Zodiac Signs Playing Cards by Roman Kotiv

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
CBJ
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 2000

Bicycle Year Of The Dog - Kickstarter

Unread post by CBJ »

Jay
CBJ

Are you a Bicycle collector? Come join the Facebook group: www.BicycleCardCollectors.com
badpete69
Decks Owned: 1500

Re: Bicycle Year Of The Dog - Kickstarter

Unread post by badpete69 »

Boy I am glad I am not a Bicycle Deck collector hehehehe
theCapraAegagrus

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

I've seen worse, and @ $11 a deck, I think it'll fund.

The backs would look much nicer without the unnecessary red "hue" incorporated.

The artwork is good, but the corner pips are waaaaay too large.

Edit: I also think black as the background 'color' doesn't flatter anything.
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Räpylätassu
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

Those doggos look weird, not cute. Doggos should look cute.
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
CBJ
Decks Owned: 2000

Unread post by CBJ »

badpete69 wrote:Boy I am glad I am not a Bicycle Deck collector hehehehe
Funny man lol
CBJ

Are you a Bicycle collector? Come join the Facebook group: www.BicycleCardCollectors.com
Bikefanatic
Decks Owned: 333

Unread post by Bikefanatic »

This deck is absolutely horrendous! The artwork doesn't save it just because it's colourful, it looks too cluttered. The backs and the faces don't even look like they go together.

The best looking Chinese zodiac animal deck yet is the Bicycle Goat Deco. Whoever makes a Year Of The Rat deck, it better look superb.
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

*MY PORTFOLIO52 PROFILE https://portfolio52.com/profile/26674

* MY SELLER REVIEW viewtopic.php?f=28&t=16586
vedus

Unread post by vedus »

Good concept. Solid core art. Terrible execution. This feels like a CPC theme.
Merlebird
White Whale: Moon Prism + Dondorf Saks
Decks Owned: 212

Unread post by Merlebird »

Every time I look at this deck I find something new about it to dislike.
  • I can't even comment on the quality of the lineart because it's so difficult to make out through the oversaturated color palette. If I have to run your image through an editor and hit "Inverse Colors" before I'm sure you haven't already done that to get what you're showing me, something's wrong.
  • I think putting legends ("lucky direction," "Unlucky number," "Compatibility trio") on all of the cards would be bad. I think putting them on only some of the cards is worse.
  • I have no problem with one-way backs if they're done purposefully and done well. Taking a serviceable two-way back and making it one-way by slapping "HANDCRAFTED CARD" on half of it is... basically the complete opposite of both of those things.
theCapraAegagrus

Merlebird wrote:Every time I look at this deck I find something new about it to dislike.
  • I can't even comment on the quality of the lineart because it's so difficult to make out through the oversaturated color palette. If I have to run your image through an editor and hit "Inverse Colors" before I'm sure you haven't already done that to get what you're showing me, something's wrong.
  • I think putting legends ("lucky direction," "Unlucky number," "Compatibility trio") on all of the cards would be bad. I think putting them on only some of the cards is worse.
  • I have no problem with one-way backs if they're done purposefully and done well. Taking a serviceable two-way back and making it one-way by slapping "HANDCRAFTED CARD" on half of it is... basically the complete opposite of both of those things.
I did not even realize this. It's hideous. They're not even handcrafted. They're printed by USPCC...
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Bikefanatic
Decks Owned: 333

Unread post by Bikefanatic »

vedus wrote:Good concept. Solid core art. Terrible execution. This feels like a CPC theme.

That's because it is CPC! We'll get a good themed deck after the next 8.
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

*MY PORTFOLIO52 PROFILE https://portfolio52.com/profile/26674

* MY SELLER REVIEW viewtopic.php?f=28&t=16586
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

TwoPieceFeed wrote:
Merlebird wrote:Every time I look at this deck I find something new about it to dislike.
I did not even realize this. It's hideous. They're not even handcrafted. They're printed by USPCC...
Looks like they went to the Ellusionist school of advertising :lol: A few years back there were really cool Chinese zodiac decks (Serpent, Warrior Horse, etc.) but for some reason the monkey was skipped and now this... I want to like it so much but dear God.
Merlebird
White Whale: Moon Prism + Dondorf Saks
Decks Owned: 212

Unread post by Merlebird »

TwoPieceFeed wrote:I did not even realize this. It's hideous. They're not even handcrafted. They're printed by USPCC...
Lovingly Handcrafted by USPCC Diecutter #17

If it makes you feel any better I didn't notice the one-way back until my second or third pass, either; I was a little distracted by the, ah, color scheme (about which the less I say, the better).

