[Jock1971] My Collection

Members are welcome and encouraged to "Show Their Cards" here. Don't be bashful!
Forum rules
  1. Make a new thread. Be sure to put your username in square brackets [] at the beginning of the title.

2. Write a small (or big, if you want) introduction about you, your collection and your collecting habits.

3. Post as many pictures of your decks as you want in your thread, with or without descriptions.
    (But please refrain from posting pictures of your collection in someone else's thread.)

4. Have fun with it, be creative, and check out other users' threads as well :)

shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller
Collector: Yes

Re: [Jock1971] My Collection

Unread post by shermjack »

I must agree with Bruno, those British Rope decks are DOPE! I also like the postcard set, a nice substitute for the deck itself.

Someday what I would really like to see is where you keep all your cards, do you have a small warehouse? :lol:

As always, thanks for sharing your wonderful and diverse collection as it is always a pleasure seeing your posts! :ugdance:
A deck a day helps keep the addiction at bay!

Check out my collection on Instagram @caratcasecreations
Jock1971

Unread post by Jock1971 »

Thanks Bruno & Sherman :D Two people actually like my Waddingtons :ugdance: :ugking:
shermjack wrote: I also like the postcard set, a nice substitute for the deck itself.
I have the deck ,i posted scans in the Russia section of worldwide, so its more of a companion than a substitute.

I got two kickstarters in this week. First is Wicked Kingdom by Wylie Beckert.
1372.JPG
Victorian Playing Cards ,produced in 1897 by Goodalls.
1373.JPG
A Russian deck designed by Irina Bordei and printed by Saratov in 2009.
1374.JPG
And a gilded Waddingtons deck to finish.
1375.JPG
Thanks for looking at my cards :D -jase-
Jock1971

The second kickstarter is Little Atlantis, designed by Yellow Dice and produced by Gamblers Warehouse.
1376.JPG
Cartes des Rois de France, Printed by Edizione del Solleone in 1986. The second of four decks produced in 1644 by Jean Desmarests that was intended to educate the young King Louis XIV.
1377.JPG
Jeu Portrait Francais en Pied, printed by Grimaud in 1983.In 1810 Napoleon decided that a new national pattern was needed to replace the out-dated revolution packs, After a few unpopular attempts at designing a new pattern by various artists,a redrawing of the original Paris Pattern became the National pattern once again.
1378.JPG
And a couple of advertising decks from Waddingtons to finish today.
1379.JPG
Jock1971

Not posted recently due to getting new position at work with a different shift pattern and longer hours, just needed a few weeks for my body to work normally again :lol: :lol:
Here`s Greille from JP playing cards, i got the set the day after they went on sale :drool: :drool: another great addition to the LUXX series.
1380.JPG
Chinesen Tarok produced by Piatnik No.2884, A reprint of a deck by Joseph Estel from 1820.
1381.JPG
The 1972 annual installation pack from the Worshipful Company of Makers of Playing Cards.
1382.JPG
And a double Waddingtons to Finish.
1383.JPG
This may upset many of you but I`m going to break my tradition of having a Waddingtons to finish, over the next 9 posts, :ugdance: :ugking:
but don`t worry they will be back :lol:

Jock1971

Evgeny Grigorenko has been producing a series of reprints of Russian Playing Cards since 2011. Here is the first 33 deck from the series 1798 to 1943,Unsure of the exact number of decks in the series, the hardback book has 48 decks listed up to the date 2001 and i have seen a few other packs from the series which have not been listed.
All decks from the series can be found at http://www.igralniekarti.ru" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or https://russianplayingcard.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On the 24th of March, 1798, by the Emperor`s decree the right to manufacture and sell within the borders of the Russian Empire was forever granted to the Foundling Hospital - a charity establishment offering custody for orphans. The Board of Guardians of the Foundling Hospital decided to give the exclusive right to manufacture playing cards, in exchange for money to "support orphans". The farming system existed for more than 20 years, namely from the 1st of April, 1799 til the 1st of January, 1820, during that time five tax-farming contracts were registered ,each lasting four years.
1384.JPG
Playing cards were manufactured not only by big factories in both capitals, Moscow and St. Petersburg, but also in remote towns by small makers, who had to buy manufacture warrants from tax-farmers. All cards manufactured by tax-farmers were classified into three classes. The class of cards was defined both by the quailty of the process of manufacture of cards themselves and the technology of printing. The first class contained only the best cards, The second class included both defective cards of the first class and cards of lower quailty compared with the first class cards. The third class, being the worst ones, consisted of `worn out` cards and cards made from russian paper only.
1. RUSSIAN PLAYING CARDS, 1798
1385.JPG
This pack manufactured at the beginning of the tax farming period seems to be rather crude,archaic and almost primitive compared with the European cards that served as original samples. Wood block printing and stencil was used to manufacture cards and no matter where or by whom they were made,it inevitably led to some variability of the card images. The blocks used for printing soon became worn out through very intense usage, this often resulted in the court cards looking rather fuzzy, they often lacked fingers and noses and one could only guess the shapes of some parts of the clothing as their outlines were fragmented
2. RUSSIAN PLAYING CARDS, 1815
1386.JPG
The Russian courts are somewhat modified versions of those found on cards typical of the northern regions of Germany,which in turn,go back to the traditional French pack. The affinity is evident when we look at postures of the court figures, head`s inclination and eye direction, flowers in Queen`s hand, the orbs, the sword and the sceptre held by Kings,poleaxes held by Jacks. The paints used for colouring of russian cards - Red, Yellow and Blue- are similar to ones used for colouring of cards of German manufacture and have their own symbols. Thus,yellow symbolizes fire, heat, south and wealth, Blue symbolizes wisdom, serenity and selflessness, Red is bravery and courage.
3. RUSSIAN PLAYING CARDS, 1850
1387.JPG
During the first half of the 19th century playing cards of the second class were manufactured in accordance with their traditional design, being much worse in stylistic features in comparison with cards from Europe. Russian engravers, being influenced by conventional standards, still managed to improve the design of face cards of this pack a little, Looking at the pack of second class from 1850, it is quite clear that the design is more refined, the faces aquire human features, and the colouring also improves becoming more precise and bright.

