Mea culpa for leaving CL branding in the UC mailing list!

Have questions or comments about the site?
Marcus
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Mea culpa for leaving CL branding in the UC mailing list!

Unread post by Marcus »

Receiving unsolicited e-mail about this to an e-mail registered at Card Launcher – not ok. That is the very definition of spam right there, Mike.
Yes, I might be the guy you remember from that thing at that place way back when.
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Re: Mea culpa for leaving CL branding in the UC mailing list

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

[quote="Marcus"]Receiving unsolicited e-mail about this to an e-mail registered at Card Launcher – not ok. That is the very definition of spam right there, Mike.[/quote
Did you read it, Marcus? I had more positive feedback from that one-time message than any ever.

It also had the highest open & click through rate and lowest insuscribe... It said very clearly that it was a 1-time notification. ]
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
Marcus
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by Marcus »

Yes, I read it and whatever positive reactions you received is beside the point here. You gathered e-mails through one project and used them for a completely different purpose without permission from the e-mail owners. That right there is spam, plain and simple. It is the biggest no-no in e-mail marketing and no matter if you plan to only do it this one time it is still bad conduct.
Yes, I might be the guy you remember from that thing at that place way back when.
Rob Wright

Unread post by Rob Wright »

I have to agree with Marcus on this one. I got the email as well. I opened it up, saw it, and deleted it. I knew it was spam, but I didn't unsubscribe because this seems to be the first time. It's just not a good practice. I would add, that I had already seen the deck through all the other typical outlets, so the email wasn't needed.
montecarlojoe
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

I guess if you put mail out across the CL mailing list to say that members of that list may receive promotional messages for projects where you (CL) have acted in a consultancy or partner role, with the option to opt out / unsubscribe then that would be fine.

Noone doubts your intentions Mike, but it goes to show how easy it is to slip into these things.

Strictly it's a data protection issue - two of the principles under British law are that data should only be used for the the purpose for which consent was given, and retained only for as long as necessary for that purpose. (I imagine US law must be similar).

The specific problem here was that ascent was only given (explicitly and implicitly) to use emails for CL specific communication, and they were in fact used for another purpose. Arguably the CL mailing list should no longer even exist under the 2nd principle I stated (but I think everyone has the hope that CL may see the light again some day - so retaining the original list would therefore be appropriate for whatever may be considered a reasonable period).

Anywho - this is drawing this thread off topic and it wouldn't be fair for this to negatively impact the project itself.
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

Yep. I screwed up big time. I went in and compiled a list from members and anyone who has previously supported any UC campaign on KS - with the exception of the original one run by Ferrante - and should have figured out how to completely remove any and all references to CL from my account, which I thought I had. It was late and I can't deny there was a bit of exasperation on my part.

If you want to unsubscribe, please do. It will be used in the future only for campaigns UC is related to as opposed to myself. My plans were to send out a monthly issue for projects that interest the members. I suppose it might not have crossed my mind that this project wasn't among them. I am glad that I went back and removed the part about Giovanni's Omnia decks!

Again, my sincere apologies for not thinking out through.

Somewhere deep in the configuration file old name is still there. Until I figure out how to remove it I won't use the lost.
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.