This may be my own ignorance - I'm not an expert in traditional Chinese art by any means - but does anybody know if dogs in that aesthetic always look like Splinter from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, or just these?
4.of.Clubs

Unread post by 4.of.Clubs »

Merlebird wrote:
TwoPieceFeed wrote:I did not even realize this. It's hideous. They're not even handcrafted. They're printed by USPCC...

If it makes you feel any better I didn't notice the one-way back until my second or third pass, either; I was a little distracted by the, ah, color scheme (about which the less I say, the better).

This may be my own ignorance - I'm not an expert in traditional Chinese art by any means - but does anybody know if dogs in that aesthetic always look like Splinter from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, or just these?
I'm Chinese and this isn't close to traditional Chinese art...
----------> Check out the decks I have for sale! <----------
----------> Also check out my Trade List and Wish List, maybe we can make a deal! <----------
theCapraAegagrus

4.of.Clubs wrote:
Merlebird wrote:

I'm Chinese and this isn't close to traditional Chinese art...
What about this one?

♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Eric Lee
White Whale: Korchma Taras Bulba

Bicycle "Lunar & Zodiac" series launching soon

Unread post by Eric Lee »

Just found this. A new designer, Nomads Playing Cards will be launching their "Year of the Dog" and "Year of the Pig" deck as part of their Lunar and Zodiac series of 12 deck. These are "Decks dedicated to Zodiac animals of Asian Lunar Calendar. First 2 decks from 12 series"

Nice to see the Far East Zodiacs being represented after the slew of western zodiac projects. (No bias whatsoever, nope, none at all :ugdance: )

Check out the prelaunch page:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/15 ... n=b70f51cf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

YotD Tuck
YotD Tuck
YD box.jpg (117.79 KiB) Viewed 2785 times
YotD courts
YotD courts
YotP box
YotP box
Yp box.jpg (124.13 KiB) Viewed 2785 times
YotP courts
YotP courts
theCapraAegagrus

Re: Bicycle "Lunar & Zodiac" series launching soon

Holy crap, these look f^&*ing amazing. I would prefer the back to have some design variation, though, more than just a color swap.

Can USPCC really maintain those borders, though?
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by shermjack »

Eric Lee wrote:Just found this. A new designer, Nomads Playing Cards will be launching their "Year of the Dog" and "Year of the Pig" deck as part of their Lunar and Zodiac series of 12 deck. These are "Decks dedicated to Zodiac animals of Asian Lunar Calendar. First 2 decks from 12 series"

Nice to see the Far East Zodiacs being represented after the slew of western zodiac projects. (No bias whatsoever, nope, none at all :ugdance: )
I wouldn’t jump to the conclusion that these decks are from the Far East and not from the West...the Year of the Dog deck is an improved re-design of a deck launched on KS in February by CPC...the creators actually thank Mike Guistolse of CPC.

You can find the UC thread here (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11163&p=126646&hili ... og#p126646" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and the original KS project here (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cp ... u?ref=card" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

As for the re-design, the back is much better and going with a white background is definitely an improvement, but the tuck box definitely still needs work. It is interesting that the fulfillment is being done by Gamblers instead of CPC.

I am still on the fence with this one. :ugthink:
A deck a day helps keep the addiction at bay!

Check out my collection on Instagram @caratcasecreations
vedus

Unread post by vedus »

Hmm. I haven't backed anything in weeks. This may change that.
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

These do look really good. I would suggest that they give a price break for those purchasing bricks or other larger orders. In fact, they should also have a half-brick option. I would suggest they let backers mix/match either of the two decks in those multiple tiers to keep things simple. Also a four deck option would be something I would prefer (two of each). I will have to also see what shipping is, but definitely interested.
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
CupcakeBaron

Unread post by CupcakeBaron »

I liked the cards until I saw the animal depictions on the number cards... I'm a wee bit traumatized :lol:
theCapraAegagrus

CupcakeBaron wrote:I liked the cards until I saw the animal depictions on the number cards... I'm a wee bit traumatized :lol:
Ah, crap, I thought those were some Jokers/gaffs.