Thanks for looking at my cards :D -Jase-
Jock1971

After a special regulation issued in 1819 we see the closing down of private card factories and the end to the farming system altogether. The imperial card factory of the Alexander manufactory became the sole manufacturer of playing cards in Russian.
4. RUSSIAN TAROK, 1820
1388.JPG
The pack called Russian Tarok or Animal Tarok is a purely Russian product with a Western accent, which manifests itself primarily in the expicit similarity to Burgundian packs of cards of the 17th century. In addition, the European roots are traced unambiguously in the resemblence between head-dresses of the Russian Kings and the Paris- sister pack manufactured in 1808. However, the fact that the cards are still purely Russian is evident from the illustrations of merry peasants with little bears, rabbits gnawing the Russian Aspen, wild boars and grey wolves staring glumly at us from the cards of the Major Arcana. Manufacture of Tarok cards continued until 1855, now complete sets of these packs are very rare.
5. THE GEOGRAPHICAL CARDS OF RUSSIA, 1830
1389.JPG
This pack was created by the talented Konstantin Mikhailovich Gribanov and is remarkable for the fact that it was designed not for the full-fledged card game, but rather as a geographical guide for educational purposes as each card has geographical illustrations on both sides. The front of the cards is divided into four sections, the top left hand corner shows the name and the coat of arms of the province, at the top right corner there is a playng card. At the bottom in the left hand corner there is a list of towns and cities of the province and on the right there is a picture of the traditional costume of the province. The backs of all 60 cards (all different)have the maps of the province from the face side
6. HUNTING PLAYING CARDS by M. ZICHY, 1860
1390.JPG
This unique pack created around 1860 by a Hungarian artist called Mihaly Zichy who was court painter during the reign of three emperors. These watercolours were printed on thin cards with the same coloured plaid backs,the upper part of each watercolour pictures a miniature card of one of the suits and values, while the rest of the space on the cards is occupied by scenes of winter imperial hunting.Vivid and variable in topic, they stand in a row that perfectly reflects the hunting process., the roles of the participants , their hunting passion, interactions and pastimes. This pack was never put into circulation and the original pack designed by M. zichy is now housed in the History of Russian Culture Department of the State Hermitage.
7. FOR THE KINGDOM OF POLAND, 1861
1391.JPG
The sketches used for the pack "for the kingdom of Poland" were based on an old, bygone pack of the so-called old Bavarian style (Altbayerische Bild), this pack with its easily recognizable expressive figures was produced for a long time at the Polish card factories, where old classically crude drawings gained definite sophistication. The images from this pack were completely Russified at the Petersburg card factory,however, the Russian engravers kept fine details, poses and attributed of the figures untouched.

