My Art Deck of Cards called Line's Deck Of Elements

Designing a deck? Need input? Show us here!
Line
Cardist: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 7

My Art Deck of Cards called Line's Deck Of Elements

Unread post by Line »

Hi Everyone!

I'm Line, I'm an illustrator and I always wanted to make a art book of my illustrations and I decided to make cards instead. I felt books don't get used much after they get put on a shelf or under a coffee table but cards get played with or used in magic tricks so i figured more than just the owner of the cards will get to see my art when someone has a deck of mine and hopefully all who see them will appreciate the art and creativeness i put into them.

I illustrated this deck with the theme of the elements, hence the name "Line's Deck Of Elements". Diamonds = Earth, Clubs = Air, Spades = Water and hearts = fire.

I don't really have a art style but the way I like to draw derives it's look from a comic book illustration type of feel.

Because this is art focused, I decided to make the deck give people their money's worth as far as art/books/cards are concerned because I have illustrated a front/face on EVERY card in the deck, not just the Jack, queen and king.

Here's a screen grab of the "Usual suspects":

For the full set you can view them on my facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/LineArtist/pho ... 4920851904" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please let me know what you think of my work. I am currently running a kickstarter campaign to help get them printed. The Kickstarter ends on the 24th of September.

If you like the cards and would like to help support/back the project, here's a link to it: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/li ... f-elements" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks All :D

-Line
My Art Card Deck Kickstarter Campaign: Line's Deck Of Elements
JuFiN
Collector: Yes
White Whale: Delirium Signature
Decks Owned: 1000

Re: My Art Deck of Cards called Line's Deck Of Elements

Unread post by JuFiN »

Really waited until the last minute to post here! I like the deck and did in fact back for one a while ago, does not look like its going to fund though unfortunately. Maybe revamp the kickstarter, and advertise more earlier if you try again. The images on your facebook are great and would strengthen the campaign if you posted to kickstarter in my opinion. Good luck either way!
Line

Unread post by Line »

JuFin,

I know! Sorry for the delay! My time has been really short as of recent, I started a new job and it only leaves me 2 hours a day for extra things i need to get done outside of work which unfortunately gets consumed by other chores outside of my creative work :\ Trying to make time on weekends though. Thanks for your comment on my work :D Are you saying i should put the facebook page link in my kickstarter?

Thanks the good luck! :D

-Line
JuFiN
White Whale: Delirium Signature
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by JuFiN »

I saw your update linking to facebook, which is good It really shows each individual custom card in high res. Where as previously you just had the images on folded up paper xD. If you end up retrying funding (dont wanna seem TOO bleak about this effort...) finding a way to include the images on the main kickstarter page could help funding, shows a more refined complete product (and shows all the art close up without watching the long video) that just needs to be printed.

P.S this ought to be in "New and Custom Decks" dunno if a mod wants to move it or not.
Line

Unread post by Line »

@JuFiN,

When i started my campaign on kickstarter, i had an idea to release a digital image and a video of how the card was made each day to help get more eyes on the project. Sadly, that didn't seem to work out as planned :D :X I can put the higher quality digital versions on there now.. This whole project has been a learning experience in kickstarter, marketing, sales and time management. Wowie Zowie has it been overwhelming. So much to do, so little time and no time to draw :\

I was thinking of posting this to new and custom decks, but because it's not a printed/physical deck readily available for purchase, I thought it made more sense to put it in the custom deck drafting board section.

-Line
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by shermjack »

WOW! How come I didn't see this campaign before? I personally really like this deck and am amazed that it has only gotten so far. I have to agree with Jufin that it is too late in the game (with only 5 days left in the campaign) to post on UC.

Nevertheless, we are where we are. As it seems that the current campaign will not be successful, I suggest you focus on the re-launch and post a topic here, on PCF, FB Playing Cards - Crowdfunding - Kickstarter, etc, and any other playing card outlet as well as work the social networks.

I do appreciate your artwork and the customisation of the entire deck, so I will definitely support your re-launch. Wishing you the best of luck as I would like to add this deck to my collection. :ugdance:

*EDIT* Another thing to consider is the name of the deck...maybe a simpler name (i.e. ELEMENTS) would be more suitable :D
A deck a day helps keep the addiction at bay!

Check out my collection on Instagram @caratcasecreations
Line

Unread post by Line »

Hi Shermjack,

I'm glad to hear that you dig my cards!

Thanks a lot for your insight and support. What is PCF or fb playing cards? If these are other forums/sites I'd really appreciate any links and I will post there even if time is short.

Agreed it may be too late but it could still meet it's goal. I hope it will.

Thanks again!
-Line
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by shermjack »

Hey Line,

I just posted the same comment on the KS project page. PCF is the Playing Card Forum, the official discussion board for 52plusJokers card collecting club...they are more vintage and antique card collectors here, but also many modern card collectors. FaceBook (FB) Group named: Playing Cards - Crowdfunding - Kickstarter.

Some other suggestions I would like to make:

1. TUCK BOX - I didn't see one on your project page, but this is extremely important to many collectors, especially since many don't open their decks. Features like embossing or foil are add-ons that can be obtained through stretch goals.

2. Back of Card - You might want to re-do the back of the cards as the text is not interesting (imho) and doesn't add to the design. Also, there is something missing...maybe add a border?

3. PRICING - 15 USD per deck (plus shipping for international) is quite high. You might want to lower the base price and separate shipping (charge it separately). The fact that you are using USPCC is probably part of the reason that your price point is so high and you might want to consider other printer options like Expert Playing Card Company (EPCC) and Legends Playing Card Company (LPCC) which might have lower costs.

4. REWARDS - You might want to offer some Early Birds as well as different tiers to include 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 and 12 decks as those are usually the standard quantities people like to order. You could also look into Dealer Coins and other things as an add-ons to help boost the amount raised, but be careful not to get too carried away and find yourself dealing with a lot of suppliers as there is more variables and thus more probability for problems/delays.

This site is a goldmine of knowledge for designers and I suggest you go through the Custom Deck Drafting Board to see what others are saying about the decks that have are on the boards. Continue this thread before you launch again and ask the members what they would like to see changed as well as for suggestions on improving the deck overall and thus the probability of getting funded. Nothing is guaranteed, but it will surely increase your chances.

Best of Luck and if you don't make your goal this time, I will definitely be backing again. :ugdance:
A deck a day helps keep the addiction at bay!

Check out my collection on Instagram @caratcasecreations
Line

Unread post by Line »

Hi Shermjack,

Thanks a lot for all of your input. I really appreciate it.

Tuck box! You're totally right. I saw some kickstarter projects had boxes already and I thought perhaps mine made of printer paper may look too flimsy. But I think you're right. It'd be better then not showing it.

Card back. Someone else said I should also remove the name on the back. And yeah, perhaps it could use a bit more work.

Pricing is based on what others had done before me as well as my own math for taxes, fees, shipping, packaging and including that this will be made by USPCC with bee stock, custom seal and cellophane wrap.

I thought about adding additional items but in order to do so, they really have to be made on demand items, otherwise one could spend more money on extras and not have enough for the cards themselves for mass ordering cost effectiveness

Thanks so much for your insight, support, tips and advice

Much appreciated and enjoying being a member here

Line