Feedback On Coloring Cards I'm Working On

Designing a deck? Need input? Show us here!
ClaireG
Cardist: Yes

Feedback On Coloring Cards I'm Working On

Unread post by ClaireG »

Hi Everyone!

I accidently posted in the wrong board forum. Moderators could you please remove that post? Sorry! :oops:

Anyway, I'm thinking of launching a KS soon. I'm currently working on a unique deck of cards which you can color in. I thought about how fun it'd be to have a deck with 54 unique designs that you can customise and personalise, like use colouring pencils, pen, watercolours, etc.

These cards are hopefully something you've never seen before. Here’s some designs I’ve made and shared with friends to get coloured.
UC.jpg
UC.jpg (297 KiB) Viewed 1083 times
UC3.jpg
UC3.jpg (293.88 KiB) Viewed 1083 times
UC2.jpg
UC2.jpg (198.06 KiB) Viewed 1083 times
UC1.jpg
UC1.jpg (347.52 KiB) Viewed 1083 times
Anything you’d suggest I should consider? Please comment and share your thoughts and ideas :)
Räpylätassu
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937
Decks Owned: 700

Re: Feedback On Coloring Cards I'm Working On

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

I do like the Aces and the pips very much! The courts still need some tweaking. I am not a big fan of crowns used as courts but that is just a personal preference.

As for the color yourself idea, it is certainly original and I have nothing against it, but I hope that you also do a already colored version too for people who have the artistic talent of a goldfish (like myself)

Oh and also a big fan of the white deck with a colored border. It hasn't been used in many decks yet, although it makes for a great look IMO.

To sum up: Very good start, I like it, keep working on it and keep us updated :D
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
montecarlojoe
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

I agree - I like the idea a lot - certainly unique in the field as far as I know.

One concern for purists is that to be able to colour with pencils / watercolour, there would have to be basically no finish or protection on the paper. Not a problem for the function of the card as a colouring item, but makes it difficult to do other things like play or magic and have them last more than 5 minutes.

That being said the suggestion of a 2nd or 3rd deck could be a good idea and draw more interest provided the courts and back match the Ace designs.

I could see a colouring deck, a finished black and white deck and a finished coloured deck combo working quite well!
ClaireG
Cardist: Yes

Unread post by ClaireG »

Hi Räpylätassu, I've considered an "already colored version" but that might be something I'd do later on. I'm not the best with colour schemes for playing cards so I'll have to learn it and that'll take a while. Thank you for the feedback though! I'm aware of the crown being used as courts but I felt it'll be more fun and unique to colour. Customise your own crown :D

Hi Montecarlojoe, the cards will have a coated backside to give protection to the paper, prevent translucency and improve its structural integrity. The paper is 300gsm as well. I do admit it won't be good for magic where you need fantastic paper that's easy to shuffle. I did playing card paper quality for one sample deck but I found that it smudged too much when you'd apply any ink, and pencils were impossible to colour.

I'll consider a 2nd and 3rd deck. A finished coloured deck combo would be lovely but I need to work more in developing a nice colour schema as I get carried away with some colours. Need to refine my design skill for that. I am working, well more so trying :lol: , to create a traditionally themed colouring card deck with the classical courts so you can colour in the uniform, etc. A homage to the classics. But at the moment, I've got my mind set on testing a colouring deck before I launch myself into the wonderful world of traditional playing cards :) Thank you for your feedback as well!
Levent Suberk
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Unread post by Levent Suberk »

Very good one Claire. I really liked this. :D