The Goldsmith by Kevin Cantrell (Cantrell A Priori 001) with TGW

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
Swiski66
Collector: Yes
White Whale: Playing Arts Special Edition
Decks Owned: 200

Re: The Goldsmith by Kevin Cantrell (Cantrell A Priori) with TGW

Unread post by Swiski66 »

TheGentlemanWake wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 6:28 am New coin. I think a marked improvement.
Looking good! The combination of gloss and brushed finishes really take the coin up a notch!
Harvonsgard
Cardist: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

I love rosé and pink-ish hues but the copper finish doesn't suit my taste here. I guess with copper in the name I expect more orange-ish/brownish hues. Like the old LeChat Rouge coin from Lorenzo for example.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
GandalfPC
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Ambergris
Decks Owned: 1700

Unread post by GandalfPC »

It is a big improvement over the all shiny one - still on the fence myself, seems I am reaching the age of second childhood as I just discovered slingshots and blew the weeks budget on a few fancy ones from around the globe…
Hunting Karl Gerich and Elaine Lewis

My collection and tradelist: http://gandalfpc.great-site.net
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

My big issue with copper is that it tarnishes easily. I have a ton of copper coins. You can protect them from tarnish, but it is an effort. I would prefer a metal that is less prone to tarnish if you go for a highly polished proof style coin (which looks awesome).
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
Harvonsgard

It's copper finish. I'd guess the amount of actual copper is pretty slim.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
TheGentlemanWake
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by TheGentlemanWake »

Harvonsgard wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 12:28 pm It's copper finish. I'd guess the amount of actual copper is pretty slim.
yes, not an issue. My copper plated coins from the manufacturer are like new.
For the best in playing cards related content:

https://www.wake.video/youtube
Bradius

Unread post by Bradius »

Copper plated coins still have a tarnish issue unless it is a copper alloy that doesn't tarnish. Either way, the coin looks nice. shame you didn't go for solid copper. While copper is expensive not, it isn't THAT expensive.
TheGentlemanWake
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

New coin samples arrived. Love them.
Attachments
EA2994BE-16A4-4349-AB50-F082A500FA47.jpeg
087885FA-5439-493A-AAA0-7582F33023EC.jpeg
E6F0AB86-2C58-4042-8350-6396ECBDC4F7.jpeg

Harvonsgard

Bradius wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:11 pm Copper plated coins still ...
Agreed but the point I was trying to convey is that a finish doesn't have to contain any copper at all. Atleast that is the level of suspicion I put on ad copy.
Bradius wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:11 pmWhile copper is expensive not, it isn't THAT expensive.
As a former numismatic that is a thought that in a similar fashion crossed my mind quite often. I'd love to have real copper, silver and gold coins in sets but I know that the demand for such high price items is way too low and the costs would make the MRSP go up expotentionally and people aren't happy with the pricing already, lol.

shkorc

Unread post by shkorc »

It's been asked and successfully ignored a few times, but hey, I'm an optimist lol

Omar, is there any chance of you organizing EU friendly fulfilment?

Since you aren't hit by KS costs with the pre-order model, maybe some of that could be used to organise it?

Your first reservation, if I remember correctly, was to keep things simple. But like you also said, it's a simple project and only 1000 items made, this shouldn't be a logistics nightmare?

I'm positive the orders placed will go up if you make it happen :)

Cheers
Honeybee
White Whale: Blk prototype Aviator Heritage

Unread post by Honeybee »

TheGentlemanWake wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:06 pm Best way to keep up with the releases currently is to follow me on instagram/facebook/youtube.

https://www.instagram.com/thegentlemanwake/
https://www.facebook.com/TheGentlemanWake
https://www.youtube.com/theGentlemanWake
Regarding the youtube link - there is nothing there under a year old. Are your reviews now a thing of the past? :cry:
KoD - my initials, no wonder I grew up a lover of playing cards
Avatar - Honeybee (No.15+17) Tuck pic by Randy Butterfield for PM
shkorc

Unread post by shkorc »

shkorc wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:38 am It's been asked and successfully ignored a few times, but hey, I'm an optimist lol

Since you aren't hit by KS costs with the pre-order model, maybe some of that could be used to organise it?

