Savage Majesty; the fantasy creature playing card deck

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
MightyMae

Savage Majesty; the fantasy creature playing card deck

Unread post by MightyMae »

Hello!

My name is Leslie Casilli, and I am the artist behind the playing card deck "Savage Majesty" that is live on Kickstarter right now!

If you are interested in high fantasy creatures and a classically inspired deck, please check it out here:

Thank you soo much <3
Attachments
Day 1.jpg
Räpylätassu
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937
Decks Owned: 700

Re: Savage Majesty; the fantasy creature playing card deck

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

My mind when on first sight of the project page: "Okay, another dragon fantasy deck by some first time designer, yeah this is going to be cra... oh."

Although this is not really my cup of tea, the design is great. The courts, the Aces, the pips, the Jokers, the use of color... this is honestly splendid work. Not entierly sold on the back design, but it's okay I guess, just doesn't rise to the level of the rest of the deck.

Many similar fantasy decks have the same problem, that although the design is techinally good, it looks cheap. You know, something you can't really pinpoint but just feel from the design. This deck however does not have that problem.

There are countless of decks in my collection that I haven't gotten initally but later on slowly warmed to the deck, I wonder if this one is one of those.
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
theCapraAegagrus

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

Räpylätassu wrote:My mind when on first sight of the project page: "Okay, another dragon fantasy deck by some first time designer, yeah this is going to be cra... oh."

Although this is not really my cup of tea, the design is great. The courts, the Aces, the pips, the Jokers, the use of color... this is honestly splendid work. Not entierly sold on the back design, but it's okay I guess, just doesn't rise to the level of the rest of the deck.

Many similar fantasy decks have the same problem, that although the design is techinally good, it looks cheap. You know, something you can't really pinpoint but just feel from the design. This deck however does not have that problem.

There are countless of decks in my collection that I haven't gotten initally but later on slowly warmed to the deck, I wonder if this one is one of those.
I'm gonna piggyback on your post:

Plus: Actual effort put into the art (a seemingly rare feat recently). Court cards are well done. Tuck case looks pretty good.

Minus: number cards have a little too much going on. Could probably ease this with more transparency on the background red/blue design. Back design is mediocre.

$15 is pretty steep for a new artist printing w/LPCC.
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
MightyMae

Unread post by MightyMae »

Thank you both for your feedback!
I am sorry that you both dislike the card back. It honestly took me the most time out of any of the designs, so it is a little disappointing to hear that people don't like it. Would you mind elaborating on what it is you don't like about it, or how I might improve on the design? I appreciate the help! :)

Also, I would like to thank you for the positive words about the deck as well!
Räpylätassu
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

I wouldn't say that I dislike the card back, it's not bad by any means, it just does not quite rise to the level of the rest of the deck. I don't think that you even have to do anything about it, almost every deck, even the absolute best ones, usually has some part of the design that could use an improvment.
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
portcullis
Decks Owned: 440

Unread post by portcullis »

Räpylätassu wrote:My mind when on first sight of the project page: "Okay, another dragon fantasy deck by some first time designer, yeah this is going to be cra... oh."
# Twilight Zone theme #

I like this deck, but as others have said, there's a bit too much going on. That said, I love this artwork. The clubs A and pips particularly.
theCapraAegagrus

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

Räpylätassu wrote:I wouldn't say that I dislike the card back, it's not bad by any means, it just does not quite rise to the level of the rest of the deck. I don't think that you even have to do anything about it, almost every deck, even the absolute best ones, usually has some part of the design that could use an improvment.
We agree again (mostly).

I could honestly live with the number cards. The back design, however, is just off. It 'feels' like a two-way design but it isn't. I'm a fan of decks where the courts match the lineup of the backs. Chris Ovdiyenko's Arcana are one-way courts with one-way backs. Most decks are two-way courts with two-way backs. Etc.

TL;DR: Make the back design two-way.
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Re: Savage Majesty; the fantasy creature playing card deck (

Unread post by Bradius »

My decks arrived. The tuck looks nice. If anyone opens their decks, I would appreciate hearing your thoughts on the cards.
EndersGame
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes

Unread post by EndersGame »

I just picked up a copy of this deck. I figured I'd add some stock images to this thread, since there aren't any here yet.

Hearts: The Phoenix

Spades: The Dragon

Diamonds: The Jazzercorn

Clubs: The Zeffur

Number cards

Jokers: The Jackalope

Back design

--
BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame => Playing Card Reviews <=>Magic Reviews <=> Board Game Reviews <=

STLBluesNut

Unread post by STLBluesNut »

pretty nice. i would buy those.
BaconWise
White Whale: Gold Arabesque
Decks Owned: 225

Unread post by BaconWise »

I picked these up for my daughter about two years ago and I was really impressed. Not only with the artwork but with the holo shimmer. Really great deck
"But why male models?"

Curio Playing Cards

Web: www.curioplayingcards.com
Instagram: @curio_playingcards
Facebook: Curio Playing Cards