Thanks for looking at my cards :D -Jase-
Jock1971

Technical development of Alexander`s Manufactory, which was owned by the card factory, was held back due to the economic situation in the serfdom Russia. In 1859 the Board of Guardians tried to sell the unprofitable factory to a private individual, but no buyers were found. In 1860 Alexander`s Manufactory ceased to exist as a state-owned establishment, the only part of it still functioning was namely the card factory. The Board decided that it should be governed by the Foundling Hospital, a new building should be constructed, and that its manufacturing process and the management itself should be radically changed.
8. "1st GRADE" by A.I. CHARLEMAGNE, 1862
1392.JPG
In connection with the total reorganization of the factory`s current work process it was decided to upgrade the old card Faces, this question was thoroughly mooted over. The design of new playing cards was entrusted to famous painters in particular to the academic member of painting Adolf Iosifovich Charlemagne. He created four design projects for new cards, one of which became widely known by the name "Atlas". These playing cards have been and still are the most popular cards throughout Russia for one and a half centuries
9. "2nd GRADE" by A.I. CHARLEMAGNE, 1870
1393.JPG
Though in his most successful design project, A.I. Charlemagne didn`t create a fundamentally new card style. His sketches were a result of pure masterful remakes of the old drawings used by the tax farmers in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. Charlemagne`s design was used for the manufacture of "1st Grade", "2nd Grade", and the "Bezique"packs of card as well as for "Extra" cards, after the drastic reformations of the factory in 1860 the second class cards were given the new title of "the second sort" and were subsequently manufactured in packs of 36 cards with a few minor changes in the basic design,though still preserving the established style of the pack.
10. NEW FIGURES by A.I. CHARLEMAGNE, 1862
1394.JPG
"New Face Cards of the academician A.I. Charlemagne" are sketches on four sheets with figures of each suit and two sheets decorated with the design of card "Back" placed on a cardboard cut in half with author`s notes. The style of this deck is often called"renaissance" mostly because all face cards drawn by Charlemagne were wearing medieval costumes. This never published pack truly shows its designer as an artist who perfectly understands the specifics of applied arts through fine lining of the tiniest details, variability of colour shading, and skillful use of Useful space. But the major innovation was that the figures faces acquired distinguishable emotiveness, thoughts and feelings peculiar to each "Portrait".

Jock1971

11. PATIENCE by AI. CHARLEMAGNE, 1862
1395.JPG
The third set of sketches called by Chalremagne "Character of Playing Cards for Patience" shows the court figure represent different Nations from around the world and from different historical eras.judging by the theme of this pack we could easily entitle it "Ethnographic", though it should be admitted that Charlemagne gave his peculiar artistic imagination some liberty in interpretation of the details of some of the National costumes worn by his characters. This pack wasn`t put into production at the card factory, However,A printing of this pack titled "Souvenir Cards" with a small format for patience in a limited number of copies took place at the colour printing factory in 1997.
12. TRAVELLERS by A.I. CHARLEMAGNE, 1862
1396.JPG
The sketch of the fourth pack designed by A.I. Charlemagne was not named as such by the author but throughout the years it aquired the "Travellers", the sketches were made by the artist in the early 1860`s but the pack was not printed until 1870. this pack seems to contain all the peculiar features of the previous couple of packs, mingles them into some new but no less impressive cocktail. This gets especially noticeable if you look at the Jack of Hearts-Harlequin, the most popular character of the Italian outdoor theatre. Being executed in a very exquisite and expressive way, these drawings bear something distinctively unique, something that goes beyond the frame of the style of this pack.
13. A.E BEIDEMAN`S SKETCH No 1, 1862
1397.JPG
The first sketch of cards by academician of Historical painting Alexander Egotovich Beideman has figures dressed in stylized costumes of the Renaissance (Like Charlemagnes figures),The four suits are also distinguished from each other by the colour scheme, Diamonds were presented with calm pastel green-yellow-brown colouring, Hearts with the same colour scheme and a lavish amount of red and pink shades in addition, Clubs were drawn with the help of white, red, blue and yellow. The most fearsome colour scheme and imagery were used for the figures of Spades, prevalence of Black and darkish Violet, almost like a lightning in a thunderstorm.
14. A.E BIEDEMAN`S SKETCH No 2, 1862
1398.JPG
The second sketch of cards show Biedeman as a skilled master in the field of humorous compositions,Amazingly expressive caricatures of the King of Diamonds portrayed as a pompous joker, the Queen of Hearts portrayed as a playful white cat were completely new to Russian card design. Not all the cards acquire a 2 halved reflection, for example, the King of Clubs was presented as a gloomy old man with horns instead of the crown, the upper half shows a thickset wicked creature with its arms crossed on the chest and the lower half shows a miserable martyr with stumps instead of arms.

