what to learn first

New to this whole thing? We can help you get started!
Ramke_99
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Decks Owned: 6

what to learn first

Unread post by Ramke_99 »

I'm new to the whole cardistry hobby and was wondering what people recommend to learn first. any suggestions would be appreciated.
JuFiN
Player: Yes
White Whale: Delirium Signature
Decks Owned: 1000

Re: what to learn first

Unread post by JuFiN »

As with most people in this forum im more a collector than a cardist, but I recently learned to Faro / weave shuffle and that is something that is quite cool! i highly reccommend.
Ramke_99

thanks :) I'll have a play with that and see how that goes. I've basically been having a go at anything which looks remotely do-able at the moment. I probably would consider collecting if international postage wasn't so expensive...
haildeception
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 14

Unread post by haildeception »

you know...learning basic moves like the cuts (Charlier cut, swivel cut, swipe cut etc.) will set your hand properly. Then, you can practice tricks which involve light sleight of hand, to begin with. These tricks will settle you in and you'll feel more comfortable. :D
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

I agree with both posters before me. Shuffles, like the faro/weave or the more common riffle shuffle with bridge are easy to learn but takes a bit of time to master, and offers great practical uses.

Simple two-handed (swivel cut) and one-handed (charlier, thumb cut) cuts are also good starting points, with the one-handeds giving your finger/hand muscles and good workout while the two-handeds builds dexterity.

If you have access to high-quality decks and maybe even some fanning powder, I also recommend starting to practice fans early on if they're on your to-learn list. Even just a little bit every time you practice goes a long way, as they take quite a bit of time to get down.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
CardBandit

Unread post by CardBandit »

I also agree with the previous posts. I would also recommend learning something like the swing cut. It is also fairly simple and has practical uses. Starting your fanning early on is really helpful because you can do it bit by bit and your hands get used to it. Just make sure to have a deck with an air cushioned finish. When i tired fanning to begin with it was with a plastic coated deck and I was so mad at my cards :P Once you're used to the feel of the deck and have some good basics down I would recommend these one handed cuts the scissor cut, the revolution cut and then move onto the sybil cut. While the sybil cut is becoming less main stream as of late it is still the fundamental building block for a lot of other moves in cardistry.

Cheers

-Scott
Line
Decks Owned: 7

Unread post by Line »

JuFiN wrote:As with most people in this forum im more a collector than a cardist, but I recently learned to Faro / weave shuffle and that is something that is quite cool! i highly reccommend.

Hiya JuFiN, I am trying the faro weave with a bit of a bent deck, is it easier to do with a brand new deck?

I'm new to trying it since i saw your post today so it could just be my inexperience, but it seems mad hard to make happen.

-Line
My Art Card Deck Kickstarter Campaign: Line's Deck Of Elements
Ramke_99

thanks scott and tom.
I've been playing with this for a couple of months now and can mannage a fairly decent and consistent sybil cut, five faced sybil, the werm and other assorted cuts as mentioned above.
I normally practice with standard Queen's cards which i think are similar to that of a basic bicycle only i can get them from just about any supermarket instead of paying heaps in postage. they have a nice feel although when they are new they have a habit of slipping appart when trying to do cuts where you want the packets to stay together, but this goes away as the deck is worked in. I am planning on ordering a few vitruoso decks soon as have heard of their reputation amongst card flourishers.

-ramke
EndersGame

Unread post by EndersGame »

This is an older thread, but since this sub-forum doesn't get a lot of traffic, I figured it's still worth posting a link to a collection of video tutorials that I compiled for beginner cardists:

Top Moves and Flourishes That Beginners in Cardistry Should Learn
--
BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame => Playing Card Reviews <=>Magic Reviews <=> Board Game Reviews <=