Marquis Playing Cards by Brendan Hong now live

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller
Collector: Yes

Marquis Playing Cards by Brendan Hong now live

Unread post by shermjack »

One of my favorite artists and a big reason I began collecting playing cards, Brendan Hong, is releasing a new deck at the end of this month! :ugdance:

Check out the sneak preview on Kardify - http://www.kardify.com/2017/03/first-lo ... ek-of.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Attachments
marquis_sm01.jpg
A deck a day helps keep the addiction at bay!

Check out my collection on Instagram @caratcasecreations
TGunitedcardists

Re: Marquis Playing Cards by Brendan Hong

Unread post by TGunitedcardists »

As soon as I saw Brendan Hong, I was in. I'm a super fan of his stuff. It looks like a traditional queen in his style. Instant winner. Bring it on.
shaitani
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Artistic Spring

Unread post by shaitani »

I missed out on the Hive decks, but Dynasty and the Ico deck cemented my appreciation for his work. I'm definitely in.
Marcus
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by Marcus »

Well, I've certainly looked forward to this project. :)
Yes, I might be the guy you remember from that thing at that place way back when.
Bikefanatic
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 333

Unread post by Bikefanatic »

That Queen of Clubs looking bright and pretty, so does that aqua back too.
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

*MY PORTFOLIO52 PROFILE https://portfolio52.com/profile/26674

* MY SELLER REVIEW viewtopic.php?f=28&t=16586
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

This could be my first Brendan Hong deck. Wasn't a fan of the Hive series.
Move on, nothing to see here.
Bikefanatic

These will go live on Kickstarter tomorrow 3/25 at 12pmEST.

I've seen more pics on Kardify. I like different styles of both decks, I like the blue-ish backs on the Noble deck than the Royal grey backs. Both of the tucks don't look that good at the moment.
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

shaitani

The Kardify article with pics of the tucks for those interested (this article really should be called 'Second Look' :mrgreen: ):
http://www.kardify.com/2017/03/first-lo ... ds-by.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yeah, not the biggest fan of the tucks either, mainly the gray one, the white one is probably going to look good in hand with that pearlescent foil(?) though. But the grey tuck feels a little on the dull side, makes it look like a lower tier edition. I could be wrong though, we've seen drastic color changes for tuck prints from the initial drawings before (*cough* Hocus Pocus).
TGunitedcardists

shaitani wrote:The Kardify article with pics of the tucks for those interested (this article really should be called 'Second Look' :mrgreen: ):
http://www.kardify.com/2017/03/first-lo ... ds-by.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Yeah, not the biggest fan of the tucks either, mainly the gray one, the white one is probably going to look good in hand with that pearlescent foil(?) though. But the grey tuck feels a little on the dull side, makes it look like a lower tier edition. I could be wrong though, we've seen drastic color changes for tuck prints from the initial drawings before (*cough* Hocus Pocus).
I think EVERYTHING looks fantastic EXCEPT the club pip. I really don't like it.
badpete69
Decks Owned: 1500

Re: Marquis Playing Cards by Brendan Hong now live

Unread post by badpete69 »

Now live
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

As much as I love Brandon's work, this one just doesn't seem to get it for me. YMMV

I truly think he's trying too hard. This campaign is much too complex. *smh*
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
shaitani

Mike Ratledge wrote:I truly think he's trying too hard. This campaign is much too complex. *smh*
I was about to say the same, this might be one of the most complex system of tiers I've ever seen on a project. I had to re-read and change my pledge several times and I still don't think I'm done. There's no way to get "1 of each"...
TGunitedcardists

I'm in for $99 CAD with two Nobel and two Royal, even with the funky clubs I don't like!

As usual, the court cards are fantastic. The back design is also killer. Different clubs, I would have bought a brick or two!
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

$20 (US) EB a deck is high, despite the limited numbers, in my opinion. But I went for the pair.

