Kings Wild Project, Arthurian

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
sinjin7
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 1500

Re: Kings Wild Project - Sneak Peek of The Arthurian!

Unread post by sinjin7 »

$16.00 shipped for one EPCC deck? Never going to happen, easy pass for me. Probably the worst tuck box Jackson has ever produced. I actually think the courts are pretty nice, but the back design would've killed it for me even if this deck was reasonably priced, which it's most definitely not. I agree with Victor, a 1000 print run for the "limited" Camelot edition is a butt load of decks, I expect to see these available for quite a long period of time until they're liquidated off on Touch of Modern. I don't know if he'll be able to sell 1000 regular edition decks in this KS campaign, much less 1000 "limited" editions. At least Jackson set his estimated delivery date waaaay out to September so its less likely he'll be late, yet again, with fulfillment. If he can't fulfill a KS playing card project within six months, maybe he should be doing something else.

Speaking of doing something else, its a bit of a concern for me that he's obviously trying to direct traffic to his new YouTube channel in order to monetize his YT account. I'd prefer to see him be 100% focused on not screwing up another KS campaign, given his recent track record, instead of messing around with pumping out YouTube content for AdSense coin. . .
jerichoholic
White Whale: Many
Decks Owned: 4800

Unread post by jerichoholic »

It always seems to be about the money with him. I wonder what the actual production cost of the Camelot decks is.
Save 10% at Playing Card Decks here - https://app.marsello.com/Portal/Custom/ ... 561772eaee
Save 10% at Card Addiction here using code VJOSE32 - https://card-addiction.com/?ref=1efow7c06m
Check out my collection - http://portfolio52.com/profile/124
Check out my reviews - https://www.youtube.com/vjose32
The Card Club - https://www.facebook.com/groups/vjose32
Instagram - http://www.instagram.com/vjose32
Game Collection - https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/vjose32
Bikefanatic
Decks Owned: 333

Unread post by Bikefanatic »

This is an easy pass for now, it doesn't look like his "normal" work. I think the tuck kills it for me.
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

*MY PORTFOLIO52 PROFILE https://portfolio52.com/profile/26674

* MY SELLER REVIEW viewtopic.php?f=28&t=16586
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

badpete69 wrote:
RichK wrote: Might be the first KWP I pass on.
I am cutting down my collecting habits by at least 75% and this makes it easy.. Pass on this one
I have been doing the same for a while now (probably closer to 90%) and have passed on most of his last decks. This one is the easiest so far though. There's almost nothing I find appealing, not the Excalibur back, not the courts, not even the indices. The only thing that is somewhat interesting is the Camelot back, and that's partly because I think it might look much better in-hand than in the pictures if they can make the colors pop. I guess I also think the Excalibur tuck is kinda nice.

So yeah, not much to go on for me. The project seems to be doing decently despite the general consensus of posters here though, so I guess he has a silent majority of fans out there.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
jsantafe

Unread post by jsantafe »

I think the deliver as promised critic to JR are absolutely spot on. Also that, in spite of that, he still manages 3 projects at the same times (legal tender, pearl tally and this one). We used to hear that he could do it because he always delivers, but not anymore.

Also, pricing is quite high for us, hardcore collectors, that have a wide view of the market. 30USD would be very reasonable for the Camelot deck (although I don't think it will disappoint, and the money back is always there with JR).

However, I can't agree with the comments about this being his worst deck. It's a deck that tells a story and is, as we can see in the updates, funded in a previous investigation, both for style of courts and backs, and story behind the characters.

Compare this with Crazy Eights, or even Wasteland... Art looked good but shallow.

And also I can't really understand all that critic to "empty space", it's the very basis of art and design, not all the canvas must be filled. In many cases, the least crowded cards look better that the others. In fact, I prefer the standard courts in Crazy 8s over the limited, and in the Arthurian, I am not sure I like the Camelot cards over the Excalibur.

I pledged only for the Camelot deck, and I really am on the fence of dropping, it's too much for a single deck. I think 35€ I paid for the Skull&Bones deck is my limit for a limited, retail (first hand) deck, but we shall see.

