Jack Brutus Penny (JBPPublishing)

These are official company threads only. Do not start new topics here.
JackBrutusPenny

Jack Brutus Penny (JBPPublishing)

Unread post by JackBrutusPenny »

I wanted to open this thread here so that anyone could reach out to me about any previous, ongoing, or future projects. Each project will most likely have it's own thread elsewhere, but here you can talk to me about any questions, desires, comments or dreams.

I am less well-known than some other creators/companies here so let me start with a small introduction. I'm Jack Brutus Penny, a nonsense writer and illustrator from the UK living in Japan. I opened my own publishing house JBPPublishing a few years back and produce all sorts of creative projects from traditional Japanese ceramic cups to novels. I am very fond of playing cards and entered the field with my project Culturae Animalis, a sustainable deck of highly detailed art cards that are themed on animals and world culture and support animal welfare worldwide. I dedicate my energies to filling all my art pieces with as much creative beauty and narrative depth as possible, and to using them to support animal welfare, the environment and other independent artists in order to build community.

I will not produce playing card projects as frequent as other creatives because of my varied works and because I dedicate a lot of time to one process (Culturae Animalis took 6 months to illustrate alone). However, I am passionate about playing cards and so plan to bring various interesting and innovative designs to you in the future.

Feel free to get in touch anytime here, through my website at http://www.jackbrutuspenny.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, or on Instagram at http://www.instagram.com/jack_brutus_penny" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very nice to meet you
BaconWise
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Gold Arabesque
Decks Owned: 225

Re: Jack Brutus Penny (JBPPublishing)

Unread post by BaconWise »

JackBrutusPenny wrote:I will not produce playing card projects as frequent as other creatives because of my varied works and because I dedicate a lot of time to one process
This is unacceptable. After Culturae Animalis, I now expect you to crank out cards and only cards, forthwith. Only slightly joking :D Welcome to the scene, my friend and I am very excited for what's next. Cheers.
"But why male models?"

Curio Playing Cards

Web: www.curioplayingcards.com
Instagram: @curio_playingcards
Facebook: Curio Playing Cards
Harvonsgard
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

JackBrutusPenny wrote:I will not produce playing card projects as frequent as other creatives ...
As a collector with limited space and funds, this is much appreciated :D . Just as much as the one deck per campaign (I know that there are two versions now but that was due to unforseen circumstances).
Since I don't back Kickstarters, I can't wait to pick up the deck at your store. Maybe I'll get a discount for opening the Culture Animalis thread here at UC :ugdance: :mrgreen:
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗π”₯𝔒 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬π”ͺπ”žπ”«π” π”’π”― by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: ↑Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
JackBrutusPenny

BaconWise wrote:
JackBrutusPenny wrote:I will not produce playing card projects as frequent as other creatives because of my varied works and because I dedicate a lot of time to one process
This is unacceptable. After Culturae Animalis, I now expect you to crank out cards and only cards, forthwith. Only slightly joking :D Welcome to the scene, my friend and I am very excited for what's next. Cheers.
Ha, I found that funny, only slightly funny ;) I have many strong ethos(es) that drive all my projects and one is always quality over quantity, but I'll do my best to keep more playing card projects coming to your doorsteps!
JackBrutusPenny

Harvonsgard wrote:
JackBrutusPenny wrote:I will not produce playing card projects as frequent as other creatives ...
As a collector with limited space and funds, this is much appreciated :D . Just as much as the one deck per campaign (I know that there are two versions now but that was due to unforseen circumstances).
Since I don't back Kickstarters, I can't wait to pick up the deck at your store. Maybe I'll get a discount for opening the Culture Animalis thread here at UC :ugdance: :mrgreen:
As I said to BaconWise, my emphasis is always on creating a product that I am truly proud to sell, and so a single project may take between half a year to a couple of years. The next playing card project is already in it's birth stages, but a way off yet. And yes, thank you for starting the thread. UC has been invaluable for me entering and learning about the playing card industry. Your steps there have truly helped me, and I also hold a lot of appreciation for many of the active members here. The cards are available for purchase now by direct contact. Please let me know if you're interested, by contact me directly on my website contact page at https://www.jackbrutuspenny.com/contact" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or directly by email at jackbrutuspenny@hotmail.com

(I'm always happy to discuss what participants [what I call 'customers' as I feel that my projects are more than a seller-buyer exchange] would like and how I can help them)
JackBrutusPenny

I'm happy to announce that while waiting for the UC 2019 votes and keeping focus on Culturae Animalis (my project of 2019) I have begun the artwork on my next 2020 playing card project and discussions with EPCC on how I can push printing to the creative limit. I will open a discussion with the community and try to involve the members here on much of the creative process - though I do prefer to keep many of my ideas for an enjoyable reveal when my design projects are complete. Feel free to contact me here on any of my work, and follow along in the new project post, giving feedback and input as much as you wih.
Attachments
EPCC Template9999.jpg
EPCC Template9999.jpg (360.75 KiB) Viewed 7956 times
EndersGame
Magician: Yes

Unread post by EndersGame »

I also want to put in a positive plug for the Culturae Animalis project.