Your first reservation, if I remember correctly, was to keep things simple. But like you also said, it's a simple project and only 1000 items made, this shouldn't be a logistics nightmare?

Cheers
Optimism saddly missplaced lol

Guess I'll say thank you for saving me 600 Euros :ugking:
TheGentlemanWake
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

shkorc wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:53 am
shkorc wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:38 am It's been asked and successfully ignored a few times, but hey, I'm an optimist lol

Cheers
Optimism saddly missplaced lol

Guess I'll say thank you for saving me 600 Euros :ugking:
Hi, this slipped through the cracks for me. Hmmm. I hadn't considered split fulfillment because I thought the volume would not be enough. Meaning 200 units sold in EU would not warrant the added costs of shipping to a second fulfillment center. What I can say is that usually Gambler's can provide low declaration amounts.

TheGentlemanWake
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Honeybee wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:46 am
TheGentlemanWake wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:06 pm Best way to keep up with the releases currently is to follow me on instagram/facebook/youtube.

Regarding the youtube link - there is nothing there under a year old. Are your reviews now a thing of the past? :cry:
I have been OVERWHELMMED with work in the last year with work (on top of daily responsibilities theres the prodution of 5-6 decks). On top of moving from Florida to South Carolina. I still don't rightfully have a home studio setup for shooting although I may just start making videos again with no regard for the quality of the shooting space. Part of my hesitancy in posting videos has been birthed from the expectation that audiences have for my content. Ive always prided myself in offering the highest quality more professional videos. And I wondered if viewers would be turned off by anything less. Although, admittedly, I haven't given my audience the chance to prove me wrong.

shkorc

Unread post by shkorc »

TheGentlemanWake wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:30 pm
Hi, this slipped through the cracks for me. Hmmm. I hadn't considered split fulfillment because I thought the volume would not be enough. Meaning 200 units sold in EU would not warrant the added costs of shipping to a second fulfillment center. What I can say is that usually Gambler's can provide low declaration amounts.
No worries, thanks for the response.

Since the production for the majority of items is in EU are the added cost of shipping still so prohibitive?

200 extra units would almost double the current number of ordered.

Low declarations do not fool customs and they request proof of item and shipping costs for each foreign package, unfortunately.
Fenrir
White Whale: No 17 Crown
Decks Owned: 475

Unread post by Fenrir »

Omar, will pricing be changing anytime soon or is it staying discounted due to the sales volume? Also, will the initial quantity be reduced from 1,000 sets?
TheGentlemanWake
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

1000 edition size is set in stone. Discount runs out June 23rd. 30 days.

Honeybee

TheGentlemanWake wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:33 pm
Honeybee wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:46 am

I have been OVERWHELMMED with work in the last year with work (on top of daily responsibilities theres the prodution of 5-6 decks). On top of moving from Florida to South Carolina. I still don't rightfully have a home studio setup for shooting although I may just start making videos again with no regard for the quality of the shooting space. Part of my hesitancy in posting videos has been birthed from the expectation that audiences have for my content. Ive always prided myself in offering the highest quality more professional videos. And I wondered if viewers would be turned off by anything less. Although, admittedly, I haven't given my audience the chance to prove me wrong.
Thanks for the response TGW. I see your dilemma now - you have always produced quality. Can you continue to do so while making compromises - I think so. You are the essence of the reviews so I think you should have a crack. Test the result on some respected friends. I know that I have bought decks due to your reviews so IMO their absence is a significant negative for the industry :!:
redux

Unread post by redux »

shkorc wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:55 pm
TheGentlemanWake wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:30 pm
No worries, thanks for the response.

Since the production for the majority of items is in EU are the added cost of shipping still so prohibitive?

200 extra units would almost double the current number of ordered.

Low declarations do not fool customs and they request proof of item and shipping costs for each foreign package, unfortunately.
Exactly! No matter the value that is written on the package, everything coming from outside of EU must be declared (if not VAT was paid, hence IOSS number is not evident). And there's no way to know what value has been put on the packing slip, so I won't start making up figures from my head when I declare packages. ;)
TheGentlemanWake
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

An update for customers and future customers:

The Goldsmith production is currently delayed. Cartamundi are experiencing issues with production/planning. They've been a bit vague about the issues. Not sure what could be causing the problems on their end. Just as an example, I placed the order for Beetlebacks Prototypes in MAY (a substantial time prior to launching the Goldsmith pre-order) and those decks have not been produced. In fact I'm being told the small order (only 50 decks) will not potentially be ready until October. This is also affecting the Villa Beluno CAP 002 launch. I will advise when I know more! Just be assured the decks are coming!

