Deck of the Year 2017 Contest?

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
sinjin7
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 1500

Deck of the Year 2017 Contest?

Unread post by sinjin7 »

Shouldn't we be ramping up for the 2017 DOTY contest? We probably should've started weeks ago. It would be nice to have the list of eligible decks in place and plenty of time for people/designers/companies to donate prizes. Last year it seemed most of the prizes were put up by members, I would like to see more of a push to see if we can get designers and companies to contribute as well.
Azazaaz
Magician: Yes
White Whale: CERN
Decks Owned: 900

Re: Deck of the Year 2017 Contest?

Unread post by Azazaaz »

Give the awards to Lotrek. Done.

Seriously, we should do this, it's a nice thing for the card collecting community and good publicity for our favorite designers.
Alex
Bruno
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Bruno »

Waiting for these :-

Best Hair (Lotrek)
Best Procrastinator (Lotrek)
Best Most Decks on a Theme (Tied, wait up, Giovanni/Lotrek)
&co, &co etc.

Get on it sinjin .... :D
O, I beg of you your comprehensions,
yet laugh at your contempts ....
my only competition is with myselves.

But Lèse-majesté, especially >Normans, natch.

Is jarnstill the Ars of the Hors Nebulous ?
Neigh .... the Effluxor of the Omniverse ??
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

Lotrek may be made of gold and silver, that is no lie. But, Alex did wrap his cards in suits fit for a king. Lorenzo made magic with twins in the heavens.

Dang, what did you do to me Bruno?
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

Bradius wrote:Lotrek may be made of gold and silver, that is no lie. But, Alex did wrap his cards in suits fit for a king. Lorenzo made magic with twins in the heavens.

Dang, what did you do to me Bruno?
This is what's known as "The Bruno Effect". We're not yet sure what causes it, but possible factors include a high exposure to Bruno's posts, copious amounts of alcohol, and various psychedelic drugs. Early reports indicate that this effect is temporary, unless your name is Bruno.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
Bruno

Unread post by Bruno »

Baby, that was years ago .... **
(You shoulda been there, Tom)

Young Brad is onto it ....
Purely poetry and license, not neccessarily entwined ....

.... for those un-australians, ** 'Cold Chisel - Cheap Wine'
Chisel second only to AckerDacka !*
See *Powderfinger-*INXS-*Midnight Oil *&co*&co*&co

But enough of this guff, back to our theme .... :D

alric

Unread post by alric »

sinjin7 wrote:Shouldn't we be ramping up for the 2017 DOTY contest? We probably should've started weeks ago. It would be nice to have the list of eligible decks in place and plenty of time for people/designers/companies to donate prizes. Last year it seemed most of the prizes were put up by members, I would like to see more of a push to see if we can get designers and companies to contribute as well.
There are a lot of deck artists who get great support from united cardists, so you would think they'd be happy to support this site. There are others who would greatly benefit by getting publicity and good will, even if its a small donation. We used to get a lot of support in the prizes for this contest from deck artists and companies in the past, it'd be nice to see that again. Now I want to make one thing crystal clear: I'm not whining about the prizes for this contest, the united cardists deck of the year contest is still the best out there, hands down, and its great that so many members donate so generously to keep this contest so great. And to the artists who have continued donating to this contest, my hats off to you and please be assured we remember here. I'm just saying it would be nice if more artists and companies got involved like in years past so the members don't have to do all the heavy lifting for the prizes.

So having said all this, where is Mike or the mods? I'd like to hear an update on some concrete time frames for this contest. Also, didn't we discuss rule changes and category modifications last year? Anyway, looking forward to the 2017 contest!
Bruno

Unread post by Bruno »

Prizes schmizes.

You do know how much behind the scenes effort this takes ?

Instead of outsourcing the hard graft like some here suggest, there needs to be some solid input from other than the usual suspects here.

Any volunteers for relieving the worn out old engine room lackies ? :D

rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by rousselle »

Hey, gang.