Jock1971

15. BROCADED PLAYING CARDS, 1870
1399.JPG
Such an unusual name for a pack of cards comes from the word "Brocade" a special type of shining smooth cloth with a silky basis woven with gold and silver threads. The Brocaded cards were made of paper of the highest quality, gilded and trimmed with copper paint and was primarily used to satisfy the needs of the Imperial court. Sketches of cards intended to be used on brocaded cards were bought from De La Rue by the manager of the card factory during a visit to London in 1833, however these cards were not favoured by the Emperor Nikolay I. A complete redrawing of the design with many considerable recast details and a significantly improved style was eventually produced by the factory in 1870
16. POLISH, 1881
1400.JPG
"For the kingdom of Poland" manufactured for a long time and well-known among players could not satisfy them anymore, so in 1881 the Factory started production of the new Polish packs of cards of a better quality.The new pack turned out to be a set of illustrations so different and unusual that during the following years it caused variable names for it to appear. For example, in Russia the pack was called "Face Cards" in Germany "Zirkus-Karte"(Circus Cards), in Italy "Trappola" made for an old card game that required a specific pack of 36 cards.
17. M.O. MIKESHIN THE SKETCH OF CARDS, 1890
1401.JPG
The collection of the Russian museum has "a playing cards project for the Imperial Card Factory" designed by the famous Russian sculptor and artist M.O. Mikeshin. The project is executed in the typical Russian style popular at the time, It contains sketches of twelve halves of face cards ,all the courts representing different characters of Russian folk tales. The project of this pack was demonstrated at the Russian Exhibition of Printing in St Petersburg in 1895 and earned rather flattering reviews, However the pack wasn`t manufactured, players preferred refined stylization to eclectic and detailed excesses like facial expressions of the queens and kings which bothered players and distracted them from the game.
18. SUPERIOR SORT by N.N. KARAZIN, 1897
1402.JPG
Creating characters for the new Russian cards of the Superior Sort, N.N Karazin in the highest degree distinguished himself as a real expert in ethnographical nuances. The cards that were often called "Historical" illustrated characters in National costumes with corresponding details representing various nationalities spread across the territory of the Russian Empire. Unfortunately these cards gained no popularity among buyers, the reason for this might be the fact that the integrity of the card stylistics was lost because the centre of the author`s attention had shifted to external artistic effects. In addition, these images seem fuzzy and the figures are too small and appear lost in the card.

Jock1971

After the pack of cards "Superior Sort" by N.N Karazin had been manufactured, a long slack period in the process of card creation started. Only in 1911 new samples appeared, having failed to involve Russian artists in the process of card design, the factory started to produce new packs of the superior sort using designs purchased from an artist working at the famous Dondorf Card Factory in Germany. Four packs were designed and remained in production for many decades.
19. RUSSIAN STYLE, 1911
1403.JPG
One of the packs titled "Russian Style" allowed Russia to claim that at last playing cards in the true National spirit spirit appeared. This pack is noteworthy due to the fact that its sketches were created were created under the influence of a photo-album of the Imperial charity fancy-dress ball in the style of the 17th century, which took place in 1903. This can be proven by an obvious similarity of the Queen of Clubs to the costume and appearance of the Great Duchess Elizabeth Fyodorovna, while the Queen of Hearts looks exactly like the Picture of the Great Duchess Ksenia Alexandrovna.
20. ROCOCO, 1911
1404.JPG
Another pack designed by the German Artist, the Rococo design used for the design of this pack is some kind of an `Enfant terrible` left to Europe by the baroque style dying away in the first half of the 18th century. The name of the style "Rococo" comes from a French word "Rocaille" which means a curl or a shell. Tough pretentiousness and exceeding sugarness inherited from the Baroque style were smoothed by the Rococo style and turned into a lazy hedonism and intimate boudoirism.
21. NEW STYLE, 1911
1405.JPG
The images for this pack were made in the Art Nouveau style, a very popular style in Russia in the early 20th century, which was able to satisy new artistic requirements of the Russian society. The detailed representation of the outlines of white conventional costumes of all the characters highlights their vivid expressive faces making this pack of cards original and special. All the face cards of each suit are united by a common theme, but these themes aren`t really connected with each other, they are mostly eclectic and mingled.
22. FANCY, 1911
1406.JPG
Playing cards called "Mittelalter-Spieles" manufactured by Dondorf in Germany served as a prototype for the Fancy pack. Through smuggling routes these Medieval decks were spreading and eventually reached Russia where they enjoyed great popularity because of the good quality of printing and the exquisite European drawings. Without further ado the Russian card department decided to fight against smuggling in its own way and soon issued exactly the same medieval pack, of course, adjusted to the realities of Russia, Basically the difference between the two packs can be seen in the finely dawn crosses on the orbs held by the kings, Cyrillic characters and ,of course, a brand "for the benefit of the Imperial Foundling Hospital" on the Ace of Diamonds.

