UC2018 Decks "DeNovo" by Rick Davidson

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
RickDavidson
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Re: UC2018 Sixth Annual Decks "DeNovo" by Rick Davidson

Unread post by RickDavidson »

First time I’ve had a request for NZ dollars ;). But yes the campaign will be, no choice for me there unfortunately. I’m still finalising details, but I’ll get more information posted soon. Also tuning the art so will post an update when I can.
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

RickDavidson wrote:First time I’ve had a request for NZ dollars ;). But yes the campaign will be, no choice for me there unfortunately. I’m still finalising details, but I’ll get more information posted soon. Also tuning the art so will post an update when I can.
Any UC member perks, Rick??
flashcards
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Decks Owned: 600

Unread post by flashcards »

It looks awesome. I'm especially happy about the UC green. And the QofC with the scar. There is a story there, I'm guessing.
portcullis
Decks Owned: 440

Unread post by portcullis »

RickDavidson wrote:First time I’ve had a request for NZ dollars ;). But yes the campaign will be, no choice for me there unfortunately. I’m still finalising details, but I’ll get more information posted soon. Also tuning the art so will post an update when I can.
:ugdance: :ugdance: :ugdance:
Well this is worthy of headline news: Australian cardist gets better than fair exchange rate.
RickDavidson
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Hey guys,

Working hard on finalising the campaign before the weekend. Here is a quick update on the how the face cards are evolving and a little promo video. I'm working on what little extra I could drop in for UC members yes, happy to hear thoughts on what you might like to see there ;)

[youtube]https://youtu.be/VkqRJuu1Kk4[/youtube]

https://youtu.be/VkqRJuu1Kk4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
portcullis
Decks Owned: 440

Unread post by portcullis »

Yep, loving these Rick. Colours - I presume it's the UC deck on the left - have scrubbed up well! What time you launching? NZ time is fine, I'm only 2 hours behind.
Merlebird
White Whale: Moon Prism + Dondorf Saks
Decks Owned: 212

Unread post by Merlebird »

I'm not crazy about the... alt-index(? the KS/QH thing) in the right-hand corner of the cards. Is that just a guide you're using during the WIP or is that intended to be a final feature?

I also think I liked the simple diagonal backdrop for the faces better than the irregular hexagon; the latter doesn't really add anything and I think the former was better for balancing the composition.
Bradius
Player: Yes
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

I like all aspects of the design. The video sets this up nicely. The KS and QH in the corners is , I think, trying to envision what future card decks might look like. It adds a unique element, and I like it. I just wish my bank account was as ready as I am.
wingedpotato
White Whale: Cardistry-Con Tally Ho 2018
Decks Owned: 600

Unread post by wingedpotato »

Merlebird wrote:I'm not crazy about the... alt-index(? the KS/QH thing) in the right-hand corner of the cards. Is that just a guide you're using during the WIP or is that intended to be a final feature?

I also think I liked the simple diagonal backdrop for the faces better than the irregular hexagon; the latter doesn't really add anything and I think the former was better for balancing the composition.
I do like the alt-index myself, but I totally agree about the new backdrop. I prefer all the others you've shown over this one. Seems to suck the composition inward.
"I have no response to that."

https://portfolio52.com/profile/1230
Smocito

Unread post by Smocito »

I like the red but I also liked the previous orange on the King of Spades. Or is that a different version?
Merlebird

wingedpotato wrote:I do like the alt-index myself, but I totally agree about the new backdrop. I prefer all the others you've shown over this one.
Okay, I myself totally forgot that there had been more than one backdrop shown because they were all on different pages, so I'm taking the liberty of aggregating them here, numbered in the order they appeared in the thread:

Backdrop Preview #1
Backdrop Preview #2
Backdrop Preview #3
Backdrop Preview #4
My personal thoughts, in no particular order that makes sense to anyone but me:
  • #1 was a great starting point: it doesn't enhance the courts, but it does balance the composition of the faces by acting as a kind of counterweight to the indices. I think you could do better, but you could also do worse.
  • #4 does, as wingedpotato said, suck the eye inward, toward the join in the center of the card, rather than along the length of the figure as it should. It also makes the negative space around the alt-indices look vast and empty - and I think enlarging them to compensate would just make the face look cluttered, like too many icons on a desktop. (I'm also not a fan of the large pip to the right of the main index, but that's a personal preference.)
  • #3 has the balancing effect of #1, with the added visual interest created by the circuit motif. The way it frames the indices - including the enlarged pips, which I do actually like here - also contributes a pleasing illusion of depth. I might like to see you play around with the color a bit - perhaps a further desaturated version of the muted gold in #1? - but there's a lot to like about it as is.
  • #2 is easily my favorite, though I think you could do without the second pip inside the frame. As it's the most visually commanding of the backdrops, you would need to be careful that it worked well with the composition of each court, and perhaps make some adjustments to that end, but I think the final product would be worth the effort.
  • I don't want to be melodramatic, but I didn't think the color scheme used for the QoH in #2 needed an improvement, and even if I did I don't think #4 would be one. The reds and blacks in #2 were much more appealing, and even the gold tones looked better. The purple is just too much. (In a minor variation of the same theme, I also thought the green sleeves on the QoC looked better than the blue, but again, personal preference.)
Edit: Clarified what I was talking about in my last point by adding the specific reference to the QoH.
RickDavidson
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Funnily enough, I was planning to compile the four variations tonight for feedback. Thank you Merle ;)

My original - #2 - is still my preference, but tends to be swallowed up by the art on some cards. I may go back to that one and work it up in grey, but happy to hear additional thoughts before I finalise the design. Thanks for taking the time to feedback guys. Thoughts on the 'alt-index' welcome too
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by shermjack »

I, too, prefer design #2 of all of them, but feel that there is a little too much white space...maybe enlarge the gold frame to cover more of the card, which might also prevent the art swallowing it up.
A deck a day helps keep the addiction at bay!

