Uncut sheet - lost in transit

Designing a deck? Need input? Show us here!
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Uncut sheet - lost in transit

Unread post by guru »

Hi All,

Had a question and thought of asking here.

I believe I've seen certain posts wherein project creators have mentioned that uncut sheets have either got lost or misplaced during transit. Is this a regular occurrence by any chance? I'd ordered an uncut sheet along with a prototype deck from MPC for DAPC (soon to be launched project). I received the deck today but there was no uncut sheet in the package. There were 2 packages and tracking page shows something happened along the way between Hongkong & Sydney, as there is no scan for the package containing the uncut sheet upon arrival @ Sydney Airport.

This also begs the question that are there any best practices in shipping uncut sheets like availing transit insurance, shipping providers with good track record of handling uncut sheets. I'm still hoping that it is one of an occurrence and not something that crops up regularly.

Please advise.

Regards,
Sunish
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Re: Uncut sheet - lost in transit

Unread post by guru »

Received the uncut sheet today after a no. of followups with DHL. Feeling relieved.....
lms_jam
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes

Unread post by lms_jam »

Glad you got your uncut. I have not had any lost uncut packages myself but I have heard about others having problems. Also someone said that the were not offering uncut sheets because sometimes the printers don't pull any off the press not sure why. It does not seem that big of a deal to pull some sheets of the press before they get stamped out.
If at first you don't succeed try try again
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

lms_jam wrote:Glad you got your uncut. I have not had any lost uncut packages myself but I have heard about others having problems. Also someone said that the were not offering uncut sheets because sometimes the printers don't pull any off the press not sure why. It does not seem that big of a deal to pull some sheets of the press before they get stamped out.
I agree, but it has happened a few times now (printers forgetting to do this). I would hypothesize that this is caused by them just not having a standardized system for making sure this happens, simply because not that many ask for it. But I could be wrong.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Yeah, glad to get it back.

That said, I think the issue of uncuts not being fulfilled by major printers is a process issue. USPCC already states +-10% variance in their production run during quotation itself. My hypothesis is that pulling uncuts from the process may be a manual step which is akin to losing dollars. In the same time, they can produce lot many decks so it becomes a tradeoff between fulfilling an order or productivity.

Companies using Taiwan printer states in their quotation that they can't guarantee fulfillment of uncut sheets as well. Now, I hypothesize that considering the fact that Taiwan based printer works for LPCC, EPCC, HCPC etc. it is producing so many decks for all of them. Any issue arising due to manual intervention of pulling the uncuts off the press, may result in the escalation from the client/s. And, if the Taiwan printer hasn't been able to fulfill such orders before, it is much safer to put such a clause in their quotation so that they can stay safe.

MPC should be in a far better position as they use both digital and offset press extensively. My hypothesis here is that even if due to some production issue, uncut sheets are less in number, it can be found easily during reconciliation before shipping. They can go to their digital press then and get the difference done.

This is my understanding and I may be wrong here.

Regards,
Sunish
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

I tend to believe what Tom said, it's just not a given that they will be pulled any more, which is strange, because it used to be done almost every time.

Several artists have ended up with no uncuts, even though they ordered them, which I am betting is the reason why the disclaimer is being added, to cover them as opposed to wearing a dance cap.
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Mike Ratledge wrote:I tend to believe what Tom said, it's just not a given that they will be pulled any more, which is strange, because it used to be done almost every time.

Several artists have ended up with no uncuts, even though they ordered them, which I am betting is the reason why the disclaimer is being added, to cover them as opposed to wearing a dance cap.
Mike -Yes, I do agree with Tom as well. Uncuts are so beautiful, so I can understand when someone doesn't receive it, how he or she would have felt.
Bruno
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Bruno »

Crazy 8 Limited Un-Cuts ....
ROAAAAAHHH !

Seriously.
Tzźzz.
O, I beg of you your comprehensions,
yet laugh at your contempts ....
my only competition is with myselves.

But Lèse-majesté, especially >Normans, natch.

Is jarnstill the Ars of the Hors Nebulous ?
Neigh .... the Effluxor of the Omniverse ??