Space Suits by Meadowlark (ill. Russ Gray)

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
Swiski66
Collector: Yes
White Whale: Playing Arts Special Edition
Decks Owned: 200

Re: Space Suits by Meadowlark (ill. Russ Gray)

Unread post by Swiski66 »

As much as I love holographic effects on these decks, I had to be sensible and back just the simple 2-deck set. Spending too much lately....on everything!
Russ' artwork will look cleaner and clearer on the non-holo stock...to me anyways.
zuccha
Magician: Yes

Unread post by zuccha »

Squiddle_Ink wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:13 am sad I can't actually obtain that wonderful lunchbox.
I'm not usually interested in cases to hold decks, but I wanted this lunch box(oh, and there was such a thing as canned sardines). I am sad to think that I may not be able to get it.
GandalfPC
Cardist: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Ambergris
Decks Owned: 1700

Unread post by GandalfPC »

I only wish they had a thermos
Hunting Karl Gerich and Elaine Lewis

My collection and tradelist: http://gandalfpc.great-site.net
Adamthinks
Decks Owned: 500

Unread post by Adamthinks »

Really not thrilled that getting the gilded versions requires also getting a standard set. That kills any interest in the gilded set for me. I might end up passing on this and waiting to get the standard decks on the secondary market. Save on shipping that way at least.
Evilgamer

Unread post by Evilgamer »

Adamthinks wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:50 am Really not thrilled that getting the gilded versions requires also getting a standard set. That kills any interest in the gilded set for me. I might end up passing on this and waiting to get the standard decks on the secondary market. Save on shipping that way at least.
Yeah I agree, I put a marker on this just in case I decide I want it later but this deck doesnt really speak to me and I really hate this practice of putting the "best" deck requiring things that are redundant or I dont really want.
Adamthinks

Evilgamer wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:10 am
Adamthinks wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:50 am Really not thrilled that getting the gilded versions requires also getting a standard set. That kills any interest in the gilded set for me. I might end up passing on this and waiting to get the standard decks on the secondary market. Save on shipping that way at least.
Yeah I agree, I put a marker on this just in case I decide I want it later but this deck doesnt really speak to me and I really hate this practice of putting the "best" deck requiring things that are redundant or I dont really want.
Yeah, and on top of that, you can only get a set, not just one deck. With the card fronts being the same, I'd rather just grab the Astro deck alone.
mtsedwards72
Decks Owned: 58

Unread post by mtsedwards72 »

Adamthinks wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:32 am
Evilgamer wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:10 am
Yeah, and on top of that, you can only get a set, not just one deck. With the card fronts being the same, I'd rather just grab the Astro deck alone.
Oh, dear! You're right - they have the same faces. But they don't have a tier that allows you to follow for $1 then do an add on for just one deck. Is this how playing card campaigns usually run?

I am enamored of Russ Gray's style and paid a pretty penny tracking down all the Meadowlark decks when I got into this hobby this month, so I didn't want to miss out on this one, but if y'all think the secondary market will be rife with copies after fulfillment, then maybe I'll take my chances and wait as well. I really only want one deck.
I'm not as interesting as I think I am.
Evilgamer

mtsedwards72 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:00 am

Oh, dear! You're right - they have the same faces. But they don't have a tier that allows you to follow for $1 then do an add on for just one deck. Is this how playing card campaigns usually run?

I am enamored of Russ Gray's style and paid a pretty penny tracking down all the Meadowlark decks when I got into this hobby this month, so I didn't want to miss out on this one, but if y'all think the secondary market will be rife with copies after fulfillment, then maybe I'll take my chances and wait as well. I really only want one deck.
It depends on the campaign, this is probably one of the most egregious cases of this practice to be honest.

I dont think Ive ever seen a campaign where you couldn't get a single deck.

I would say the "normal" way to gatekeep is to make you buy the base version of a deck and then make the "fancy" version (gilded, foiled, better tuck or whatever) an add-on only.
Or they put the best version behind the box set with *1* copy of everything or at least one other deck.

