Divine Art Playing Cards Limited Edition

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Divine Art Playing Cards Limited Edition

Unread post by guru »

[Update]
Project is live now.

---------------------------------------------------------

Hi All,

Planning to launch Divine Art Playing Cards (DAPC) on Kickstarter next week. Still need a few things to sort out but looking forward to see it live.

Here is the preview URL. Still a work in progress but I appreciate your feedback.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/su ... n=c925f142" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,
Sunish
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Re: Divine Art Playing Cards - Coming soon on Kickstarter

Unread post by vasta41 »

I really like the style, back design, colors used, and the Aces but there's too much white space on the courts IMO. I would also prefer them to be two-way. But what I wish most is that you used one of the 3 "major" printing companies. The prices are *okay* but not justified with that printing company. I think it's a design and concept with a lot of potential but lack of USPCC or EPCC printing is what will keep me from pledging. But good luck!
Bruno
Collector: Yes
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Bruno »

(Well it's a fine line between intricacy and busy, between not enough and too much information, between that goalpost and t'other.)
They'll be right Sunish, you'll sell a million of these on the sub-continent.
Huzzah and Hoorah !!
O, I beg of you your comprehensions,
yet laugh at your contempts ....
my only competition is with myselves.

But Lèse-majesté, especially >Normans, natch.

Is jarnstill the Ars of the Hors Nebulous ?
Neigh .... the Effluxor of the Omniverse ??
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
Player: Yes
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

Sunish, I have been missing in action here for a few months, but I am back - with a vengeance soon!

These are just truly special in many ways, and I support your decision to go with the printer based in India (TMCards). It just wouldn't make sense to print elsewhere, after all - the aces & faces are worshipped by (hundreds and hundreds of) millions of people.
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

vasta41 wrote:I really like the style, back design, colors used, and the Aces but there's too much white space on the courts IMO. I would also prefer them to be two-way. But what I wish most is that you used one of the 3 "major" printing companies. The prices are *okay* but not justified with that printing company. I think it's a design and concept with a lot of potential but lack of USPCC or EPCC printing is what will keep me from pledging. But good luck!

Yeah, it was a tough decision for me as I'd been working with EPCC for quite some time on this project. Given the Indian Mythology theme, I started having a strong feeling that this deck needs to get printed by a manufacturer from India itself, and took the decision after a lot of deliberation. In fact, when I went back to EPCC telling them about the decision of going with another printer, this is what they said. My association with EPCC goes back to my first project, and I can vouch for the fact that they are one of the best in custom printing, but more importantly, pretty good in terms of responsiveness & professionalism.
Good luck, Sunish!

It's hard to find the quality with which we produce our decks, especially the cut, but I do agree that this decision goes well with the overall theme.

Maybe if all goes well, you can consider printing a limited edition with us? Or maybe just for other projects then.

Definitely still send me the link to the kickstarter page, would love to see the project fund!

Have a good one.
I know it is going to be a big challenge but it is okay, I'll give it a shot. But, I don't agree with you on
" The prices are *okay* but not justified with that printing company."
One, I've chosen the best available stock with great finish, inspected their sample decks, and I'm going to receive the prototype deck created by them in the next few days. Initial impression of a friend after inspecting the sample is good. Second, the reward tiers have been set after a lot of effort put in calculating the minimum pricing based on a variety of factors like production costs, shipping the consignment to the fulfilment partner, shipping & fulfilment costs, KS fees, shipping cost increase trends that are seen during start of the year etc. Having said that, one of the major factors was to make it easy for non-US backers along with US backers to back this project. I've backed and supported various projects on Kickstarter, Indiegogo etc., and have felt the pain of huge International shipping fees a no. of times. I've even tried backing projects by sending the reward to my friends in US.
Given that DAPC is my baby, I didn't want that same pain to be felt by anyone coming from any part of the world on the campaign page looking to back the project. Other creators will agree with me that shipping is a different beast altogether, and costs usually spiral up when the rubber meets the road.
If I'd a successful project, I could have used that experience and learning, but now have to use the best judgement I can make to set the goal and reward tiers.

I do need good luck this time around. Thank you.
Räpylätassu
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

I like this! I will be backing for a one deck.

I try to own decks from as many different printers as I possibly can so I'll be looking foward to a deck printed in India!

I really hope this funds!
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
WillHart CthulhuWho1
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Unread post by WillHart CthulhuWho1 »

I'll buy at least a pair of decks.

But I am curious as to why Ganesha has been left out...

Will Hart
(A Bollywood film collector.)
Will Hart
Fullerton, California
Most of my collection:
http://www.portfolio52.com/collection/277/images
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

WillHart CthulhuWho1 wrote:I'll buy at least a pair of decks.

