Pipmen: World - a real World First! (Funded on KS)

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
PrincessTrouble
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes

Re: Pipmen: World - a real World First! (launching Feb 14th)

Unread post by PrincessTrouble »

Fud wrote: 2) We are offering a really cool Pipmen: Collector's edition with foil, extensive embossing and all the best original Pipmen designs with a new back. Don't miss it!
Tuckbox (Small).png
Is the foil just on the tuck or will there be foil accents on the cards too?
Fud
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Fud »

PrincessTrouble wrote:
Fud wrote: 2) We are offering a really cool Pipmen: Collector's edition with foil, extensive embossing and all the best original Pipmen designs with a new back. Don't miss it!
Tuckbox (Small).png
Is the foil just on the tuck or will there be foil accents on the cards too?
Just on the box for now. If we reach enough funding I'll look into foil backs, though the expense of that with a small print run is prohibitive unless allowed for in the initial pricing.
Fud
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Fud »

The project preview page is now LIVE and available for viewing - check it out see see all the incredible Pipmen and their world:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/58 ... n=e2c93a92" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In addition, look out for:

In the final (mostly-high res picture):

EARLYBIRD PRICING will be available for the first 18 hours! This covers the most popular 3 rewards: 1 Pipmen world deck, 1 world and 1 collectors deck and 1 world, 1 collectors and 1 uncut sheet. Make sure to get in on the first day for the best deal. The 2 decks + 1 uncut is only $53 including shipping - that is SUPER CHEAP of decks + an uncut! Don't miss out

Pipmen World launches Feb 14th, 4pm UT, 8am PST, 11am EST
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Magician: Yes

Unread post by rousselle »

I do not often pick up uncut sheets. This one... yeah. This one is definitely going on my wall.

Great job, Ben. Truly, well done.

Loved your previous Pipmen, but this one kicks it up to eleven.
This space intentionally left blank.
N8_the_Gr8

Unread post by N8_the_Gr8 »

Love the look of this deck! You got some really great ideas here! Great work!
Ursula Beutelhuber

Unread post by Ursula Beutelhuber »

from an aesthetic point of view (mine) those are hideous. yuck!
flashcards
Cardist: Yes
Decks Owned: 600

Unread post by flashcards »

Ursula Beutelhuber wrote:from an aesthetic point of view (mine) those are hideous. yuck!

You're kidding, right? :?:
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

flashcards wrote:
Ursula Beutelhuber wrote:from an aesthetic point of view (mine) those are hideous. yuck!

To each their own. This doesn't really capture me either, to be honest.

I might go for a Pipmen Collector's Edition though.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
ecNate
Decks Owned: 400

Unread post by ecNate »

As an uncut, this is absolutely amazing and a must have. Now that I'm finally framing my collection, I'm already running out of room, but I'll have to find a space for this one somehow.

I do agree though, as a deck the cards are not ideal with colored backgrounds. Compromises though, to make the uncut the deck has to take a hit. I hope enough people pick it up or get the other decks to make it fund.

Thanks for providing some great early bird options with the uncut, I'll be jumping on that for sure and maybe adding an extra deck, especially for the collectors.
Cbkimble
Decks Owned: 363

Unread post by Cbkimble »

As a playable deck, these won't work well at all, but the uncut will look amazing. I know the point is for decks but I think an uncut tier would do very well for this campaign.
Feeding the addiction one deck at a time.
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

How will these not work as playable decks? The indices seem fine, which is the most important part. Would this work better for you if the indices always had a white background behind them?

Edit: Yes, I wouldn't use these at the poker table, but for playing crazy 8's with the kids, these should be just fine. :)
Fud
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Fud »

The deck was designed from concept through to completion on the basis of a single image able to be broken into self contained images, while still being a playable deck of cards. With that goal it is inevitable that the full-art designs will impact on the immediate recognition of the pips. However, I have compensated for the players by including a white border, white blockouts around the standard corner numbers and indices, and a faint border around (almost all) of the face pips. While it certainly isn't as clear as a standard deck of Bicycle cards, it certainly is more interesting. If I had taken it to the extreme of full bleed artwork then it would have been unplayable (though it would have looked really cool).

I don't plan on using this for Poker either, but from the numerous players who have used the prototype for games, the artwork has not once been an issue. When you play games it is the corner indice that is far more important. I happily use this for family games fun and games nights with no problems (except newcomers always want to stop after the first round to make the puzzle!).