Also, whatever we say, his backers don't seem to show up too much around here, or at least comment.
JS

Every deck I open makes your sealed one more valuable. You're welcome.
Justin O.
White Whale: Jaqk Cellars V1
Decks Owned: 400

Unread post by Justin O. »

I actually really like the art on this deck, I think there is something that feels really traditional and old-world about the court illustrations. They remind me of classical religious illustrations like I would expect from a very old bible or church document. I am also passing, but wanted to offer that I think the art is a good fit for the theme and I like the change in style. More than I appreciated the garish design of the Crazy 8's set
Jackson completely revolutionized the way I waste money...
Thedissident001

Re: Kings Wild Project, Arthurian -- Live on KS

Unread post by Thedissident001 »

Okay, I'm just going to put my honest opinion out there with this deck. The artwork with this deck is so simplistic and extract for someone who has proven multiple times over that they are capable of so much more - It's like Picasso option to pick up a crayon and doodle on some fish and chip paper. I just don't get it. It especially doesn't fit a theme where detailed design would seriously benefit the subject matter.

I say all of this as one of Jacksons previous biggest fans. His whole modus operandi seems to have changed over the last little while. Just sad to see one of the main reasons I got into the hobby accelerating backwards. Don't have to worry about his opinion on any of this, as these days he is too high and mighty to even respond on the forums. Ironic the one project he's had chosen as "Projects we Love" on Kickstarter is arguably his biggest steaming heap of the last few years.
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

I wanted to see what a few other people said before I commented, but this one just seems too cartoonish to me.
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
jsantafe

I feel it reflects medieval art decently, doesn't it?

JS

chach
White Whale: Vietnam Era Secret Weapon
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by chach »

jsantafe wrote:I feel it reflects medieval art decently, doesn't it?

I'd say if you crossed real medieval art with Southpark you'd end up with what we have here.
WTB/WTT: Vietnam Era Bicycle Secret Weapon Deck
jsantafe

Hahaha!
That could be a thing, yes!
JS

rorschach

Unread post by rorschach »

I would agree. More specifically it is mimicking that of a manuscript, in which case I would say the artwork is well done.
jsantafe wrote:I feel it reflects medieval art decently, doesn't it?

jsantafe

Book of Kells

Maybe it could be more elaborate seing the original inspiration, but it's still nice art. Not amazing but adding the topic and the Camelot tuck (if done as presented) makes itba good project, imo.
JS

jsantafe

Book of Kells

Maybe it could be more elaborate seing the original inspiration, but it's still nice art. Not amazing but adding the topic and the Camelot tuck (if done as presented) makes itba good project, imo.
JS

shaitani
White Whale: Artistic Spring

Unread post by shaitani »

JR updated the KS with a new add-on for the Camelot Edition pledgers to be able to add a demo deck.

Several comments from me:

1. Business-wise it's a smart move for him to only allow Camelot Edition pledgers to add this to their pledge.
But customer-wise, it's kind of annoying. Some people don't have or don't want to spend $42+ to grab a Camelot edition, so why not offer them the demo deck for let's say $10?

2. I kind of prefer if he didn't create the 'excalibur edition' at all. The tuck is pretty weak, the art is just a lesser version of the camelot art in every conceivable way. It's still not really affordable. So I don't really see the point.

3. Tangent rant: why do people call them "display decks". They should be called almost literally anything else. 'Display' is exactly what they're not for. They should be called "demo decks" or "player decks" or "user decks" or something.
PrincessTrouble

Unread post by PrincessTrouble »

shaitani wrote: 3. Tangent rant: why do people call them "display decks". They should be called almost literally anything else. 'Display' is exactly what they're not for. They should be called "demo decks" or "player decks" or "user decks" or something.
I feel exactly the same way. The fancy tucks are display decks. These are player decks.
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by rousselle »

Okay, if I recall correctly (and, I'm really too lazy at the moment to look up the original justification that JR gave with the first time he included display decks... was it the Scarlet Tally's?), the reason these are called display decks is because the cards themselves can be displayed, without having to break open a fancy shmancy tuck seal. Hence, a display deck is a deck of display cards. It's not a display tuck.