Bradius

Re: The Goldsmith by Kevin Cantrell (Cantrell A Priori 001) with TGW

Unread post by Bradius »

Cartamundi does great work, but the downside is above. Thanks for the update. Hang in there.
Disenchanted_11

Unread post by Disenchanted_11 »

TheGentlemanWake wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:48 pm An update for customers and future customers:

The Goldsmith production is currently delayed. Cartamundi are experiencing issues with production/planning. They've been a bit vague about the issues. Not sure what could be causing the problems on their end. Just as an example, I placed the order for Beetlebacks Prototypes in MAY (a substantial time prior to launching the Goldsmith pre-order) and those decks have not been produced. In fact I'm being told the small order (only 50 decks) will not potentially be ready until October. This is also affecting the Villa Beluno CAP 002 launch. I will advise when I know more! Just be assured the decks are coming!
Okay, I know busy times for you guys, but don't forget to make decisions and updates about the future of Goldsmith 😊 With all your reservations on Groundskeeper pushing through with Cartamundi, does it apply to Goldsmith as well? I understand it's more complicated if the order is already placed, but there has to be some exit clause on that in light of the recent situations.
Drewser

Unread post by Drewser »

TheGentlemanWake wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 12:45 pm AND ONE MORE THING, I've never backed a Charmie project. So I can't speak to the quality of their decks, but I would wager that Cartamundi decks cost more to produce than WJPCC decks do. Probably by a considerable margin. So this isn't an apples to ....

This contradicts all the things you've said about WJPCC not being much cheaper. Rational people have already known that the transition of top designers like S17, TWI, etc. to WJPCC is due to lower production costs. Unfortunately, the 'considerable margin' savings isn't being passed on to the customer. Now collectors are buying an inferior product for the same price as they would be with Cartamundi or USPCC. IMO this is a 'dark days to come' decision for creators that will hurt the community and it's only motivated by greed.
Adamthinks
Decks Owned: 500

Unread post by Adamthinks »

Drewser wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:38 am
TheGentlemanWake wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 12:45 pm AND ONE MORE THING, I've never backed a Charmie project. So I can't speak to the quality of their decks, but I would wager that Cartamundi decks cost more to produce than WJPCC decks do. Probably by a considerable margin. So this isn't an apples to ....

This contradicts all the things you've said about WJPCC not being much cheaper. Rational people have already known that the transition of top designers like S17, TWI, etc. to WJPCC is due to lower production costs. Unfortunately, the 'considerable margin' savings isn't being passed on to the customer. Now collectors are buying an inferior product for the same price as they would be with Cartamundi or USPCC. IMO this is a 'dark days to come' decision for creators that will hurt the community and it's only motivated by greed.
You're baking a lot of baseless assumptions here. "Rational people have already known that top degigners are using WJOC because of lower production costs"? Come one man, that's kind of ridiculous. It's not an inferior product. I can only guess you haven't handled a recent WJPC deck. They've gotten dramatically better over the last couple years. Two of my favorite decks from the past year were printed by them. At the quality they are printing at now, I'd put them overall on par with anyone else out there.
Strag
White Whale: None
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Strag »

Drewser wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:38 am

Wow, just wow. Tell you what, you think it's so profitable and so easy to make "considerable margin" on a playing card project I encourage you to produce your own. I have run the numbers myself and seen numbers from quite a few producers and I can tell you that there just isn't much money in it. Remember that the production cost of the manufacturer is only one part of the cost of selling playing cards. Maybe just tone it down a bit eh?
Disenchanted_11

Re: The Goldsmith by Kevin Cantrell (Cantrell A Priori 001) with TGW

I'm real curious on whose producer numbers you ran. My impression with producing cards is that decks can cost extremely low when massed produced. When we're talking limited/luxury we know it just isn't the case. But still, if you are a patreon producer who people gives you considerable money every month, not buying, no strings attached; I think you're doing pretty well.

