The Planets — Vanda Artists Series

Designing a deck? Need input? Show us here!
davegk
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

The Planets — Vanda Artists Series

Unread post by davegk »

Hey folks,

I'm excited to share a project that's been in the works for a few months now and would love to get some feedback while it's still in the development phase...

This project will be an 8-deck series called "The Planets" and each deck will feature one of the planets ("Mercury", "Venus", "Earth" and so on). The artist working with me on the deck is Srdjan Vidakovic. You can check out some of his work on his Dribble page: https://dribbble.com/Widakk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My plan is to launch the decks one at a time and at least the first one (Mercury) will be through a Kickstarter campaign.

I've attached a few images to get you started. Here's the tuckbox and a couple of the king illustrations. We've done several rounds of revisions on these already and I'm very happy with the results :D

Hope you're as excited about this project as I am...

Thanks,
David
tuck-front.jpg
tuck-both.jpg
kings.jpg
David Goldklang, Product Designer
http://davidgoldklang.com
http://www.vandacards.com
JuFiN
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Delirium Signature
Decks Owned: 1000

Re: The Planets — Vanda Artists Series

Unread post by JuFiN »

Amazing. Some questions about the whole series based on what I see of the tuck.

So in the bottom center of the tuck we appear to be looking out over the sun and the first planet we see is Mercury, I presume future decks will then have two planets visible and so on, How will you fit all the planets in without it looking cluttered / running out of space at the end?

On the side where it says Mercury there is an image which appears to be a close up of the edge of a planet, is that an image that will be part of a larger image when lined up with future decks?

I really love the kings, but (not sure how to phrase this) what does it have to do with Mercury (its possible I am just missing some imagery here)? And on that note, will the faces of each deck be unique in a way related to their assigned planet?

The tuck looks really really nice will embossing and maybe some foils! Just in my opinion the words "Luxury Playing Cards" is over used quite a bit, but that's really not a big deal. Also the C in mercury on the front kinda seems weird with the line coming in almost making it a lower case e.

Overall, this looks stunning and I'll definitely back come launch day.
davegk
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by davegk »

JuFiN wrote:Amazing. Some questions about the whole series based on what I see of the tuck.

So in the bottom center of the tuck we appear to be looking out over the sun and the first planet we see is Mercury, I presume future decks will then have two planets visible and so on, How will you fit all the planets in without it looking cluttered / running out of space at the end?

On the side where it says Mercury there is an image which appears to be a close up of the edge of a planet, is that an image that will be part of a larger image when lined up with future decks?

I really love the kings, but (not sure how to phrase this) what does it have to do with Mercury (its possible I am just missing some imagery here)? And on that note, will the faces of each deck be unique in a way related to their assigned planet?

The tuck looks really really nice will embossing and maybe some foils! Just in my opinion the words "Luxury Playing Cards" is over used quite a bit, but that's really not a big deal. Also the C in mercury on the front kinda seems weird with the line coming in almost making it a lower case e.

Overall, this looks stunning and I'll definitely back come launch day.
Thanks for the feedback, JuFiN!

The front of the tuck will only feature an image of the specific planet as seen over a horizon (could be seen as the sun's horizon or another planet's).

Yes, the side of the tuck with the deck name will be part of a composite image with a sliver of each planet that form together into a semi-circle when you view the entire series together.

Regarding the kings (and illustrations in general), we're incorporating several different aspects to the elements. The Roman god Mercury is comparable to the Greek god Hermes (and both are considered to be messengers of the gods). They are often associated with the imagery of winged sandals (an indication of swiftness). In the court illustrations, the wings have been incorporated into the crowns. Also, Srdjan's take on creatures that live on Mercury are that they would have very tough stone-like skin to protect them from the heat of the sun. Each deck will have a full custom court set.

Thanks for the note about the 'C'...maybe we can come up with some variations that are less ambiguous. Also, maybe we could change from "Luxury Playing Cards" to "Stellar Playing Cards"...much more appropriate, don't ya think?

-David
JuFiN

Unread post by JuFiN »

Thanks for answering all my questions! I feel kinda dumb for not figuring out the whole greek / roman mythology symbolism on my own.

"Stellar Playing Cards" makes for a great pun.

This deck's shaping up to be out of this world. :)
joeblow

Unread post by joeblow »

Looks classic. Interested to see where it goes from here. Colors, sizes, lots of options.
Räpylätassu
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

I love the idea and I love what I am seeing so far.