Check out my collection on Instagram @caratcasecreations
caniveski
White Whale: Bicycle Burton
Decks Owned: 800

Unread post by caniveski »

The courts look really good. Love the clubs and diamonds... Looking forward into the future i would be pleased with how clubs and diamond pips turned out but not not really hearts or spades. Strangely i like grey background of no. 3.....i will be adding to the collection
sms69x
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by sms69x »

First I realy like the new color scheme for the red edition, way better than before.

As for the background, I think it would be a great idea to incorporate the UC forum background in it, much like how Randy did for the first Annual UC deck. This would be a great feature and would really tie up the deck with the UC forum, just having a deck in UC green isn't enough (in my opinion) to call it UC Annual deck.

This deck looks fantastic, despite being the UC2018 Annual deck or not, I will get it either way...
intlgrrl
White Whale: MAD DECK by Ozlem Olcer
Decks Owned: 256

Unread post by intlgrrl »

Love the design and detail of this deck... looking forward to the KS campaign
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

I'm with shermjack on his thoughts of design #2. The 6 sided background feels odd to me while #2 has a classy, regal look.

Removing the QH, KH, etc. in corners looks better in my opinion.
Move on, nothing to see here.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

I actually prefer the six sided over the rectangular shape. I'd like to see a six sided version of #2 :)
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
alric

Unread post by alric »

RichK wrote:I'm with shermjack on his thoughts of design #2. The 6 sided background feels odd to me while #2 has a classy, regal look.

Removing the QH, KH, etc. in corners looks better in my opinion.
I like the extra indices in the corners. I noticed a lot of the European decks have indices on all 4 corners and I think it adds more playability to the cards as well as balance out the face design in some cases. Plus, with indices/pips in all 4 corners, you can have 2-way fanning on both the backs and fronts of the cards. Now the possible downside of this is that you lose the face up blank fan on reverse 1-handed fans so magicians may not be able to perform certain tricks. Either way, this deck is turning out to be a must own.
Bradius

Unread post by Bradius »

Rick could hand-draw some stars in the background for all I care. His Queen of Hearts/“Zorg” sealed it for me. Whenever I look at her now, I see Zorg! Lol
Merlebird

Bradius wrote:Rick could hand-draw some stars in the background for all I care. His Queen of Hearts/“Zorg” sealed it for me.
QoH Zorg is a peroxide blonde now and I lowkey hate it :? I thought the OG QoH was beautiful just the way she was... I do like the brow-mounted wearable Purple Zorg is sporting, but that's about it.
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

Guys and gals, the annual deck always depends on the members getting behind it and being there at the start, but these are just gorgeous and I think we should be having a great year!

Don't forget - noon Saturday. It will be on Rick's KS account. See you all there.
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Mike Ratledge wrote:Guys and gals, the annual deck always depends on the members getting behind it and being there at the start, but these are just gorgeous and I think we should be having a great year!

Don't forget - noon Saturday. It will be on Rick's KS account. See you all there.

Awesome Mike.

I've started getting pretty good shipping rates applied on my account from the fulfilment partner that I work with, so please feel free to give a shout out if you'd like to use a different fulfilment company this time around, or at least, get the shipping for International backers done by a different entity rather than Gamblers Warehouse. Shipping cost will reduce for sure and International backers will receive their rewards faster with full tracking (automated emails with tracking# will also be sent to everyone) and securely packaged.
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

guru wrote:
Mike Ratledge wrote:Guys and gals, the annual deck always depends on the members getting behind it and being there at the start, but these are just gorgeous and I think we should be having a great year!

Awesome Mike.

I've started getting pretty good shipping rates applied on my account from the fulfilment partner that I work with, so please feel free to give a shout out if you'd like to use a different fulfilment company this time around, or at least, get the shipping for International backers done by a different entity rather than Gamblers Warehouse. Shipping cost will reduce for sure and International backers will receive their rewards faster with full tracking (automated emails with tracking# will also be sent to everyone) and securely packaged.
Shoot Rick an email, Sunish. >>==--> rick@rickdavidson.com

If he can save $$ on shipping, that's always a good thing!
>Mike<
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
intlgrrl
White Whale: MAD DECK by Ozlem Olcer
Decks Owned: 256

Unread post by intlgrrl »

Backdrops #1 and #3 are the ones I like the most
JuFiN
White Whale: Delirium Signature
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by JuFiN »

I like backdrop #1 and #3, The idea of putting "initials" for the cards in grey in the right corners from #4 is kinda cool as well.

Also preferred QoH with black hair as well for what its worth.
Bradius

Unread post by Bradius »

I just realized the QoH is blond now. Yes, I preferred her brunette and more Zorg like. Loving the deck though.
RickDavidson
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Haha excellent, thank you guys. Great feedback - brunette it is. I tend to go through a range of options, sometimes I come back to where I started. And always looking for cheaper shipping, outlandish sometimes. I'll check that out, thx :)
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

Thanks Rick for Queen Zorg! Now to get you creators to make other similar Fifth Element courts. :D
Move on, nothing to see here.
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

Boys and Girls of all ages: we are down to a little more than four hours before we launch the DeNovo / UC2018 decks on Kickstarter.

Having reviewed the page, there is at least one goodie in there that I have not revealed. It has to do with the process / production of the decks.

Rick is going to be the first to use this. Hmmm... A lot of you will be stoked!

Hope to see you all at noon or shortly after!

Here's a couple quick looks at the perspective of the Viridi deck model:
PSX_20180217_075945.jpg
PSX_20180217_080846.jpg
As always, Rick does not miss a thing, and attention to the details is fantastic art!
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<