There are some companies (cough ARK $200 wood boxes) that are worse than others, and others that have NO versions that are gated behind buying something else.
Harvonsgard
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

mtsedwards72 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:00 am ... but if y'all think the secondary market will be rife with copies after fulfillment, then maybe I'll take my chances and wait as well. I really only want one deck.
I'd be careful with that assumption. Due to other hobbies I'm far from being as vigilant as an observer of the card market anymore - so grain of salt is advised - but there were quite some decks that disappeared after Kickstarter and never really hit the the reputable secondary market. OG Mirage comes to mind. Or the Ten in One decks. The OG Mirage didn't even show up often on eBay from scalpers. For Meadowlark decks it's a safer bet though.

TL;DR: Don't apply the secondary market pick-up as a rule of thumb.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
Honeybee
White Whale: Blk prototype Aviator Heritage
Decks Owned: 200

Unread post by Honeybee »

I am a huge Jonafan and have half bricks of some of his early decks and although an addict of nostalgia TV including "Danger! Danger Will Robinson!" I am surprisingly underwhelmed by the KS pics so the disappointment of no Oz shipping is irrelevant but I do see it as shameful. I will probably just get one of my preferred Interstellar later - purely for the AoS and the Cat Joker
KoD - my initials, no wonder I grew up a lover of playing cards
Avatar - Honeybee (No.15+17) Tuck pic by Randy Butterfield for PM
Evilgamer

Harvonsgard wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:53 pm
mtsedwards72 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:00 am ... but if y'all think the secondary market will be rife with copies after fulfillment, then maybe I'll take my chances and wait as well. I really only want one deck.
I'd be careful with that assumption. Due to other hobbies I'm far from being as vigilant as an observer of the card market anymore - so grain of salt is advised - but there were quite some decks that disappeared after Kickstarter and never really hit the the reputable secondary market. OG Mirage comes to mind. Or the Ten in One decks. The OG Mirage didn't even show up often on eBay from scalpers. For Meadowlark decks it's a safer bet though.

TL;DR: Don't apply the secondary market pick-up as a rule of thumb.
They have already said socal will be getting these, and the legends web site (primarily for international).
hsbc
White Whale: Grid 1 LE
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by hsbc »

Is there a picture of the alternative lunchbox that I'm not seeing?
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

hsbc wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:19 pm Is there a picture of the alternative lunchbox that I'm not seeing?
From what I read, I understood it to be the same lunchbox with a special stick on it or something like that. But I'm probably wrong.
GandalfPC

see the latest reel - there is a color change on front and back:

https://www.instagram.com/meadowlarkdecks/reels/

IMG_0796.jpeg
IMG_0796.jpeg (383.19 KiB) Viewed 556 times

hsbc

Unread post by hsbc »

Okay, I am actually slightly colorblind (for real), are those two different boxes?
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

hsbc wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:33 pm Okay, I am actually slightly colorblind (for real), are those two different boxes?
Yup, guess I was wrong. The mountains in the back are blue, the ones in the front are orangey.
GandalfPC

IMG_0798.jpeg
IMG_0797.jpeg

hsbc

Unread post by hsbc »

Oh okay it's clear there -- still way too similar for me to grab both, though :(
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
Sinecure

Unread post by Sinecure »

I was super excited for this deck since receiving the teaser postcard in RX Almanac. I adore the theme and the artwork.

Not being in the US, I was disappointed to see the Kickstarter is US/Canada only - but then relieved to see it see it will be available internationally through Legends. Curious why they didn’t just team up with Legends to do international fulfilment as part of the Kickstarter - given that’s kinda what’s happening anyway?

As much as I love the deck (and the lunchbox), the campaign does a few things that I’m usually critical of. Notably, no single deck option and bundling the special edition deck(s) with other decks. Even Ark who was famous for doing box sets only, finally changed their approach on their recent campaign - noting that it was in response to mounting customer feedback. I have no problem with bundling as an option just not the only option. Can’t speak for the economics of it, but as a customer I feel like I’m being force-fed stuff under the guise of ‘more value’ - even though I’d happily pay a hefty premium to get the ones I want (and avoid drowning in decks).