I'm so excited and I just can't hide it. I'm about to lose some money but I think I like it.
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
davegk
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by davegk »

Here's a look at one of each of the court illustrations (left to right: king, jack, queen).
The queens have protective hoods that also resemble long flowing hair.

Also, a layout of a couple kings as they would look within context. We're still working to finalize the pip designs...
court.jpg
king-cards.jpg
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by shermjack »

Definitely will be getting a couple of each of these decks! :ugdance:
A deck a day helps keep the addiction at bay!

Check out my collection on Instagram @caratcasecreations
Gwafio
Decks Owned: 6

Unread post by Gwafio »

This is a cool idea for sure and looks good so far!

Just throwing this out there. I feel like Venus and Earth should be a single deck since they are "sister" planets. The red courts could be Venus, with blue as Earth. You could release it as a single deck with red and blue versions, maybe the jokers in each version are different.

Maybe Mars and Jupiter are combined too since they are so different, One of the smallest rocks and the big gas giant-could make for a cool division in the cards. Neptune and Uranus seem like they could be released as an "outer limit". A Pluto joker maybe since he's been decommissioned but not forgotten!

I'm just thinking of ways to consolidate the idea a little. 8 individual decks mean a full 96 COURTS to depict 8 planets. Combining them could create some interesting interplay between the courts.
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

I really like this.
One thing I don't think you need or at least rephrase it is "First deck of an original series". I'd hate to see a deck fail funding then you have a missing planet and odd count if that makes sense.

Will Pluto be included since the scientists "kicked it" out of the 9 planets we all grew up knowing?
Move on, nothing to see here.
shaitani
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Artistic Spring

Unread post by shaitani »

I'm very interested in the concept, especially with the art I'm seeing.

Two questions.
1. Why does Saturn appear 3 times on the tuck box? (I'm suspecting it's supposed to be the 'logo' for "The Planets" meaning it will appear in every deck, I personally think that's kind of lazy as a logo, and throws off the appearance and theme of every single deck in the series slightly, so I'm hoping there's something else going on)
2. An 8 deck series seems like a lot, way too much in fact. Unless these 8 decks are going to be very different from each other, I don't know if I would back this. The question is, what would deck #2 in this series look like and what would be different about it compared to this deck? (For example, is the only change you're planning to make for the backs going to be to change the tiny image of the planet in the center?)

While a cool idea, I need some convincing that I'm not just being sold the same deck 8 times.
...Or you could get the Bicycle logo slapped on there, make no further changes, and you'll be sold out for days.
davegk
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by davegk »

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback!

@Gwafio:
I appreciate the suggestion to combine planets but that doesn't really fit with the series concept which is one deck per planet and includes the sides of the boxes creating a composite image.

@RichK:
I intend to produce all 8 decks of this series. They may or may not all be funded through Kickstarter, but if not then I have a few other options to get them made. We've opted to not include Pluto, unless this series happens to be incredibly successful in which case maybe we can create a "bonus deck" designed for Pluto...

@Shaitani:
1) First of all, the "Saturn" image isn't a logo—it's merely an icon. The logo is the type treatment of "The Planets". And each deck has a secondary logo which is the type treatment of the name of each planet. I realize the image you're referring to is generally thought of specifically as Saturn, however there are actually four planets in our solar system that have rings around them (Saturn, Jupiter, Neptune, & Uranus). The symbol was selected because it is commonly associated with space and planets. That said, I can understand your point that some folks may assume the image is specifically of Saturn and therefore it may not make sense to use universally through the series. I had also considered using a different icon, such as a rocket, which may work better overall...

2) Please review the previous posts in this thread and you'll see that we aren't merely slapping a new name on each deck and calling it a day. Every deck will have a unique set of 12 court illustrations that are thoughtfully related to each specific planet. Each deck will also feature a different foil color on the tuck, and we're discussing some fun options for the extra cards in the deck as well. Also note that each deck will be launched separately so you won't need to worry about backing any of the planets you're not interested in.

More feedback is welcome and I'm happy to answer any other questions...

-David
JuFiN

Unread post by JuFiN »

And here I thought it was a UFO! the back design having lasers / antigravity rays coming out of it abducting the planet!

In all seriousness it is a bit strange to use the image of one planet (whichever that may be) on all 8 decks and maybe something else would be more appropriate.
davegk
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by davegk »

JuFiN wrote:And here I thought it was a UFO! the back design having lasers / antigravity rays coming out of it abducting the planet!

