Search Broken?

General discussion about the Playing Card Database.
Announcements and updates wil lalso be posted here.

Moderator: Playing Card DB Mod

flyers3003
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Original Rarebit

Search Broken?

Unread post by flyers3003 »

I think search has been broken. I noticed today that someone added a duplicate of the Mint Raspberry deck - https://www.portfolio52.com/deck/5327/view. Original is - https://www.portfolio52.com/deck/4135/view. But when I do a search on "mint" or "raspberry", only the new listing shows up. This is bad news as others will now start creating duplicates if they can't successfully search for a deck.
ecNate
Decks Owned: 400

Re: Search Broken?

Unread post by ecNate »

I think I figured it out. The original had errors when saving and I noticed it had 'unlimited' listed for Production Run. When I removed that entry it saved OK and also appeared in the search. Adding 'unlimited' back again created the error on save. Thus, we actually have a bug with allowing non-integers into that field and/or how it handles it if that does happen.

The search is pretty poor though as it's always inclusive and you can't do multiple search terms as it will assume OR. Likewise you can't search on a specific field, searching for a deck that has say 2015 in the title will bring up all decks that were created that year. So yeah, it's a poor minimal function search, but not really broken. In this case the deck was 'corrupt' due to above bug and now working OK.

I marked the new deck as duplicate and will be deleted in the near future. Thanks for posting!
ecNate
Decks Owned: 400

Unread post by ecNate »

I did talk to Alex about this and he made a note of it for a possible future update in coming months. He's quite busy these days, especially with the upcoming decks and the 52+J. I also created an official bug report for this one that he and the developer will be using to evaluate and understand the current issues - viewtopic.php?f=60&t=10614
tonyricciardi
Decks Owned: 1200

Unread post by tonyricciardi »

An "advanced" search would be a great thing. I've mentioned to Alex before, I would GLADLY pay for a more advanced version of the site. Maybe open up some extra features for users who pay a small monthly or annual fee to help keep the project alive.
flyers3003

Do we have another deck with this issue?
https://www.portfolio52.com/deck/3561/view" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is now duplicated by
https://www.portfolio52.com/deck/5436/view" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Because the 1st one isn't showing in Search.
4.of.Clubs

Unread post by 4.of.Clubs »

flyers3003 wrote:Do we have another deck with this issue?
https://www.portfolio52.com/deck/3561/view" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is now duplicated by
https://www.portfolio52.com/deck/5436/view" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Because the 1st one isn't showing in Search.
I added the duplicate one since I couldn't find it. I think we'll need Nate on this. 8-)
----------> Check out the decks I have for sale! <----------
----------> Also check out my Trade List and Wish List, maybe we can make a deal! <----------
flyers3003

Well, it turns out that I could fix the issue after all. The Production Run was set to "n/a". I was able to delete that, save the deck and now it shows in search.

I also took the liberty of marking the 2nd deck as a duplicate. 4.of.Clubs - recommend changing your deck collection to the old listing. Sorry for the confusion. Good to know that if I see this in the future I can update the deck not showing up in search.
4.of.Clubs

Unread post by 4.of.Clubs »

flyers3003 wrote:Well, it turns out that I could fix the issue after all. The Production Run was set to "n/a". I was able to delete that, save the deck and now it shows in search.

I also took the liberty of marking the 2nd deck as a duplicate. 4.of.Clubs - recommend changing your deck collection to the old listing. Sorry for the confusion. Good to know that if I see this in the future I can update the deck not showing up in search.
Good find, I'll keep that in mind too.
----------> Check out the decks I have for sale! <----------
----------> Also check out my Trade List and Wish List, maybe we can make a deal! <----------
flyers3003

Found another deck - Mint Raspberry - with a Production Run set to 'unlimited'. Is there any way we can check all decks that have a production run set to non-numeric characters and automatically clear that out?

Also we may want to update the instructions on adding a deck to mention that Production Run should not be set to anything other than a number. If the run is unlimited just leave the field blank.
flyers3003

Wanted to post an update on this. I'm still seeing people putting in "N/A" or "Unknown" for Print Run and this still affects the search and causes decks to not be found - thus leading to duplicate entries.

@robcan630 - any chance we can:
1. Remove non-numeric entries for Print Run
2. Prevent users from entering in non-numeric values for Print Run when adding/editing a deck

or
3. Fix search so that decks with non-numeric Print Runs can be found?
robcan0630

Unread post by robcan0630 »

I should be able to take care of 1 & 2. I’ll look in to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robcan0630

Unread post by robcan0630 »

Okay, the validation has been added. Below is a screenshot of what it will look like if a user enters a non-numeric value. I haven't fixed the existing records in the database yet, but I'll start looking at those next. I'll PM you a list of any decks that I change as most of them will likely be duplicates. I also added some additional instructions under the textbox to indicate that the field should be left blank for unknown or unlimited runs.

Note: This should work for both edits and additions. Due to caching, it may not take effect immediately though. You can Ctrl+F5 to force the page to refresh its cache if you want to try it out.

Edit: The "invalid" values in the database should all be corrected now as well. I PM'd you a list of them.
prod-run-error.jpg
prod-run-error.jpg (41.9 KiB) Viewed 6391 times