Anything and everything playing cards!
EndersGame
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes

Playing cards created specifically for cardistry

Unread post by EndersGame »

In recent years, there have been several decks of playing cards created specifically and exclusively for cardistry. In one case (School of Cardistry from the New Deck Order), the deck can't even be used as a regular deck, since all the faces are identical! Here's a running list of some decks that I've personally come across that were optimized exclusively for the art of card flourishing, beginning with the well-known Virtuoso deck. I've posted links to the reviews I've done on these. If there are similar decks, I'd like to hear about them, but they do need to fit the criteria of being created purely for cardistry, and not for magic or playing games or anything like that.

Virtuoso Playing Cards

Virtuoso: The group, their deck, and their art-form by The Virts (Singapore)
Virtuoso: The world's first ever deck created just for cardistry by The Virts (Singapore)
Virtuoso: The evolution of the world's best cardistry deck by The Virts (Singapore)

Virtuoso, also known as The Virts, is a group of expert cardists from Singapore that have inspired many to take up cardistry, which is the art of card flourishing. They have also created the successful Virtuoso deck of playing cards, which has an eye-catching design and visual aesthetics optimized for cardistry.

School of Cardistry Playing Cards

The New Deck Order: Cardistry, and The School of Cardistry V1 Deck by Jaspas Deck (Singapore)
The New Deck Order: The School of Cardistry V2 Deck, and V3 Deck by Jaspas Deck (Singapore)
The New Deck Order: The Videos, and The Jaspas Deck by Jaspas Deck (Singapore)

Well-known for their School of Cardistry tutorials, Jaspas Deck and the New Deck Order have taken cardistry to the next logical step, by designing a series of stunning decks where every face card is identical, thus optimizing them for cardistry more than ever before.

Isometric Playing Cards

Isometric Playing Cards by Kenneth Aidan Foo (Singapore)

Kenneth Aidan Foo is well-known in cardistry circles for his videos and more, but he's also applied his own passion for this new art-form to create modern decks inspired by the classic Tally Ho circle-backs, and dominated by an isometric design that features his own love for hexagons.

Edit: corrected reference to School of Cardistry, as pointed out by next poster.
--
BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame => Playing Card Reviews <=>Magic Reviews <=> Board Game Reviews <=

Azid

Re: Playing cards created specifically for cardistry

Unread post by Azid »

EndersGame wrote:In recent years, there have been several decks of playing cards created specifically and exclusively for cardistry. In one case (Art of Cardistry from the New Deck Order), the deck can't even be used as a regular deck, since all the faces are identical! Here's a running list of some decks that I've personally come across that were optimized exclusively for the art of card flourishing, beginning with the well-known Virtuoso deck. I've posted links to the reviews I've done on these. If there are similar decks, I'd like to hear about them, but they do need to fit the criteria of being created purely for cardistry, and not for magic or playing games or anything like that.
First of all, thanks for your reviews/articles about playing cards! I read almost all of them and i see you put a lot of work in this ;)

"Art of Cardistry" was recently made by Bocopo, you mean "School of Cardistry" as it is described later on in your post :P

There is one thing that annoys me about the decks specially made for cardistry. I have nothing againt the Virts but how can they claim that the Virtuoso deck is the first one specially designed for cardistry ?
Their first deck "Virtuoso Launch Edition" was released somewhere in March 2013.
But there is another deck thats for me the real first one designed for cardistry:
XCM Dominions which was released at the end of 2012. Yes, the Dominions are for XCM and Card Flourishing, but we know thats today all called cardistry.

Don't know how other people think about this...... or maybe i'm wrong ?

Dominions:
sinjin7
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 1500

Re: Playing cards created specifically for cardistry

Unread post by sinjin7 »

Azid, you're spot on with the XCM Dominion deck. De'vo made some of the best cardistry decks, in terms of both design and quality. The first Virts deck wasn't actually that great of a cardistry deck due to the criminally wide back border and complete lack of cardistry-centric design elements for the face of the cards.

I would add the FatBoy decks to this list. The first of the three versions came out in 2013. The thing that's interesting about this deck is that I suspect they were the first more widely-known decks that ever came out of the Taiwanese printing company that eventually would became known for printing decks for EPCC/LPCC.