In all seriousness it is a bit strange to use the image of one planet (whichever that maybe) on all 8 decks and maybe something else would be more appropriate.

Well hey, maybe it *should* be a UFO...that change is easy enough to make—just remove the bottom half of the sphere and replace with legs. I actually have a UFOrb sitting right in front of me on my desk (see https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/87 ... tic-saucer )
SrdjanVidakovic
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Unread post by SrdjanVidakovic »

Hello Everyone,

I'm the designer working on this series and I would like to join in the discussion. Feel free to make suggestions, criticize, ask questions, etc.. I'll take it all in consideration.
I see that general feedback is positive, thank you all for kind words.

For now I would like to clear the thing about the design on the tuck box. My idea is to put an old fashioned UFO there, flying through decks, from one planet to another. But it seams that was not clear, I'll see what I can do about it.

Also the decks itself will have different colors, typography fort the name of the planet, planet icon and some other stuff. Not to mention that all the court cards, jokers and extra cards will be different for each deck. So it will most definitely not be the same deck printed 8 times. But also, it will be clear they are all part of the same series.
That's the general idea.
shaitani
White Whale: Artistic Spring

Unread post by shaitani »

Thank you David and Srdjan for answering my questions. I very much like the idea of the old fashioned sci Fi UFO traveling the planets, definitely more than an image of a ringed planet on each tuck and the backs. So that's a negative turned into a positive in my eyes.

As for the concerns regarding the tuck. I'm one of those jerk "tuck collectors" who doesn't really open the decks he buys. So while I admire and appreciate the court changes for sure, my focus will often be *unfairly* heavy on the tuck. That said I do like that each planet will have its own typography on the front, but I don't know if I'm convinced yet with additionally just the color change on the foil. Maybe a few additional garnish modifications per planet (like the frills on each corner) and I'd probably buy every single one. From what I see so far , I've been convinced to at least pick up the first deck, and give the rest a chance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
Räpylätassu
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

I think this thread is not getting enough attention, I am super excited about this as I think the idea in this is fantastic. I really hope you pull this off.

Besides the best thing about space is that it was cool before it mattered. Oh and just remember the imporant thing about making a good project page, planet well.

I have striked again and I am just getting started. After I'm done, you will fear me! This is going to be pun!
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

shaitani wrote:Thank you David and Srdjan for answering my questions. I very much like the idea of the old fashioned sci Fi UFO traveling the planets, definitely more than an image of a ringed planet on each tuck and the backs. So that's a negative turned into a positive in my eyes.

As for the concerns regarding the tuck. I'm one of those jerk "tuck collectors" who doesn't really open the decks he buys. So while I admire and appreciate the court changes for sure, my focus will often be *unfairly* heavy on the tuck. That said I do like that each planet will have its own typography on the front, but I don't know if I'm convinced yet with additionally just the color change on the foil. Maybe a few additional garnish modifications per planet (like the frills on each corner) and I'd probably buy every single one. From what I see so far , I've been convinced to at least pick up the first deck, and give the rest a chance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
I'm a deck opener but do hope like shaitani said you'll change aspects of the tuck. I think the font for "The Planets" should remain the same. Have different corner design fills, different angled lines by the white dots, and I hope different card backs. Keep the current center but change some of the curly lines on the border. It's a great back as is but I'd hate to see just a color swap/planet/planet symbol repeated 8 times. Yes it's early, I just don't want the tuck and card back to be the same like CPC is doing with their "Natural Disaster" or whatever they are named color swap/different tuck picture laziness. Mars's courts intrigue me already since it's the god of war.

Can you tell I am really getting too excited for these! ;)
Move on, nothing to see here.
davegk
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by davegk »

So there you go...it actually *is* a UFO. Thanks Srdjan for joining in! We'll work to make it look a bit more like a UFO so there's no confusion about it being Saturn...

I've attached Srdjan's illustrations for the entire Mercury court along with 3 concepts he was working on for the custom pips. Input on these directions is welcome.

@Shaitani:
Don't worry, we'll distinguish the tucks a bit. For one, the side illustration will create a composite image when the boxes are lined up. Also, we are looking at an external box package for the whole set which would display this image when all the decks are in place. I've attached a very rough mockup of the concept for the image.

@Räpylätassu:
Thanks for joining the thread and glad you're excited about the project!