Having said that though, of course people have different tastes and preferences. Mine happens to be creativity and functionality, a line I tried to tread with the designs. If your's is more to the functionality side, then it is still a great party deck and cool concept, no hard feelings :) I just get bored of a fancy tuck, fancy back and standard faces when you can do so much more.

Thanks everyone for the feedback so far, I am really excited to get this underway!
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

I just realized... when you (Fud) posted single cards, it was obvious that the indices were on a white block-out, but in the image of your uncut, it looks like the indices are merely on a slightly less-saturated background. That may be why some are saying it doesn't look that playable.

With the indices being as easy to read as your single-card images earlier in this thread indicate, I think these will be plenty playable for my needs. Again, not for the poker table, but for family fun night? These will be great. :-)
Fud
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Fud »

rousselle wrote:I just realized... when you (Fud) posted single cards, it was obvious that the indices were on a white block-out, but in the image of your uncut, it looks like the indices are merely on a slightly less-saturated background. That may be why some are saying it doesn't look that playable.

With the indices being as easy to read as your single-card images earlier in this thread indicate, I think these will be plenty playable for my needs. Again, not for the poker table, but for family fun night? These will be great. :-)
Ah, perhaps I should have been clearer. I stated somewhere that the big sheet I showed had the white borders made transparent so you can see the big picture better (and the hidden detail in the borders), but the final cards will have a full white borders.

The finished cards will look like these (perfectly playable in my opinion):

rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

I probably read that and then forgot about it, because now that you mention it, that sounds familiar.

When we order the uncuts, will they be uncuts of the actual deck, or uncuts with the "transparent" version of the index cut-outs? I'm assuming the uncuts will be the same as the actual cards, but either way works fine with me.
Fud
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Fud »

rousselle wrote:I probably read that and then forgot about it, because now that you mention it, that sounds familiar.

When we order the uncuts, will they be uncuts of the actual deck, or uncuts with the "transparent" version of the index cut-outs? I'm assuming the uncuts will be the same as the actual cards, but either way works fine with me.
Uncuts will be of the actual decks (solid white borders). I'm considering doing a limited full bleed deck version but not yet.

Cbkimble
Decks Owned: 363

Unread post by Cbkimble »

rousselle wrote:How will these not work as playable decks? The indices seem fine, which is the most important part. Would this work better for you if the indices always had a white background behind them?

Edit: Yes, I wouldn't use these at the poker table, but for playing crazy 8's with the kids, these should be just fine. :)
I meant as far playing standard adult games, i.e. poker, cadillac, etc. I'm sure kids would have fun with this deck.
Ursula Beutelhuber

Unread post by Ursula Beutelhuber »

flashcards wrote:

no. to me this is a lame idea, lame execution, it looks like a cheap rendering or something. sure, a lot of work went into this. doesn't make it awesome, though.
but it's fine if you like it and put it somewhere you can look at it every now and then and think to yourself: I'm really glad I bought this, it was the right call and enjoy looking at it. :)
Fud
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Fud »

Ursula Beutelhuber wrote:
flashcards wrote:
no. to me this is a lame idea, lame execution, it looks like a cheap rendering or something. sure, a lot of work went into this. doesn't make it awesome, though.
but it's fine if you like it and put it somewhere you can look at it every now and then and think to yourself: I'm really glad I bought this, it was the right call and enjoy looking at it. :)
That's fine, everyone has different things they are looking for, and I don't expect everyone to like the same thing. For instance, I am constantly amazed that people love decks like the Fontain Series - I find that pretty bland. I can't understand how they have sold 17,000 decks or raised hundreds of thousands of dollars with so little deviation from the norm. But people are entitled to like what they will. With Prism, Pipmen and now Pipmen world I try to bring something different to a table which has historically been overwhelmingly uniform. It's a way of scratching a creative itch which I get a lot of enjoyment out of.

On another topic, for those wondering about the playability of this deck as a functional deck of cards - I made a picture!