But I am curious as to why Ganesha has been left out...

Will Hart
(A Bollywood film collector.)
Yeah, it was a tough decision. Trinity (Brahma, Vishnu & Shiva) was always there, and for the fourth one, Krishna took the lead because he is the most famous incarnations of Lord Vishnu and the central figure of the Hindu Bhagavad Gita (Holy Text).
PrincessTrouble

Unread post by PrincessTrouble »

A limited edition printed with EPCC would be awesome.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Hi All,

Plan is to go live today evening (AEST). I've updated quite a bit on the page, provided some clarity on direction towards stretch goals, all reward tiers updated with inclusion of digital copy of the booklet etc.

If you guys can verify the reward tiers or any other things that need attention, I'll really appreciate it.

I believe I'll need to remove the uncut sheet combo for now, as there has been some confusion going around on shipping rates provided by the fulfillment partner. I'll be following up with them after an hour or two, but in case I do not get a satisfactory reply on good rates, I'll be removing the reward tier for the time being. I feel it is better to go with clarity and confirmation on good rates rather than creating confusion and create different reward tier afterwards.

TMCards have shipped the prototype deck, and I hope to receive it within the next couple of days. Fingers crossed for the quality ....

Regards,
Sunish
jerichoholic
White Whale: Many
Decks Owned: 4800

Unread post by jerichoholic »

What time is that?
Save 10% at Playing Card Decks here - https://app.marsello.com/Portal/Custom/ ... 561772eaee
Save 10% at Card Addiction here using code VJOSE32 - https://card-addiction.com/?ref=1efow7c06m
Check out my collection - http://portfolio52.com/profile/124
Check out my reviews - https://www.youtube.com/vjose32
The Card Club - https://www.facebook.com/groups/vjose32
Instagram - http://www.instagram.com/vjose32
Game Collection - https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/vjose32
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

jerichoholic wrote:What time is that?
It is 10 PM AEST (12 PM UTC).
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Magician: Yes

Unread post by rousselle »

What's the link to the project page so we can review it for you? :)
This space intentionally left blank.
Bruno

Unread post by Bruno »

Scroll up to the first photo you come to for the link

jerichoholic
White Whale: Many
Decks Owned: 4800

Unread post by jerichoholic »

Isn't this supposed to be live already?
Save 10% at Playing Card Decks here - https://app.marsello.com/Portal/Custom/ ... 561772eaee
Save 10% at Card Addiction here using code VJOSE32 - https://card-addiction.com/?ref=1efow7c06m
Check out my collection - http://portfolio52.com/profile/124
Check out my reviews - https://www.youtube.com/vjose32
The Card Club - https://www.facebook.com/groups/vjose32
Instagram - http://www.instagram.com/vjose32
Game Collection - https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/vjose32
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

jerichoholic wrote:Isn't this supposed to be live already?
Yeah...Video was giving tough time so had to launch without the video. Thanks for your support VJ, much appreciated.

Regards,
Sunish
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Re: Divine Art Playing Cards - Live on Kickstarter

Unread post by guru »

Hit a bit of a bummer guys...Had received the prototype done by TMCards on Saturday. The cards didn't look sturdy enough per my expectations for a 315 GSM black core stock. Cards were not gliding off each other and fans were not happening as they should be. Given that handling etc. is a subjective matter, I took these to folks @ Eclipse Games which is quite close to my home. They also raised concern about the quality of the stock. I did talk to TMC today but looks like this was the best sample they did for me. That said, they did get a few things right like color reproduction is very close to the artwork.

Divine Art was done for collectors who will feel proud of this deck in their collection for the years to come, so I can't compromise on quality. I do understand that quality is relative for some, but I think I've got things clear to me now. I took a leap of faith by trying to get this deck printed in India and it didn't work for me. I'm thinking to cancel the campaign, but pouring it out here in case someone has any advice for me. I did get prototypes done by MPC, a sample deck by TMCards before proceeding with asking them to produce a prototype as well. I'm not sure what else I could have done better. I've reached out to Parksons Cartamundi in India but their MoQ is 10,000 which is not feasible.

Last 2 days have been very tough for me. I've compared every single card of this prototype with other decks I've got multiple times. Something seems amiss.....
PrincessTrouble

Unread post by PrincessTrouble »

Please go back to Expert. I know you want to stay in India, but the quality from EPCC will be very good.
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

PrincessTrouble wrote:Please go back to Expert. I know you want to stay in India, but the quality from EPCC will be very good.
I agree. And if you're concerned about the price I would urge you not to be. More people will back this project if a better printer is used, hence "you've got to spend money to make money."
Räpylätassu

Re: Divine Art Playing Cards

Through Google I found a printer in India called Asha Industries.