That's how I read it, anyway. Your mileage clearly may vary.

As it is, I've been sitting on the fence on this one, leaning toward "no." I'm now sitting on the fence, leaning toward "yes." The addition of the display deck definitely makes a difference for me. And, while I agree with others that it would be nicer to have the display deck option (even if it's at a slightly higher price) for non-Camelot backers, I don't think this approach is unreasonable. In theory, the only people who end up with the display decks are people who have the tucks that those decks would appear within....
This space intentionally left blank.
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

rousselle wrote:Okay, if I recall correctly (and, I'm really too lazy at the moment to look up the original justification that JR gave with the first time he included display decks... was it the Scarlet Tally's?)
I looked. It was the Independence (Continental/Crown) for the Limited Edt. was his first "deck to look at without Limited breaking seals". They were for the Ltd. backers only. Free too.
Move on, nothing to see here.
montecarlojoe
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

It was also a way to offer an edition of the deck that was smaller than the minimum print run - 4000 decks at the time I think?

Minimum tuck runs were much smaller, and the plain tuck is obviously cheaper to produce.

2000 Decks + 500 LE + 1500 Display has more marketing potential than 4000 straight decks! (Not meant as a negative criticism - pretty smart if you ask me)
EndersGame

Unread post by EndersGame »

I actually like the look of the Arthurian deck a lot - the court cards look fantastic!
--
BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame => Playing Card Reviews <=>Magic Reviews <=> Board Game Reviews <=

TGunitedcardists

Unread post by TGunitedcardists »

montecarlojoe wrote:It was also a way to offer an edition of the deck that was smaller than the minimum print run - 4000 decks at the time I think?

Minimum tuck runs were much smaller, and the plain tuck is obviously cheaper to produce.

2000 Decks + 500 LE + 1500 Display has more marketing potential than 4000 straight decks! (Not meant as a negative criticism - pretty smart if you ask me)
Exactly. I'm on the fence still. I'm leaning towards PASS, but, still unsure. If I do pledge, it would be for one Excalibur Edition. I'd like to pick up a display deck, but that's not how it's structured.

For all the complaining (I was one of them) that this project wasn't up to par, Jackson Robinson hit $61,000+ already, and I don't think this deck comes close to the quality of many of his past projects! He's a machine with a massive card playing list.
Bruno

Unread post by Bruno »

Jacksons output predominantly being US-centric, this project mines a Euro-centric subject, giving those across the pond a hit.
Up there fer thinking.
O, I beg of you your comprehensions,
yet laugh at your contempts ....
my only competition is with myselves.

But Lèse-majesté, especially >Normans, natch.

Is jarnstill the Ars of the Hors Nebulous ?
Neigh .... the Effluxor of the Omniverse ??
JuFiN
White Whale: Delirium Signature
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by JuFiN »

My issue is that the Camelot version is strictly better artwork wise but because of the custom case its $36 which is way more than i'm willing to pay for a deck just because of nice art seeing as i'm not interested in the tuck so much on this one.

Then the Excalibur edition is more reasonably priced at $12, but then add $4 for shipping and that again is a higher price than the vast majority of decks with similar features. I wouldn't mind paying that extra if I felt the art justified it. But in this case given that the art is strictly worse than that of the Camelot deck it just feels i'm being ripped off no matter what version I get. If I could take the deck from Camelot edition and stick it in the Excalibur edition box and therefore pay the $16 for it I would back in an instant, but as is i'm still sitting this one out.

