Verum Videre (Jackson Robinson / Kings Wild Project)

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
Fes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: The Dude Deck

Re: Verum Videre (Jackson Robinson / Kings Wild Project)

Unread post by Fes »

Nice snags those of you who picked up some treasures!
TL:DR It's completely up to you.
We can still be friends.
I actually like playing cards.
We live in interesting times.
supernova
White Whale: Standard Oath GoG

Unread post by supernova »

Lucked out and got one. Delayed shipping tho!
Ice_Panda
White Whale: Golden Oath [Blue]
Decks Owned: 200

Unread post by Ice_Panda »

why do a lot of you do delayed shipping? just curious, is it to save on shipping costs and have him send a bunch of purchases at once?
supernova

Ice_Panda wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:17 am why do a lot of you do delayed shipping? just curious, is it to save on shipping costs and have him send a bunch of purchases at once?
Yup precisely.
Curt
Cardist: Yes
Decks Owned: 350

Unread post by Curt »

Ice_Panda wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:17 am why do a lot of you do delayed shipping? just curious, is it to save on shipping costs and have him send a bunch of purchases at once?
Yeah, I can't justify $12 USD each time I want to ship a deck to Canada. Much easier to just have it consolidated and shipped as a group.
james001a
White Whale: Aurum Laser Cut

Unread post by james001a »

Not gonna lie though, between missing out on this and the six foot five release I'm a bit bummed. Did get the signed Fed Reserve though so thats cool.
I haven't slept for ten days, because that would be too long.

-Mitch Hedberg
Ice_Panda

Curt wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:19 am
Yeah, I can't justify $12 USD each time I want to ship a deck to Canada. Much easier to just have it consolidated and shipped as a group.
oh man ya i get that. I think shipping for me in the US is $5. That totally makes sense!
brownsl
White Whale: UUSI Le Jeu De Tarot
Decks Owned: 10000

Unread post by brownsl »

LasVegasCards wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:11 am
brownsl wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:07 am I think I need to focus on other companies or maybe more vintage decks as KWP has too many releases that I like and are way too hard to get.

Yeah probably. Kind of a mopey post and not a fair criticism. There were 60 decks at an insanely affordable price...what did you expect.

Also curious as to the other decks of his you love so much and can't get upon release?
Lol, most definitely sour grapes on my part as I have missed on a fair number of these types of sales, not necessarily with just KWP. I think there were actually 80 decks, obviously not too different from 60. It is frustrating to get the deck in my cart but by the time I process payment (in seconds) it is removed from my cart because it is sold out.

Not sure how else a sale of a very limited quantity of decks could work better but that doesn't make it any less frustrating. Maybe it would be good that once you have it in your cart you are given a very limited period of time (one minute?) to complete the sale, if even any of the shopping cart software can do this. Of course, with this you could get a sold out message because someone has it in their cart but then it becomes available later, if the sale is not completed.
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

KWP, please don't issue anymore super limited editions where we have to keep going through this process and fight for slots. I do appreciate the effort to make the sale as fair as possible. That I do agree with. However, do think that some people have slower connections and equipment, so it may not be as fair as you actually think. I also appreciate limiting this to just one per person. All that said, the days when KWP subscriber limited editions can be on sale for a few minutes are long gone. As such, these kinds of sales do get frustrating for those that try to order them immediately, and get left behind.
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
supernova

The other way KWP can do this is to hv different tiers of members. But not sure if that’s more equitable
brownsl
White Whale: UUSI Le Jeu De Tarot
Decks Owned: 10000

Unread post by brownsl »

Maybe give a one hour window for everyone that wants one can request one and then the decks are raffled off. Of course, the fastest would not like this as they would not get as many decks but it would be more equitable. However, a negative is it would be a lot more work for KWP to handle this.
james001a

Maybe increase the quantity a bit. I mean this is what happens with a limited edition and that adds to the specialness (real word?) Of the deck. But from what I am hearing from a few of you like bradiys and brownsl is that maybe its just too many of these limited drops. I think they are exciting but this time I struck out. I also have decks in my collection that I got in at the right time(gilded labyrinth of only 25 made, labyrinth prototype of ten made) that others did not. Oh well. Will I buy it on the secondary? Probably not unless it is reasonable. And by that I mean less than double. Highly unlikely that will happen though. So I move on to the next drop.