Jock1971

23. DON, 1918
1407.JPG
Designed by the notorious Cossack Chieftain P.N Krasnov,the "Don" pack corresponds to its name in full. The Kings of this pack all represents Don Chieftains, the queens -by Cossack women, the jacks -young Cossacks. All four suits illustrate the history of the Don during four centuries and the Courts are depicted in clothes typical of different centuries ; the Diamonds are clad in costumes from the 16th century, the Clubs in costumes of the 17th century, the Hearts the 18th century and the spades in clothes from the 19th century, The Aces are embellished with drawings peculiar to those ages.
24. SLAVONIC, 1928
1408.JPG
The Slavic pack were among the first cardsof the highest quailty, Since 1932 during a short period of time this pack was exported with a latin index under the title "Slavonic cards". This pack is supposed to have been designed by the German artist at Dondorf Factory, who used Slavonic historico-cultural themes for the depiction of the court cards and the design of the packs as a whole. The pack itself inherited the European tradition of "Theme cards!, therefore each face card of the slavic pack is not just a personification of a particular hero, a nations ruler, but a peculiar portrait of "Characters and does" of the process of development and formation of the Russian state throughout history.
25. HISTORICAL, 1930
1409.JPG
An example of another pack based on the 1911 sketches made by the German artist of the Dondorf Factory is the pack called "Historical" or informally called "Ancient Dynasties". Each suit of this pack is represented by one of the ancient peoples that formed the cradle of antique civilizations : Clubs are represented by the Egyptians, Spades by the Assyrians, Hearts by the Greeks and Diamonds by the Normans. During the 1980`s this pack was reissued in a new design adapted to the offset printing, the court cards lost their soft shades and since then looked more ordinary than they used to be when they were printed using the technology of Chromolithography.
26. PEOPLES OF THE U.S.S.R., 1929
1410.JPG
Not all cards printed by the card factory were appropriate in terms of ideology.the profits for the pack "Peoples of the USSR" was intended to be used for the "Charity" Water rescuers Society and had replaced the noble Russian court cards with figures from four national minorities. Not all Soviet people believed in the good intentions of the card "Charity" and because of"the lack of political correctness" the pack was quickly taken out of production.The only remaining (restored) copy of these cards is exhibited in the museum of playing cards in Peterhof.

Jock1971

27. XVIII CENTURY, 1930
1411.JPG
This pack from a series of exported goods of the card factory is a perfect example of the use of the refined and elegant Art Deco style in the Russian applied graphics, The face cards of the pack appear as bright, expressive characters, which combine streamlining, grace and playfulness of separate illustrations with the thematic filling of the suits. The 18th century pack was manufactured in two variants: a pack of 53 cards for export and an ordinary pack of 37 cards, the manufacture of these cards was short-lived with a limited number of copies and nowadays they are among the rarest cards to find.
28. BURNED PLAYING CARDS, 1932
1412.JPG
In 1932, the popular Soviet magazine "Krokodil" published an article under the title "Burned Cards", waspishly mocking real and imaginary enemies of the Soviet government. The article describes the forgotten realities of the political situation in the USSR during the 1930`s, the text of the article was accompanied by illustrations of the complete set of face cards and aces of the pack,caricaturing all of the mentioned characters. The caricatures accurately preserved poses and gestures of their card prototypes. the artist also managed to successfully replace attributes of the cards, for example putting a gangster`s rifle instead of a sceptre in the hand of the King of Spades represented by a wealthy peasant.
29. ANTI-RELIGIOUS, 1934
1413.JPG
In the 1930`s the card factory made an attempt to manufacture an anti-clerical propagandistic pack of cards entirely consistent with the spirit of the building the new Soviet life. The pack`s title was absolutely simple and unambiguous - Anti-Religious. As well as other packs of the highest quality, this pack was manufactured in quantities both for import and export. The pack was designed by Sergey Dmitrievich Levashov, one of the artists and administrators of the card factory.
30. PALEKH by P.D. BAZHENOV, 1937
1414.JPG
In 1937, the World Exhibition of Arts and Technology was held in Paris. This exhibition went down in history not only as a review of technical achievements of mankind but also as a competition between the Soviet Union and Germany both having the largest Pavilions. Among the showpieces visitors could find playing cards, namely the pack pf playing cards designed by Pavel Dmitrievich Bazhenov called "Palekh" which turned out to be one of the best in the history of the National card industry of all times.

Jock1971

31. ANTI-FASCIST, 1940
1415.JPG
Drastically changing international situation was a source of new themes for designers of playing cards. The short term war between the Soviet Union and Finland in 1939-1940 was a presage of terrifying events of the second world war. The sketch of a pack of cards made in black and white graphics and watercolours was saved. It represents caricatures of Fascist leaders of countries supporting Finland.The fact that the cards were created as a result of the Soviet-Finnish conflict can be judged by the inscription "Voitto" (which means victory in Finnish)on the Ace of Hearts.Generally speaking, all the aces in this pack of cards demonstrate what the Russian gun can do both with a single fascist and with all the "Fascist vermin" taken together.
32. ANTI-FASCIST, 1942
1416.JPG
In the early days of the Great confrontation about forty workers went to the front as volunteers. The card factory, which had recently manufactured only goods for every-day use, quickly realigned its production and started to manufacture special technical paper and since 1941 it proceeded with purely military orders. Since the beginning of the war it was decided to manufacture playing cards with caricature faces of Fascist Parteigenossen and illustrations of nearest future of Nazi camarilla. This pack called "Anti-Fascist" was designed by Vasily Adrianovich Vlasov and manufactured at the card factory in severe conditions of the siege of Leningrad.
33. ANTI-FASCIST, 1943
1417.JPG
There is another pack of cards with anti-fascist images designed during the war by the battlefront artist Ivan Kharkevich. Back in 1942-1943, the artist served at the editorial office of the newspaper"Soldier`s Friend" (Soldatenfreund) at the North-West front. It was published in German and was intended for distrubution in the enemy`s battle array. In general, it is not surprising that the frontline political administration came up with an interesting idea to design "Special" playing cards and throw them into Fascist trenches.

