We are in the golden age.

Where are you from and what are your interests?
Circle & Star
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Every Oath PC decks
Decks Owned: 80

We are in the golden age.

Unread post by Circle & Star »

HELLO United Cardists!!!
"Circle & Star" is a reference to this symbol sometimes used to identify the joker card :ucstar:
I'm a Joker card collector... and playing cards as well (of course)
If you want to see my collection, you can search "circle_and_star" on instagram.
I'm not a magician, but I love magic
I'm not a (good) cardist, but I love cardistry

I genuinly think we are in the golden age of playing card culture, 2019 shows how flourishing playing card production is (I mean, Star wars, really!?) who agree?
I am dedicated to this culture because I think it is beautiful and if internet can give us the worst, Playing cards is among the best.

And I am so thrilled to have discovered this forum (thanks to Instagram!), I mean, WOW!
-----------
C&S - Through Joker card art and beauty
IG: @Circle_and_Star
theCapraAegagrus

Re: We are in the golden age.

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

Welcome to UC.

We're definitely not in the Golden Age of Playing Cards. That time has passed. Too much drek being "designed" and funded. It reminds me of comic books in the 1990's (which caused a market crash).
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Harvonsgard
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

Circle & Star wrote:I'm not a (good) cardist, but I love cardistry
Something we have in common :D . Welcome at UC.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
Circle & Star

theCapraAegagrus wrote:Welcome to UC.

We're definitely not in the Golden Age of Playing Cards. That time has passed. Too much drek being "designed" and funded. It reminds me of comic books in the 1990's (which caused a market crash).
I like this point of view, it's interesting... and may be true...
It's true there are a lot, probably too much, decks being funded on KS. Though I think a collector with a good flair will be able to spot the valueable decks and designs. Of course, you never know if a particular design could take a unexpected value increase, but if you choose well, your collection can multiply it's value over a few years.
I feel though that the most important thing may not be money value, but community value. I would be ready to state that we are in a golden age not in a desing way, but in a community value increase. So many new Cardists, magicians and collectors, communicating and sharing their passion.
-----------
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Re: We are in the golden age. (wap)

Unread post by Bradius »

I think there are some great designs coming out, and I think in general they are improving. Are there decks that aren’t very good being made? Sure, but the same could be said in the past as well. I am excited about cold foil and how that can improve the art of cards. Holographic foil is great as well. Some cards are even coming out with augmented reality features. Some decks I like, others hate and some decks I hate, others like.

Are we in a Golden Age? I don’t know. I do know I am liking a number of artists and what they are making with playing cards.
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
theCapraAegagrus

Usually, large market size means that the Golden Age is long gone.

People didn't collect and re-sell comics in the Golden Age. People didn't start collecting comics or getting ROI on old comics until the Bronze Age+.

The ages are based on the contents and not its fans or detractors. The Golden Age is probably 2005-2015, when Ellusionist and Jackson Robinson were at their 'peaks'. This would make the 20th Century the Atomic Age. I would say that the Silver Age is 2016-2019, when technology was booming and foils/Lotrek expanded the market. We're probably in the Bronze Age, now, where the technology is cheap and anyone with MS Paint thinks they can produce a deck regardless of how bad it is.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Timmargh
White Whale: Cartes Indiennes green back

Unread post by Timmargh »

Welcome to the forum! I hope you enjoy your time with us.
Lotrek
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Lotrek »

I believe that WE ARE in the Golden age. Many great designers contribute to that and there are more coming. The size of the market means more room for new talented people. The growing size doesn't mean decline in quality because we should always look at what's happenning at the top shelf, not at the bottom. The art market during the Renaissance -which is arguably considered the Golden Age of European art- was HUGE. And just like in playing card production, for each one of the great artists of the time like Leonardo, Tiziano, Michelangello etc there were hundreds of painters and sculptors who actually produced garbage that we now use to stuff museums instead of feeding the fireplace.
"Bite more than you can chew and then chew it"

----------------------------------------------------------
fb: https://www.facebook.com/oathplayingcards/
twitter:@OathPCC
Circle & Star

I've looked at the definition of "Golden age" just to be sure we were not talking through our hat and it says: "the period when a specified art, skill, or activity is at its peak".
We are good, It means exactly what I thought.
I may stretch a little bit, but I think it is possible this "peak" may not be passed yet.
My main argument is the playing card community does not have finished growing yet.
With the arrival of Cardistry a few years ago (what, around 10?), and the Cardistry Con, only five years ago, the playing card culture is just starting in my opinion.
-----------
Circle & Star

The industry may be flooded with crap (this, I agree), but the beautiful is just starting.
-----------
hsbc
White Whale: Grid 1 LE
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by hsbc »

Lotrek wrote:I believe that WE ARE in the Golden age. Many great designers contribute to that and there are more coming. The size of the market means more room for new talented people. The growing size doesn't mean decline in quality because we should always look at what's happenning at the top shelf, not at the bottom. The art market during the Renaissance -which is arguably considered the Golden Age of European art- was HUGE. And just like in playing card production, for each one of the great artists of the time like Leonardo, Tiziano, Michelangello etc there were hundreds of painters and sculptors who actually produced garbage that we now use to stuff museums instead of feeding the fireplace.
:ucstar: :ucstar: :ucstar: :ucstar: :ucstar: It's the same situation with television right now - there's a massive amount of content and that means lots of high-quality and low-quality :ugthink:
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Magician: Yes

Unread post by rousselle »

Welcome to the UC, and I concur, we do appear to be in a golden age for playing card design and production. Yes, there's a lot of crap out there, but there's also an amazing amount of excellent work and innovative technologies that are pushing the boundaries of what can be done harder than they've been pushed in a very long time. But, that's just my (obviously correct) opinion. :)
This space intentionally left blank.
theCapraAegagrus

Since Ellusionist is undeniably one of the pioneers in fully-custom playing cards, you can't have a Golden Age that excludes their peak.

You're all just wrong. That's okay. That's why I'm here. :D
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

You're all just wrong. That's okay. That's why I'm here.
The place would be duller without you. :D

I'll let history decide what playing card era we are in. However, if my collection is sold by Christie's, let's just go with "golden era" :lol: :ugdance:

However, if my collection is sold by Goodwill, then probably not. :o :lol:
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
CollectADeck
White Whale: Anything by OathPCC
Decks Owned: 88

Unread post by CollectADeck »

Welcome to UC Circle & Star! Glad to see you make your way over to the forum!