I get 0 hits. If I open an ellusionist deck and click the Ellusionist name/link then it shows 7 results.
Yes I've been meaning to post the same thing! Search only seems to look for titles
bdawg923 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:05 pm Also is there a way to submit corrections? Like, https://deckcollect.com/deck/35c444ff-b ... be2e608d36 Animal Kingdom shows Companies are Theory 11, Ellusionist. Afaik it's only t11. Is only the person who added the entry the one who is able to make changes to the deck?
Fixed :ugthink:
Lol thanks but the question still remains. If there's some incorrect info on a deck page, how do we go about fixing it?
kevork
White Whale: NPCCD 17 Amethyst + Prototypes
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by kevork »

With mod privileges, I fixed some incorrect information from another collector's submission. Maybe there can be a backlog of requested submissions that mods can see on the website and process as a collective?
Image@playingcardophile
Invisible ink. Who woulda thunk it?
[BUY] Complete Lotrek Collection
[BUY] NPCCD Decks
max
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by max »

Before the platform continues to grow, I would like to mention something. I provided Manu with all the information I had managed to gather from PF52 before its disappearance. I'm talking about nearly 25,000 decks and around 12,000 images. I know he is trying to find a way to integrate them into Deck Collector.

I also know that there are other users who gathered different information (I'm missing many images as I only have about 6,000 decks' worth), but there may be someone who can supplement what I have provided.

It would be a shame to waste so much work from so many years with an opportunity like this. I mention this because I know there are already involved individuals who could be inputting information that we already possess.
manu

Unread post by manu »

bdawg923 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:05 pm Sorry if I missed this in the post, but what does Search look through?
Yes the text search only searches titles (I may add a checkbox to have it search descriptions as well). Having filters for specific fields like company, artist, etc. is a lot more powerful than just a simple text search. I remember it being difficult to get accurate results on P52 for this reason (for example, searching "Theory 11" and getting random decks that just happen to have "theory" somewhere in one of the fields).

As you noticed, you can see which filters are applied in the filters section, and there is a green dot next to the Filters button whenever any filters are active. Perhaps the whole filters section could be expanded, but that might get unwieldy.

I'm not sure I understand why you would want to perform searches via the URL, instead of the UI?
bdawg923 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:05 pm Also is there a way to submit corrections?
kevork wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:01 pm Maybe there can be a backlog of requested submissions that mods can see on the website and process as a collective?
Yep, this is the plan. Anyone will be able to submit new decks or edits, which will need to be approved by a Mod.
max wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:23 am I provided Manu with all the information I had managed to gather from PF52 before its disappearance. I know he is trying to find a way to integrate them into Deck Collector.
I mention this because I know there are already involved individuals who could be inputting information that we already possess.
I know several people have scraped backups of the data from P52. Although it would be a great way to jumpstart the database, it's not 100% confirmed yet. I am looking into it and making sure I do my due diligence first. In the meantime, it can't hurt to continue adding decks manually.

Thanks for everyone's feedback and patience as I work to get this project off the ground.
bdawg923

I feel like search should be universal no? If I don't know the name of a deck but I know it's made by Stockholm 17 and printed by USPCC then my first thought would be to search, not to filter. Filter is usually done after a search in my head at least. I do see the issue with having accurate results like p52 didn't always, but if I'm searching for a deck, it's probably because I don't know the name of it. Search should at least cover the deck name, designer and possibly the printer but I guess that's debatable.

Also I see that I conflated search and filter before. The searches do show the url as like search?q=mysearch and the filters have the long random string. So forget what I said there.
hsbc

Unread post by hsbc »

manu wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:49 am Yes the text search only searches titles (I may add a checkbox to have it search descriptions as well). Having filters for specific fields like company, artist, etc. is a lot more powerful than just a simple text search.
Agreed -- but right now if I search for "theory" I get no results. Maybe only add producers and artists to the global search?

There's also no easy way to view a list of producers, printers, anything like that

Would it be too much to ask to be able to edit tags? Requests:

Bicycle > Bicycle-branded
Typographical > Typography-themed
Theory 11 > theory11
Aviation > Aviation-themed
Vitaly Sinkevich > Vitaly Sinkevich [Виталий Синкевич]
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
shaneriley

Timmargh wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:13 am

I've posted a JSON archive of what data I could scrape from the deck detail pages that were archived.

https://archive.org/details/portfolio52_archive

I wasn't sure about uploading the images, since each user granted P52 with a license to use them and I'm not affiliated with P52.
shaneriley

manu wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:49 am
I know several people have scraped backups of the data from P52. Although it would be a great way to jumpstart the database, it's not 100% confirmed yet. I am looking into it and making sure I do my due diligence first. In the meantime, it can't hurt to continue adding decks manually.
If creating a data migration prior to importing is an issue, I could probably write a Puppeteer script to automate adding the archived decks through the normal web interface. Provided I am given beta access, of course.
GandalfPC

From chatGPT4 - I tried to wrangle a fair use answer out of it:

Given the archival, educational, and reference purposes of the site, with no commercial transactions (like selling decks) taking place, your project aligns well with several key aspects often considered under fair use. However, the application of fair use varies by jurisdiction and specific circumstances, so it's not a blanket exemption but a defense that must be argued if challenged. Here's how these purposes may support a fair use defense and steps you might consider:

### Archival and Educational Use

- **Non-commercial Nature**: The non-commercial nature of your site strengthens the argument for fair use, especially if the site's primary purpose is educational or for scholarly research.
- **Public Benefit**: Projects that offer significant benefits for public knowledge, education, or research typically have a stronger case for fair use.