Well that`s the first 33 decks from this series, i hope you have enjoyed seeing them :D
Thanks for looking at my cards- :D -jase-
Jock1971

WOW thanks for all the "Thanks" for the russian posts...its truly appreciated :D :D

I got the Dominus Kickstarter in yesterday. :drool: designed by Nicolai Aaroe and printed by NPCC.
Amazing cards.
1418.JPG
I also received a wonderful package from my good friend Dazzelguts on tuesday, included in the box was this sealed Souvenir of Guernsey deck printed by Alf Cooke. Many many thanks :D :D
1419.JPG
I got the two Indictus decks by Nicolai Aaroe as add-ons from the Dominus campaign.
1420.JPG
And a double "Barrel shaped" advertising set from Waddingtons to finish the post.
1421.JPG
Jock1971

A pack of No. 174 Whist "Costumes Suisses" printed by B.Dondorf of Frankfurt.
1422.JPG
A very strange Chinese printing of a Russian deck :lol: The jacks are repeating and is taken from the Jack of Diamonds from the "Historical" pack, The Queens & Kings are taken from the "Slavonic" pack, the Ace of Diamonds is an "Atlas" (satin paper) Ace and the design on the tuck is a weird hybrid of the paris and atlas patterns. :?
I LIKE IT :ugdance: :ugdance:
1423.JPG
Lattjo - a deck produced by IKEA of Sweden dated 2014.
1424.JPG
And finally today a double Tax-wrapped deck from Waddingtons in it`s original box it was shipped in, post-date marked November 1954.
1425.JPG
Jock1971

Two kickstarters arrived today.
here`s the first.
1426.JPG
A new Doctor Who deck free with the most recent issue of Doctor Who Adventures magazine, along with a Star Trek deck from 1982.
1427.JPG
Laser Clay printed by Nintendo Playing Cards dated 1970.
1428.JPG
And a couple of Waddington Advertising decks to finish the post.
1429.JPG
Jock1971

The second kickstarter is Jack in the Green by Nic Carter, i got the collectors box with a Vivido deck add-on.
1430.JPG
Doppelkopf printed by ASS of Germany,The deck has a similar structure to a Gaigel deck with 9,10, unter, ober, King and Daus of each suit (X 2) , 48 cards altogether.The cards show the GDR Pattern.
1431.JPG
An advertising deck produced by Litografia Maia of Portugal.date unknown.
1432.JPG
And a Gilded set from Waddingtons to finish today.
1433.JPG

here`s a video of a recent playing card exhibition from the Central Bohemian Museum in Roztoky, Czech Republic
wish i understood what the Lady was saying.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utj5Yd-g45k&t=3s
dazzleguts
Player: Yes
White Whale: Das Kartenspiel Des Oberdeutsc
Decks Owned: 885

Unread post by dazzleguts »

Those Russian decks are amazing, especially the Finnish conflict ANTI-FASCIST from 1940. Love the lines and forms in the illustrations. Though it couldn't be him, it reminds me a bit of Chester Gould's Dick Tracy comics. Was there any indication of who the artist was Jase?

I had a feeling you'd like the Guernsey deck, it has a certain "elegance" ;)

Very glad you posted that made in China "Russian" deck. I like seeing those hodge podge decks China card makers do so well. :ugthink:

The Laser Clay :drool:
is one I have been watching for myself. So many of the Nintendo decks are amoung my faves.
And the design on the Doppelkopf is a favourite too, one that I am happy to say I have. You've probably read it from me before but: Really love that blue!

Enjoyed the video - love listening to Eastern European languages. I wonder if any UC members have been able to see that exhibit.

I don't remember seeing that Litografia Maia before. I think they're the oldest card makers in Portugal (?) so there have been a lot of decks by them. I like that central motif of hands holding cups, and the etching-ish/woodcut-ish texture.
Jock1971

Hello , hope everyone has had an enjoyable holiday :D :D
dazzleguts wrote:Those Russian decks are amazing, especially the Finnish conflict ANTI-FASCIST from 1940. Love the lines and forms in the illustrations. Though it couldn't be him, it reminds me a bit of Chester Gould's Dick Tracy comics. Was there any indication of who the artist was Jase?
Hi Dazzelguts, unfortunately there is no mention of the artist anywhere in the book, i don`t think the deck was even published ,just a copy found in the colour printing factory`s archive that was saved, like a few of the other decks in the series.

