[Happyakrz] My Current Collection

Members are welcome and encouraged to "Show Their Cards" here. Don't be bashful!
Forum rules
  1. Make a new thread. Be sure to put your username in square brackets [] at the beginning of the title.

2. Write a small (or big, if you want) introduction about you, your collection and your collecting habits.

3. Post as many pictures of your decks as you want in your thread, with or without descriptions.
    (But please refrain from posting pictures of your collection in someone else's thread.)

4. Have fun with it, be creative, and check out other users' threads as well :)

Happyakrz
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Crypt by Lotrek
Decks Owned: 275

[Happyakrz] My Current Collection

Unread post by Happyakrz »

Hello Everyone!

About three months ago, I had gotten so infatuated with watching videos of magicians and cardists that I decided to go ahead and start purchasing a couple of nice decks with which I could start to learn some fun flourishes, cuts, etc., but I didn't jump on the decision right away.

Around the same time, my daughter was home from college with her roommate, and we all wanted to play a card game, but I searched high and low and couldn't find a single complete deck in the house. I was frustrated and embarrassed, and while we ended up having a great night of Euchre with a cobbled deck -- a real Frankenstein's Deck -- it made up my mind to start buying some cards immediately.

I followed a facebook link to the Theory11.com website shortly thereafter, and made my first purchases. Since then, I've pretty much been on the lookout for our postal carrier every day with lots of small purchases here and there. I can only imagine where this is all leading .. lol.

As a graphic designer during my professional career, I'm always on the lookout for very specific styles and design tastes. It's been really interesting reading about other collectors' tastes here on UC -- it's so awesome how we all have our unique interests, and the world of playing cards can satisfy us all. Personally, I'm a big fan of clean and elegant design, but when it comes down to the particulars, I have some rather pointed interests:
  • I'm not a big fan of the standard courts of the big design/production houses -- for some reason, the typical face cards have always bothered me with their rather stoic and geometrical Js, Qs, and Ks.
  • I generally prefer line art to fully illustrated face cards -- not sure why, but it feels like most of the fully illustrated themes take on a GoT/mystical feel.
  • I really love when designers play with subtle colors and transitions that aren't common -- as an example, the black suits of the LTD decks -- instead of black, they're a deep silver/grey -- another example are the standard courts of the Abandoned Deck with the unique metallic blues, burgundies, and golds -- yet another example, Absinthe v1 .. the greens, oh the greens!
  • If the font is awful, I tend to hate the deck -- so sad, but true.
  • I love intricacy, only if it has a strong sense of balance and composition -- clutter for clutter's sake is not for me. I think this is why I like the Theory11 decks so much -- their designers really have a grasp of busy design that adds to the whole effect.
With that said, here are a few shots of my current collection:

The Break Down
My first batch of Theory11s ...

A smattering of independent designers and isolated brands ...

A very lucky purchase on ebay for my favorite Thirdway Industries series ...

Another purchase on ebay .. all Ellusionists this time ...

And finally, a handful of Bicycle decks that have caught my eye here and there ...

My Favorites
So far, with the few flourishes and cuts and sleight-of-hands that I've learned, I'm definitely growing an appreciation for high-quality cards. I didn't think that I'd be able to tell the difference between finishes and stock so quickly, but it can be really obvious when you get a great deck in your hands.

At present, my favorite decks to practice with are the following:

1. Abandoned - by Dynamo
2. Citizens - by Theory11
3. Artisans (black or white) - by Theory11
4. White Regalias - by Shin Lim
5. Aether - by Riffle Shuffle

I'm looking forward to adding more in the future, and will keep perusing all of your collections to get inspired toward other designers/developers. Thanks so much to all of you who have shared your collections so far.

If any of you want to see more detailed photos of the cards within the decks in my collection, please feel free to hop over to my collection webpage:

https://www.happyakrz.com/cards/happyakrz_cards.html

Please disregard the empty spots (still waiting on those decks to arrive) and my "Most Wanted" section .. that's for my wife -- Christmas and birthday suggestions! LOL
Happyakrz

Enthusiast. Boat-Rocker. Creator.
hsbc
White Whale: Grid 1 LE
Decks Owned: 1500

Re: [Happyakrz] My Current Collection

Unread post by hsbc »

Welcome and thanks for posting!! :D :D

You mention typography and graphic design, have you discovered Luke Wadey's decks yet?
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
Happyakrz
White Whale: Crypt by Lotrek
Decks Owned: 275

Unread post by Happyakrz »

hsbc wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:44 pm Welcome and thanks for posting!! :D :D

You mention typography and graphic design, have you discovered Luke Wadey's decks yet?
Just checked out Luke Wadey, and I have seen a number of his decks on the market -- very clean design work. I like it! :)
Happyakrz

Enthusiast. Boat-Rocker. Creator.
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Magician: Yes

Unread post by rousselle »

Abandoned is designed by Rick Davidson. You needs you some more Rick Davidson. Other decks of his to look for: Luxx Palme and Luxx Greille (produced by JP Games; you might find these at playingcarddecks.com or other outlets; JP appears to be out of stock), and his Origins designs (from his original Kickstarter campaigns). He has done others, but those are highlights.

The Luxx Eliptica decks by Randy Butterfield are also worth hunting down (these are also part of the series produced by JP Games.) Randy's bowling-themed decks are hilarious and well worth looking for (Cosmic Lanes, et al.)

I'm with you that Artisans and Republics are among the best of the "standard" decks out there. If you ever shop at Target, look for their Thoery 11 displays. They will occasionally have Gold Artisans, which are Artisans with a metaluxe gold back. Yummy. And, on Ellusionist's site, look for the red variation of the Republic deck. (If you can find it on ebay or some other source of older decks, Republic No. 2 is pretty sweet, as well.)

You have a Table Players deck. You may want to look for the Blue Ribbon Table Players (probably still available on the Kings Wild Project site.) Those are my favorites, so far, of the Table Players.

Welcome to the hobby!
This space intentionally left blank.
Strag
White Whale: None
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Strag »

You can find a lot of decks at Pengiun Magic including both Luxx Palme colours for $14 each. Also a few Table Players variants for $15 each which is actually $1 less than direct for KWP and Penguin has free worldwide shipping. Great site for someone just starting to collect.

https://www.penguinmagic.com/tricks/tagged/premium-deck