Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: 2019 NPCCD - KWP decks
Decks Owned: 200

Playing Cards VS Tarot

Unread post by laitostarr777 »

Hey guys, I've noticed that this blog also discusses about Tarot Cards, so I might just need to come up with this post:
So, to all playing cards collectors here and there: Do you collect only playing cards OR do you collect both playing cards and tarot cards?

Tell me your answers and the reasons why.

For myself, I collect both of them, but comparing the collection of them both, I only collect Tarot cards that are totally worth it - in case of design and illustrations (and need to add the well-known cards which is used worldwide - The Rider White version)
A furry who has a sona of a magician ;3
My collection - https://www.portfolio52.com/profile/16212/collection
Instagram - @laitostarr777
Harvonsgard
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Re: Playing Cards VS Tarot

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

I know that the cartomancy/divination part is more popular nowadays but tarot cards are playing cards, so there isn't really a vs.

Due to the sheer amount of poker sized decks, I mostly stick to poker sized playing cards and try to not add to much of bridge or tarot sized decks to my collection but as I mentioned in the Fyodor Tarot thread, if I had unlimited funds, I would definitely add more tarot decks to my collection. More artwork due to the trump cards and a bigger canvas due to bigger card size are reason for me to like tarot decks.

Fyodor Pavlov Tarot, UUSI Pagan Underworld, Keymaster and the True Black Tarot are must haves for me personally.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗π”₯𝔒 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬π”ͺπ”žπ”«π” π”’π”― by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: ↑Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
STLBluesNut

Unread post by STLBluesNut »

Currently, I have about 250 unique playing card decks and 0 tarot card decks. I have not really been interested in tarot card until Keymaster. That is my first tarot purchase.

I suppose it comes down to financial and interest reasons. It would be too much to collect both financially and I don't really have a connection with tarot cards. I felt like Lorenzo merged the interest in a perfect storm to overcome the financial cost.

I have seen some really cool tarot decks but generally the style isn't for me. I can feel the tarot decks trying to pry their way in though lol.

Sent from my S10+ using Tapatalk
Timmargh
White Whale: Cartes Indiennes green back

Unread post by Timmargh »

Not that I've ever really researched tarot decks as much as I have poker decks, but before Keymaster the only tarot deck I've seen and liked is The Slow Tarot by Lacey Bryant and it is, so far, the only one in my collection.
~
β˜†β˜… Wish list β˜…β˜†

Collection (inc. trade list)
Photos (UC) / Website

Social links etc.
Outsider

Unread post by Outsider »

I own a few tarot decks and have pledged for a few more recently. Compared to poker decks, tarot decks tend to cost quite a bit more, but there's also an expectation for 78 unique faces and a large card size so they also tend to look really good if well done. Some tarot decks that have taken on new themes, which I like - when I think of custom tarot decks I think of the 50 dozen of them I've seen created by amateur artists, basically none of which ever appealed to me.
Harvonsgard wrote:I mostly stick to poker sized playing cards and try to not add to much of bridge or tarot sized decks to my collection
There are collectable bridge-size decks? I have bridge decks but they're all mass produced for actual gameplay.
PiazzaDelivery

Unread post by PiazzaDelivery »

I got into card collecting by way of trying to find cool cards that would supplement my magic. I'm not well-versed in performing magic with tarot cards, so poker-size only for me.
"[...] But someday you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again."
https://www.portfolio52.com/profile/20093
hsbc
White Whale: Grid 1 LE
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by hsbc »

Outsider wrote:There are collectable bridge-size decks? I have bridge decks but they're all mass produced for actual gameplay.
The (only) recent example I can think of is the Charlie Oscar Patterson x Yolky Games bridge set - Cartamundi printed them, too :D
P52 β€’ DC β€’ IG β€’ UC β€’ r/ β€’ m/ β€’ 52+J
Harvonsgard

Outsider wrote:There are collectable bridge-size decks? I have bridge decks but they're all mass produced for actual gameplay.
Occasionally. I have the Santa Mexico (printed by Cartamundi - Mexico though) deck for example. Only because I got it for free from the creator though. He throw 2 of'em in when I ordered the Gallia Belgica deck from him.
European vintage stuff often comes in bridge size too. Other than that, there are e.g. Copag Neo bridge size plastic playing cards from Cartamundi with different custom back designs, so while they are mass produced and meant for gameplay they are still collectable.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗π”₯𝔒 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬π”ͺπ”žπ”«π” π”’π”― by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: ↑Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
markzero
Decks Owned: 58

Unread post by markzero »

I've thought about collecting them, because I've been a fan of art on cards ever since I was collecting 'nonsports trading card' sets back in the 90s. I even had a deck, my first year in college. But the per-unit cost for anything but basic Rider Waite or Crowley Thoth reprints means I'd only have one or two for a while. And, like Outsider, I don't care much for most amateur decks.

I am considering the Keymaster Tarot, but just the basic version; an extra $19 or 50% for a cardboard box is a bit much for my kind of budget :)

I'm also interested in The Urban Tarot, because it looks designed to invoke modern, inclusively-themed stories, outside of any claimed oracular functionality. I bought the Android version to play with, and it just personally clicks. There's even a collector's dilemma associated with (the print versions of) this deck: the original art for the Kickstarter version not only was bordered, but the "Tower" card was a painting of the Twin Towers on 9/11. That card has since been withdrawn and replaced, and all the cards are now borderless on the sides, for the US Games version.
relative newbie that loves transformations, vintage, and oddities. stuff on Portfolio52
Fes
White Whale: The Dude Deck

Unread post by Fes »

That supposed divination nonsense around Tarot is absolute and total hogwash. They're just playing cards most everyone on UC knows that so I won't go into it. Over the years I've figured out one thing in regards to Tarot Decks and that one thing I've figured out is this.