Here`s some Waddington decks to get me back into posting here again after my short break.
The 1977 Worshipful company`s annual installation deck printed by Waddingtons celebrates the Queen`s Silver Jubilee, The cards are Gilded in silver instead of the usual Gold and the coat of arms of the company on the box lid is in silver also.
1434.JPG
A couple of Crown Brand decks from De La Rue??? - These are a great find for me as they were printed by Waddingtons in 1942 and have Waddingtons courts.
In 1941 the De La Rue factory on Bunhill Row, London was destroyed in the Blitz. Victor Watson the Director of Waddingtons heard of the disaster and went at once to Bunhill Row where he found Bernard Westfall the Managing director of De La Rue (the two had met before and had become unlikely friends) Victor said "We cant had the jerries interfering with our rivalry, so for as long as the war lasts for every pack of waddingtons playing cards printed A pack of De La Rue cards will be printed. We can keep the sales teams separate but manufacture jointly" This was the beginnings of the Amalgamated Playing Card Company. (Waddingtons also rented out part of their Leeds factory to De La Rue for their banknote production this arrangement lasted until 1962)
1435.JPG
A couple of advertising decks from Waddingtons.
1436.JPG
And a double Waddingtons set to finish off.
1437.JPG
Jock1971

A Russian Poker deck , produced by Sima-Land in 2016.
1442.JPG
Pair of Spanish suited decks titled Atodos Alumbra produced by L. Biermans of Belgium c.1880 . Scans can be seen in the Belgium section of the worldwide thread.
1443.JPG
A Sealed Pair of decks (one red back and one green back) by Claire Mackie for the Folio society dated 2010, i did scans of an open deck a while ago that can be found on Page 2 of the English section of the worldwide thread.
1444.JPG
A Double deck from Waddingtons featuring Snipe backs painted by Barribal.
1445.JPG
Jock1971

Commemorative Olympic Playing Cards Published by Stanley Gibbons Antiquarian. Limited edition printed by Waddingtons in 1979.
1438.JPG
Two single packs from Waddingtons featuring views of London on the backs.
1439.JPG
A double pack from Waddingtons dated around 1971-1974.
1440.JPG
And a Cir-Q-Lar deck from Waddingtons advertising The Grand Hotel in Sheffield to finish today.
1441.JPG
dazzleguts

Nice Cir-Q-Lar! That looks like an earlier deck than my clockwork back ones.
Do you know a date on it Jase? Great that you found decks from the cooperation of De La Rue and Waddingtons. That must have been a good friendship as the association lasted so long. Hard to imagine that happening now.

I always love seeing those A Todos Alumbra, and the simple and delicate, but solid, design of the boxes. The colours are gorgeous too. Partly age and partly how inks used to be.

Interesting treatment of the European 4 indices on the Sima-Land, and I like the back.

More, more! :ugdance:
Worldwide Time Machine

"Cards from far off lands and bygone days!"
Jock1971

dazzleguts wrote:Nice Cir-Q-Lar! That looks like an earlier deck than my clockwork back ones.
Do you know a date on it Jase?
Hi there Dazzelguts :D i remember you asking about the dates for cir-q-lar decks before, these are from the first printing from the 1930`s which ended at the beginning of WWII due to paper shortages, any cir-q-lar cards with the sit down joker or "All British make" on the ace of spades are from the first printings. Any cir-q-lar cards with the stand up jokers are from the 1950`s onwards ,i`m not sure when they finished printing these ,but they are in the 80`s cataloques,so i presume they kept printing them until the Hasbro takeover in the 90`s.
dazzleguts wrote: Great that you found decks from the cooperation of De La Rue and Waddingtons. That must have been a good friendship as the association lasted so long. Hard to imagine that happening now.
The two men (who were poles apart socially) first met in the early 1930`s when Bernard Westall decided to met both Alf Cooke and Victor Watson about Price Fixing. He met with Alf Cooke first then Victor Watson, In that meeting they agreed that price fixing would eventually destroy the competitive edge of both businesses and make them vunerable to attack from others. Instead they instituted an Annual Cricket match and other sports days so that employees from both companies would get to know one another and compete fairly with each other.
As you say i doubt that would happen nowadays.
dazzleguts wrote:I always love seeing those A Todos Alumbra, and the simple and delicate, but solid, design of the boxes. The colours are gorgeous too. Partly age and partly how inks used to be.
Yeah i love`em , The cards came in paper wrappers, which are a little delicate, i`ve only removed the cards twice for fear of the wrappers falling apart. :lol: :lol:
dazzleguts wrote:More, more!
How`s about these....
I got this kickstarter in yesterday. Wood Deck by Max playing cards. The second in his Textile series ,can`t wait to see what Max comes up with next :D
1446.JPG
A Goodall and Sons Bezique deck from c.1863-1870. This is the first Goodalls "Own" Ace of spades design which is based on the "Old Frizzle" Ace of Spades. there are a couple of versions of this Ace ,all identical except the Lettering, this one is the second version which came out in 1863 a year after the first version, all version ran until 1870.
1447.JPG
Peace made by Elaine Lewis dated 2003. 32 cards plus 2 jokers and a title card.
1448.JPG
And a double advertising deck by Waddingtons to finish today :D
1449.JPG
Bruno
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Bruno »

