Why no one is printing KS decks via USPCC or Cartamundi these days?

Anything and everything playing cards!
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Why no one is printing KS decks via USPCC or Cartamundi these days?

Unread post by guru »

Hi All,

Hope you are doing great....long time..

First of all, let me give you the context. I am gearing to launch another kicksrarter project soon. Coming back after a long time and observed that most of the projects these days have been printing via WJPC. I am reaching out to printers for a quote but what has happened to USPCC, Cartamundi or Legends? Just a genuine question and enquiry.....
redux
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes

Re: Why no one is printing KS decks via USPCC or Cartamundi these days?

Unread post by redux »

Cartamundi moved their factory to Spain and they are having difficulties getting their custom playing card printing rolling again. This is causing delays for projects that are using their services. This is my perception of things. Don't know what to say about the other factories mentioned.
Adamthinks
Decks Owned: 500

Unread post by Adamthinks »

USPCC has a minimum print run of 2500 decks now, that makes them not an option for a lot of projects. I don't know why we haven't seen many people printing with Legends. They were having some bending issues on their flood foil decks, so that might be part of it.
Evilgamer

Unread post by Evilgamer »

Thirdway has and is printing a lot of KS decks with USPCC, with either WJPC or kingstar for the higher end decks.

USPCC is ok, but the options for making high end decks (foiling, gilding) is more limited vs say WJPC, who has basically become the default Cartamundi replacement. No I haven't seen anyone try legends lately.

As mentioned Cartamundi hasn't printed a deck in approaching a year at this point and wont until at least September, and no one knows what their quality is going to be when they do. They basically have burned any trust they had by not being transparent with their timelines, basically telling people about the time they were told to expect something that it would be months later. On the other hand if you want to be their guinea pig I suspect their backlog has seen a LOT of cancellation the last month or so.
RandyButterfield
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by RandyButterfield »

Hey Guru,

I still print with Legends. I’ve printed with them regularly for almost 10 years. I just did the math - 43 different Decks for a total of 77,000 Decks printed with Legends since the original Draconians in late 2014. Crazy! And that’s not counting the LUXX Decks that JP printed with Legends (just my personal designs).

In my book, they’re the most consistent with quality, production timing and communication over all the rest. USPCC is a pain to deal with (I only print with them on freelance Decks like Honeybees and Sketch / Draft, where the producer wants USPCC). Cartamundi’s communication is horrendous, so I’ll never attempt wor work with them again (I have a licensed Deck that’s still in limbo with them). I haven’t interacted with WJPC yet.

I think WJPC is just the new “cool kid” printer that people are choosing right now. A few years ago it was Cartamundi. A few years from now it will be some printer we’ve never heard of.

I’m loyal, and working with Lawrence Sullivan is a pleasure. Legends is my go to now, and for many years to come.

Thanks, Randy
BaconWise
White Whale: Gold Arabesque
Decks Owned: 225

Unread post by BaconWise »

My hope was to use Cartamundi for my cold foil special edition decks and I was willing to delay fulfillment a bit to get into their January queue. January arrived without any details on new pricing or any commitment to a printing schedule. I made the decision to switch printers. WJPC was already printing my standard edition decks and they were eager to do more for the project.

Communication is a big part of why I choose certain printers over others. WJPC has been extremely responsive and their printing quality has helped bring them to the forefront of available choices. I had two projects printed by Legends, but the communication breakdown led to errors and I got the sense they were simply too busy for a smaller creator like myself. Perhaps WJPC is heading in that direction to where smaller creators will be left hanging, but my experiences have so far been great.

USPCC has fantastic handling but the minimum print run is a non-starter for me.
"But why male models?"

Curio Playing Cards

Web: www.curioplayingcards.com
Instagram: @curio_playingcards
Facebook: Curio Playing Cards
hsbc
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Grid 1 LE
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by hsbc »

This thread has more info: https://www.unitedcardists.com/viewtopi ... 81&t=22576

Basically, Cartamundi is moving their factory and has taken much longer than expected, and they also have a new stock/finish
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
montenzi
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by montenzi »

Let's thank @Guru for discovering WJPCC for all of us!

Guru, it's your "fault" :lol:
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Thanks everyone. Interesting to see this happening. WJPC and other PRC printers used to be frowned upon earlier, and now, they have gained acceptance, it seems.
hsbc
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Grid 1 LE
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by hsbc »

BaconWise wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:35 pm USPCC has fantastic handling but the minimum print run is a non-starter for me.
What is their minimum, 1,000? 2,500? Can you share any other manufacturers' MOQs?
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

hsbc wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:16 pm
BaconWise wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:35 pm USPCC has fantastic handling but the minimum print run is a non-starter for me.
What is their minimum, 1,000? 2,500? Can you share any other manufacturers' MOQs?
It is 2500 for USPCC. WJPC - It is 500 while Legends has 1000 as the minimum. I reckon Cartamundi used to have 1000, not sure now.
zlexander

Unread post by zlexander »

guru wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:19 am Thanks everyone. Interesting to see this happening. WJPC and other PRC printers used to be frowned upon earlier, and now, they have gained acceptance, it seems.
Well those printers are now comparable or even better than USPCC , all my LotusinHand decks printed by Dex PCC Taiwan handles and feels better than most USPCC decks I have . Kingstar King Arthur deck is another one which had a unique feel and softness and the gilded kingstar decks dont feel much sticky or irritating to hold in a grip for long time . I have alot of trust in Kingstar as not a single deck from them has disappointed me yet which I can’t say for USPCC . Meanwhile excited for your new deck , Ive missed as of your previous decks, hope I will be able to snag this one !