I'm just not a tarot deck kinda guy. Shape and size are wonky, that stupid nonsense divination crap people talk about when they see a Tarot deck. I hated being asked this question, "Would you do a reading for me?" :roll:

Anyway, I've had around a dozen tarot decks in my life and I have only two Tarot decks in my collection. The two I have are the Uusi Otherworlds Pagan tarot which is, that. Honestly if I didn't have the Pagan decks and feel like they needed to be together I wouldn't have it either. I don't care about it at all really. Now the other deck is different. I absolutely love it and will always have a spot in my collection because it cracks me up, Decameron Tarot. I have yet to pick this deck up and not have a chuckle at some of the images, they're brilliant. I love to laugh. :)

I like OZ so RJ's upcoming OZ Tarot may interest me, depends on how it looks over all, if it makes me smile enough and lastly if he's going to ship it out in a friggin plastic mailer or not. All three of those things will come into play should I choose to support it or not. I find it's more difficult for me to consider spending coin on a tarot deck in general. :|

In general beyond those two, yea I couldn't be arsed. I mean, maybe at some point in time in the future I'll pick up another five or so but will I keep them? Eh, who's to say. I try not to limit what possibilities the future will bring. ;)
TL:DR It's completely up to you.
We can still be friends.
I actually like playing cards.
We live in interesting times.
Honeybee
White Whale: Blk prototype Aviator Heritage

Unread post by Honeybee »

I have been reading a little about Tarot decks lately and so sort out a Tarot thread on UC via an advanced search by topic only - still too many hits so this one will do
For those who don't know what Fes is referring to in his opening sentence above
That supposed divination nonsense around Tarot is absolute and total hogwash. They're just playing cards most everyone on UC knows that so I won't go into it.
Here is a quote from Wiki, I know Wiki is not 'gospel' but it will do for here

These tarot cards are still used throughout much of Europe to play conventional card games.

In English-speaking countries where these games are not widely played, only specially designed cartomantic tarot cards, used primarily for novelty and divination, are readily available.[2] The early French occultists claimed that tarot cards had esoteric links to ancient Egypt, the Kabbalah, Indic Tantra, or the I Ching, claims that have been frequently repeated by authors on card divination. However, scholarly research demonstrated that tarot cards were invented in northern Italy in the mid-15th century, and confirmed that there is no historical evidence of any significant use of tarot cards for divination until the late 18th century.[2][3] Historians have described western views of the Tarot pack as "the subject of the most successful propaganda campaign ever launched... An entire false history and false interpretation of the Tarot pack was concocted by the occultists; and it is all but universally believed".[4]
KoD - my initials, no wonder I grew up a lover of playing cards
Avatar - Honeybee (No.15+17) Tuck pic by Randy Butterfield for PM
GandalfPC
White Whale: Ambergris
Decks Owned: 1700

Unread post by GandalfPC »

I have a number of Tarot decks, and a bunch of Lenormand decks - the draw for me is the use of them for introspection rather than divination. They are very well designed psychological tools, each with their own bent.

Tarot deals with archetypes and Lenormand deals with everyday situations - and they may be combined.

From Bard:

The use of Tarot and Lenormand decks in psychological settings has gained traction in recent years. Mental health professionals have found these tools to be helpful in:

Understanding unconscious conflicts and motivations
Gaining insights into personality patterns and relationship dynamics
Facilitating self-awareness and personal growth
Promoting self-reflection and exploration of emotional triggers
Providing guidance and support during challenging times
Hunting Karl Gerich and Elaine Lewis

My collection and tradelist: http://gandalfpc.great-site.net
kevork
White Whale: NPCCD 17 Amethyst + Prototypes
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by kevork »

I'm a therapist. I've supported clients when they've wanted to use tarot for their own introspection. We have clients who interact with each other so where we draw the line is when clients want to do tarot readings on each other.

I hadn't thought about using them as playing cards but playing with a Keymaster Tarot deck seems pretty badass to me. So far, I've collected very few tarot decks, with the motivator being the artwork.
Image@playingcardophile
Invisible ink. Who woulda thunk it?
[BUY] Complete Lotrek Collection
[BUY] NPCCD Decks
Honeybee
White Whale: Blk prototype Aviator Heritage

Unread post by Honeybee »

We all should be happy for people to use Tarot decks for whatever they like, I was simply interested in their history - I might have to see if I can brush up on some of these games they are used for
KoD - my initials, no wonder I grew up a lover of playing cards
Avatar - Honeybee (No.15+17) Tuck pic by Randy Butterfield for PM
Harvonsgard

I'm all for do what you like but the call me and I'll tell you your future part of Tarot culture is questionable at best. Being historically inaccurate is questionable in my book as well.
Other than that - do as you please. I like quite a lot of Oracle and Lenormand decks simply for their artwork and coherent themes. Great stuff to be found there artwise. Same goes for Tarot decks.

rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by rousselle »

"Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.” β€” Steven Wright
This space intentionally left blank.
Harvonsgard

I recall a member using this quote in his signature. Forget who it was/is πŸ€”.