That said, If money was no object I would be all over this as the art is quite good in my opinion. Just a little overpriced for me, and it feels somehow wrong that the he made such a beautiful deck as the Camelot and then seemingly removed a bunch of features for no reason because its not like it costs him extra to have better artwork, for the sole purpose of forcing those who want the real completed version to pay double just because its in a silly tuck. And then STILL asks premium pricing for the ugly step brother version of the same deck. blah...
chach
White Whale: Vietnam Era Secret Weapon

Unread post by chach »

JuFiN wrote:it feels somehow wrong that the he made such a beautiful deck as the Camelot and then seemingly removed a bunch of features for no reason because its not like it costs him extra to have better artwork, for the sole purpose of forcing those who want the real completed version to pay double just because its in a silly tuck. And then STILL asks premium pricing for the ugly step brother version of the same deck. blah...
Exactly this. No reason to put out a deck with sub-par artwork. Put Camelot in a regular tuck and I'd back it. Force me to buy a gimmicky tuck that probably won't be anything like its render and I'll waive from the sidelines.
WTB/WTT: Vietnam Era Bicycle Secret Weapon Deck
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

Yes yes yes. If only he had used the quality art and skipped the half effort I would have been all over this. Not going to spend money on a deck I don't want just to get one I do, and then over pay for a tuck I also don't feel that she worth it. Maybe next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jerichoholic

Am I the only one getting tired of Jackson Robinson just slightly modifying the courts/faces of the limited edition deck by adding unnecessary borders? At least with some previous decks he recolored the courts a bit, not the case in this one.

Oddly enough I much prefer the court cards on the standard deck and the backs of the limited deck. Pass for me, too many other better decks on KS at the moment and still waiting on his last 2 projects to deliver.
Save 10% at Playing Card Decks here - https://app.marsello.com/Portal/Custom/ ... 561772eaee
Save 10% at Card Addiction here using code VJOSE32 - https://card-addiction.com/?ref=1efow7c06m
jsantafe

The more all campaigns start to look like Minty's, the better for us all.

Although I confess I pledged here
JS

Justin O.
White Whale: Jaqk Cellars V1

Unread post by Justin O. »

jsantafe wrote:The more all campaigns start to look like Minty's, the better for us all.

Although I confess I pledged here
What makes Steve Minty projects worthwhile? I backed a few and found them to be pretty run of the mill kickstarter projects, not bad, but not great. They just exist.
Jackson completely revolutionized the way I waste money...
jerichoholic

Jackson is now stooping to new lows. He has just refunded my Legal Tender pledge, preventing me from making comments on the project. He's resorting to silencing people, or at least me, for commenting on stuff that is effectively his own doing in this case.

I simply posted a comment that he should not sell something without knowing if he will be able to deliver, in this case the holographic strips, which I don't think is much to ask of a playing card creator. Make some samples, test it out. I also commented that considering the delays and how much he made on the project that he could have airmailed the decks from Taiwan instead of causing another 1 month delay.

Apparently he is still sending me the 2 decks I pledged for but I'm not sure I will back anymore of his projects. Not if he can't handle some criticism.
shaitani
White Whale: Artistic Spring

Unread post by shaitani »

jerichoholic wrote:Jackson is now stooping to new lows. He has just refunded my Legal Tender pledge, preventing me from making comments on the project. He's resorting to silencing people, or at least me, for commenting on stuff that is effectively his own doing in this case.

I simply posted a comment that he should not sell something without knowing if he will be able to deliver, in this case the holographic strips, which I don't think is much to ask of a playing card creator. Make some samples, test it out. I also commented that considering the delays and how much he made on the project that he could have airmailed the decks from Taiwan instead of causing another 1 month delay.

Apparently he is still sending me the 2 decks I pledged for but I'm not sure I will back anymore of his projects. Not if he can't handle some criticism.
My guess would be that he is tired of your comments in particular due to your relatively unpleasant manner of speaking your mind. So I understand why he would do that, he probably wants to cut down on the extremely negative comments. That said, I do think he's wrong, unless you're actually disrupting the project in some meaningful way, that's a harmful type of censorship. Everything I've heard you complain about in Legal Tender has been valid and JR needs to hear it. If he keeps it up and keeps silencing any criticism, his work will stagnate and his reputation will be too damaged. I hope he's not going down that path because I do like his work overall, and I don't want him to bury his reputation like he seems to be doing.