Reverie - Semi transformation playing cards

Designing a deck? Need input? Show us here!
Reveur

Reverie - Semi transformation playing cards

Unread post by Reveur »

Hello everyone, as i wrote in my introdution post, i've worked on a semi transformation deck that i woul like to show.
Could you please give me some feedback? If you want to learn more about the projet don't hesitate to ask me.
Attachments
04.jpg
7 di quadri.png
BaconWise
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Gold Arabesque
Decks Owned: 225

Re: Reverie - Semi transformation playing cards

Unread post by BaconWise »

Very clean and minimal art style - I really enjoy this so far. I am impressed with semi-transformational decks because it requires such a high level of creativity to integrate the pips into the design.

I look forward to seeing more, including the backs and tuck. Do you have an Instagram account?
"But why male models?"

Curio Playing Cards

Web: www.curioplayingcards.com
Instagram: @curio_playingcards
Facebook: Curio Playing Cards
Adamthinks
Decks Owned: 500

Unread post by Adamthinks »

These are intriguing. I'd like to see more. For that 7 of diamonds, it'd be neat if you could have it look like he had sliced something specific to form those 3 diamonds on the bottom. Like maybe three bamboo stalks.
Reveur

Unread post by Reveur »

Thank you very much for your kinds comments,
This are the references I used for the samurai playing card.
I woul like to create an instagram page dedicated to the projet but I'm still deciding the name. I'm quit oriented on "Reverie", a french word to describe a sort of daydream state of mind, the ability to imagine things where they are not,
I thought this is something then describe quite well the transformation cards creativity process.
Untitled-1.jpg
poker size-27.jpg
I will post soon new cards
Reveur

Unread post by Reveur »

Here you two more card from my project.

six of clubs - faun with leaf crown

then of heart - woman with ruff
03.jpg
05.jpg
Harvonsgard
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

Very nice work already. Reminds me of the 5th Kingdom decks. I feel like the grey space is a tad too big though and the artwork could be a tad more dominant.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
Reveur

Unread post by Reveur »

Thank you for your feedback,
I gave a look to the 5th kingdom deck, I found it really beautiful and i can see some similarities, especially in the flat colours style and in some card in particular (I've made a peacock too) I don't know if it will be necessary to change it now that I saw it, what do you think?
Waiting for your answer here you are 2 new cards
Attachments
11.jpg
asso di cuori.jpg
kevork
White Whale: NPCCD 17 Amethyst + Prototypes
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by kevork »

You're doing a great job with the minimal style. On many cards, I'd want to see less blank space, but it seems to work for this deck thus far. So creative.
Image@playingcardophile
Invisible ink. Who woulda thunk it?
[BUY] Complete Lotrek Collection
[BUY] NPCCD Decks
Kage X

Unread post by Kage X »

I love everything I've seen so far, especially the 7D
Eric Lee
White Whale: Korchma Taras Bulba

Unread post by Eric Lee »

As others have said, there's lots of white and grey spaces, but it seems to fit the cards as you show us more of the cards. I believe that's because you started with the 7oD first and it filled so much of the card space compared to the rest, that we have to adjust our expectations.

Loving what you've shown so far and can't wait to see the rest.
thekeycardcompany
Magician: Yes

Unread post by thekeycardcompany »

Love the clean design and all. Can't wait to see the whole deck
THE KEY CARD PLAYING CARDS COMPANY
www.keycardpcc.com

Deck prototyping, Printing & Marketing discount for UC members
viewtopic.php?f=81&t=21320
Harvonsgard
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

Reveur wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:25 pmI don't know if it will be necessary to change it now that I saw it, what do you think?
No. It's all good. There're enough differences.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by rousselle »

You asked for feedback. Here's mine:

It takes a lot to draw me into transformation and semi-transformation decks. It took a while for Emmanuel Jose to grow on me. The Pipmen series also managed to sneak past my guard and culminated in the Pipmen World, which is one of the most gonzo decks of all time. I enjoy the restoration decks that Will Roya & PlayingCardDecks have been doing, but that's more because of the classic nature of them all. I've picked up a few others here and there, but not many, and usually because they aspired to those heights. (If you haven't taken a look at Emmanuel Jose's decks and Pipmen World, you really should.)