Mike and the Moderators (pretty cool band name, don't you think?) are working out the details behind the scenes, but while that's going on... do any of y'all have any constructive suggestions for tweaks you might like to see to either the categories or the structure of how the voting (and the contest) are handled? Speaking only for myself, I don't imagine we want to perform any major overhauls to something that seems to be producing pretty solid results (not to mention some fun in participation), but if you have any suggestions that might make the results more solider (solidder?), or the participation more funner, now might be a good time to float them.
This space intentionally left blank.
RickDavidson
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by RickDavidson »

Loved the beginning to this thread haha, yes Bruno has been a great source of entertainment this year. I agree that this contest has worked well the last few years, may be getting late to organise prizes but I'd be happy to add a little set if so. Happy New Year all
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by shermjack »

As previously, I will be more than happy to contribute some prizes :D

Similar to last year, I will contribute two prizes:

(1) The full range of Carat Cases from X1 - X4 and X6
(2) A Carat X6 filled with decks from Asia (decks to be announced at a later date)

Happy New Year everyone and looking forward to another great year!
A deck a day helps keep the addiction at bay!

Check out my collection on Instagram @caratcasecreations
Thirdway Industries
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Thirdway Industries »

Awesome idea :)

I'm contributing with a mixed half brick of Thirdway Industries decks, 3 Unlimited and 3 Limited Edition + shipping in the USA/Europe/Canada - (I might need a little contribution for ship in the most "far" countries).

I would offer 1 Pantheon (one of the top 12 decks of 2017 for Kardify - yay ), 1 Eva, 1 SINS Anima, 1 SINS Corpus, 1 SINS Mentis and 1 Omnia Perduta.

Happy New Year to all UC members!!! :mrgreen:
Thirdway Industries shop > https://www.thirdwayindustries.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
willroya
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by willroya »

I can donate a brick of Felines and Chickens as long as it is domestic shipping. Who ever is in charge of the details can just let me know. Thanks!
http://www.PlayingCardDecks.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://stores.ebay.com/Playing-Card-Decks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.facebook.com/playingcarddecks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.instagram.com/playingcarddecks_com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/playingcarddecks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
shaitani
White Whale: Artistic Spring

Unread post by shaitani »

rousselle wrote:Hey, gang.

Mike and the Moderators (pretty cool band name, don't you think?) are working out the details behind the scenes, but while that's going on... do any of y'all have any constructive suggestions for tweaks you might like to see to either the categories or the structure of how the voting (and the contest) are handled? Speaking only for myself, I don't imagine we want to perform any major overhauls to something that seems to be producing pretty solid results (not to mention some fun in participation), but if you have any suggestions that might make the results more solider (solidder?), or the participation more funner, now might be a good time to float them.
Siiiince you asked, I'm going to throw out a suggestion. It's based on my dislike of the current system where you vote for what you think will win as opposed to what you believe is the best. I'd like it to be considered that every entry has two votes, one set for what you believe is the best of 2017, and one set for what you believe will actually win.

This proposal does have a minor flaw in that it encourages voters to vote the same in both votes to slightly improve their chances of winning prizes, buuut it's better than the current system which encourages people not to vote at all for what they think is the best but to vote for what they think is going to get the most votes by other people (this means Lotrek will win every single year until we're all dead). Another possible option besides dual voting is trying to guess how many votes the #1 place will win over #2 by in each category, or something...

I'm just talking out loud here, hoping I'm not the only one who thinks this way (even though I've already been made fun of for this opinion!)
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

First, I am really new here, so take everything I say as someone who has not done this before. I like where shaitani is going with his suggestion. Ultimately, it is best if folks first vote for the decks by their individual preference. These are used to rank the decks. Then they vote on how they think they will end up. Or, I guess we could just ask everyone to vote their conscience and see how it fairs with the overall ranking. I don't think we should rank decks based on what we each think the others will vote as that can alter the real rank based on our own rank preference.

I will be happy to add some decks to the pot once I get a better idea of what I should offer up. I do have a brick of Amethyst Jaqk's if nothing else.