I looked again @shaitani and couldn't find 1 of each deck tier. He should have done the JR picture of "tier code and what you get" to help.
Move on, nothing to see here.
Bikefanatic

It would've made since to have a tier of each of the three decks but to me the Imperial version doesn't look attractive enough to even bother with it since it's mostly a tuck swap inside a carat case.

-Lotrek

sinjin7

Unread post by sinjin7 »

$16.00 shipped for an EPCC deck doesn't do it for me. There would have to be foil on the backs of the cards to entice me at that price. The artwork is nice, I actually like the standard Noble courts better. But it just seems like I've already seen the courts and Jokers on his "limited" Royal decks many times before in his previous decks. Obviously Brenden has the right to overprice his decks as he sees fit, but it just seems to me that unless you're a big fan of his work (and there are a lot out there), there's just not any reason to pay $16.00 for one of his standard decks when there's really not anything that separated it from another nicely designed deck you can get for $12.00 from the USPCC, which imo is a faster and better printer. I mean, no one even mentions anymore that EPCC/LPCC was supposed to be a more economical and faster alternative because its such a joke. The great thing about so many high quality, well-designed decks coming out these days is that you can really sit back and pick and choose. If these were in the regular $12.00 price range, I would definitely pick some up, but at $16.00 it's an easy pass.
jerichoholic
White Whale: Many
Decks Owned: 4800

Unread post by jerichoholic »

This are my thoughts. I personally prefer the Noble deck over the Royal deck. I think the color on the back design is much nicer and I much prefer the more traditional court cards over his style of court cards, though the tuck case leaves something to be desired. It's weird that the nicer deck is not the limited edition deck.

I think the fact that not 1 person has pledged for the single or double Royal decks is telling and probably not a good sign for the project. Doesn't really have anything special to it, despite being the limited edition deck. The backs are fine but some color would be nicer than white/grey imo and the court cards are just copied from his previous decks, which is a bit lazy imo, especially for the "limited" edition deck and the price he is asking for it. It should be better than it is, as others have pointed out and considering the price of it and by the lack of pledging for it seems like most people agree.

Anyway just my 2 cents. I might drop down to the Noble myself.
Save 10% at Playing Card Decks here - https://app.marsello.com/Portal/Custom/ ... 561772eaee
Save 10% at Card Addiction here using code VJOSE32 - https://card-addiction.com/?ref=1efow7c06m
Check out my collection - http://portfolio52.com/profile/124
Check out my reviews - https://www.youtube.com/vjose32
The Card Club - https://www.facebook.com/groups/vjose32
Instagram - http://www.instagram.com/vjose32
Game Collection - https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/vjose32
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

I agree with you guys. For me this will be yet another time I pass on a beautifully designed Brendan Hong deck due to price. I fear I will never own any of his decks at this rate.
shaitani

RichK wrote:I looked again @shaitani and couldn't find 1 of each deck tier. He should have done the JR picture of "tier code and what you get" to help.
Looks like the message got to him, the kickstarter project was updated with a tier code pictograph, and it makes it a lot easier to visualize. Although I'm still not sure why there are so many tiers. There's also still no way to add the Royal Edition.

I've got the H1, Carat Imperial + Imperial, and I think I'm happy with that for the time being. I may throw in a Noble or two as we get closer to the end just so I can have both sets of cards.
Sparkz
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by Sparkz »

I love Brendan's work and I've been looking forward to this.

It may not be your cup of tea, or you may not like the price and your allowed to have your opinion, but, while there is no denying the art is from Brendan Hong, each of his decks are unique. If your not familiar here are the King of Hearts from his decks.....nothing copied from prior decks or re-used here.
Attachments
17571009_10154824844393153_178077750_o.jpg
17571996_10154824844398153_515484943_o.jpg
shaitani

How dare he have his own style... /s

I feel like that complaint about the Royal Edition being "the same" as his older work is like the people that occasionally complain about Giovanni's style with his last few releases. It's a few people that want to see something radically different every single project. It's pretty weird, because despite the general style, Brendan is actually expressing a pretty damn good variety in his artwork.