What you have here? Oh, yeah. It's the cleverness of the placement of the pips -- clever, yet so very clear. Nothing muddled about them, nothing that makes you say, "Well, this could be counted as this many, but I guess I can see why it's counted that many." All unambiguous. If you covered up the numbers in the indexes, one could still figure out what the card is.

It's "minimal" without being barren or lazy. In fact, it's exciting. It pops off the page. The Ace of Hearts? Chef's kiss. The four of clubs? So playful, so... sticky. The ten of hearts is exquisitely regal and... uncompromising.

You use contrast and your strict color palette to amazing effect.

I'm sure you'll continue tweaking your approach with the excellent feedback you receive here, but stay true to your vision.

I'm all in for this deck.

When you are satisfied with the design and it's time to produce, put these on good cards. If you go with MPC, favor their top-of-the-line stock and finish. Cartamundi and USPCC and WJPCC and EPCC/LPCC, ask designers/producers on the forums here what they use to get the best results, because when those manufacturers are playing at the top of their game, your cards will absolutely sing. Crappy stock or unpleasant finish can ruin an otherwise stunning deck.

So, yeah. Reach out when you're ready for that stage. Excellent illustration and design like this is worthy of an excellent canvas.
This space intentionally left blank.
Reveur

Unread post by Reveur »

Thank you really much for your feedback, it touched me a lot that you spend your time to write it and you can't imagine how this inspire me to go on on this project.
I went to see all this transformation card you mentioned, it's intruiging to see how many were made, there are so many clever ideas and beautiful exections, and many of them, as i can see, have a theme, so i was questioning about the fact that mine project hasn't a theme, but i was focused more on the style and composition, do you think that it's necessary to have a theme?
I don't have any experience with chosing the right manufacturer and the right type of paper and finish, so any advise will be precious, i'm searching on the forum about this specific subject to know more.
Here you are another card, two of diamond this time, the model is a famous American actress, who can recognize her?
Attachments
2 di quadri.jpg
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm glad to give you a boost. I want this deck!

So, regarding theme: not necessary at all. Emmanuel Jose's first deck, Curator, does not have a specific theme other than the style of art, and it looks to me like very much the same can be said of the deck you are currently creating.

Many artists start this way. The best story-tellers in stand-up comedy start by telling a series of small, not-really-connected stories. Then the stories in their shows get more connective tissue, and more, until each show is a series of smaller stories that combine to make a much larger story, all united with a very specific theme. Witness the careers of Mike Birbiglia, Jim Gaffigan, and others. Many of the greatest "concept albums" in the history of rock music were made by bands that have become famous for their themed albums, but like most bands, they started with albums that featured songs whose only common thread was the style of the band. Consider the Beatles, Pink Floyd, and so many others.

Dive in and play! Explore! Make each card it's own special gift. Don't pressure yourself to live up to other's work; do what sings to you.

If you enjoy the process and the learning that comes with it, and if you find your audience (hint: you will), you'll eventually explore deeper. Your art will get even richer and you'll develop your own language. If, in time, that includes embracing themes like Emmanuel Jose eventually did, or the Pipmen series, or Gio or Lorenzo or Jackson Robinson or others, then great! And if you don't, that's great, too! Some of the best comedians and rock stars succeed despite not swimming in themes. It's all good.

As for finding a worthy manufacturer for your cards, we'll definitely point you in the right direction here.

Oh, and by the way, this 2 of Diamonds is great. Just sayin'.
Reveur

Unread post by Reveur »

I created an instagram page to follow the evolution of the project, thank for your support
https://www.instagram.com/reverieplayingcards/
Reveur

Unread post by Reveur »

Here you are with another card a nine of spades, looking on some other transformation playing card i've discovered that I wasn't the only one to incorporate the pips in a peacock tail, so I'm asking myself if I have to replace that one... what do you think?
Attachments
9 di fiori.jpg
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

I suggest that you continue with the rest of the deck and come back to this card after those are done. An alternative may suggest itself in the meantime. FWIW.
wingedpotato
White Whale: Cardistry-Con Tally Ho 2018
Decks Owned: 600

Unread post by wingedpotato »

Yeah, every new card I see makes me love this more and more. That A-H is so well done.
"I have no response to that."

https://portfolio52.com/profile/1230
DestinationQ1
Decks Owned: 450

Unread post by DestinationQ1 »

Dude these are awesome. When do you think your able to be complete w the decks? I want them now!! Hehe. Btw, which program are you using for the background / surrounding (non card) 3d space? Nice way of presenting each cards. Keep up the good work. Please share us more of the completed cards, beautiful art work is a pleasure to see…
Reveur

Unread post by Reveur »

thank you very much for your kinds comments, I'm really very touched. I spend on this projet a lot of time alone, showing just to family and some friends so I was worried about the reactions.
I've almost finished and i will keep posting on this forum the new cards, today I will post a new one, this time is for the five of heart, a young woman with a braid.

to Destination Q1, who asked, I'm working with vray + sketchup to create the 3d background to present the cards.I'm an interior designer so these are the software that I'm used to work with.