But yeah... Even I have to say that using Expert/Legends is your best option.

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
Bruno

Unread post by Bruno »

With all the many considerations that Sunish Chabba has displayed, to infer cheapness is cheapness itself. It simply ain't so.
Cheapness of Spirit least of all.

RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

Bruno wrote:With all the many considerations that Sunish Chabba has displayed, to infer cheapness is cheapness itself. It simply ain't so.
My god Bruno that's the first time I've understood one of your posts or comments. :D

Well said by the way!
Move on, nothing to see here.
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

RichK wrote:
Bruno wrote:With all the many considerations that Sunish Chabba has displayed, to infer cheapness is cheapness itself. It simply ain't so.
My god Bruno that's the first time I've understood one of your posts or comments. :D

Well said by the way!
Maybe people missed a key word in my post. I will emphasize it for you:
vasta41 wrote:I agree. And if you're concerned about the price I would urge you not to be. More people will back this project if a better printer is used, hence "you've got to spend money to make money."
And I'm only implying that money is an issue because all of the printers the artist considered are cheaper than EPCC, LPCC, and USPCC. I'm only trying to help because I would like to see these made and I'd like them to be made by a good company.
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

vasta41 wrote:
RichK wrote:

Well said by the way!
Maybe people missed a key word in my post. I will emphasize it for you:
vasta41 wrote:I agree. And if you're concerned about the price I would urge you not to be. More people will back this project if a better printer is used, hence "you've got to spend money to make money."
And I'm only implying that money is an issue because all of the printers the artist considered are cheaper than EPCC, LPCC, and USPCC. I'm only trying to help because I would like to see these made and I'd like them to be made by a good company.
I totally understood what you said. I believe Sunish wanted a company from India to print the decks further adding to the theme. But the demo deck was crappy and better that he cancel than tarnish his name.

I hope like a bunch of you he goes with better company and succeeds.
Move on, nothing to see here.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Hi All,

Yes, the main motivation was to get this Indian themed deck to be made in India. Now, it won't happen but it is okay at least I gave it a shot.

In retrospect, I think I did a good job in getting the prototype delivered to me or else it would have been a major disappointment. If I'd have got it earlier before campaign launch, it would have saved much of the effort and energy I put in last few days.

I apologize to Max though, who worked over the weekend to get the blogpost in both English & Spanish on his site (Maxplayingcards.com) as well on Social media.

Räpylätassu wrote:Through Google I found a printer in India called Asha Industries.

But yeah... Even I have to say that using Expert/Legends is your best option.
I'd tried contacting Asha long back when I was just going through all available vendors. No response over email or on phone.
PrincessTrouble wrote:Please go back to Expert. I know you want to stay in India, but the quality from EPCC will be very good.
Yeah, EPCC has been one of the best to deal with. Worked with them on the first project as well on DAPC initially. Let's see.
vasta41 wrote: I totally understood what you said. I believe Sunish wanted a company from India to print the decks further adding to the theme. But the demo deck was crappy and better that he cancel than tarnish his name.

I hope like a bunch of you he goes with better company and succeeds.
Yes, If this deck happens now, it will be via the best printers. I have been so immensely stressed over the last few days, don't want this to happen again.

Regards,
Sunish
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

guru wrote:In retrospect, I think I did a good job in getting the prototype delivered to me or else it would have been a major disappointment.
The fact that you canceled the campaign (which I can only imagine wasn't an easy decision) due to the quality of the sample you received speaks volumes. Not all designers would do that and I think it speaks to your work- you'd rather it be as close to perfect as possible than cut corners. Take your time and when this comes back I'm sure it will come back strong!
Räpylätassu

vasta41 wrote:
guru wrote:In retrospect, I think I did a good job in getting the prototype delivered to me or else it would have been a major disappointment.
The fact that you canceled the campaign (which I can only imagine wasn't an easy decision) due to the quality of the sample you received speaks volumes. Not all designers would do that and I think it speaks to your work- you'd rather it be as close to perfect as possible than cut corners. Take your time and when this comes back I'm sure it will come back strong!
Hear, hear!

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Hi All,

I'm back with the preview of the relaunch. Going to click the button tonight itself.....

Here is the URL: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/su ... n=16e7cda5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Appreciate your feedback.

Regards,
Sunish
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

I still don't like the one-way courts but they are beautiful so I can overlook that. I'm not crazy about the front of the tuck either- I wish it popped with color as much as the courts do! But I love everything else and I will definitely be pledging. Great job overall with the redesign and choice of printer!!
Stepchild
Decks Owned: 146

Unread post by Stepchild »

Definite back.