Divine Art Playing Cards Limited Edition

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
Räpylätassu
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937
Decks Owned: 700

Re: Divine Art Playing Cards Relaunch -- Live on KS

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

PrincessTrouble wrote:
Räpylätassu wrote:
PrincessTrouble wrote:
vasta41 wrote:It is quite a conundrum that we often see here: is it better to print a sub-par deck or never print one at all?
My personal opinion is it would be better to never have printed one at all.
Yep, because Icons Sacred and Icons Imperial never should have been made because they are not good quality and not by the Big 3.
This analogy doesn't make sense to me since Lotrek, being a quality snob himself, didn't settle for subpar quality and that is why we have excellence in the final Icons product. But in any case, calling me a quality snob doesn't insult me. That remark resembles me. :)
Sorry for the offtopic: I love both my Icons Imperial and Icons Sacred but let's face it: Neither of them fans. My Imperial is extremely clumpy and my Sacred does not fan at all.
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
4.of.Clubs

Unread post by 4.of.Clubs »

PrincessTrouble wrote:
Räpylätassu wrote:
PrincessTrouble wrote:
vasta41 wrote:It is quite a conundrum that we often see here: is it better to print a sub-par deck or never print one at all?
My personal opinion is it would be better to never have printed one at all.
Yep, because Icons Sacred and Icons Imperial never should have been made because they are not good quality and not by the Big 3.
This analogy doesn't make sense to me since Lotrek, being a quality snob himself, didn't settle for subpar quality and that is why we have excellence in the final Icons product. But in any case, calling me a quality snob doesn't insult me. That remark resembles me. :)
I think the highlights on ICONS decks were all the experiment, stock, special foil we've never seen. If a printer (big 3 or not) can offer some special treatment/effects that we've never seen before, I for one will be happy to buy them. So yeah, you can't compare ICONS to this...
----------> Check out the decks I have for sale! <----------
----------> Also check out my Trade List and Wish List, maybe we can make a deal! <----------
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Hi All,

Divine Art Playing Cards - Limited Edition is live now on Kickstarter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/su ... ed-edition" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A personal challenge I've taken this time apart from putitng my own money is to get this delivered to backers in record time. Fingers crossed.....

I have looked into a no. of projects and there hasn't been any project done with these specs before. It is highly possible that I might have missed it, so do let me know. I'm hoping that this product will be liked by everyone once fulfilled, and hope some of you will then recommend potential deck artists to collaborate and partner with Guru Playing Card Company to get their decks done. This is my ultimate test....

Regards,
Sunish
Räpylätassu

Re: Divine Art Playing Cards Limited Edition -- Live on KS

Gilded deck with gold foil on the back? Sign me the hell up! Backed for one!

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Räpylätassu wrote:Gilded deck with gold foil on the back? Sign me the hell up! Backed for one!
Thanks for the support. I’m still contemplating about the total no. of decks to be made available vs how much to be made available on Kickstarter. The no. I’m coming towards is 555/400 (Total vs on KS). And, if KS picks up then I may get a total of 900 printed. Let’s see how it goes.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Reached the goal...Yay...I know majority is still self-funded but it has been hell of a ride and I wanted to see it get printed. Thanks Mike (Bruno), Rich, Garrett & Paul for your constant feedback & suggestions over the last few days.

Thanks to Lotrek, Jody, Randy for sharing certain key insights & feedback in last few weeks on some of the key focus areas.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

All- Tuckbox has been upgraded to black stock. Check latest update (#2).
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

FYI...EB tiers for 5 & 6 decks have been added.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Hi All,

New stretch goals (booklet and numbered stamp) have been announced. Please check the latest update to know more.

Regards,
Sunish
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

guru wrote:Hi All,

New stretch goals (booklet and numbered stamp) have been announced. Please check the latest update to know more.

Regards,
Sunish
All,

FYI...I've taken down the booklet as the stretch goal. That said, the numbered stamp is available with the deck from this point onwards and without any stretch goal.

Check latest update.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Less than 24 hours to go.....With a twist of fate, the deck will come with the booklet as well as numbered stamp now. With production in process, expect this deck to get in your hands sooner than expected.