If anyone wants to figure out how Bruno votes, that could be a bonus question :lol:
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

shaitani wrote:
rousselle wrote:Hey, gang.

Siiiince you asked, I'm going to throw out a suggestion. It's based on my dislike of the current system where you vote for what you think will win as opposed to what you believe is the best. I'd like it to be considered that every entry has two votes, one set for what you believe is the best of 2017, and one set for what you believe will actually win.

This proposal does have a minor flaw in that it encourages voters to vote the same in both votes to slightly improve their chances of winning prizes, buuut it's better than the current system which encourages people not to vote at all for what they think is the best but to vote for what they think is going to get the most votes by other people (this means Lotrek will win every single year until we're all dead). Another possible option besides dual voting is trying to guess how many votes the #1 place will win over #2 by in each category, or something...

I'm just talking out loud here, hoping I'm not the only one who thinks this way (even though I've already been made fun of for this opinion!)
I agree that it would be nice for there to be a way for people to actually vote for their favorites and not everyone else's favorites. Unfortunately your proposal doesn't solve the problem. In fact there's no way to solve this problem because the "honor system" leaves a human element that just can't be accounted for. So I like where your head's at but I feel like "if it's ain't broke don't fix it." Changing the voting presents just as much room for "lying" and "juking the stats" as the current model so why not just keep the current model?
I for one have always voted with my heart and will continue to do so.
*NOTE* In the past Kai used to post everyone's votes after the drawing so if someone put "Legal Tender" for every single category (... :lol: ) to try and cheat, at least they would be held accountable afterwards.
JacksandJokers
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by JacksandJokers »

I like the current system and believe that if a deck is really THAT spectacular then why shouldn't it sweep all the categories.
I also think that due to all the fantastic decks that are being produced it is no easy feat to correctly guess the winner in every category.

However, As I've suggested previously, to prevent anyone from naming the same deck in every category there should be a cap of 2 or 3 entries on each deck. For example should someone vote for Jackson's Legal Tender in the Best Tuck & Best Overall categories then they cannot vote for this deck in any of the other categories. Just an idea that might please everyone :D
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Happy New Year all....

I am contributing very rare and exclusive 100% handcrafted deck (recently shipped to backers of Bharata Playing Cards) , one Divine Art deck ( numbered between 1-30), 6 Bharata Major Arcana tarot decks with shipping excluded.
sinjin7
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by sinjin7 »

I will donate a brick (the contents TBD until a thread is put up where people can list their prizes they're donating). I will ship for free to the winner if (s)he is located in the U.S. and I will split the cost of shipping if the winner is outside of the U.S.

In the past, I didn't think many people tried to game the contest and rig their answers to maximize their chances of winning instead of voting for their actual favorite decks. My opinion has changed since last year, however. The only way to get a "true" result is to make the prizes independent of the voting, which means to award the prizes by random draw. Based upon the discussions last year, this didn't seem to be a popular solution. I would not be in favor of some hybrid method where our voting would be weighted in some way or by casting multiple votes, that's just too technically complex. Either keep it as is or make the prize distribution completely random.

So the issue is do enough people think the current system is broken? I'm not at that point yet. We have some damn awesome prizes in this contest, so I can see why some (maybe even subconsciously) may skew their votes in hopes of landing a great prize. But I don't think it's blatant to the point of overhauling the voting system. Having said that, if Mike and the Mods conclude the contest has become more about winning prizes than voting your conscience, then I am putting it out there that I wouldn't be opposed to randomizing the prize distribution to achieve fair and accurate voting.
montenzi
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by montenzi »

Hi. The only contest that works - no prizes at all. Vote by your heart! :mrgreen: If you can't - drink a little :mrgreen: and vote. That's it. I'd like to exclude my decks from voting. It's official. thanks))~
Bruno

Unread post by Bruno »

Who was that masked man ?