Sublime ....
Thanks Jase !
Love the address on your Shell Mex House pair .... White Waltham for Fairey !
The Walrus/Swordfish pair too ....yum.
Can I say, I have a Stranraer/Spitfire pairing, in a twin lidded box .... which was once entirely sealed, prob. from '39 ....
Not sealed now, tho' tax wrapped still.
Aviation Decks, all right !
Thanks for your Russian Compilation too mate, amazing details ....
O, I beg of you your comprehensions,
yet laugh at your contempts ....
my only competition is with myselves.

But Lèse-majesté, especially >Normans, natch.

Is jarnstill the Ars of the Hors Nebulous ?
Neigh .... the Effluxor of the Omniverse ??
Jock1971

Thanks for the Comments Bruno :D
Here`s The 2005 Worshipful Company`s Installation set celebrating the Bicentenary of the Battle Of Trafalgar.
The Faces are a reproduction of a Hardy pack from around 1805 which was when James Hardy was Master of the company.
1450.JPG
A double advertising deck from Coeur of Germany ,date unknown. The Faces are called "Salon Karte No.66" and were designed by Walter Kraus in 1968.
1451.JPG
The Teddy Deck designed by Peter Wood. Printed by Piatnik in 2005.
1452.JPG
And a double Waddingtons to finish today.
1453.JPG
Jock1971

The DEDALO Kickstarter from Thirdway Industries arrived Today :drool:
1454.JPG
A new book for the collection.Transformation Playing Cards By Albert Field Published in 1987.
208 Page paperback featuring 77 decks dated from 1801 through to 1987 ,Extensive Black and white illustrations with 8 full colour pages.
1455.JPG
Facsimilie of Holz-Karte (Preussisches Bild) printed by Christian Theodor Sutor around 1840-1850.
This edition was produced in 1987 by Franz-josef Holler for the Museum fur deutsche Volkskunde, Berlin.
1456.JPG
And a sealed double set from Waddingtons to finish today.
1457.JPG
Jock1971

A Willis Bezique Set.Willis only produced cards for eighteen years between 1869 and 1887.
1458.JPG
Zodiaque designed by Youdi Des Aubrys and printed by Grimaud in 1980.
1459.JPG
Russian Beer designed and produced by Alexi Orleansky in 2006.
1460.JPG
And a couple of Advertising decks from Waddingtons to finish today.
1461.JPG
dazzleguts

Beautiful cards, as always Jase! Especially the Holz and Zodiaque decks :drool:
Amazing Bezique set too - the Willis designs are so fine and nicely balanced. I love the light blue line work.

Do you have a shelf full of books now?
Worldwide Time Machine

"Cards from far off lands and bygone days!"
Jock1971

dazzleguts wrote:Beautiful cards, as always Jase! Especially the Holz and Zodiaque decks
Amazing Bezique set too - the Willis designs are so fine and nicely balanced. I love the light blue line work.
Thanks Dazzelguts :D you can see the full court cards from the zodiaque deck in the french section of worldwide there are also scans of the willis court in the Enland section as well, the Holz is a recent purchase so have not had time to scan them yet as i`m working on something "big" for worldwide (as you know ;) )
dazzleguts wrote:Do you have a shelf full of books now?
Yes....if the shelf is 10 inch long :lol: :lol: Still looking out for Part one of the Waddington collection by John Berry

Here`s a few Carta mundi decks to pass the time.
Val de Loire designed by Mateja. Don`t know when carta mundi printed these but they were originally produced in 1968 by Le Triboulet and Malherbe.
1462.JPG
A William Lawson`s advertising deck produced in the 1980`s. Love the modified clothing on the court cards.(scans in the scotland section of worldwide)
1463.JPG
Quadrilato, a 40 card Belgium pattern pack for the game Scopa. The Ace of Diamonds has the Upprint "Tibgu Tunisiya" (Tobacco Tunesia)
1464.JPG
And a double advertising deck from Waddingtons to finish today.
1465.JPG
Jock1971

A couple of days late, but here are a few posts to celebrate my 3rd Anniversary of joining UnitedCardists.
Starting off with a all Waddingtons post .....Obviously :twisted:
Fassett`s No-revoke Pack, unsure of actual date but the court cards date the deck from 1930-1938. The box and cards are a bit grubby, but i`m really excited to have a copy of this hard to find deck.
1466.JPG
A tax wrapped double deck advertising Manchester Liners.
1467.JPG
Unique Style Playing Cards. i already have a pack of these without the tuck (Scans and info in the England section of worldwide). Again i am very pleased to find a deck with the tuck.
1468.JPG
And a couple of advertising decks to finish the post.
1469.JPG