It's a very impressive deck. Jack really gave attention to each and every aspect, right down to the packaging!
--
BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame => Playing Card Reviews <=>Magic Reviews <=> Board Game Reviews <=

JackBrutusPenny

I hope everyone is well. I have been hidden away working on my design projects through the Covid lockdowns and complications, and am ready to begin slowly revealing what is coming in my next deck. I will make occasional posts here to try to keep those interested up to date, but please do check in on me at Instagram to have the most frequent details shared. Feel free to contact me directly on any forum, though I am still getting familiar with the UC website mechanics so if you do not receive a response from me here, please do try elsewhere.
JackBrutusPenny

The new deck back design ready to be shared.
Attachments
card back.jpg
EndersGame

Unread post by EndersGame »

I look forward to learning more about what you have planned!
--
BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame => Playing Card Reviews <=>Magic Reviews <=> Board Game Reviews <=

Strag
White Whale: None
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Strag »

Beautiful back design
JackBrutusPenny

Strag wrote: ↑Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:39 am Beautiful back design
EndersGame wrote: ↑Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:19 am I look forward to learning more about what you have planned!
Thank you both - I look forward to revealing more to you soon on the progression of the deck.
saulriffel
White Whale: STEVE MINTY Z
Decks Owned: 310

Unread post by saulriffel »

Nice design, also, I loved the color palette you used, I would describe it as cozy and comfortable.
Looking forward to see more!

(BTW, Culturae animalis is one of the decks in my collection that people gets more impressed)
att. Saul Riffel Instsgram: baloocards
JackBrutusPenny

saulriffel wrote: ↑Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:54 pm Nice design, also, I loved the color palette you used, I would describe it as cozy and comfortable.
Looking forward to see more!

(BTW, Culturae animalis is one of the decks in my collection that people gets more impressed)
That's wonderful to hear. I'm eager to show you more to come, and I'm delighted Culturae Animalis receives such reactions!
JackBrutusPenny

Please always feel free to reach out to me here or on other social media or on my website. I have created a new thread for the new deck that is now is pre-launch at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ja ... enny/sensu and will be going live on 1 May. The new campaign and deck will also integrate the first deck Culturae Animalis in deep and meaningful ways.
JackBrutusPenny

The Sensu deck is still in production and I'm working hard of bringing all those elements together. The byobu folding screens handmade in Kyoto are already being created and I have received the first shipment. I'll be opening a new page for beginning the groundwork concepts for the next project (perhaps a year or two from now) [which forum section would be best for this?]. But here is the first sample I can share for the concept work. Playing with font styles and trying to balance the Japanese and whimsical themes with avoiding appearing too gimmicky or even childish. Thoughts are welcome.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-08-02 at 8.34.10.png
Harvonsgard
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

I'd say draft board and the third (right) index πŸ˜ƒ.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗π”₯𝔒 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬π”ͺπ”žπ”«π” π”’π”― by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: ↑Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
GandalfPC
White Whale: Ambergris
Decks Owned: 1700

Unread post by GandalfPC »

1st or 3rd work for me, but I’ll take a brick of whatever you go with :)
Hunting Karl Gerich and Elaine Lewis

My collection and tradelist: http://gandalfpc.great-site.net
wingedpotato
White Whale: Cardistry-Con Tally Ho 2018
Decks Owned: 600

Unread post by wingedpotato »

Going off just one letter, I like the third the best, but it would depend on how the numbers and J and Q look also.
"I have no response to that."

https://portfolio52.com/profile/1230
JackBrutusPenny

Cheers everyone for your input, always helpful. Sorry for taking my time checkin in here. Below I'll post some new information on the project in making. And in the Sensu channel I'll post some new information also.
Harvonsgard wrote: ↑Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:44 pm I'd say draft board and the third (right) index πŸ˜ƒ.
Thank you for your feedback and sorry for my slow response! Noted!
GandalfPC wrote: ↑Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:52 pm 1st or 3rd work for me, but I’ll take a brick of whatever you go with :)
Great, thank you for the feedback. And I really appreciate the vote of confidence and support in my artwork!
wingedpotato wrote: ↑Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:56 am Going off just one letter, I like the third the best, but it would depend on how the numbers and J and Q look also.
Thank you for the feedback! Absolutely, the Q actually is more interesting to consider in this run.
JackBrutusPenny

While I work on Sensu production and fulfilment (see the Sensu project page), I have been working on the next deck. It usually take me about a year of full-time work to design a deck and the next will be no different. Full-bleed, hand-drawn art pieces on each card, and each card will be full of visual riddles from proverbs to idioms and more. What can you find in this piece so far?
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-10-05 at 9.34.47.png