Speaking of Kai ....
I vote to bring back 2015. :D

TGunitedcardists

Unread post by TGunitedcardists »

sinjin7 wrote:I will donate a brick (the contents TBD until a thread is put up where people can list their prizes they're donating). I will ship for free to the winner if (s)he is located in the U.S. and I will split the cost of shipping if the winner is outside of the U.S.

In the past, I didn't think many people tried to game the contest and rig their answers to maximize their chances of winning instead of voting for their actual favorite decks. My opinion has changed since last year, however. The only way to get a "true" result is to make the prizes independent of the voting, which means to award the prizes by random draw. Based upon the discussions last year, this didn't seem to be a popular solution. I would not be in favor of some hybrid method where our voting would be weighted in some way or by casting multiple votes, that's just too technically complex. Either keep it as is or make the prize distribution completely random.

So the issue is do enough people think the current system is broken? I'm not at that point yet. We have some damn awesome prizes in this contest, so I can see why some (maybe even subconsciously) may skew their votes in hopes of landing a great prize. But I don't think it's blatant to the point of overhauling the voting system. Having said that, if Mike and the Mods conclude the contest has become more about winning prizes than voting your conscience, then I am putting it out there that I wouldn't be opposed to randomizing the prize distribution to achieve fair and accurate voting.
I kind of like the idea where you vote on what you liked best in each category. Then, random draw!
ecNate
Decks Owned: 400

Unread post by ecNate »

I am firmly in the camp that we vote for the actual best deck in each category and each vote gets you a random ticket for a prize. For the people that really like the ability to guess what the winner will be, perhaps have an additional prize and additional vote for most popular deck of the year. Thus all vote for their real favorite deck in all categories, including deck of the year. However, you then also vote for what you think the masses will vote for deck of the year.

I always tried to vote with what I felt, but for categories I didn't care as much about or when it was a tie, the one I thought was more popular would get the nod. I would like to avoid that this year. The downside of this method is there is no open audit-ability, but I trust the mods. There's also a number of sites to outsource the leg work for free.

I am hoping to sort through my box of decks in the next few days and see what I may be able to offer as a prize this year.
shaitani
White Whale: Artistic Spring

Unread post by shaitani »

vasta41 wrote: I agree that it would be nice for there to be a way for people to actually vote for their favorites and not everyone else's favorites. Unfortunately your proposal doesn't solve the problem. In fact there's no way to solve this problem because the "honor system" leaves a human element that just can't be accounted for. So I like where your head's at but I feel like "if it's ain't broke don't fix it." Changing the voting presents just as much room for "lying" and "juking the stats" as the current model so why not just keep the current model?
I for one have always voted with my heart and will continue to do so.
*NOTE* In the past Kai used to post everyone's votes after the drawing so if someone put "Legal Tender" for every single category (... :lol: ) to try and cheat, at least they would be held accountable afterwards.
You are correct, I concede that my suggestion still has a 'conflict of interest' problem, thereby not really solving the issue. Does it lessen the problem? Yes. Does it really fix it? Not really. It was the first fix that I could think of that popped into my head, I realized it had a flaw but was hoping to brainstorm a fix. Doesn't seem like there's an easy solution, and it does seem that others have thought about this before.

I will say that I'm not a fan of the "random draw" for the prize winners, it kind of feels like it cheapens the efforts of the voters. Someone who spent their time carefully voting will get the same chance as someone who voted the same deck in every category or just voted hastily. My experience on other collectors forums tells me that if free prizes are given to minimal effort, we'll start seeing dozens/hundreds of silent non-contributing accounts start voting randomly to get a chance at a prize, and those are the exact people we don't want to get a prize, people who only speak up when they can get something for free. I also in general like that a voter has some control over their outcome, which makes it like a game instead of a sweepstakes or lottery.