-Mitch Hedberg
Fes
White Whale: The Dude Deck

Unread post by Fes »

Hat's off to Jackson and his KWP crew, the way they did this limiting to one deck a pop is the fairest way possible. I am in rural southwest, I will never have the connection speed to snag a deck on a quick sell like this. I understand that and it's okay. I'm but one collector and if my missing out on a treasure means someone else gets a big smile and a nugget of playing card love for them to cherish, well who am I to complain? There were less than a hundred decks to go around! ;)

It's okay to feel the "Awe shucks. Missed it by that [] much!" bit of maybe jealousy. I hope those of us who miss out on the occasional deck remember this is a hobby. It's about fun, other folks can have some of the fun too. Human nature moan a bit though, innit? Now if you missed out you just may get to experience The thrill of the chase! You have just gotten a new chase deck to hunt. How boring would the world be if every time you dipped your line in a puddle you pulled out a fish? The pleasure of the experience wouldn't amount to much then would it.

KWP, please DO keep releasing special decks to the public 1 per customer for your crazy limited releases. Please do keep making seriously limited releases happen. I hope you extend this to 1 pair per customer for some other decks for a limited time before unlocking the gates and allowing a flood of decks to spring forth in under an hour on your more available decks too. :lol:

Don't ya love the passion? I smile reading these comments from folks.
TL:DR It's completely up to you.
We can still be friends.
I actually like playing cards.
We live in interesting times.
Ice_Panda

I know the frustration. Just a couple weeks ago i missed the black signed reserve note (i think there were 160 copies) and that was annoying. I was lucky to have someone on UC sell me one. Did you all get those? or did you miss out on that as well. I do like that he only allowed one per customer which is super nice, so at least 80 different people got a deck. This is hard, clearly I am biased since I luckily got one. I am curious, would you guys prefer to risk getting a limited run and having the rarity? or would you prefer to have it be like the new Legal Tender release? where everyone has multiple and they aren't rare? As a collector I like the rarity but when you dont get one that is super frustrating, especially when you know these are going to go for 10x mark up on EBAY.

Its an interesting conversation to me, the balance between rarity and availability. Curious on what you all think trying to be unbiased on this specific situation.
Decknowledgy

Unread post by Decknowledgy »

I had no interest in this release since I already have the Verum Videre V2 and this to me is a color swap with markups by its limited run and gilding (I hate gilding anyways, personal taste). However, my observation tells me that this release capitalized on The Virts' P1 hype on Instagram, revealing little by little and shadowed imagery, then used the limited run scheme that demolished Lotus in Hand's reputation (the 17-deck hype release that broke the community).

Hype much? Absolutely.
Publicity? Yes.
Overall reputation for the brand? BAD.

Truth is, The Virts are not limiting their Virtuoso P1 print run, but doing a preorder atm, so everyone is hyped step by step and ALSO happy since the production comes afterwards, and will be enough x2 for everyone. On the other hand, these ultra limited runs create only two things: jacked-up complacency of the ones who've got it (the minority) and pissed off "losers" of this game of hype (the majority). The number gap between these two parties are HUGE, so no surprises that there are already some posts of hate towards KWP on Instagram right after the sale.

Something to think about for any brand who pursues this limited run marketing scheme of hype.
"We look at the present through a rear-view mirror; we walk backwards into the future."
                        -- Marshall McLuhan (Media Theory Giant)
Decknowledgy™ (Ted)
Instagram Reviews: https://www.instagram.com/decknowledgy

Portfolio 52
EvilDuncan
White Whale: Heretic Gran Riserva S + Sb
Decks Owned: 1100

Unread post by EvilDuncan »

I honestly love the super limited decks. Keep them coming! Obviously it sucks for those that didn't get one, but there are many different types of releases (subscriptions, limited releases, general releases). I would say that for this type of release, there is probably no better way to do it.
I've spent way more than I care to admit on playing cards, but I'll still buy just about anything that Lorenzo, Jackson, or Gio make.
JacksonRobinson
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer
White Whale: Hermes 2 Deck Set
Decks Owned: 78623

Unread post by JacksonRobinson »

Bradius wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:39 am KWP, please don't issue anymore super limited editions where we have to keep going through this process and fight for slots. I do appreciate the effort to make the sale as fair as possible. That I do agree with. However, do think that some people have slower connections and equipment, so it may not be as fair as you actually think. I also appreciate limiting this to just one per person. All that said, the days when KWP subscriber limited editions can be on sale for a few minutes are long gone. As such, these kinds of sales do get frustrating for those that try to order them immediately and get left behind.
Honestly, there was no planning or thought put into the 80 decks we made. It was honestly as simple as we were short 80 original tucks and had 80 decks left with no tucks. We had a ton of people requesting Black Gilded Verums so we sent off the 80 decks and gilded them and printed a new tuck for them.

