Billfold by Kyle Marlett

In here you'll find rabbits in hats and aces up sleeves.
Magic_Orthodoxy
Collector: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 1000

Billfold by Kyle Marlett

Unread post by Magic_Orthodoxy »

Title: Billfold
Creator: Kyle Marlett
Publisher: Vanishing Inc.
MSRP: $ 20
Skill Level: all
DVD Run time: 1 hour 13 minutes

​Type of effect: dollar bill transposition.

Manufacturer's Write Up:

Simple and stunning! In this highly visual effect, you can morph credit cards, playing cards, candy wrappers, tickets, and checks into real currency! The objects melt away and change into dollar bills without any perceptible finger movement.

Many effects are possible with "Bill Fold" but this one is a favorite: you wager a dollar that you will be able to find the spectator's card. You place the dollar in her fist. Then you reveal the WRONG card. "I guess you get the dollar," you say as you change the playing card INTO a dollar bill! When she opens her hand, she discovers that the dollar she was holding has changed into her folded selection. Use ANY currency-even plastic money.

The most attractive feature of "Bill Fold" is the idea that you will learn to customize this trick to any small paper object that you like. Use YOUR ticket stub, or a client's business card, or anything you want... and change it into real money!

How accurate is the ad copy? I don't know that 'many' effects are possible with "Bill Fold." There certainly are many 'applications.' But the 'effect' is the same.

What's in the box? Includes instructional DVD and pre-made gimmick

How are the production values: Aside from the two times Kyle walks you through the arts and crafts portion - The entire video is Kyle against a blue backdrop with a stationary mounted camera.

Is it well made: Its is "goodly" made. For the most part, it's a disposable gimmick and it's not made to pass inspection. You're really paying for the DVD and the knowledge to make this device.

Is it well taught: Kyle covers the initial workings of the effect within the first 8 minutes. The next 12 minutes is all gimmick construction, because your gimmick depends on a folded playing card, eventually the card will wear out. You get 4 minutes of a behind the shoulder shot and then Kyle goes into a full routine. Kyle also covers other applications of the gimmick.

My thoughts (what I personally liked/disliked): I liked the creativity and the flash to this effect, although when I was a young magician, I had a "dollar bill to card" that had zero working parts was all performed with speed and a wave of the hand. And was pretty much this same effect (except in reverse).

Storage? Does it "pack flat?" it's all the size of a folded playing card

Does it "play big?" it does get great reactions as long as it is connected to a larger routine.

Difficulty / Skill level required: this is a pretty easy effect.

How much arts and crafts are involved? very little, but if you have to build it from scratch, it could take a couple of minutes.

How practical is this in the real world? (can it really be done?) Can't be done surrounded obviously and there is some clean up involved, i'd be a little concerned that the gimmick "talks" in some situations - so be wary of that as well.

Overall score: let's toss out the traditional score of 1-10 and make this something that we all can appreciate and understand.

_____Very Satisfied
X Somewhat Satisfied
_____ Neither Satisfied or Dissatisfied
_____ Somewhat Dissatisfied
_____ Very Dissatisfied
_____ No Opinion

This trick is fun and flashy, but I don't know if it's my "style" nothing against Kyle's creation though. To me it feels more like a "how did he do that" effect than it does actual "magic." The movement is obvious "something" happened and it was too quick to see and I think the spectator subconsciously picks up on it.

+ Hey do you want to see my full review with even more of my opinions and ideas? Visit this link for my video review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMjrcCio1js" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Playing Card & Magic Reviews / https://www.youtube.com/magicorthodoxy
I give away FREE DECKS on INSTAGRAM every month https://www.instagram.com/magicorthodoxy/