So my suggestion was a dud, but I'm hoping that if nothing else, as things proceed with this years votes, we can think of ways to improve 'the game' as I originally brought up. Maybe a weighted point system, or finding a way to give more points for voting for an underdog like with "vegas odds" or something, I know these suggestions might also be duds, but I'm again just hoping others can get on my wavelength and help find a better way.
ecNate
Decks Owned: 400

Unread post by ecNate »

I don't get the aversion to random drawing, people should be able to just vote for what deck they think is best. If there's a concern for scamming the system then since this is supposed to be from UC members then we can have eligibility requirements (such as must have been member since July 1 or other date and/or have at least 20 posts, etc). That would remove concern about somebody joining and voting, but is that a realistic problem??? Just state that admins have the right to refuse any entry based on their discretion as needed which will be published for transparency. Somebody votes for the same deck in every category, that's OK, but any entry where it doesn't fit can be pulled. Somebody joined last week and wants to participate, that's fine too.

We want actual input from as many as possible, the prizes are supposed to be a bonus and not the primary factor anyhow. By making the system benefit those who pick the winner just shuts out designers who took a chance and just increases the 1% vs the others.

Whatever, I'm starting to feel this isn't worth arguing over, but do think random better than current. I will just say maybe let the person/company donating the deck get to choose (random vs most popular). Of course the more complicated it gets the more work it is for those running it and then it will die off from lack of support. Another reason I prefer the random approach, with eligibility requirements if needed.
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

Well, I have just listened - so far.

We have been through the efforts to "fix" the contest or rather the way we vote, and I am still waiting to hear anything that truly fixes the problem without having to completely revamp the entire process.

I have been absent again with major family issues, including my mother and my mother in law being in and out of the hospital multiple times over the past few months and I don't forsee me having a resolution to those problems with my MIL now in rehab/rest home since prior to Thanksgiving. I am dealing with it pretty well, but the wife - not so much.

Anyway, Allan has volunteered to take up the mantle and coordinate the Decks of the Year 2017 contest for us this year, so please coordinate prizes and things through him..

I will put out a request using the mass mailer to artists and designers requesting they contribute to the prize bank, and aa always we truly appreciate those of you who can adding to the stack of goodies.

We're behind to start with, just like with getting Rick's DeNovo (UC2018 Sixth Annual Decks) going, so expect that to get moving very soon as well.

Joe has built a great spreadsheet to fairly track votes in our 1st, 2nd, 3rd point based scoring, and I am going to ask everyone to hold off on suggestions for fixing things until we are done so both are not trying to keep up with a moving target and then we can get into a serious discussion about what, where and how to make changes that are fair to the people voting and the artists without losing the overall flavor of the contest process and outcome.

If you want to help out, please volunteer with Allan ("rousselle" here).

Joe: is there some way to get him more room for personal mail storage? I created two new archives to keep things straight, but it seems like there should be a better solution, maybe?
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
Lotrek
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Lotrek »

I will contribute, too. Figuring out what I can offer. Definitely 1-2 SANCTUS decks and maybe something on top of that.
Happy new Year to everybody!
"Bite more than you can chew and then chew it"

----------------------------------------------------------
fb: https://www.facebook.com/oathplayingcards/
twitter:@OathPCC
portcullis
Decks Owned: 440

Unread post by portcullis »

Bruno wrote:Baby, that was years ago .... **
(You shoulda been there, Tom)

Young Brad is onto it ....
Purely poetry and license, not neccessarily entwined ....

.... for those un-australians, ** 'Cold Chisel - Cheap Wine'
Chisel second only to AckerDacka !*
See *Powderfinger-*INXS-*Midnight Oil *&co*&co*&co

But enough of this guff, back to our theme .... :D

Settle in to play "do you remember so and so?"
Number three is never say her name.
Räpylätassu
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

I'll give away a brick for the contest. Will contain at least 1 or 2 pairs of Turku's Castle decks, 1 pair of L&H decks, 1 or 2 unopened Grimauds plus some more "mainstream" stuff.
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by rousselle »

Sorry to be radio silent the last few days; been crazy busy here.

I'll get the ball rolling this weekend to kick off the awards/contest. Details coming Very Soon Now!
This space intentionally left blank.