Ability to rate decks within individual collections

If you'd like to see something new in the Playing Card Database post here.
(You never know - it might happen!)

Moderator: Playing Card DB Mod

ecNate
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 400

Ability to rate decks within individual collections

Unread post by ecNate »

This is more of a future possible goal, but having ability to rank or rate decks within a collection would be awesome. However, I realize that will require additional and more complicated database tables and coding. Something like a 5 star (or spade :lol: ) scale where 5 is most favored and 1 is the least. Having increments within of 1/2 points may be nice too, or just make it a 10 step (1-10) rating in whole number increments.

This also could be something to sort on within a collection.
montecarlojoe
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Re: Ability to rate decks within individual collections

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

This would go hand in hand with reviews - a simple text box you can submit with a rating perhaps?
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

montecarlojoe wrote:This would go hand in hand with reviews - a simple text box you can submit with a rating perhaps?

Agree, having a review field would be pretty neat. The rating wouldn't have to be graphical clickable stars/spades either, although it would be neat. Just having an input field, with input validation to make sure it's 0-10 and numeric would be enough.
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

Hey @rhu, next time you feel like coding up a storm... :lol: <insert squeeky wheel sound>

Seriously though, I think this is one of the key features that is still missing. Being able to have individuals rate decks within their collection (they must own it) and then having the average rating for all decks be reflected in the database deck entry would be awesome. Not only can we then see what deck is most popular and most owned, but also what is the highest rated. Having a listing of reviews linked as Joe mentioned would be just icing on the gooey cake!
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

Hello, I am the Ability to rate decks within individual collections (and related statistics, plus review) feature request. I'm very lonely and hope Rhu gives me a new home for Christmas. I know I would make so many PCDB users happy in the process as well. :D
Happy holiday Rhu, thanks for taking time out of your vacation and holiday away from work to focus on PCDB. Even if you feel other changes are more pressing. :mrgreen:
Sparkz
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by Sparkz »

Just a thought, maybe ditch the Top rated Collection by number of decks and add a rating for the overall collection of a member instead. No disrespect to anyone, but volume is impressive but can be missleading. Not to mention if it's rated by other members, that in itself would be kind of cool pat on the back :)

.......just my 2 cents :)
dazzleguts
White Whale: Das Kartenspiel Des Oberdeutsc
Decks Owned: 885

Unread post by dazzleguts »

That could get people looking at each others collections more too. :geek:
Worldwide Time Machine

"Cards from far off lands and bygone days!"
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

Sparkz wrote:Just a thought, maybe ditch the Top rated Collection by number of decks and add a rating for the overall collection of a member instead. No disrespect to anyone, but volume is impressive but can be missleading. Not to mention if it's rated by other members, that in itself would be kind of cool pat on the back :)

.......just my 2 cents :)

That would be neat, but collections are dynamic and changing. A sad little starter collection could end up being the best on the site, so perhaps some aging or devaluing of a rating after a period of time or after the collection changed by 50% or more. Seems like a conundrum, but I like the concept if it can work.

Even if this is done, I still think it's important (more so) to be able to rate a deck itself. This would then allow for us to determine to best deck on a site and the worst. This would be more useful than popularity of a deck to me anyhow.
rhu

Unread post by rhu »

I could add things like this without too much hassle now, but I'm slowly giving more and more focus to PCDB v2.

I'm also about ready to release the new categories as well, but not sure how much of a headache this is going to be to port the data over into PCDB v2 when it's ready :)
PlayingCardDB - we bag and tag playing cards
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

rhu wrote:I could add things like this without too much hassle now, but I'm slowly giving more and more focus to PCDB v2.

I'm also about ready to release the new categories as well, but not sure how much of a headache this is going to be to port the data over into PCDB v2 when it's ready :)

Sounds like a plan. Perhaps my write up of this caused confusion as I had my developer hat on. What I mean is a feature that allows any member to rate any deck in the database. To do this, what it really means is they would then usually rate a deck within their own collection, but at times may rate one on their wishlist or one they have just seen. In those cases they really would need to be 'added' to their collection in the form of rated from a data perspective, but yeah the point is rating decks in a database. This can wait though.

I've noticed the new categories and tried to update a deck with it, but it didn't seem to stick. I'll debug more with that later.
rhu

Unread post by rhu »

ecNate wrote: I've noticed the new categories and tried to update a deck with it, but it didn't seem to stick. I'll debug more with that later.
They don't work yet, I need to finish the display before I'll enable adding this data :) I probably shouldn't of revealed those on the live site yet
rhu

Unread post by rhu »

Just finished off an intense 2 day code sprint on PCDB v2, I can now confirm that the ability to rate decks is being added from the start :) Still some GUI improvements to consider but it's a functional feature :D
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

ME = :ugdance:

YOU = :ugking:

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Looking forward to it. Any estimate on when v2 might go live? Is there a lot left to do?