Framing/Hanging Uncut Sheets

When you want something done right, gotta do it yourself!
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Re: Framing/Hanging Uncut Sheets

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

"float frames" are a good idea, but most that I have ever seen are designed for ¾" canvas art, which just doesn't work well for flat or essentially flat items like uncut sheets. These are made for posters so that should work, but are going to be awfully tight even for USPCC uncuts, and those of us who frame uncuts consider them sacred and wouldn't dream of trimming one no matter what. If you have an inexpensive uncut like a $10 Club 808 one, I might be tempted to try it, but the $50+ ones are too hard to replace - if not impossible.

The other thing that worries me is that they don't say anything about being acid free - which in fact might be true since it is plexiglass, but.. . .

ALWAYS better safe than sorry. If you try it, I'd like to see how it turns out. Typical costs are around $100-$150 for most DIY and can easily go $250+ for custom. It sure would not hurt to try with a mockup blank sheet cut to the exact size as a test.
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
Emmanuel
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Emmanuel »

Those are amazing frames, Chad! I love the inset for the tuck case.
chadmcmillan

Unread post by chadmcmillan »

Emmanuel wrote:Those are amazing frames, Chad! I love the inset for the tuck case.
Thanks Emmanuel! Now I just have to find the room to hang them all. Not enough wall space.
nECr0MaNCeD
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 677

Unread post by nECr0MaNCeD »

chadmcmillan wrote:
Emmanuel wrote:Those are amazing frames, Chad! I love the inset for the tuck case.
Thanks Emmanuel! Now I just have to find the room to hang them all. Not enough wall space.

I have some wall space I could donate.... :ugthink:
If it's too loud.... you're too old!
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

nECr0MaNCeD wrote:
chadmcmillan wrote:
. It's about $50, $65 with shipping, but to be honest I've paid a whole lot more to frame uncuts without the floater feature. We'll see - it either works or it doesn't. I suspect if it does we'll run them out of stock pretty quickly!

I have some wall space I could donate.... :ugthink:
heheh - and I can make some here, as well. Actually, I found this today sniffing around the "FrameUSA" site so I ordered one in 24" x 30" with "piano black" frame and I'll see how it does: 'Floater' frames from FrameUSA and show my results using a Black Reserve Note uncut.
>Mike<
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
RSLancastr
Decks Owned: 2500

Unread post by RSLancastr »

Something interesting happened a couple of nights ago:

I finally decided to pull the trigger on getting one of my uncuts framed.

We purchased a black 24"x30" frame (at Walmart, of all places) for $18.95, but they - not surprisingly - had no mats nor mounting boards at all for that size frame, let alone one which would fit an uncut, so, later that day, I called a local framing store. When the woman I spoke to asked what it was that I wanted framed, I asked her if she had ever seen or heard of an uncut sheet of playing cards, and she replied "Oh, yeah. We usually frame them double-sided, so you can hang it with the back showing if you'd like."

I was surprised that she even knew what one was, and I was stunned that she brought up the issue of a double-sided frame!

So, 'fess up: which one of you has had an uncut framed in Salem, Oregon?
-Marcel Marceau
framegod

Unread post by framegod »

RSLancastr wrote:Something interesting happened a couple of nights ago:

I finally decided to pull the trigger on getting one of my uncuts framed.

We purchased a black 24"x30" frame (at Walmart, of all places) for $18.95, but they - not surprisingly - had no mats nor mounting boards at all for that size frame, let alone one which would fit an uncut, so, later that day, I called a local framing store. When the woman I spoke to asked what it was that I wanted framed, I asked her if she had ever seen or heard of an uncut sheet of playing cards, and she replied "Oh, yeah. We usually frame them double-sided, so you can hang it with the back showing if you'd like."

I was surprised that she even knew what one was, and I was stunned that she brought up the issue of a double-sided frame!

So, 'fess up: which one of you has had an uncut framed in Salem, Oregon?
I used to frame things for a living about 20+ years ago and the only problem with double sided framing an uncut sheet is the weight of the two pieces of glass. I have double sided art hanging in my house but nothing that size (24x30), its to heavy. You need to use double matboard one for each side then the glass for each side. You have no support for that glass, not like on a regular framing, plus the uncut sheet is hanging there unprotected if the glass breaks the sheet is most likely destroyed. Your best best bet is the chadmcmillan has them done with a deck at the botom or you sacrafrice a tuck box to the bottom keeping it all the same thickness. All in all the least expensive way to go is a metal frame, buy your products on line and assemble at home you should be able to get it done for about $50-$80 each. Just my two sence and I what I will be doing, also use acid free matboard and backboard to keep the uncut sheet safe from.

