Tale of a Card Enthusiast in the Australian Desert

Where are you from and what are your interests?
TacTwo8222
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: School of Cardistry V1
Decks Owned: 1100

Tale of a Card Enthusiast in the Australian Desert

Unread post by TacTwo8222 »

Hello everyone, you might have seen me around the place.
I go by TacTwo on this platform. 8222 is Tac2 on a phone keyboard that covers the oddity there.

Anyway my Card journey started in late 2018 in a very familiar way for a lot of us I'm sure: Chris Ramsay. Except I started with puzzles, I spent a lot of cash on puzzles in a short period of time and binged his puzzle videos like a fanatic. But the thing about puzzles is once you solve them they aren't puzzles anymore they're just fidget toys. And there's only a certain amount of Haneyama ones to collect-- I got bored.

Luckily Chris had this other obscure thing going on in his channel: Playing Cards. So I got a few decks that were all custom and eagerly awaited them while watching tutorial videos for Cardistry. Standard wait time out here for a non-express package is like 3-5 weeks so let that settle in. Now when they arrived, being all custom decks (some Technique V1s, Monarchs of course and a couple others) I was too shy to use them for fear of dropping them so I ordered a brick of Bikes (express) and the waiting game continued.

Quick note: while waiting I used the Techniques and basically immediately scattered the entire deck over a dirty floor. I was not aware of the perpetually clean floor requirement of card enthusiasm back then. Ahh the heady first experiences :)

As I was settling in this whole global event happened and I was forced indoors - you might have heard of it - I used the time to expand my knowledge of everything 'Card' and refine my techniques. Past year 5 now and I'm pretty comfortable with the modern card market and my skillset. Cards have given me greater hand eye coordination skills, greater aesthetic appreciation and by extension: hundreds of hours of work and effort. I'm still not familiar with who all the designers are and it feels like the printers never stop popping up. Plus I'm still essentially lost with anything from the vintage market and beyond but it's only five years I've got time.

With the honeymoon phase of blind enthusiasm long gone now I find joy in cards by sharing my knowledge with other people and trying to figure out the philosophical approach to "card". What they are, why they matter and what their potential is. I've always been most fond of the multipurpose nature of a playing card and trying to express that is my current challenge.

People in town know me as the Playing Card Guy. I've dropped enough of them in the grocery store and post office to earn that title. But I'm not a standard performer, I wont perform a trick for you by request but if I notice you watching me playing with a deck I might start throwing some sleights in to make you second guess your sense of reality - I'm that guy. I don't actually share my hobby with anyone IRL it's all online.

And now I'm here. I've actually been here before with google searching heaps of times but really it felt right to make an account and be known. I might even jump in on the occasional conversation here and there, I see a lot of familiar names already. (Hey everyone!)
Clean Hands Extend Deck Life
Harvonsgard
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Re: Tale of a Card Enthusiast in the Australian Desert

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

G'day mate from the other side of the globe (quite literally 😁). Thanks for sharing your story and welcome aboard.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
Timmargh
White Whale: Cartes Indiennes green back

Unread post by Timmargh »

Hello and welcome from the UK. That was a great read!
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Magician: Yes

Unread post by rousselle »

Welcome aboard!
This space intentionally left blank.
zlexander

Unread post by zlexander »

Hello , nice to see you here !
Honeybee
White Whale: Blk prototype Aviator Heritage
Decks Owned: 200

Unread post by Honeybee »

Thanks for the above bump z (I wasn't on here in May)
Hi TT, maybe we can halve postage sometimes
- you don't happen to have a spare Orbit V4 :mrgreen:
KoD - my initials, no wonder I grew up a lover of playing cards
Avatar - Honeybee (No.15+17) Tuck pic by Randy Butterfield for PM
zlexander

Unread post by zlexander »

Honeybee wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:17 pm Hi TT, maybe we can halve postage sometimes
- you don't happen to have a spare Orbit V4 :mrgreen:
I dont think Tac2 is active here , but he is active on the playing cards discord server . If you feel like joining the discord server do lmk I will share the invite link :)