I think it's time to reflect about the printers and to understand how to promote this project before the kickstarter... I'm a little bit afraid of this phase because I was focused on the design but I don't have many knowledge about kickstarter / printer and everything else, and i would like to avoid wrong steps.

If you have some advise it will be really helpfull.

https://www.instagram.com/reverieplayingcards/
Attachments
17.png
DestinationQ1

Oh very cool. I am an architecture designer myself. And recently got into designing cards and also launched on KS. Here is my LIVE current campaign. http://kck.st/3hGf2wZ
Kickstarter is such a great platform to do such projects. Great experience running it as well. There are so many stuff I have learn from my first campaign. One advice I would give is to just keep it simple. And aim low if this will be your very first campaign unless you have a huge fan base.
Are your art files in vector format? Know which card company you would like to go with? Will you be the person doing fulfillment? A lot of categories to tackle but it’s a very exciting process.
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sent you a PM. :)
manu

Unread post by manu »

Just found this, I'm really into the style! Have there been any new developments with the project?
GandalfPC
White Whale: Ambergris
Decks Owned: 1700

Unread post by GandalfPC »

New updates are coming though on instagram here: https://www.instagram.com/reverieplayingcards/
Hunting Karl Gerich and Elaine Lewis

My collection and tradelist: http://gandalfpc.great-site.net
DestinationQ1

Link. Not a working.
Shade
White Whale: Grotesk silver bronze
Decks Owned: 4159

Unread post by Shade »

kevork wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:33 pm You're doing a great job with the minimal style. On many cards, I'd want to see less blank space, but it seems to work for this deck thus far. So creative.
I agree there is a lot of white/grey space, but if you changed it then you will lose the perspective your after in each image. Example I went back and forth with in my mind are the frog and Lady's ruffle. You could expand the image and pips into filling the space, but then you lose the elegance of the small frog climbing the wall, and for the lady most of her face. What you have works.

I like it! This is really good, can't wait for the rest.
Better to Burn Out than Fade Away...
CallOn84

Unread post by CallOn84 »

kevork wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:33 pm You're doing a great job with the minimal style. On many cards, I'd want to see less blank space, but it seems to work for this deck thus far. So creative.
I second this, there's just a bit too much negative space for my liking. Overall, it does look great!
Inspired by the stories, art, and world around us.

We're days away from releasing our Kickstarter campaign for the Tragoedia Macbethi Playing Cards! To be notified of its release, head over to https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ar ... ying-cards and click the "Notify me on launch" button.

Sign up for our newsletter for updates to receive behind-the-scenes peeks, updates, giveaways, and upcoming Kickstarter campaigns: https://mailchi.mp/64614e54639d/artisanaldeckco
Honeybee
White Whale: Blk prototype Aviator Heritage
Decks Owned: 200

Unread post by Honeybee »

Shade wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:51 pm
I agree there is a lot of white/grey space, but if you changed it then you will lose the perspective your after in each image. Example I went back and forth with in my mind are the frog and Lady's ruffle. You could expand the image and pips into filling the space, but then you lose the elegance of the small frog climbing the wall, and for the lady most of her face. What you have works.

I like it! This is really good, can't wait for the rest.
Totally agree - What you have works
I hope this is still coming
What are you thinking of for the card back?
KoD - my initials, no wonder I grew up a lover of playing cards
Avatar - Honeybee (No.15+17) Tuck pic by Randy Butterfield for PM
kevork
White Whale: NPCCD 17 Amethyst + Prototypes

Unread post by kevork »

Any updates on this deck? Love to see this in collector's hands.
Image@playingcardophile
Invisible ink. Who woulda thunk it?
[BUY] Complete Lotrek Collection
[BUY] NPCCD Decks