Kinda ruins the deck...
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

Dang, I didn't see that either. Yeah, the animals on the number cards don't add to the cards IMHO. Also, I am not a fan at all of having different colors of backs within the same deck. That essentially marks the deck and kills it for game play. As an art deck, it looks really nice (without said animals on the number cards). There is a LOT of good to work with here.
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
Azid

Unread post by Azid »

"It is selected already colors of backs of all 12 decks."

As far as i understand this pic shows the different back colors for each of the 12 decks in the series, and not different colors in one deck.

I'm not interested in these decks at all for some reasons.
- the back design looks nice at a first look, very classic, only 1 color and with lot of details but it doesn't fit the colorful courts which have the look of a fantasy deck.
- i don't like the idea of placing animals on each number card, some may find this cool others like me don't.
- 12 times the same back design in differnt colors for a theme like that ? no thanks, do a least some little changes like "The Planets" by Vanda. Maybe replace that head (wich looks to me like that one from the ZEN decks) with the theme of the deck (dog, pig, .....)
theCapraAegagrus

Azid wrote: - i don't like the idea of placing animals on each number card, some may find this cool others like me don't.
- 12 times the same back design in differnt colors for a theme like that ? no thanks, do a least some little changes like "The Planets" by Vanda. Maybe replace that head (wich looks to me like that one from the ZEN decks) with the theme of the deck (dog, pig, .....)
EXACTLY my thinking here.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Räpylätassu
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

TwoPiece wrote:
CupcakeBaron wrote:I liked the cards until I saw the animal depictions on the number cards... I'm a wee bit traumatized :lol:
Ah, crap, I thought those were some Jokers/gaffs.

Kinda ruins the deck...
I don't think it ruins the deck, but it is a rather strange choise
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
Eric Lee
White Whale: Korchma Taras Bulba

Unread post by Eric Lee »

[/quote]

I wouldn’t jump to the conclusion that these decks are from the Far East and not from the West...the Year of the Dog deck is an improved re-design of a deck launched on KS in February by CPC...the creators actually thank Mike Guistolse of CPC.

You can find the UC thread here (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11163&p=126646&hili ... og#p126646" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.) and the original KS project here (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cp ... u?ref=card" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.).

As for the re-design, the back is much better and going with a white background is definitely an improvement, but the tuck box definitely still needs work. It is interesting that the fulfillment is being done by Gamblers instead of CPC.

I am still on the fence with this one. :ugthink:[/quote]

Yes I recall the original project now that you reminded us. It is so much better, like night and day (or black and white in this case) Glad they switched to white instead of black. Thanks for putting up the original links.

BTW, I had meant it was nice seeing Far East designs , not so much designers. Although it would be even better if we had both. :D Interestingly, I would have expected Bocopo or another Asian designer to do this and not CPC. Still nice to see CPC stretching their creativity more than just putting out the usual JAB designs (Joker, Ace, Backs)
tmbdp2001
White Whale: Fraggle Rock
Decks Owned: 103

Unread post by tmbdp2001 »

The number cards would look a lot better without the animal pictures on them. I was born in a Year of the Pig, so I will probably pick one of those up to go with the Virgo deck I have.
"Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth."
Casual Pixels
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by Casual Pixels »

The pip cards are a huge turnoff. I like pretty much everything else about these.

I might have picked one up anyway, except that there's no way I'm going in for only part of the set and no way I'm going in for that many decks with pips cards like those.
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

If there were just going to be one of these done really well I would definitely be in. And it wouldn't need too much more to make one of these really great. But I just can't be on board with 12.
flashcards
Cardist: Yes
Decks Owned: 600

Unread post by flashcards »

They are live now. I was really looking forward to this deck. I like the Mongolian style of the courts and the back design. Bicycle branded as well. I was born in the Year of the Dog and my wife was born in the Year of the Pig so the 2 deck set was a natural. The price was within my range also. However, the number cards just completely ruined it for me. To go from the beautiful stylized courts to having realistic dogs and pigs sticking their heads out at the sides of the number cards is just too jarring. Seriously, it almost makes me ill to look at them. The pip layout itself is quite good. I could live without the "good friends with ..." at the top and bottom of the cards as well but even that would not be a deal breaker by istself. Leave out the heads and I'm definitely in for a pair. As it is...ugggh.