:lol:
This space intentionally left blank.
Eric Lee
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Korchma Taras Bulba

Re: Portfolio52 Deck of the Year 2022

Unread post by Eric Lee »

rousselle wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:10 pm I'll note that if any of the admins/mods here at UC were involved in the committee that selected the winners of the P52 awards, nobody mentioned it to me.

It's sad that not even the admins and mods on UC were involved in this. It's his right to do however he wants as the owner, but still, it would have been nice if UC was involved in this in some small fashion to honor the legacy of the P52 awards.
hsbc
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Grid 1 LE
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by hsbc »

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR

1. Shogun by Shogun
2. Vivid Kingdoms by Ten Hundred
3. Rattler Gorge by The Card Guy
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
hsbc

Unread post by hsbc »

DECK OF THE YEAR

1. The Eye of the Ocean by Stockholm17
2. Almanac by Meadowlark / Elettra Deganello
3. Sensu by Jack Brutus Penny
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
Jocu
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer
Magician: Yes

Unread post by Jocu »

Practically missed this entirely this year. Saw no publicity about nominations or voting and even the awards themselves seemed hugely muted.

Its a shame (and I’m not just saying that because 2022 had fewer headline releases than usual from us in the calendar year) because in 2019 and 2020 it seemed like a big deal with a lot of excitement and interest. The whole point of this is not just to acknowledge creators - this is really a small part - but to engage and energise the community and attract new members to it.

I know what happened back then with Pipchick etc and this just goes to show that these things aren’t a given - they require a passionate team behind them who will put the work in.

As a creator I’d love to start a dialogue with other creators and the UC forum on how to potentially bring about a great yearly awards event akin to that of 2020. It’s clear that the DOTY has unfortunately had its day.

I must underline this is meant with no disrespect to the winners, this is purely from an organisational/promotional standpoint and measuring success from a creators point of view which is to promote the community, the art and reach as many people as possible from both inside and outside the community which helps all of us grow.
Strag
White Whale: None
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Strag »

UC DOTY was always from the community on here. Mike was passionate about it and did a lot to promote it, but the prizes for voting came from mostly this community as well as a few vendors. It wasn't "owned" by the owner of this site, other than the fact that it was essentially hosted on here. Once that last round of awards was taken from the UC community and given to Deckin Around to run (and that was a shambles as well, with many of the prizes being "won" by clearly non-collector "dupe" accounts) it lost all of its luster for me.

Interestingly they did take on some of the suggestions I made at the time, but even so its far from where it needs to be. We still have no idea who the final judges were. In any case, glad to see that Lorzeno was deservedly recognised for his amazing work and we shall see what the future holds for this series of awards.
Strag
White Whale: None
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Strag »

Just happened to notice that Deckin' Around now seems to have disappeared. They haven't done any new videos in some months and their web site is now dead. Shame that the UC DOTY was given to them and now it doesn't even exist as a thing any more. Maybe we should it back again as community run awards?
double_left

Unread post by double_left »

like a fart in the wind they've become

passion for 1-2yrs and died like uc doty awards

where kevork? he looks like the guy that has the ambition to do the thankless job
kevork
White Whale: NPCCD 17 Amethyst + Prototypes
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by kevork »

When we don't know the process of voting, and who the final judges are, the closed source process and lack of transparency doesn't spark much enthusiasm or trust. For example, Nurul runs the P52 page on Instagram and Facebook. He's also the man behind Shogun playing cards, who won P52 Rookie of the Year. Even with no shenanigans whatsoever, it's hard to tell the community there was no bias involved. Please don't get me wrong, this isn't to throw any shade, just pointing out a potential flaw in the current system.
double_left wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:39 pm where kevork? he looks like the guy that has the ambition to do the thankless job
I'd like my passion to remain long-term, so spearheading a DOTY is not something I think I have capacity for at this time without some level of burnout, especially when it requires keeping track of every deck released throughout the year. I've quit a video game that I was more-likely-than-not addicted to for the last 7 years, so maybe that'll free up some of my time, but I'm treading the detox cautiously. I appreciate the consideration, though.
Image@playingcardophile
Invisible ink. Who woulda thunk it?
[BUY] Complete Lotrek Collection
[BUY] NPCCD Decks
hsbc

Unread post by hsbc »

Yeah, there are hundreds of decks released each year, and I guarantee we're still missing some :ugthink:
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
Harvonsgard
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

Seems like the right time to introduce the "Harvys", hehe.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.