Shogun Playing Cards

Designing a deck? Need input? Show us here!
nur1988

Re: Shogun Playing Cards

Unread post by nur1988 »

cartamundicards wrote:The aces already look awesome! can't wait to see more!
Thank you bud :)
Are you the official Cartamundi guys? If so, I got in contact with your UK branch about this printing as I love the Elites.
nur1988

Unread post by nur1988 »

Guys, would love feedback on these. We are stuck for a colour scheme for the face of the cards. Standard white was very bleh and didn't really feel happy with it. We've come up with 2 different ones, would love your feedback on it or any other recommendations you have?! Ignore the pips as they won't be the ones we are using. We are redesigning the pips to make them more playable.

Also, the back design has been drafted. It's not complete yet, but it will be similar to the final design. Border or no border? Again, any feedback the community has is always taken on board and helps a long way :)
Attachments
colour scheme wm.jpg
colour scheme 2 wm.jpg
back_design_wm.jpg
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

Definitely the brown-ish color scheme, I've never thought dark grey works very well on cards. The courts are quite small though, leaving a lot of empty space. Maybe scale them up a bit?

The back design is very... non-traditional. I can't say I'm really feeling it, although the colors are nice.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

MagikFingerz wrote:Definitely the brown-ish color scheme, I've never thought dark grey works very well on cards. The courts are quite small though, leaving a lot of empty space. Maybe scale them up a bit?

The back design is very... non-traditional. I can't say I'm really feeling it, although the colors are nice.
Agree on all. If you can make the 'J' and bit under the 'J' red to go with inner diamond/heart that would be easier to see.
Move on, nothing to see here.
jaytayo2212
Decks Owned: 36

Unread post by jaytayo2212 »

RichK wrote:Nice work. Can you put pupils in the cards without them, they look odd.

Pips don't seem to have connection. I like the Spade but the Club looks like it's got fuzz on it when you shrunk it down. Hearts and Diamonds aren't doing it for me either. Maybe have design inside all non Spade pips vs "cutting" the other 3 edges off.
I agree with the comment about the clubs. Definitely want to make sure you check how they turn out after printing, and the details aren't lost on what ever find decision you make on them.

The backs, agree that they are not traditional, but I think they look great as long as it comes out perfectly 2-way (sometimes there a small difference). It also helps to make sure registration is on point with the printer. Love the colors as well
Dragosven
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Decks Owned: 60

Unread post by Dragosven »

This deck has AMAZING potential! Such great work!

I have a few questions :
  1. On the court cards, specifically the JoC, JoH, KoC, KoH, KoD, is there are reason they are slightly "tilted" or "rotated" to the left? The others are more 90 degree symmetrical. It was throwing my eye for a loop when comparing to the others.
  2. The Aces are wonderful. Only question I had was the AoC. I am not seeing the Koi as pertaining to Shoguns. I know they are "traditional" but I wasn't getting that instant connection.
  3. Ninjas. Samurai. They were also apart of feudal Japan. Maybe include them as Jokers?
Then come the geishas, wow! The QoH is absolutely stunning; that back tattoo! The QoS is a close second for me.

Keep up the great work! Can't wait to purchase these.
@dragosven ( Instagram )
Portfolio52 Collection ( Just started; I'm in the process of adding all my decks )
Dragosven
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Decks Owned: 60

Unread post by Dragosven »

With respect to my previous comment about the AoC and the Koi fish, what if you did one of the symbols that represents the Shogun.

For instance :

You could remove the circle border and then create a stem. It would be the perfect AoC. Just a thought!
@dragosven ( Instagram )
Portfolio52 Collection ( Just started; I'm in the process of adding all my decks )
NineLives
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by NineLives »

This deck has some beautiful artwork and it was really interesting to read your stories behind the different characters. I agree with MagikFingers: your cousin's drawings are wonderful and also quite sensitively detailed, I think making them larger would allow them to fill the card in a better way (and help them shine a lot more). On the background colour/layout, I too prefer the brown / neutral version (with bigger courts). Great work - and looking forward to seeing more :)
intlgrrl
White Whale: MAD DECK by Ozlem Olcer
Decks Owned: 256

Unread post by intlgrrl »

Dragosven wrote:With respect to my previous comment about the AoC and the Koi fish, what if you did one of the symbols that represents the Shogun.

For instance :

You could remove the circle border and then create a stem. It would be the perfect AoC. Just a thought!

I love what you've put together so far, and I really like this new concept for the AoC. However; it could be just me, but I feel like the AoC would be the odd one out. All the other aces have people on them, but this one would have just a symbol. Do you think there could be any way you could come up with a concept that would include a person on the AoC?
nur1988

Unread post by nur1988 »

HI Guys,

The feedback for all of this has been really overwhelming, I am so happy with all the positivity and feedback we are receiving.