I support everyone's right to complain and criticize artists and their work (especially those who buy the art), but those who do should at least take a step back and really think about what they're saying to make sure they are being accurate and fair, as opposed to just reactionary.
JuFiN
White Whale: Delirium Signature

Unread post by JuFiN »

Yea, It makes no sense to me either, artists have styles, if you like it why complain when they use that style on future unique decks. If you want something radically different then buy from a larger variety of artists.

I love Brendan's style, but more so I love Giovanni's recent decks, yea they use the same art style but that's because its the same artist and Ill back that shit every time.

If the style is good I would rather the artist use it on every deck than to risk trying a style they arent comfortable with and producing lower quality work.
jerichoholic

Well other creators change it up with each project so I don't think it's asking too much.

I still agree with others that the price is too high especially considering the lack of any "bells and whistle" stuff. If the price was lower it would have funded already. Doesn't help the goal is ridiculously high as well.
Save 10% at Playing Card Decks here - https://app.marsello.com/Portal/Custom/ ... 561772eaee
Save 10% at Card Addiction here using code VJOSE32 - https://card-addiction.com/?ref=1efow7c06m
JuFiN
White Whale: Delirium Signature

Unread post by JuFiN »

In this case altho the underlying style is similar and its easy to see that all the decks he showed in the latest update were made by the same guy, I think they are unique enough to be truly independent of each other. Even just the two decks in this campaign.

Some artists do have wider artistic range, but I would rather get Brendan's best deck than one slightly worse because he wanted to try something new. Changing style purely for the sake of change isnt a compelling reason to me.

The royal edition does have foil on the cards as far as whistles go. The price of decks on KS does seem to go up every day though and this one is a bit pricey.
shaitani

JuFiN wrote:Yea, It makes no sense to me either, artists have styles, if you like it why complain when they use that style on future unique decks. If you want something radically different then buy from a larger variety of artists.

I love Brendan's style, but more so I love Giovanni's recent decks, yea they use the same art style but that's because its the same artist and Ill back that shit every time.

If the style is good I would rather the artist use it on every deck than to risk trying a style they arent comfortable with and producing lower quality work.
Agreed 100%.
jerichoholic wrote:Well other creators change it up with each project so I don't think it's asking too much.

I still agree with others that the price is too high especially considering the lack of any "bells and whistle" stuff. If the price was lower it would have funded already. Doesn't help the goal is ridiculously high as well.
So, I don't know about that. It might be a valid wish to have a great artist branch out into other styles, but I don't know if it's a fair complaint. It would be like complaining about a Monet painting saying that one of his paintings is too similar to a previous one in style because they're both French impressionist.

In Brendan's case, I personally feel that they're different enough (more than sufficiently) that I'm happy to back these and look forward to them. If they weren't different enough to meet my satisfaction, I'd probably skip this particular project and wait until his next one.

As for the price, well, I agree with you there. If it was cheaper I would have bought more myself, so that's a decision from the artist that we have to discuss with ourselves to see how we feel in paying it. It's a gamble the artist will take in evaluating his own standing in the marketplace, and we'll see if it pays off for him.
TGunitedcardists

Looks like Brendan was reading this thread.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/52 ... ect_update" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's nice of him to show some fire in his belly and let the artwork refute some of the nonsense in this thread. By putting all the court card artwork together, it reaffirms how amazing each design is. He has an artist flair, and you can tell they are all from the same artist. Much like Stockholm 17 and Thirdway Industries stuff.

I'm really looking forward to this deck even more now, ♣ warts and all LOL,and I'm going to do my part and add on a few more decks. Early days, but I hope this one funds!

Yeah, I'm a super fan and proud of it!
jerichoholic

I admit, I was wrong, it is different than the previous ones but still along the same style, my mistake.
Bikefanatic

Smh. Some people are never satisfied. They could never create a deck themselves but always complain. Brendan put out TWO different styles and still complaints.