But in situations like Goldsmith, a preorder, and it haven't gone in a lot of ways we all would've wanted. If the margins were tight before, I'm sure it's tighter now. But please let's get them printed, shall we?
Harvonsgard

Drewser wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:38 am Now collectors are buying an inferior product for the same price as they would be with Cartamundi or USPCC. IMO this is a 'dark days to come' decision for creators that will hurt the community and it's only motivated by greed.
Lel, what? Inferior product? I guess I have to give a lot of credit to Cartamundi for making a lot of people think they're the holy grail when it comes to deck quality. Just because they were the ones who made cold foil popular in the card community a couple of years ago? Or because they have a nice slip out of the box?
To read that e.g. Lorenzo or Omar is motivated by greed is bonkers imho. It's not too hard to understand that WJPC is offering a great package for creators and from all the decks I have from them I can say with confidence for us as well. Gambling Frog is awesome and so is the nice oddety of 17th Kingdom.

I for my part will buy the Corrupted deck from TGW without hesitation if Omar decides to go with WJPC. TGW always printing with Cartamundi in the past is one of the main reasons I don't have any of his decks in my collection as of today.
Disenchanted_11 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:43 pm I'm real curious on whose producer numbers you ran. My impression with producing cards is that decks can cost extremely low when massed produced.
Exactly, emphasis on when mass produced. TGW is not Ellusionist or TXI though.

Disenchanted_11

Harvonsgard wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:59 pm TGW is not Ellusionist or TXI though.
That's what I implied on the quote you truncated, thanks lol.
Honeybee

Strag wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:25 pm Wow, just wow. Tell you what, you think it's so profitable and so easy to make "considerable margin" on a playing card project I encourage you to produce your own. I have run the numbers myself and seen numbers from quite a few producers and I can tell you that there just isn't much money in it. Remember that the production cost of the manufacturer is only one part of the cost of selling playing cards. Maybe just tone it down a bit eh?
Yep, you definitely would not need your toes to count how many producers are making money out of playing cards. Just a couple of months ago the wonderful Jonathon of Meadowlark told me his next deck could be his last. Although it has been a passion project for him, he said that it has been stressful, time consuming and that he loses too much money doing it. This from a man who has been killing it.
laitostarr777
Magician: Yes
White Whale: 2019 NPCCD - KWP decks

Unread post by laitostarr777 »

Honeybee wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:01 pm Yep, you definitely would not need your toes to count how many producers are making money out of playing cards. Just a couple of months ago the wonderful Jonathon of Meadowlark told me his next deck could be his last. Although it has been a passion project for him, he said that it has been stressful, time consuming and that he loses too much money doing it. This from a man who has been killing it.
Oh darn... he quits after the Space theme.. sad... the decks he had been producing are all good, but I respect his decision. After all, he has an actual pharmacy business to attend to mainly
Drewser wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:38 am This contradicts all the things you've said about WJPCC not being much cheaper. Rational people have already known that the transition of top designers like S17, TWI, etc. to WJPCC is due to lower production costs. Unfortunately, the 'considerable margin' savings isn't being passed on to the customer. Now collectors are buying an inferior product for the same price as they would be with Cartamundi or USPCC. IMO this is a 'dark days to come' decision for creators that will hurt the community and it's only motivated by greed.
WJPC being an inferior product, you say? Well, let me tell you my story:
My very first deck that comes from WJPC is Testament by Ben Green. The deck was stiffs and handles poorly. At the time, I wasn't expecting great things from that printer. But then, when these decks come out: 17th Kingdom and Notorious Gambling Frog by S17 - Midas and Monolith Zodiac by TWI - TaiPESTRY by Velata, and when I have them on my hands - I am amazed at the quality now. So you see, WJPC HAS IMPROVED to the point that present creators are considering them as options. If TGW HAS to make a printer change because he can't wait any longer for Cartamundi, then WJPC can be a good option.
So, do yourself a favor, and get any decks printed by WJPC recently and handle them yourself. Hopefully that will make you take back your words...
A furry who has a sona of a magician ;3
My collection - https://www.portfolio52.com/profile/16212/collection
Instagram - @laitostarr777