To be fair, the lunchbox is probably more integral to this campaign than your average box - which might complicate the bundling options, pricing (and shipping) somewhat.

Complaints aside, I really do love the deck and, even though I almost never desire non-playing card extras, I was smitten by the lunchbox the moment I saw it.
Eric Lee
White Whale: Korchma Taras Bulba

Unread post by Eric Lee »

Int'l folks can get an estimate of the shipping rates to their country for 2 decks (minus lunch box of course) here.

For me in South East Asia, shipping is so much cheaper than if Meadowlark were to ship it from US. Probably 8-10x cheaper. Not sure how it'll be for the Euro folks

Interesting experiment by Meadowlark, but we'll see how it turns out. Butterfly tried to diversify shipping options with their Workers, but it was too expensive to do it again with their Marked deck.

On the cards part does anyone know if the 2 decks will have other differences for the courts besides just the tuck and back?
mtsedwards72

Eric Lee wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:38 pm
On the cards part does anyone know if the 2 decks will have other differences for the courts besides just the tuck and back?
I'd like to know this too.
DeepCard

Unread post by DeepCard »

Love the art. sadly I'm in Taiwan
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

This project is being advertised on the P52 homepage. I'd love to know how that got up so quickly but why the site rotted for a month or so a few months back?
Fenrir
White Whale: No 17 Crown
Decks Owned: 475

Unread post by Fenrir »

vasta41 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:45 am This project is being advertised on the P52 homepage. I'd love to know how that got up so quickly but why the site rotted for a month or so a few months back?
There are community members who are not Alex who help with P52.
Adamthinks

Fenrir wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:04 am
vasta41 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:45 am This project is being advertised on the P52 homepage. I'd love to know how that got up so quickly but why the site rotted for a month or so a few months back?
There are community members who are not Alex who help with P52.
I'd imagine that's a paid ad on the site. Who is handling the money for that if not Alex?
GandalfPC

Saw the ad yesterday, I imagine there exists a bank account to pay or an invoice to print, I doubt it signals much in terms of what we desire to know.

TheGentlemanWake
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by TheGentlemanWake »

Sinecure wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:53 pm
As much as I love the deck (and the lunchbox), the campaign does a few things that I’m usually critical of. Notably, no single deck option and bundling the special edition deck(s) with other decks. Even Ark who was famous for doing box sets only, finally changed their approach on their recent campaign - noting that it was in response to mounting customer feedback. I have no problem with bundling as an option just not the only option. Can’t speak for the economics of it, but as a customer I feel like I’m being force-fed stuff under the guise of ‘more value’ - even though I’d happily pay a hefty premium to get the ones I want (and avoid drowning in decks).
I'm only quoting the above for context... this isn't a direct reply to Sinecure. With small campaigns such as this one, selling only single decks is problematic. Russ is a fantastic designer and not an inexpensive one at that. He's well worth the investment for a beautiful outcome but its not without its challenges. So, as a producer, when I see folks debate the 'value' of a project it disheartens me a bit. Long ago we somehow got away from the idea that we are SUPPORTERS and BACKERS and not customers. It's such a shame, Jonathan is a fantastic dude and its painful to see someone with out ulterior motive create a beautiful project and not be rewarded for it. What's interesting is that in other niches people support creators without the expectation of rewards. I see it a lot with youtubers. Patreons with many supporters and all that is promised is the continued production of content. But in the card world its very much a transactional interaction. We've let this attitude of 'not enough value' become somewhat pervasive. I've gone on at length about my experience with KS campaigns and what goes into my decisions on how to implement rewards and such ad nauseum in other threads so I won't rehash that here, but just know that its getting harder and harder to keep producing cards as a business (Goldsmith for me has broken even only recently and Beetle Backs' profitability is still in question). What that means is if the continued outlook persists there won't be any decks to collect because all of the producers will have moved on. This is true of even well-known producers like lorenzo (who's EOTO2 funding was significantly less than EOTO1).
For the best in playing cards related content:

https://www.wake.video/youtube
GandalfPC

There will always be all of the decks that have ever been produced to collect, and there will most certainly always be new decks produced.