-Lotrek

sinjin7

Unread post by sinjin7 »

sinjin7 wrote:...The artwork is nice, I actually like the standard Noble courts better. But it just seems like I've already seen the courts and Jokers on his "limited" Royal decks many times before in his previous decks. Obviously Brenden has the right to overprice his decks as he sees fit, but it just seems to me that unless you're a big fan of his work (and there are a lot out there), there's just not any reason to pay $16.00 for one of his standard decks...
This comment was not meant to imply that all his court cards and jokers are identical, but that stylistically they are very similar. When I saw his KS update showing his past courts, I actually laughed because I thought he was basically proving my point. If you randomly show me a court card or joker from any of his previous decks, I would be able to easily identify it as Brendan's due to its very similar style. For many, that's a good thing, and obviously some artists have a signature style. But for me, it gets repetitive/boring after a point. I don't need deck after deck after deck of the same/very similar thing. That's what I was trying to convey in my post and the reason why I preferred his standard courts, because its the biggest departure from his previous stuff. Giovanni is another example of an artist having a type. While I love his decks and courts, I didn't pledge for his Sins decks because, for me, it was just more of the same (even though the courts aren't identical). That's why I said in my post that unless you're a big fan of Brenden and his style, you may not keep buying decks that are stylistically so similar. Go to Brenden's website and look at his non-playing cards art portfolio and you'll see very similar drawings of colorful, kiddy, cutesy, almost anime-like characters.

However, in contrast to artists like Brenden and Giovanni, I appreciate artists that have much more range. Uusi is a perfect example. NONE of their courts are stylistically similar, yet they are all independently beautiful in their own unique way. I am much more impressed that Peter and Linnea can produce such diverse work that is consistently excellent over multiple projects, as opposed to a particular artists doing just one thing excellently, over and over and over again. I love the variety I see when I look at my Uusi collection. And Jackson is another example of an artist with incredible range. My collection of Brenden's decks or Giovanni's decks all just kind of look the same to me courts-wise and joker-wise. Then again, if you're a big fan, you probably can't slurp up the same/similar stuff fast enough, and that's you're right to do so.
Marcus
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by Marcus »

Some artists aim for a broad range and different styles, other work on creating a specific signature style. Brendan falls into the latter, and with it comes pros and cons. For those who appreciate that particular voice it's always a treat to see, but it limits the potential customer base of course.

The update made was not in reference to anything posted here, but was about a comment made by Victor on the Project page. So I have to hand it to you, Victor. You've managed to get a rise out of two different project creators in just a day or two apart. Quite the feat. ;)
sinjin7 wrote:...The artwork is nice, I actually like the standard Noble courts better. But it just seems like I've already seen the courts and Jokers on his "limited" Royal decks many times before in his previous decks. Obviously Brenden has the right to overprice his decks as he sees fit, but it just seems to me that unless you're a big fan of his work (and there are a lot out there), there's just not any reason to pay $16.00 for one of his standard decks when there's really not anything that separated it from another nicely designed deck you can get for $12.00 from the USPCC, which imo is a faster and better printer.
Oh now, Mr lawyer. using loaded words like that when trying to sound innocent isn't gonna pass by unnoticed. :D A fair comment would've been that he has the right to price his decks as he sees fit. Or that he has the right to overprice his decks. Saying "overprice his decks" suggests that he is actively, and with intent, overpricing his decks.

I'm not a fan of the current prices in general for decks these days ($10+ from a big company, $12-15+ on KS), but $16 for an EPCC deck is really not any different than a $12 deck + $3-4 shipping for a USPCC deck. The costs to print with both USPCC and EPCC have gone up since EPCC launched a few years ago, and the difference isn't as big anymore.

With the hours put into a design like this I'm fine with paying these prices. I rarely pledge for decks these days, and so I manage to costs that way. Others will bow out of this one and pledge for something else instead. To each his own, but I can't agree that these are in any way overpriced compared to what you get and how the rest of the market is looking.
Yes, I might be the guy you remember from that thing at that place way back when.