### Reference Use

- **Limited Portion**: If the site uses only the necessary amount of the copyrighted work to achieve its purpose (such as images or descriptions), especially if it does not serve as a substitute for the original work, this can support a fair use claim.
- **Transformational Use**: If the way the information is presented or organized adds new expression, meaning, or message, it might be considered "transformational," which is a factor favoring fair use.

### Steps to Enhance Fair Use Position

1. **Document Purpose and Use**: Clearly document the educational, archival, and reference purposes of your project. This documentation can be useful if you ever need to defend your use as fair.

2. **Attribution**: Where possible, give credit to the creators of the original works. This not only is a good practice ethically but can also support your fair use argument by acknowledging the original sources.

3. **Use Disclaimers**: Include disclaimers on your site about the intent to use materials for educational, non-commercial purposes and your willingness to comply with copyright holders' requests to remove material if necessary.

4. **Implement a Takedown Procedure**: Have a clear and efficient process for responding to copyright holders' requests to remove copyrighted material from your site. This is part of complying with copyright law norms, such as the DMCA in the United States.

5. **Seek Permissions**: While fair use might apply, it's always safer to seek permission where possible, especially for content that might be more central or significant to your archive.

6. **Consult Legal Advice**: Considering the nuances and legal complexities surrounding copyright and fair use, consulting with a copyright lawyer can provide clarity and help ensure that your project operates within legal boundaries.

Remember, while your intentions and the site's purpose significantly align with principles that copyright law aims to protect (such as education and research), fair use is context-specific. Legal advice tailored to your situation is invaluable for navigating these waters with confidence.

GandalfPC

Regarding copyright - I consider 0 chance anyone will claim copyright over their personal contribution of deck images or descriptions, but technically even an amazon review is copyrighted.

regarding fair use, transformation helps, and with the P52 collection sort being broken for years and the new site having more features and being maintained:

Improving functionality, user experience, and the ability to sort and manage collections in a way that was not possible on the old site (Portfolio52.com) adds a new layer of utility and can be considered transformational in a broad sense. This transformational aspect, where you've significantly enhanced the utility, usability, and features of the site beyond simply hosting images and descriptions, strengthens the argument for fair use by adding new expression or purpose to the original works.

### Considerations for a Transformational Use Argument:

1. **Enhanced Functionality**: Document the specific enhancements and new functionalities that your site offers compared to the original. This can include improved sorting capabilities, user interfaces, additional information or metadata for decks, community features, and any tools that aid in research or education about playing card decks.

2. **New Context or Purpose**: Emphasize how these improvements serve a new purpose or context that was not addressed by the original site. This might involve facilitating academic research, promoting historical preservation, supporting the hobbyist community, or enabling educational uses.

3. **Non-substitutive Use**: Argue that the use of copyrighted material (images and descriptions) in this enhanced context does not substitute for the original use or market. Instead, it complements it by providing additional value through organization, accessibility, and education.

### Additional Steps to Support Your Position:

- **User Education**: Inform users about the purpose of your site, emphasizing its educational, archival, and community-driven nature. This helps to set the context for your fair use argument and clarifies the intent to the broader public and potential copyright holders.

- **Feedback Mechanism**: Implement a system for feedback from copyright holders and the community. This shows a commitment to addressing concerns and adapting your practices in response to legitimate copyright considerations.

- **Legal Framework**: Review your site's terms of use and privacy policies to ensure they reflect the transformational and non-commercial use of the site. Clear policies can provide legal protection and clarity for both users and copyright holders.

- **Engage with Copyright Holders**: Where possible, reach out to copyright holders to explain your site's purpose, the transformational use of their works, and how it benefits the community. You may find that many are supportive of your project, especially if it promotes interest in their products in a non-commercial manner.

### Legal Consultation:

Given that transformational use can be a nuanced and complex argument within copyright law, consulting with a legal expert specializing in copyright and fair use is advisable. They can provide specific guidance tailored to your project, helping to ensure that your use of copyrighted materials stands on solid legal ground while respecting the rights of original creators.

bdawg923

1.PNG
1.PNG (5.38 KiB) Viewed 289 times
Prob shouldn't rely on a chatbot for legal advice
Adamthinks
Decks Owned: 500

Unread post by Adamthinks »

bdawg923 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:21 pm 1.PNG

Prob shouldn't rely on a chatbot for legal advice
Frankly they're terrible for information of any sort.
hsbc

Unread post by hsbc »

Washington Post, 1991 wrote:A basic principle of copyright law is that facts themselves cannot be copyrighted because they are not "original works of authorship." However, compilations of facts can be copyrighted, under the 1976 copyright law, if they are "selected, coordinated or arranged in such a way that the resulting work as a whole constitutes an original work of authorship."
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J