We are redesigning the back to make it a little more traditional, the original back design I posted, we do still have some plans for that for within the project, don't want to say too much, just in case we hit any bumps in the road. don't want to set an expectation only for it not to go through.

In regards to the suits you mentioned that are a little bit off centre, is anyone else having this issue seeing it tilted? I think I can make out on one of them, my eyes are playing games though lol anyone who sits in front of a computer for a living knows what I am on about lol

Yes, the AoC is something that seems out of place at first. The idea is that, during the Edo period, when Tokugawa Ieyasu officially took over, he restored order within Edo, tranquility set in. The Koi are meant to represent that.

Throughout the deck, we are aiming to represent over 250 years, from the battle of Sekigahara to just before the Meiji Restoration.

We are using the crest for other part of the deck and tuck, and also using the crest as part of add ons that we have in mind. We didn't really want to over do it with the crest too much.

We are experimenting with the background of the court cards, looking to incorporate a background design to fill the negative space. We did enlarge the image, but with some of them, when enlarged, the weapons are cut off.

It's definitely something we are working on and trying to perfect as much as we can :)

I'll pop in and out with updates, on tuesday I will be posting more images.

Thank you again guys, for all the support :)
nur1988

Unread post by nur1988 »

Here is our alternative version for the back design. This isn't the final piece, there's still some work to be done such as choosing the right background colour and minor design details that we are experimenting with.

A bit of background regarding the sketch in the centre. The war torn flags you see depict the flags that we're used during The Battle of Sekigahara.
The castle is that of the Edo Castle, where Ieyasu put together the Shogunate. It has been replaced by the Tokyo Imperial Palace, although some parts of the old Edo Castle still remains to this day.
The spiral like design of the Komainu is also included, the Komainu being the protector of the Castle to ward off evil spirits.

Please let us know your thoughts on the revised background.

Thank you again :)
Attachments
Back Design MARK WM.jpg
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by shermjack »

The new back is tons better in my opinion as it fits the theme much more than the previously proposed back. My only criticisms of the new back is that there is a little too much empty space and it seems that the banners are more the focus than Edo Castle...was this intentional? I would like to see Edo Castle more centered and fill out more of the back. Either way, love the way this deck is shaping up...keep up the great work! :ugdance:
A deck a day helps keep the addiction at bay!

Check out my collection on Instagram @caratcasecreations
TGunitedcardists

Unread post by TGunitedcardists »

nur1988 wrote: Please let us know your thoughts on the revised background.
It looks 65% done. I like the idea and looks promising, but there's too much empty space. The linework at the corners is nice, but the fans/onions/blobs aren't. I think some more detailed line work and other things to fill the negative/empty space would help a lot. Or even loads of kanji might work, depending on what is written.
RichK

Unread post by RichK »

Agree with both above comments.
nur1988

Unread post by nur1988 »

TGunitedcardists wrote:
nur1988 wrote: Please let us know your thoughts on the revised background.
It looks 65% done. I like the idea and looks promising, but there's too much empty space. The linework at the corners is nice, but the fans/onions/blobs aren't. I think some more detailed line work and other things to fill the negative/empty space would help a lot. Or even loads of kanji might work, depending on what is written.
Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated as always.

The fans/onions/blobs you're referring to isn't any of those things, it's a part of the Tokugawa crest. We'll have a look into this if this is what people are thinking they are.

Anyone else have this perception of the crest?

We're experimenting with kanji work for the negative space, amongst other design details :)
Malthus1

Unread post by Malthus1 »

I have nothing to add except encouragement - your deck is beautiful. I'm loving it so far!
NineLives
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by NineLives »

The new back design is looking more connected with the artwork on the faces, which is great to see :) ...
I know the design isn't finished, but just wanted to throw in one comment: how would it look if the castles were placed top bottom (of the circle) - with banners and clouds on the sides ? It would give you more room to extend upwards (and downwards) - and like shermjack said, make the castle(s) the focal point of the design... Also, a centred top/bottom placement, would prevent them from sliding/toppling.
nur1988

Unread post by nur1988 »

Hey guys. So we've taken the feedback on board and we agree that the castle needs to be a focal part of the back design.
In regards to ninelives' comment, having to rotate it so the castle is at the top of the circle would mean we would have to redraw the entire back which would take hours. We've come up with a solution so the castle pop out more on the back than the war torn flags and the Komainu curls. Also, made slight adjustments, please let us know your thoughts.