We did this almost a year ago when our following was much much much less (which I am very grateful for) and have only now been able to get everything together to release them.

As for the hype with partial images being released, it was nothing more than Parker really likes to make the multiple-image collages on our Instagram feed lol.

We will make more "special edition" runs in the future Brad, but please know that, as our customer base has grown we will most likely make these types of small runs in the 250-500 deck range from now on. There was no evil plan with these to overhype them. We didn't even raise the price above our normal gilded tier. It was just us responding to requests that were made almost a year ago.
EvilDuncan

JacksonRobinson wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:36 pm It was honestly as simple as we were short 80 original tucks and had 80 decks left with no tucks.
This is exactly what I thought it was. Can't just throw away the cards.
I've spent way more than I care to admit on playing cards, but I'll still buy just about anything that Lorenzo, Jackson, or Gio make.
Outsider

Unread post by Outsider »

If something isn't available for at least 24 hours it may as well not even exist to me. Nothing about extremely limited releases is compatible with how I live.
Harvonsgard
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

Ah, the fight for the leftovers... always fun to watch when you're not one of the hungry ones.

I sincerely can't see why this could damage the reputation of Kingswildproject; at least not with the mindset of a grown-up.
Everyone who is a collector for more than a year should know that this was - exactly what Jackson wrote - way before Jackson wrote it. Jackson shouldn't even have to explain or justify it.
KWP doesn't waste resources and transforms leftovers, overruns and flawed decks (member the Equinox 😂) into collectable items. That's a plus in my book. Nothing but respect from me.

Sure, if one doesn't see the leftover and thinks this is some super rare treasure it might get frustrating. A change of perspective might be advised.
Not meant disrespectful against the venting posts ✌🏿.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
EvilDuncan

Harvonsgard wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:06 pm Ah, the fight for the leftovers... always fun to watch when you're not one of the hungry ones.

I sincerely can't see why this could damage the reputation of Kingswildproject; at least not with the mindset of a grown-up.
Everyone who is a collector for more than a year should know that this was - exactly what Jackson wrote - way before Jackson wrote it. Jackson shouldn't even have to explain or justify it.
KWP doesn't waste resources and transforms leftovers, overruns and flawed decks (member the Equinox 😂) into collectable items. That's a plus in my book. Nothing but respect from me.

Sure, if one doesn't see the leftover and thinks this is some super rare treasure it might get frustrating. A change of perspective might be advised.
Not meant disrespectful against the venting posts ✌🏿.
Exactly
james001a

No way does this damage KWP's reputation, as Jackson is able to continually put out quality decks. I really like that he is an active presence in here with us. I love the limit of one, and it makes sense that these decks needed tucks and a good home. The price was very reasonable for a gilded die cut embossed fully custom deck. But I like the number being upped a bit to 150-250 decks. Still a low number but still a bit more attainable.

-Mitch Hedberg
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Magician: Yes

Unread post by rousselle »

I set an alarm to make sure I was ready to snag one. Got one into my cart, and it was gone before I could pay. C'est la vie.

While I wish I'd been able to grab one, that's the nature of the game. Not going to sulk. This is a neat deck, and I'd love to see how the black gilding comes out. Maybe on some future deck. But, it's all good. As has been noted above, it's not like it makes sense to throw away the leftovers. And, other than limiting the decks one per customer (which he did), what else could he do to distribute these fairly? I get the lottery idea that was suggested, but really, for those of us who logged in at the designated time, it kinda came down to a lottery when all was said and done.

I suppose he could have first opened the gates to those who subscribe to everything, and then to those who have the most subscriptions, and on down the list, but the method he used (and the suggested lottery method) are both more fair to the general subscriber base.

From a programming standpoint, I imagine that asking people to reserve a deck, then performing a lottery, and then securing payment would be *way* beyond the pale of what most e-commerce packages can handle.

Congrats to those who snagged one. And for those of us who didn't, may the odds be ever in our favor for the next limited release we set our sights on.
This space intentionally left blank.
Magic Tapp
Decks Owned: 816

Unread post by Magic Tapp »

I somehow managed to get a deck although I was in a cab and on a mobile network rather than my home wifi setup. Got a bit nervous when the order was being confirmed but the purchase went through just fine.