Have fun
Thank you,
Jeff

“Magnus raised his hands above his head and clapped once. The room flooded with light. "You see? You think that would be possible without magic?
"Actually," replied Simon, "It is. If you watched infomercials you'd know that.”

― Cassandra Clare
chadmcmillan

Unread post by chadmcmillan »

Finally getting some of my uncut sheets hung in my new office.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/27/y9a5u2u6.jpg
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

chadmcmillan wrote:Finally getting side of my uncut sheets hung in my new office.
Truly magnificent looking stuff, Chad!
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

nECr0MaNCeD
Decks Owned: 677

Unread post by nECr0MaNCeD »

Truly beautiful Chad. Kudos to you sir. What did you say your address was?!? :lol:
If it's too loud.... you're too old!
TGunitedcardists

Unread post by TGunitedcardists »

After reading this thread, there must be someone out there that could come up with a solution specifically for card collectors. Sounds like an opening for a successful Kickstarter project...
snsdmonkey

Unread post by snsdmonkey »

TGunitedcardists wrote:After reading this thread, there must be someone out there that could come up with a solution specifically for card collectors. Sounds like an opening for a successful Kickstarter project...
I assume the logistics and postage costs involved would make it a US-only KS to be viable but would happily be proven wrong :D
RSLancastr

I may have found an insanely simple and inexpensive way to frame my uncuts!!

They are 22"x28" (I am hoping that the 22" is wide enough - I seem to recall USPCC uncuts being something like 22 3/8" x 26 7/8"), and cost less than $8 apiece!

I have ordered two of them (a 22"x28" one and a 24" x 30" one, to try matting with).

They are double-sided, being made entirely of clear PVC.

They may require "mirror hangers" (those bracket-like things used to hang a simple mirror on a wall) to mount them on the wall.

Once they have arrived and I have tried them out, I will upload pics here (and a link to where they can be purchased).

They may end up being "too good to be true", in which case, I will STILL post here about them, to warn you all off them.

Cross your fingers!
-Marcel Marceau
Gruul
Decks Owned: 382

Unread post by Gruul »

RSLancastr wrote:I may have found an insanely simple and inexpensive way to frame my uncuts!!

They are 22"x28" (I am hoping that the 22" is wide enough - I seem to recall USPCC uncuts being something like 22 3/8" x 26 7/8"), and cost less than $8 apiece!

I have ordered two of them (a 22"x28" one and a 24" x 30" one, to try matting with).

They are double-sided, being made entirely of clear PVC.

They may require "mirror hangers" (those bracket-like things used to hang a simple mirror on a wall) to mount them on the wall.

Once they have arrived and I have tried them out, I will upload pics here (and a link to where they can be purchased).

They may end up being "too good to be true", in which case, I will STILL post here about them, to warn you all off them.

Cross your fingers!
Did this come through? I have been looking for better frames. I currently get poster frames from "Michael's" craft store for my uncuts. They do the job, but, I don't care for them. One sided, flimsy, and pretty expensive when looking at 20 uncuts and counting.
RSLancastr

Gruul wrote:Did this come through? I have been looking for better frames. I currently get poster frames from "Michael's" craft store for my uncuts. They do the job, but, I don't care for them. One sided, flimsy, and pretty expensive when looking at 20 uncuts and counting.
Yes and no. Still working on it.
-Marcel Marceau
Gruul

Unread post by Gruul »

RSLancastr wrote:
Gruul wrote:Did this come through? I have been looking for better frames. I currently get poster frames from "Michael's" craft store for my uncuts. They do the job, but, I don't care for them. One sided, flimsy, and pretty expensive when looking at 20 uncuts and counting.

I am guessing that this project is not being nice to you?
RSLancastr

Gruul wrote:
RSLancastr wrote:

I am guessing that this project is not being nice to you?
Well, it's certainly taking more time than I'd anticipated. However, if I work out the kinks and present it here, all of you can avoid some of the pitfalls I've experienced in this.
-Marcel Marceau
StanKindLee
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by StanKindLee »

I laminated the uncut sheet before sandwiching it in the frame.
uncutframe1.jpg
uncutframe2.jpg
-- $tanley
Flame Fractal deck - http://freakiebeat.com/index.php/flame- ... -in-spades" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Animation of the Flame Fractal deck - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9Kq0BA8w9w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gruul

Unread post by Gruul »

That looks great! Personally, I don't want to take a chance on laminating my uncuts though. I feel like I would not be able to remove the laminate safely in the future. Currently I am using poster frames from Michael's, but those are one sided of course. I looked into getting sheets of clear polysterine to sandwich them in, but, I couldn't find them inexpensively. I still have hope for RSlancastr to pull through!
StanKindLee
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by StanKindLee »

Yeah - the lamination is two sided and quite permanent... fortunately I had more than one of these, so I could experiment some. I would like to do the same thing with another uncut except sandwich it between two pieces of non-glare glass, and then build the frame around the glass.
-- $tanley
Flame Fractal deck - http://freakiebeat.com/index.php/flame- ... -in-spades" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Animation of the Flame Fractal deck - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9Kq0BA8w9w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Marcus
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by Marcus »

Step 1: Measure your poster's/sheet's width.