Please share and support the first ever deck produced by GPCC.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/su ... ed-edition" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,
Sunish
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Hey Everyone,

Thought of sharing an update that things are progressing well in Production & I expect it to be complete within this month itself. There was a bit of scare on gilding but it got resolved too. Once production is complete and before fulfillment starts, I am thinking to offer some decks as pre-order. They won't be offered at the same price as that of reward tiers on Kickstarter, shipping will still be free worldwide and those will be shipped along with Kickstarter rewards. I understand that backerkit or platforms like Indiegogo In Demand offers similar type of pre-order arrangement but as I didn't use these, a shopify store will be used for the pre-orders.

Going with pre-order at least allow me to use the same fulfillment partner with better rates due to bulk orders. It has got limited print run of 500 decks only with a combination of features not seen in other decks.

Should I go ahead with pre-orders or wait for the decks to arrive & then set up a store for selling. Appreciate any thoughts and suggestions.
Stepchild
Decks Owned: 146

Unread post by Stepchild »

Some may feel different, but I think if K/S backers have preferential pricing *and* get shipped first, what steps you take selling pre-orders are all up to you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

Get a timeline as to when you'll get the decks. Once they are close to delivery open the pre-order. Send KS first then the pre-orders.
Move on, nothing to see here.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Sharing a video of tuckbox and pictures of numbered stamp & booklet.

The cards are going to be reprinted again due to the random gold foil spots that were found at a few places on a number of sheets. More on Dec 19 Kickstarter update.

I expect the reprints to start in the next couple of days when new card stock arrives at the printer. Fulfillment to start by Mid-January if all goes well this time around. Fingers crossed.

The samples sent are looking really good by the way. The issue of gold foil imprints being seen or felt on card faces is not there as found on decks from other printers. Just hoping that the production run goes well this time around.

Regards,
Sunish
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Dear All,

Production is looking good this time around.

Latest update here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/su ... ts/1786549" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,
Sunish
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Here are a few pics from Production.

More on the latest update here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/su ... ts/1805301

Regards,
Sunish
Bruno
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Bruno »

WooHooo !

Very very nice Sunish .... all your attention to detail looks to be successful ....
I'm impressed here. :D
O, I beg of you your comprehensions,
yet laugh at your contempts ....
my only competition is with myselves.

But Lèse-majesté, especially >Normans, natch.

Is jarnstill the Ars of the Hors Nebulous ?
Neigh .... the Effluxor of the Omniverse ??
RichK

Unread post by RichK »

I'm glad I took a leap of faith with this deck. Great looking finished product Sunish.
NoirArts
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by NoirArts »

Is it gold leaf/gold foil?.. it looks like golden paint... Correct me if I'm wrong... Anyway looks nice
RichK

Unread post by RichK »

NoirArts wrote:Is it gold leaf/gold foil?.. it looks like golden paint... Correct me if I'm wrong... Anyway looks nice
I don't know from the updates. The hand gilding @guru said would have an antique gold look.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

RichK wrote:
NoirArts wrote:Is it gold leaf/gold foil?.. it looks like golden paint... Correct me if I'm wrong... Anyway looks nice
I don't know from the updates. The hand gilding @guru said would have an antique gold look.
Yes, it is gold leaf and has an application of antique glaze pigment on top of gilding for that antique (less glitzy, more subdued) look.
sms69x
Magician: Yes

Re: Divine Art Playing Cards Limited Edition

Unread post by sms69x »

Look beautiful Sunish. It reminds me of Brut Copper Gilded by Uusi. Just this one is a bit less shinier. Great work nonetheless.

The white version also looks good, but if are even thinking on do such edition, I think you'll need to work that back design, otherwsie it will look too white!
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Thanks Rich, Bruno for your kind comments. And yes, thanks for believing in me.
sms69x wrote:Look beautiful Sunish. It reminds me of Brut Copper Gilded by Uusi. Just this one is a bit less shinier. Great work nonetheless.

The white version also looks good, but if are even thinking on do such edition, I think you'll need to work that back design, otherwsie it will look too white!
Yeah...if we won't have faced that gilding issue earlier in Production, I would have gone with the most prominent gilding technique that make the edges shinier. In fact, I've got an old prototype done with the other gilding method, and I like it a lot.
IMG_20170214_042943.jpg
That said, I'm pretty happy with the results now given this particular method is rare, provides more durable gilded edges (even when you put this deck to daily use) & not every printer has the capability to do it. More reasons to cheer....