As for how long the business model of a person trying to make an entire business around making decks - that is certainly an area that only a very few can survive in. The business model evolving into a ton of variations of expensive gilded decks running into the hundreds simply doesn’t have the deep pocket audience to sustain. It also becomes apparent at some point that rather than spending 500 on a new deck campaign you can pick up a treasure from the past, or a bunch of them.

So the new must compete with the old, the other new, and the yet to come. Don’t see it ever being any easier to survive than that.

mtsedwards72

TheGentlemanWake wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:20 am With small campaigns such as this one, selling only single decks is problematic. Russ is a fantastic designer and not an inexpensive one at that. He's well worth the investment for a beautiful outcome but its not without its challenges. So, as a producer, when I see folks debate the 'value' of a project it disheartens me a bit. Long ago we somehow got away from the idea that we are SUPPORTERS and BACKERS and not customers. It's such a shame, Jonathan is a fantastic dude and its painful to see someone with out ulterior motive create a beautiful project and not be rewarded for it. What's interesting is that in other niches people support creators without the expectation of rewards. I see it a lot with youtubers. Patreons with many supporters and all that is promised is the continued production of content. But in the card world its very much a transactional interaction. We've let this attitude of 'not enough value' become somewhat pervasive. I've gone on at length about my experience with KS campaigns and what goes into my decisions on how to implement rewards and such ad nauseum in other threads so I won't rehash that here, but just know that its getting harder and harder to keep producing cards as a business (Goldsmith for me has broken even only recently and Beetle Backs' profitability is still in question). What that means is if the continued outlook persists there won't be any decks to collect because all of the producers will have moved on. This is true of even well-known producers like lorenzo (who's EOTO2 funding was significantly less than EOTO1).
Thank you for this perspective. Mine is from a KS Superbacker of board games, tarot decks and most recently playing cards. I understand and acknowledge that crowdfunding is initially a vehicle to support creators; I fully agree and am on board with this mindset. But when larger companies use the platform as a FOMO-inducing presale outlet, it tends to dilute and even pervert Kickstarter's original ethos. It is disheartening.

Regardless, I agree that Jonathan is fantastic! When I'd pledged and inquired as to the possibility of a one-deck tier option, he immediately messaged me personally and suggested I drop the pledge and email him when the campaign was over so he could negotiate with SoCal to get me a single copy. Jonathan is a prince among men, and now, after reading the above post, I want to support him even more. I think I'll just go back and re-pledge for the two decks as I'd originally intended; I couldn't decide on which one to get anyway, so this sorts it out for me.

Again, thank you, GentlemanWake, for the enlightenment.
TheGentlemanWake
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by TheGentlemanWake »

GandalfPC wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:36 am There will always be all of the decks that have ever been produced to collect, and there will most certainly always be new decks produced.

As for how long the business model of a person trying to make an entire business around making decks - that is certainly an area that only a very few can survive in. The business model evolving into a ton of variations of expensive gilded decks running into the hundreds simply doesn’t have the deep pocket audience to sustain. It also becomes apparent at some point that rather than spending 500 on a new deck campaign you can pick up a treasure from the past, or a bunch of them.

So the new must compete with the old, the other new, and the yet to come. Don’t see it ever being any easier to survive than that.
I would argue that a niche hobby needs new products to drive interest and excitement the same way it needs newcomers to the hobby. Which i think, theoretically, is the reason we've seen a drop off in the cards market. Less new folks coming into the hobby--at least in comparison to the amount of collectors leaving it.
For the best in playing cards related content:

https://www.wake.video/youtube