Step 2: Purchase nano suction tape, neodymium magnets, a few metallic plates and a two pieces of wood of your liking that measures the width of your poster/sheet.

Step 3: Drill a few holes into the wooden planks large and deep enough to fit the magnets.

Step 4: Glue the magnets to the planks (didn't expect this step, did ya?)

Step 5: Stick the nano suction tape to the metallic plates, measure the length of your poster/sheet and stick the plates to your wall.

Step 6: Adjust the plates a bit, you messed it up the first time.

Step 7: Hold the poster/sheet with its top and bottom lined up with the plates, and place the planks on top of it to keep it in place.

Step 8: Grab something refreshing to drink. You deserve it, lad!

Perhaps not perfect for everyone, but it's an easy and purrrty solution that doesn't leave any holes in your wall if you want to change it, and you can easily flip an uncut sheet if you want to display the other side for a while.

(I should perhaps mention that you do this at your own risk, don't hold me responsible. I can't even fathom a way to mess this up but I don't trust you guys! :D )
Yes, I might be the guy you remember from that thing at that place way back when.
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

Marcus wrote:Step 1: Measure your poster's/sheet's width.

Step 2: Purchase nano suction tape, neodymium magnets, a few metallic plates and a two pieces of wood of your liking that measures the width of your poster/sheet.

Step 3: Drill a few holes into the wooden planks large and deep enough to fit the magnets.

Step 4: Glue the magnets to the planks (didn't expect this step, did ya?)

Step 5: Stick the nano suction tape to the metallic plates, measure the length of your poster/sheet and stick the plates to your wall.

Step 6: Adjust the plates a bit, you messed it up the first time.

Step 7: Hold the poster/sheet with its top and bottom lined up with the plates, and place the planks on top of it to keep it in place.

Step 8: Grab something refreshing to drink. You deserve it, lad!
You know, that sounds so do-able, Marcus! I've got one of those double-sided hanging frames from FrameUSA, but not got around to cutting the plexiglass for two sides and mats for each as well. I have been a little busy... Time to relax a bit, maybe I'll figure out which one deserves it? Maybe Lance's old original Activator Artists's Edition? Signed? Check - with a single digit number. hmmm...
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Marcus
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by Marcus »

It is pretty simple as long as you have the time and the material. Many neodymium magnets even have holes in them so you can just keep them in place with a tiny screw instead of glue if so desired. And with the nano suction tape you can move them around without leaving holes everywhere, so you can mix things up.

Of course there's no need to do it like I wrote with a top and bottom frame, you can do the sides or just the corners or however you please.
Yes, I might be the guy you remember from that thing at that place way back when.
Tscharger
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Decks Owned: 223

Unread post by Tscharger »

I had a thought on the subject does anyone remember how they used to hang news papers on those long rods at the library? Could you put the uncuts in the sleeve then clamp the top of the sleeve between two pieces of wood extend the ends long enough to hang on a rack? It would be a good way to store multiple uncuts in a small space and allow you to rotate your stock and reverse them if you wanted.
facebook.com/groups/collectingplayingcards
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

Like this?

RSLancastr

Tscharger wrote:I had a thought on the subject does anyone remember how they used to hang news papers on those long rods at the library? Could you put the uncuts in the sleeve then clamp the top of the sleeve between two pieces of wood extend the ends long enough to hang on a rack? It would be a good way to store multiple uncuts in a small space and allow you to rotate your stock and reverse them if you wanted.
I had the same thought a while back, but concluded that uncuts are too thick to work well with the newspaper hangers, and would most likely end up with permanent creases from the hangers.

However, that idea led me to another, and I have found what I believe is a workable and relatively-inexpensive way to hang uncuts that is attractive and protective of the uncut.

I will post pics of it when I am able.
Eoghann wrote:Like this?
Someone had suggested something like this towards the top of this thread!

What size are they, and how much does the whole thing cost?
-Marcel Marceau
ecNate
Decks Owned: 400

Unread post by ecNate »

Sorry for the cross post and digging up an old thread, but in case this helps somebody else in 6-60 months - I just completed framing most of my uncuts and have tips and sizes here:
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=4961&p=46622#p121974