You're right on white deck front as well, I gave it another thought and looked at the uncut sheets I've got with me. The design needs tweaking to make sure it goes well with the white background.

Thanks for your support.

Regards,
Sunish
Räpylätassu

The fact that I backed this project seems to be one of the smartest choises I have made in my collection "career".

Sunish seems like a creator who really has his sh*t together. Just how well this campaign was managed is impressing. Also the artwork is well done and seems to work better in real life. And I mean come on, gold foiling, gilding and a tuck box on a black stock with foil? I think Sunish should be ashamed of just how low he climbed here...

...Lol just kidding, this guy climbed to the roof, blew it up, climbed some more, met Vishnu, did the most epic high five ever and and just casually slided down like a boss. ...Don't fricking ask, I have been out of medication for over a week now.

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

A quick update that all decks have been shipped. Different shipping carriers have been used for different countries like USPS, Royal Mail, Swiss Post, Deutsche Post, French Post, Hongkong Post, China Post etc. which will make sure you receive your pledged rewards much faster. I've used their add on service "Strengthen packing", so be rest assured that decks will be arriving in pristine condition.

Thanks for all the support.

Regards,
Sunish
sms69x

Unread post by sms69x »

I must say that I'm kinda anxious for this one!! :)
Räpylätassu

I got my deck today. Some thoughts:

The artwork works much better in real life than in the photos, I like it a lot! The Aces and the Jokers are especially great work!

The gilding is much different than I have seen before, I like it too.

The foil on the backs does not show through the front of the cards which is a big plus!

I am not a cardist and I can't do a thumb fan but I am pretty good at one handed fans and I had no issues whatsoever on my one handed fans with this deck. Not a single clump. I tried with a full deck and a half a deck, no problems.

As for critique, I don't know, the tuck box is a bit bland...? But that is a nitcpick really.

Overall: Great product from a very well managed campaign. Sunish really proved himself with this one!

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Räpylätassu wrote:I got my deck today. Some thoughts:

The artwork works much better in real life than in the photos, I like it a lot! The Aces and the Jokers are especially great work!

The gilding is much different than I have seen before, I like it too.

The foil on the backs does not show through the front of the cards which is a big plus!

I am not a cardist and I can't do a thumb fan but I am pretty good at one handed fans and I had no issues whatsoever on my one handed fans with this deck. Not a single clump. I tried with a full deck and a half a deck, no problems.

As for critique, I don't know, the tuck box is a bit bland...? But that is a nitcpick really.

Overall: Great product from a very well managed campaign. Sunish really proved himself with this one!
Glad to hear that you liked the deck.

On the tuckbox front, I'd received similar feedback on the earlier non-foiled version of the tuck that it looks a bit bland, so I think I need to look into this feedback specifically.

Handling is subjective but there was an effort from the start towards the finish and coating. One sided embossing is unheard of except Jerry's Nugget Playing Cards though you can't achieve similar finish these days because of the change in printing processes. Also, gold foil pose a different challenge but effort was made to do better on handling front than other decks with foiled backs (except Metaluxe that utilizes an altogether different process).

I got good feedback on handling from two other backers, so I believe the efforts bore fruit.

Thanks for the support once again.
sms69x

Unread post by sms69x »

So finally I had some time to handle this great deck of cards!
Foil+Gilding
Foil+Gilding
So here are some thoughs:
Thick and stiff stock - great because you can see the gilding even in a single card!
Foiling is great, and shines pretty well, and the better part is not noticeable from the face!
The art work is beautiful.
And the best for last! The gilding! Oh boy it really is beautiful, have not seen that in any deck before. It looks like a pearlscent gold.

The deck handles pretty good for a gilded+foilded deck. I would say it is on-par-with an MPC deck.
After some time handling the deck, here how my fingers looked:
Gilded fingers
Gilded fingers
As a curiosity, my deck had the seal sticked in the wrong direction, meaning that the number instead of being on the back it was on the top, but I opened it anyway so I can re-stick it the right way!

All around a great deck by a first time creator that proved himself in the best way possible, by pulling a master deck of cards.
Congratulations Sunish, looking forward for your next deck.