Fud
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Fud »

Pipmen: World launches in 10 hours! Get in on day 1 for awesome Earlybird specials :)
c89b131786297cfd8b947c08f6a41dfb_original.png
c89b131786297cfd8b947c08f6a41dfb_original.png (265.77 KiB) Viewed 1314 times
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/58 ... n=e2c93a92" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
e976d45b61e766133a4e591c8e12f8ad_original.png
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Fud wrote:
Ursula Beutelhuber wrote:
flashcards wrote:
That's fine, everyone has different things they are looking for, and I don't expect everyone to like the same thing. For instance, I am constantly amazed that people love decks like the Fontain Series - I find that pretty bland. I can't understand how they have sold 17,000 decks or raised hundreds of thousands of dollars with so little deviation from the norm. But people are entitled to like what they will. With Prism, Pipmen and now Pipmen world I try to bring something different to a table which has historically been overwhelmingly uniform. It's a way of scratching a creative itch which I get a lot of enjoyment out of.

On another topic, for those wondering about the playability of this deck as a functional deck of cards - I made a picture!

Ben,

You're right...To each his own. The uncut look stunning and I am able to appreciate the effort, creativity & imagination that would have gone into this. Hats off to you! Good luck with the project.

Regards,
Sunish
LouCipherr
Decks Owned: 200

Unread post by LouCipherr »

It's up, and I'm in. I cannot wait for that uncut sheet, which is going right up on my wall the minute I get it.

Nice work, Ben. Hope this funds quickly!
Fud
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Fud »

Pipmen: World is now LIVE!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/58 ... ying-cards" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Front Picture 3 (Small).png
Make sure to pledge in the first 18 hours to take advantage of the Earlybird pricing! Decks and uncuts are going super cheap with FREE US shipping, you would be crazy not to get in soon :)
Closeups short (Large) (Small).png
Closeups short (Large) (Small).png (472.97 KiB) Viewed 1800 times
See you in the Pipmen's World!
Attachments
Plan picture on table3 (Medium) (Small).png
Plan picture on table3 (Medium) (Small).png (715.88 KiB) Viewed 1800 times
box 1 (Medium) (Small).png
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

Fud wrote:Pipmen: World is now LIVE!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/58 ... ying-cards" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;....

Make sure to pledge in the first 18 hours to take advantage of the Earlybird pricing! Decks and uncuts are going super cheap with FREE US shipping, you would be crazy not to get in soon :)

I see you made it 20 hours, not 18. ;) You're almost at 1/3 funded in 50 minutes!
Move on, nothing to see here.
Fud
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Fud »

RichK wrote:
Fud wrote:Pipmen: World is now LIVE!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/58 ... ying-cards" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.....

I see you made it 20 hours, not 18. ;) You're almost at 1/3 funded in 50 minutes!
I figured I'de give a bit of a buffer, esp as KS timed reward tiers are a bit confusing to work out with time zones... But yeah, it's doing pretty well :) I'm about to go back to bed - it's 4am in Sydney!
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Pipmen: World - a real World First! (LIVE on KS, EB stil

Will you be using BackerKit or PledgeManager for this project?
Fud
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Fud »

rousselle wrote:Will you be using BackerKit or PledgeManager for this project?
I'll probably use Crowdox. I used them for Prism Day and Dusk, and they were OK. Not as good as Backerkit, but as Backerkit have recently doubled their price I can't afford them :S
Fud
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Fud »

Aaaaand we are FUNDED!

12 hours in and we have already funded both decks and unlocked the first stretch goal: Pipmen Posters!
poster wall (Medium) (Small).png
poster wall (Medium) (Small).png (690.09 KiB) Viewed 1708 times
If you like the PIpmen World without the borders, make sure to pick up one of these colorful guys, and enjoy hunting the extra Pipmen in the hidden details between the borders :)
Poster trimmed (Medium) (Small).png
Poster trimmed (Medium) (Small).png (741.81 KiB) Viewed 1708 times
jsantafe

Unread post by jsantafe »

Fud, one question. I'd like to add a full brick of Pipmen world decks (international), to my pledge but can't find the option in the addons table.
There's really no option for that?
JS

Every deck I open makes your sealed one more valuable. You're welcome.
Fud
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Fud »

jsantafe wrote:Fud, one question. I'd like to add a full brick of Pipmen world decks (international), to my pledge but can't find the option in the addons table.
There's really no option for that?
No, I have not made an option to add on a full brick, the reason being is that over several projects I've only had 1-2 people add on that many decks. It's an extra thing to think about that fills up the add on table that I can declutter.

However, if you want to add on a brick, I can include a specific add-on if you would like?