Also attached are 2 of the face cards. We've made them larger so they fit the deck and drew some japanese mandala design to help fill it out more. The Jack of Spades we are working on to include the larger pip, still adjusting. Would love to know if you prefer courts to have an inside border or no inside border?!

thank you again
Attachments
Back Design MARK III WM.jpg
JoD border WM.jpg
JoS borderless WM.jpg
RichK

Unread post by RichK »

I like the border. It matches well with the border you have on the back.

The front background color looks awful to me, grayish and murky. Unfortunately it helps the art pop more making it stand out better.

I would suggest a different color for the Spade/Club indexes. They are too similar to the Diamond/Heart in my opinion. If you do go that route try making the large suit the same color so you don't have a yellow JoD index with a big red diamond next to it.
portcullis
Decks Owned: 440

Unread post by portcullis »

Can't wait for this to launch. It looks great. And seriously loving the JoS pose. I'll be interested to see the KoH too.
Pixel Initiative
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Unread post by Pixel Initiative »

Hi

well I think that there is disparity between your digital work and your hand drawn work. I think just having such a murky block colour background is really not lending itself to the pencil/ink quality of the drawings. Have you looked at "Sumi-e" on google images. Most traditional sumi-e Japanese artworks are done on more of a tea stained background. I think using something like this will help you blend your artwork into the background of the card more easily.
Stacey Jay Kelly

Kickstarter Fishing For COmpliments Playing Card Deck. New Launch, limited print run.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/12 ... ying-cards" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My site:
http://www.pixelinitiative.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nur1988

Unread post by nur1988 »

Pixel Initiative wrote:Hi

well I think that there is disparity between your digital work and your hand drawn work. I think just having such a murky block colour background is really not lending itself to the pencil/ink quality of the drawings. Have you looked at "Sumi-e" on google images. Most traditional sumi-e Japanese artworks are done on more of a tea stained background. I think using something like this will help you blend your artwork into the background of the card more easily.

Hi,

thank you for your feedback. Funny you should mention sumi-e style, we've been experimenting between sumi-e and ukiyo-e style. We are making adjustments every day to try and get a good balance. I agree the murky colour scheme isn't the greatest, rest assured we will improve it.

Thanks again guys :)
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

I echo same sentiments as expressed by portcullis. Interested to see the KoH.
nur1988

Unread post by nur1988 »

Hi again guys and girls. This is an updated version of the aces, everything is slowly being finalised. Made some major tweaks on the card. Hopefully the colour scheme is to taste for everyone, if not, then the majority.
I will be uploading other court cards soon, again, just finalising some details.

Also attached is the first draft for the box. The font isn't set, just a placeholder for now, however, would love feedback regarding the box design.

The quote attached on the back of the box is that of Ieyasu's, the history books tell me that it was in relation to how he coped with the challenges in his life.

"Persuade thyself that imperfection and inconvenience are the natural lot of mortals, and there will be no room for discontent, neither for despair."

We've procrastinated so much with this. The idea is to do a standard version and then a special edition version. I have a few ideas which I don't want to post as of yet until I'm certain I am able to come through with it.

Hoping to do some embossing for the box. Metallic inks and foiling would also help make it pop, but those are dependent on the kind of funds raised.
Attachments
AoC 2 WM.jpg
AoD 2 WM.jpg
AoH 2 WM.jpg
AoS 2 WM.jpg
nur1988

Unread post by nur1988 »

only just realised it's 4 images per post
Attachments
Box WM.jpg
portcullis
Decks Owned: 440

Unread post by portcullis »

Make this a sealed, numbered deck and you got yourself a sale, young person!
RichK

Unread post by RichK »

Your "A" on the Spade/Club are red like the Heart/Diamond and all are very faint. Got to fix that.

Tuck needs "Shogun" on front above warrior and more art. Looks way too empty.
nur1988

Unread post by nur1988 »

RichK wrote:Your "A" on the Spade/Club are red like the Heart/Diamond and all are very faint. Got to fix that.

Tuck needs "Shogun" on front above warrior and more art. Looks way too empty.
Hi,

Of course, yes that will be fixed, still experimenting with types of fonts. Who would've known this would've have been one of the most stressful things about this? lol

Duly noted regarding the position of the name. Will be taking feedback on board and checking to see what looks best. Will pop back soon with another update.

Thanks again :)
nur1988

Unread post by nur1988 »

Another update with the queens
Attachments
QoC update WM.jpg
QoD update WM.jpg
QoH update WM.jpg
QoS update WM.jpg
flashcards
Decks Owned: 600

Unread post by flashcards »

I'm sorry but at first glance, the red background on the QoD looked like blood splatter to me. I immediately looked for a sword to she if she committed sepuku. The QoH is not as bad although the splatter her waist looks like someone just missed with a paintball round. I'm sure you can fix these easily.