GOLD: The Playing Card Deck / KS

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
Decknowledgy
Collector: Yes

GOLD: The Playing Card Deck / KS

Unread post by Decknowledgy »

"We look at the present through a rear-view mirror; we walk backwards into the future."
                        -- Marshall McLuhan (Media Theory Giant)
Decknowledgy™ (Ted)
Instagram Reviews: https://www.instagram.com/decknowledgy

Portfolio 52
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Re: GOLD: The Playing Card Deck / KS

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

We've seen so many good foiled decks, it was about time someone proved that foil alone doesn't make a deck good.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
Harvonsgard
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

Exactly what Magik wrote.

Just urgh...
In Germany they say, "Es ist nicht alles Gold was glänzt" (translates "Not everything that shines is golden" - meaning that not everything that appears to be valuable/oppolent cares inherent value) sums it up pretty well.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
theCapraAegagrus

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

Dreck.
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
CollectADeck
White Whale: Anything by OathPCC
Decks Owned: 88

Unread post by CollectADeck »

Harvonsgard wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:41 am Exactly what Magik wrote.

Just urgh...
In Germany they say, "Es ist nicht alles Gold was glänzt" (translates "Not everything that shines is golden" - meaning that not everything that appears to be valuable/oppolent cares inherent value) sums it up pretty well.
For a second I thought they had unknowingly used this as their tagline on the campaign, would have died!

Honestly, this deck could be a lot worse. The pattern as least is somewhat hypnotic, but at the same time it is just so boring for a gold deck.
Harvonsgard
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

CollectADeck wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:19 amHonestly, this deck could be a lot worse.
You're far to kind to the decks out there 😅. I agree to disagree though.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
KingfisherZero

Unread post by KingfisherZero »

This design from one of the quality printers/card foilers (is that a thing?) would have been bad. From a random print shop, can't get behind this one at all...
AKA "The Card Guy"

Subscribe for deck reviews galore! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6Y-CG ... 7GFXMmULWA

IG: @TheCardGuyYT
CollectADeck
White Whale: Anything by OathPCC
Decks Owned: 88

Unread post by CollectADeck »

Harvonsgard wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:34 am
CollectADeck wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:19 amHonestly, this deck could be a lot worse.
You're far to kind to the decks out there 😅. I agree to disagree though.
Fair enough :lol: :lol:
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

Many years ago when my son was young he pointed out a rainbow ending directly above a port-a-potty, which aptly was named "Pot-O-Gold" (I can't make that up). Yeah, not everything that glitters is gold. I wish I still had that photo somewhere.

This is drek.
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
Eric Lee
White Whale: Korchma Taras Bulba

Unread post by Eric Lee »

This is a new printer doing this for the very first time. Nice to see them trying to do something ambitious for them and break into the market . Not everyone is so lucky as to have a designer like Lotrek to break new ground. :D

If this works, who knows. Everyone's gotta start somewhere right? But my funds are severely lacking. Hope it funds or gets enough exposure that creators are willing to give them a try. As long as it's not Hartsoe... I don't think I ever want to see a spot UV foil version of their decks. :?
Fes
White Whale: The Dude Deck

Unread post by Fes »

They have a few decks on Etsy. Glow: The Playing Card Deck, Puzzle Kaleidoscope Playing Card Deck and Fish of New York Art Card Deck. I haven't tried any of them nor have I picked any of those decks up. They're a print on demand company and that usually means they're pretty costly, which the prices on Etsy do seem to reinforce. I think it's great they're so proud of their work though. Certainly shows in the 14 USD price on two of the decks which don't seem to have any photos of a tuck at all. Maybe they're not too proud of the tucks? I don't know. Design wise those decks they show like this one, Gold, could use some help. The Fish deck is the most polished looking and the least expensive.

Curious if anyone has picked up or tried any of their products. If so, maybe you would care to share with us what the finish on the cards feels like? From the video on this campaign page it doesn't look like there's much of a coating on this prototype deck at all. Leads me to believe the foil will very likely peal off with repeated use and handling but that's just my instinct from experiences with similar looking foil on paper cards.
Each deck will be handmade by me (Anthony) in our SuperiorPOD print shop, and checked for perfection.
It's a handmade product apparently. Could be worth the extra couple bucks to try it out. I don't know, certainly have a few days to think about it. On art alone, yea it's a bit rough but outside of the art style it could be fun if it's the first step into something very interesting. ;)
TL:DR It's completely up to you.
We can still be friends.
I actually like playing cards.
We live in interesting times.
Fes
White Whale: The Dude Deck

Unread post by Fes »

This one is heading toward it's third unlock. A TBA something special goal. If you forgot about this solid gold shiny shine courts here's your reminder. :)

Side note. I don't think he hired a designer for his Ace of Spades. They have that "I didn't hire a designer" look to them on update 9 of the campaign. None the less, it has excitement and that's great fun!
TL:DR It's completely up to you.
We can still be friends.
I actually like playing cards.
We live in interesting times.