Problems logging in - especially on HTTPS (secure) side

Have questions or comments about the site?
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Problems logging in - especially on HTTPS (secure) side

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

If you are having problems where the system is forcing you to log in again (possibly over and over), clear your cache - usually <Shift><F5> on Windows-based browsers, no clue for Linux/iOS and for Android you have to use the Application manager to clear the cache for the browser(s0 apps. Again, mobile iOS - no clue, sorry.

The fact is that after me fighting with HostGator for almost ten days, they finally installed a new SSL certificate which expires in 1 year (again - don't know why, I pay 2 years at a time for hosting, and it's included - but never gets installed without me having to get online and usually on the phone and complain over and over and over again). When you install an SSL certificate, it changes the IP used for the HTTPS access, and I suppose could mess around with the DNS record for the standard side as well. What that means is that if you have cached cookies or IP to URL mappings, they are going to 'break' the requirement that they match the IP exactly - certainly for the SSL / HTTPS: access, and potentially for normal unencrypted access as well.
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
ecNate
Decks Owned: 400

Re: Problems logging in - especially on HTTPS (secure) side

Unread post by ecNate »

For me nothing fixed the problem related to cache/history, I even cleared EVERYTHING (including all logins/passwords). The only time it would log me out again is when I went to my bookmark (http://unitedcardists.com/search.php?se ... nreadposts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and then immediately would log me out, but manually navigating around was fine before.

I then logged in using HTTPS and then updated my bookmark to HTTPS (search.php?search_id=unreadposts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and now it all works.

So I think the solution is to have everybody fully switch over to HTTPS (which is always a good idea anyhow) as the non-SSL method still has bugs that logs people out no matter how much they clear cache.

- Was using Chrome Version 48.0.2564.116 m (will update and see if any improvement if that was related)

EDIT - something still screwy as I just got logged out again, but using my unread bookmark and jumping around still fine for a while now again.
montecarlojoe
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

The only reason to clear cache / history is to flush all those old URLS that still use the HTTP protocol. (Chrome loves to present you with often visited sites for example)

I have found that chrome will tend to log you out after you close the browser, but IE doesn't. I'll poke about to see if there's a setting for time limited cookies to be turned off.
(Of course this could be to do with the chrome settings!)
4.of.Clubs

Unread post by 4.of.Clubs »

I switched to HTTP a while back from HTTPS since Chrome kept complaining about the certificate, and had issues staying logged in past few days.

Switching back to HTTPS like Nate mentioned fixed the problem. Thanks!
----------> Check out the decks I have for sale! <----------
----------> Also check out my Trade List and Wish List, maybe we can make a deal! <----------
Talisman
Decks Owned: 166

Unread post by Talisman »

Is anyone besides myself having problems with staying logged in even after having the box checked to log in every time you visit the site?
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by shermjack »

Yes, and it has gotten worse recently, but only in my laptop...for some reason, I stay logged on when I use my iPad...strange :?
A deck a day helps keep the addiction at bay!

Check out my collection on Instagram @caratcasecreations
JuFiN
White Whale: Delirium Signature
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by JuFiN »

same here Ipad has remained logged in for a good month now, on PC if I refresh the forums after 30-45 minutes it logs me out. The worst is when im writing a long post and hit submit and it takes me to the log in screen because I have to be logged in to post. Then I have to rewrite the post from the beginning! Gotten into the habit of copying all my posts into a word document before submitting for fear of losing it.
Talisman

Thanks for your responses. I thought I was doing something wrong and now I'm relieved that it's not just me.
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by shermjack »

JuFiN wrote:The worst is when im writing a long post and hit submit and it takes me to the log in screen because I have to be logged in to post. Then I have to rewrite the post from the beginning! Gotten into the habit of copying all my posts into a word document before submitting for fear of losing it.
JuFin, when this happens, try hitting the 'back' button (previous page) to go back to your last page, your message still might be there. Try to re-submit it and if it gives you the same error, then repeat and copy/paste.
A deck a day helps keep the addiction at bay!

Check out my collection on Instagram @caratcasecreations
montecarlojoe
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

I had teething problems myself when we first switched over to https - but after clearing cookies etc and making sure my shortcuts included the HTTPS part I don't have an issue on any platfrom.

THat last one cause the most problems for me! So its a good idea to check any pinned favourites, desktop shortcuts etc, and even delete your history so autofill doesn't try to take you to the HTTP address.
Talisman

My problems started when I deleted my history and cache on Chrome. That's when I noticed.