Top Aces of WWI - Jody Eklund

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
shaitani
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
White Whale: Artistic Spring

Top Aces of WWI - Jody Eklund

Unread post by shaitani »

Not sure how nobody else spotted this yet, these look amazing, he has pictures up on his instagram: https://www.instagram.com/blackinkplayingcards/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kickstarter launching October 17, 2017.
Two editions: regular and limited.

Regular edition tuck:

Regular edition back:

Limited edition tuck:

Limited edition back:

Ace of Spades:
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Re: Top Aces of WWI - Jody Eklund

Unread post by vasta41 »

Obviously amazing but I'm hoping for a good price here. I do have to point out that I hate when full bleed backs don't match full bleed fronts. Not enough to keep me away from this particular project but like Bret Michaels famously said, "every rose has its thorn."
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

Let me guess, you'll have to buy 2 standard to get 1 limited like he did, or tried since I passed on it, with the Iron Horse (I think) deck. Pass.
Move on, nothing to see here.
Bradius
Player: Yes
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

I guess we will see one of my favorite flyers - Eddie Rickenbacker. He lived life flat out fast from beginning to end with a lot of fast turns along the way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Rickenbacker
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
Räpylätassu
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

I like Jody Eklunds work but many of his decks seemed a bit too repetitive, before Iron Horse that is. I liked the Iron Horse more because I think the court design than on his eariler decks. I just hope that the design is either in the Iron Horse style or something completely new.

And yes, I defended Giovanni doing decks in the same style, although it is a bit similar but it does change from deck to deck. All of Jody's deck have almost the same look, Iron Horse being the exception. Anyway, I'm sure that it will be a good looking deck nevertheless.
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
RoyalSecretCards
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Unread post by RoyalSecretCards »

I like the limited edition, I feel it way more elegant.
sinjin7
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by sinjin7 »

I actually like the standard deck better, more colorful. I like the limited tuck with the foil, but I don't like the monochromatic back as much.
shaitani
White Whale: Artistic Spring

Unread post by shaitani »

I'm really digging the limited edition, loving the tuck and loving the full bleed backs.

Räpylätassu, I mean, if you don't like that certain artists have a style that they use on each project, then it's hard to justify buying more than 1 deck per artist almost ever (very few artists radically change every deck they release). But even with that said, I think Jody's tucks, his back designs, and his topics have actually been very very different each and every time including this one (I dare you to find another one of his card backs that look even remotely similar to this project). The only thing that's "the same" is his artistic ability to draw historical characters. The way I look at it is this, it's a beautiful looking deck so far, and even though I don't know much about Aces in WWI I am very interested in seeing and learning more, so it's a no brainer pickup for me.

Btw, as an aside, I've said this before, and with that Limited edition back here especially, it adds to my belief that Jody makes some of the best card backs ever.
jodyeklund
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer
Decks Owned: 50

Unread post by jodyeklund »

Thanks Shaitani for posting this.

Top Aces will be launching on Kickstarter tomorrow morning, October 17, 2017 at 10am MST (Mountain Standard Time).

There are 3 early birds and each one is FREE SHIPPING for U.S. and International backers. There will only be a few available and will only last for the first 24 hours.

I know in previous campaigns I had shipping included, but due to rising prices in general and some past shipping problems, I have to charge for shipping. I will be fulfilling from Gambler's Warehouse this time around, so things should be much smoother than shipping from Taiwan.

Prices are very similar to my previous projects:
$13 Standard
$15 Limited (yes you can get a limited without having to pledge for anything else)
$35 Deluxe (Limited cards with a slip case for a tuck)
$55 Signature Series (2 decks with a booklet that has a short biography of each character) ...oh FREE DEALER COIN this time around.

Let me know if you all have any questions. I am glad to answer.

Jody
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

Did I screw up the time zones again or is this late?

EDIT: Its was late, now LIVE:
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

I have to say, I'm very disappointed that there's an EB limited ed. for $13 with free shipping THAT IS MORE EXPENSIVE than the standard ed. which is $16 shipped. The standard ed. is much better looking than the limited IMO but either way I don't think I've ever seen a limited ed. cost less than a standard ed. even if it is just an EB. No me gusta.
sinjin7
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by sinjin7 »

I like this deck, but never at $16.00 shipped for a standard deck printed from LPCC. This is well above what I feel is the standard market rate for a custom deck printed by an Asian printer that touted themselves to be more cost-effective than the USPCC. I also think Jody made a mistake on his multiple reward tier for the standard deck. He listed 1 deck = $12 (plus shipping), 2 decks = $24, 6 decks = $36, 12 decks = $136. He either meant 3 decks for $36 or 6 decks for $70.
Adonael

Unread post by Adonael »

Having a look, I found the prices to be very reasonable when factoring in shipping, specially when living down under (of course that means I'm used to paying 30).