@RichK:
Thanks for the notes on the back design...we'll look into some custom modifications for each deck of the series.
tuck-side-composite.jpg
fullcourt.jpg
JuFiN

Unread post by JuFiN »

I love the look of the first set of pips with the ring around it, but again Mercury has no rings so doesnt really make too much sense with this deck.

Sticking the UFO in the middle looks a bit forced.

The little star in the middle tho is pretty dope.

Another weird thing, the symbol you have at the top of the box is the symbol for Mercury... Your image with all the boxes next to each other has it on all 8 boxes. I would assume you would use the corresponding symbol of each planet.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

davegk wrote:@RichK:
Thanks for the notes on the back design...we'll look into some custom modifications for each deck of the series.
I take this to mean that the back design is (or was at least planned to be) the same for all decks, just changing the color scheme. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, considering the other customization and variation between the decks. But if the back design lends itself to having small suitable changes done, then that should definitely be explored :) Maybe different types of shading could be utilized as well.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
davegk
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by davegk »

@JuFin:
My feedback for the pips was pretty similar to yours...I like the rings on the top row but I'm not crazy about how they modify the outer shapes of each symbol. We are looking at variations on the star pips. Also, you are correct, each deck would have the appropriate symbol...they currently all have the Mercury symbol since it was a quick mockup. Same for the symbols on the back design.

@MagikFingerz:
My original intention was to maintain essentially the same back design throughout the series and just change the planet image and the symbol that appears within the 2 circles. We may still stick to that plan unless there are some small changes that make sense, though I don't want to have variations just for the sake of variations—I'd prefer to keep style consistent.
intlgrrl
White Whale: MAD DECK by Ozlem Olcer
Decks Owned: 256

Unread post by intlgrrl »

Have you considered using the Caduceus anywhere on the deck, or would that be too much?
davegk
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by davegk »

intlgrrl wrote:Have you considered using the Caduceus anywhere on the deck, or would that be too much?

Hi intlgrrl,

Thanks for the suggestion! We may use the Caduceus on one of the jokers but we'll also need appropriate symbols for each of the other planets as well. I would love to hear ideas for the other planets.
montecarlojoe
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

Symbols for the other planets should be fairly straight forward...

davegk
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by davegk »

montecarlojoe wrote:Symbols for the other planets should be fairly straight forward...
Thanks montecarlojoe, but I was actually referring to symbolism imagery similar to the Caduceus that intlgrrl suggested for Mercury. I now have a list of of symbolism we can use for the other decks :)

Also, here are the designs so far for the jokers. Still in progress a bit—will likely remove the logos and add index icons of some sort.
jokers.jpg
montecarlojoe
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

Ah I see - yes certainly Roman gods would be inspiration there.

E.g. Venus - clamshell, Terra/Gaia - Tree (Yggdrasil), Mars - Weapon / Sword, etc
davegk
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by davegk »

More images + feedback requested...

Below are 2 versions of the ace of spades. Curious what you guys think and if you have a preference between them.

Also, for the back design we're deciding between a black background or a white background. Obviously the white borders would match the card fronts, but the black would match the tuckbox. So, which do you prefer?

We've also played around with the UFO design and generally decided that a flat bottom with no legs works best. The back design would have the diamond touching the bottom of the UFO, as if laser beams were coming out of the UFO to surround the planet below.

I'm also happy to answer any questions...

Thanks,
David
aceofspades.jpg
backdesign-whiteorblack.jpg
UFO_options.jpg
JuFiN

Unread post by JuFiN »

Its the left side all the way through for me! Not a fan of black backs or fronts of cards, causes the edges to wear more quickly when used I find. The ace of spades on the left is more light/bright with less black in there, makes it pop more in my opinion. And the UFO legs separate from the beams looks awkward atleast as presented here with them being level with the beam, looks better connected.
intlgrrl
White Whale: MAD DECK by Ozlem Olcer
Decks Owned: 256

Unread post by intlgrrl »

davegk wrote:
montecarlojoe wrote:Symbols for the other planets should be fairly straight forward...
Thanks montecarlojoe, but I was actually referring to symbolism imagery similar to the Caduceus that intlgrrl suggested for Mercury. I now have a list of of symbolism we can use for the other decks :)

Also, here are the designs so far for the jokers. Still in progress a bit—will likely remove the logos and add index icons of some sort.
jokers.jpg

I'm really liking how this deck is coming along!